Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Ezekiel Elliott, Cowboys

Ok hypothetical time guys. If You magically knew for a fact that Zeke were to get exactly 300 carries this year, where would you take him?

I'd probably take him 2nd after Djohns.

the positives about dak are intangibles, particularly leadership. this sets him head and shoulders above carter from the very beginning. the real test will be how well he can learn to see the field.

We not only took Carter in the 2nd round, we moved up (w/NO) to get him. Getting Dak in the 4th alone gives him a leg up.... But yea - it would be nice if he's not a pot smoking idiot like Carter was too - be a huge plus. Not convinced he's an NFL starting qb - but I'm willing to give him a chance.

We not only took Carter in the 2nd round, we moved up (w/NO) to get him. Getting Dak in the 4th alone gives him a leg up.... But yea - it would be nice if he's not a pot smoking idiot like Carter was too - be a huge plus. Not convinced he's an NFL starting qb - but I'm willing to give him a chance.

I think at the very least, you will have a capable backup QB. I think he will be able to start eventually, but its likely a 2 year timeline. Right now, I dont even know that he goes in to start if Romo gets hurt. hes probably #3 on the depth chart.

yeah, i think he's a good project, especially given the QB focus of the staff (garrett/linehan/wilson/romo). definitely keeping an eye on eligible college QBs this season, though.

Of the Dallas RB, the rookie has, at this point, more interest for me.

Question is

1. Is it the grass greener other side take. same as wanting an nfl backup to take over the play calling. ie healthy scratch.

2. Perception negatively of the other rb on the roster

3. is it the belief this guy will be among the few rookies having impact for their team at a fantasy relevant position.

4. perception of Oline dominant

5. veteran core on Offense at a turning point and alignment, if only they can remain healthy

For me, it has to deal with

1. devaluing McFadden. Even though he had a good year last year. Finally played a full season. Finally got a 1,000 yards. Not "finally"

2. Adding of Morris. Before the draft, who is the #1?

3. Perception post draft the Rook will have meaningful opportunity to be fantasy relevant

Except for injury, degrading of McFadden/Morris. Likely the rook will be not start.

That stated, is the hope for

a) 5 touches per game = 80

b] 10 touches per game = 160

c) 15 touches per game = 140

Except for, I do not believe c) is possible. Best is for b]. for ranking at this point, need to perceive he is likely an a) with big play impact.

Finally, other than McFadden and Morris. Biggest reason he may not have much factor is. Rooks tend to need to learn protection. Is more important for Dallas to keep Romo healthy.

Question is

1. Is it the grass greener other side take. same as wanting an nfl backup to take over the play calling. ie healthy scratch.

3. is it the belief this guy will be among the few rookies having impact for their team at a fantasy relevant position.

5. veteran core on Offense at a turning point and alignment, if only they can remain healthy

1. devaluing McFadden. Even though he had a good year last year. Finally played a full season. Finally got a 1,000 yards. Not "finally"

3. Perception post draft the Rook will have meaningful opportunity to be fantasy relevant

Except for injury, degrading of McFadden/Morris. Likely the rook will be not start.

Except for, I do not believe c) is possible. Best is for b]. for ranking at this point, need to perceive he is likely an a) with big play impact.

Finally, other than McFadden and Morris. Biggest reason he may not have much factor is. Rooks tend to need to learn protection. Is more important for Dallas to keep Romo healthy.

Huh?

Question is

Zeke will pound the rock all day long for the Cowboys , Jerry Jones is going to want it that way .

That will help protect Romo .

The biggest rave of all about Zeke is his pass blocking

Zeke wasn't here last year... The "veteran" pass protectors here got him 2 broken clavicles and a missed season. Yea, let's do that again.

Question is

Question is

Huh?

Reminder of why not to try to hard to justify your take.

Of the 3 RB options in Big D. I am only hopeful of Ezekiel Elliott

While McFadden stats from last years should make me realize he might be a possible RB talent

Although this team has added Morris.

