Sign in to follow this  
shotsup

70's or 90's Music draft

I honestly can't guarantee that I won't pick two Beatles songs though. Maybe we can limit how early in the draft you are allowed to take a second one.

Yeah Im not going to not pick a great song because that artist is already on my list

I would be to a 90s draft what the Cleveland Browns are to an NFL draft.

:lol:

I'd prefer 90s next.

To me the 60s will greatly resemble the 70s whereas the 90s would be something totally different.

One thing I learned is that a great deal of stuff i thought was 70s was really 60s.

I agree. Also I'm inclined to sit out the 90s and maybe get back in on the 60s. Unless you need the bodies. But looking at "best of" lists for the 90s... :unsure:

I agree. Also I'm inclined to sit out the 90s and maybe get back in on the 60s. Unless you need the bodies. But looking at "best of" lists for the 90s... :unsure:

Once I started my list...many of the songs that I know I will draft and will get drafted...I roll my eyes at them. There are some iconic things at the top of that draft...and then it gets into a lot of things that were pretty catchy but are, by all means, not all time great songs.

Definitely don't need 20 rounds for 15 teams there. Holy crap we would be drafting just utter crap (and Im probably one who likes that ear of music more than others here it seems)

90s are a rough decade. Everything was great when I went in the Army in August 1989 and off to Germany (and then Saudi/Iraq) in January 1990. By the time I got back in 1992, the music scene had turned to sh*t. I wasn't even 21 years old.

90s are a rough decade. Everything was great when I went in the Army in August 1989 and off to Germany (and then Saudi/Iraq) in January 1990. By the time I got back in 1992, the music scene had turned to sh*t. I wasn't even 21 years old.

I really disagree but whatever, I think the 90's was the start of commercial sucking but the start of smaller less commercial bands having strong followings large enough to "make it"

I really disagree but whatever, I think the 90's was the start of commercial sucking but the start of smaller less commercial bands having strong followings large enough to "make it"

Let me just leave it as thee music turned in a direction that I didn't appreciate. I'm sure others were more welcoming. It's all subjective.

Ill stfu. I promise

Don't make promises you can't keep. :nono:

Ed's a good guy and made good picks. It wasn't my idea to give him grief but I could see how it grated on people.

As for this time, no one. Our slowest drafter this time was Sux, but I've no gripes. I'd be more offended by the person asking him to leave.

It wasnt the fact that ed was slow that p!ssed me off.

Its that hed come to the bored an bullsh!t in other threads and not bother to come make a pick, and then laugh about it that p!ssed me off.

But its cool. Eds good people and Im over it.

Once I started my list...many of the songs that I know I will draft and will get drafted...I roll my eyes at them. There are some iconic things at the top of that draft...and then it gets into a lot of things that were pretty catchy but are, by all means, not all time great songs.

Definitely don't need 20 rounds for 15 teams there. Holy crap we would be drafting just utter crap (and Im probably one who likes that ear of music more than others here it seems)

I love the 90s. It was my high school and college years. Those tunes will always hold a special place in my heart.

But yeah, in terms of all time songs, it cant hold a candle to any of the three decades before it. Hell, if we did one draft of 1960-1999, the nineties would be lucky to have five picks total.

Still better than any decade thats come since sadly.

Still better than any decade thats come since sadly.

I can't comment on that. I'm so removed culturally by way of music. Since I was already turned off to the music of the 90s in the 90s, when I left in 2001, I'd made zero effort to keep up.

Still there were signs of being hopeful. Some Chinese kids in one of my classes introduced me to a nice Westlife cover version of Season in the Sun and Dobie Gray's Drift Away got a quality dusting off by Uncle Cracker.

I can't comment on that. I'm so removed culturally by way of music. Since I was already turned off to the music of the 90s in the 90s, when I left in 2001, I'd made zero effort to keep up.

Still there were signs of being hopeful. Some Chinese kids in one of my classes introduced me to a nice Westlife cover version of Season in the Sun and Dobie Gray's Drift Away got a quality dusting off by Uncle Cracker.

Its kind of become a very diffused musical marketplace. There is good stuff in whatever genre floats your boat. Its just hard to find. Everything is more split up, smaller.

Pop and the top 40 is a focking wasteland generally. And even much of the good stuff made now is just rehashing of stuff thats been done better in the past.

It used to annoy me when my dad and others would say that todays music is crap compared to the 60s and 70s and 80s. I wrote it off as old cranky man stuff. Then I made an effort to