Only the unjustifiable faith in an unproven rookie with the potential to recreate the excitement of a rookie Randy Moss.

So while the summation did little to even convince myself of not being excited about paper lion that is Ezekiel Elliott.

If give the opportunity at the right point in the draft. I will want Elliot ahead of McFadden and Morris.

This stated, am I walking down that path towards disappointment that will not be realized until next season, as this season plays out the worst kind of fantasy hell. an RBBC that benefits the teams aspirations towards gettng a ring. While disappointing all in fantasy as 2100 yards is split 3 ways.

I am the Guy that buys a year early. that guy that buys on hope. they guy that will likely miss the championship again this year.

Deal with it.

Luna bro you are way overthinking things. It's fantasy football, we just throw poo at the wall and some of it sticks. Zeke is just an Rb in a good position to do some good things if he stays healthy. He is a no brainier pick because he figures to see the ball and has speculative talent. Draft him, start him, pray, cry. That's all you can do, relax man, there is way less to this game than we all make it out to be. We are in control of a minuscule amount of what goes into a victory each week.

My only concern is the offense if Romo gets hurt again. Seeing how he and Carson have sort of switched places, that might be likely.

DMC to miss next 2 months - out with a broken elbow he suffered over the Memorial Day weekend. (per the 105.3 the Fan, Dallas)

Zeke just leap frogged past all discussion of who will be the "guy'. McFadden isn't going to sit out 8 weeks, then all of the sudden just jump back into shape (or his spot) as the #1 guy with just a couple weeks before the season starts.

DMC to miss next 2 months - out with a broken elbow he suffered over the Memorial Day weekend. (per the 105.3 the Fan, Dallas)

Zeke just leap frogged past all discussion of who will be the "guy'. McFadden isn't going to sit out 8 weeks, then all of the sudden just jump back into shape (or his spot) as the #1 guy with just a couple weeks before the season starts.

This is also when the injuries start piling up for McFadden. He will be out for a while and then he'll get another minor injury when he comes back and then they just add up and eventually he misses several games. If there was any doubt before...

Just solidifies the fact that Alfred Morris is going to be the primary handcuff for Zeke owners

Just solidifies the fact that Alfred Morris is going to be the primary handcuff for Zeke owners

Might be the case. This def should ease a few concerns for Zeke but either way the hype will increase.

Might be the case. This def should ease a few concerns for Zeke but either way the hype will increase.

I don't necessarily believe the hype for Zeke will increase too much to be honest.

I think what DMC's injury does is JUSTIFY the hype that so many are clinging to with Zeke.

Zeke still the number one ranked rb .

Last preseason one fantasy source advocated drafting a certain TE with the #1 overall pick.

Today, he was on taking Ezekiel Elliott as the #1 RB, and the #1 overall.

Jerry told his GM that they were going to draft Elliot. I guarantee he is the feature back since it was Jerrys pick. Otherwise heads will roll.

We don't even need to over analyze this. McFadden and Morris both blow, which is why Zeke is the feature back. I watched Alf hold the ball with both arms all year last season terrified of fumbling over running faster. He's just not the same guy.

Zeke reminds me of Edgerrine James. He had a pretty good rookie year.

That's because, never forcing anyone to punt, they don't get any practice.

Lol, true! :D................................:(

That's because, never forcing anyone to punt, they don't get any practice.

This is solid fantasy analysis.

We don't even need to over analyze this. McFadden and Morris both blow, which is why Zeke is the feature back. I watched Alf hold the ball with both arms all year last season terrified of fumbling over running faster. He's just not the same guy.

Zeke reminds me of Edgerrine James. He had a pretty good rookie year.

If The Edge played today I'd pretty much take him over any back, especially playing behind the Dallas line.

I'm on the short bus of folks here who think Elliott will be a top 2-3 back. Maybe even the best depending on how Bell comes back.

I'm on the short bus of folks here who think Elliott will be a top 2-3 back. Maybe even the best depending on how Bell comes back.

He better be, and this 'play defense by offense' strategy better work... Bcoz the defensive side of the ball is looking damn near putrid... Lawrence and Gregory gone for 4 games, now stupid ass McClain gone for 10 - and we all know it's just a matter of time before Lee goes down... But hey, at least we drafted a LB who MIGHT play in 2017....

If somebody has more patience then me , it would be nice to look at number 1 rbs taken through the years if posted

He is going into my drafts as the number one rb in ppr or non ppr .

At this time I'm not in any non ppr leagues .

He better be, and this 'play defense by offense' strategy better work... Bcoz the defensive side of the ball is looking damn near putrid... Lawrence and Gregory gone for 4 games, now stupid ass McClain gone for 10 - and we all know it's just a matter of time before Lee goes down... But hey, at least we drafted a LB who MIGHT play in 2017....

some interesting analysis has been done about the potential 2016 D compared to the 2014 D. for example, leading into 2014, DAL had lost both of their proven sack producers (ware, hatcher), along with lee. their front 7 was a bunch of no-names, street FAs, and rookies, and their back end was weaker than it is now. from a talent perspective, the 2014 defense was substantially worse than the historically bad 2013 unit.

the result was 12-4.

now compare that unit to 2016, which will be stronger at almost every spot on the front 7 (starters and depth) and substantially better at FS.

• Like 1

There's gonna be a lesson to learn here looking back in 2017 I imagine.

Either we all bought into the hype or he's actually the real deal.

some interesting analysis has been done about the potential 2016 D compared to the 2014 D. for example, leading into 2014, DAL had lost both of their proven sack producers (ware, hatcher), along with lee. their front 7 was a bunch of no-names, street FAs, and rookies, and their back end was weaker than it is now. from a talent perspective, the 2014 defense was substantially worse than the historically bad 2013 unit.

the result was 12-4.

now compare that unit to 2016, which will be stronger at almost every spot on the front 7 (starters and depth) and substantially better at FS.

Obviously the unstated concern would be Romo staying healthy? If they go to the left-handed smurf at backup you may as well start planning what to do with the #1 overall next year. I do like Elliott. A lot.

Also, concern #2 would be Dez? Is he even right yet?

Obviously the unstated concern would be Romo staying healthy? If they go to the left-handed smurf at backup you may as well start planning what to do with the #1 overall next year. I do like Elliott. A lot.

oh sure--that's why the "use 1.04 on a QB" argument made no real sense. if romo goes down, the team will almost certainly be probably be picking top 10 again, and possibly top 5. what elliott brings to that situation is a way to take pressure off a talented rookie, much like wilson's situation in SEA.

as for dez, IIRC he was fully cleared to participate towards the end of OTAs, but was not included in team drills--only individual--as a precaution. as i understand it, he's running and (much more importantly) cutting at full speed.

I don't know if Dez is, or ever has been or will be 'right'. I do know he's a hell of a fantasy asset when both he and Romo are healthy though.

• Like 1

...now compare that unit to 2016, which will be stronger at almost every spot on the front 7 (starters and depth) and substantially better at FS.

I wish I had some of what you're smoking, bcoz I see a front 7 full of spares and non playmakers.. We've the suspension knucklehead brothers out, which means T. Crawford gets pushed out and put of position. Which also means we move up the Regular Joe crowd, minus Irving - he has potential.. And don't even get me started on the crap we've at LB. I've been screaming to cut McClain since beginning of last year, now he's burned our asses again. S. Lee, please - he's about as dependable as 1 ply toilet paper, and about as durable too... We were dead ass last in takeaways and 21 sacks behind the SB Champs - and that was with Hardy. Would love to know where or how we expect to get to the qb or get turnovers this year w/out any playmakers.

I wish I had some of what you're smoking, bcoz I see a front 7 full of spares and non playmakers.. We've the suspension knucklehead brothers out, which means T. Crawford gets pushed out and put of position. Which also means we move up the Regular Joe crowd, minus Irving - he has potential.. And don't even get me started on the crap we've at LB. I've been screaming to cut McClain since beginning of last year, now he's burned our asses again. S. Lee, please - he's about as dependable as 1 ply toilet paper, and about as durable too... We were dead ass last in takeaways and 21 sacks behind the SB Champs - and that was with Hardy. Would love to know where or how we expect to get to the qb or get turnovers this year w/out any playmakers.

i'm not saying that it's a good squad--merely that they're in better shape than they were going into 2014. look at the comparative rosters, and what leaps out is that if nothing else, they're much younger and much better athletes. crawford isn't going to move outside. irving and tapper are physical freaks, mayowa is substantially better than any DE on the roster in 2014, and russell is marinelli's whipping boy (which is a good thing). at DT, thornton is worlds better than hayden ever was--an actual disruptor from the 1-tech, and collins has the physical tools to do damage. and then you have a fully recovered crawford.

compare that lineup to the 2014 front 4 rotation, which was garbage. and it doesn't even include lawrence or gregory.

then LB. remember our starting 3 going into 2014? mcclain, carter, and durant. except when it was hitchens or wilber due to the revolving door injury situation.

mostly, think about your last sentence (in 2016 looking back at 2015), and think about 2014 looking back at 2013. the 2014 team was coming off one of the worst defensive performances in the history of the league...and on top of that, they lost ware and lee. but instead of sad-sacking about everything they didn't have, a team of no-names and rejects went out and won the division title.

and this defense is miles ahead of that one talent-wise.

and this defense is miles ahead of that one talent-wise.

Oh the heralded Paper Champions chant - nobody has mastered that logo more than us since 1995... I will give you, on paper, we look to be better. The additions of Mayowa and Thorton should help, one would think. Then again, Mayowa was let go w/out much resistance - how many teams just "let go" good DEs? ...... But again, it's duct tape and patch work - same song, different verse around here... And as far as our LB problem - and make no mistake, it's a huge problem, we have no solutions on the horizon. I can't believe the locals aren't as mad as me at the Jones boys for trusting McClain to pull his head out his ass. Good freaking Lord, did they not see this coming???? And S. Lee? He was about 3 concussions short in 2014 of what he is now in 2016 - I have ZERO faith he will see even half the season this year.

But hey, it isn't all bad. We did draft a guy with our 2nd Round pick - who MIGH PLAY IN 2018....

Oh the heralded Paper Champions chant - nobody has mastered that logo more than us since 1995... I will give you, on paper, we look to be better. The additions of Mayowa and Thorton should help, one would think. Then again, Mayowa was let go w/out much resistance - how many teams just "let go" good DEs? ...... But again, it's duct tape and patch work - same song, different verse around here... And as far as our LB problem - and make no mistake, it's a huge problem, we have no solutions on the horizon. I can't believe the locals aren't as mad as me at the Jones boys for trusting McClain to pull his head out his ass. Good freaking Lord, did they not see this coming???? And S. Lee? He was about 3 concussions short in 2014 of what he is now in 2016 - I have ZERO faith he will see even half the season this year.

But hey, it isn't all bad. We did draft a guy with our 2nd Round pick - who MIGH PLAY IN 2018....

you go to war with the army you have, not the army you want. i want mcclain out, period. he gets fat and soft when he doesn't work out, and 10 weeks without structured workouts means that he can't possibly be in football shape at any point in the season. and even if he did, his talent on the field doesn't offset his effect on the locker room. they need to cut ties with him just like they did with hardy.

as for the smith pick, had that come in the 3rd round, i'd be turning cartwheels. 2nd stings. but bear in mind, he was like plan D or plan E.

I may completely miss the boat on Zeke but I have a tough time with tossing what's looking like a 1st or 2nd round pick on a rookie I've never seen play a snap in the NFL.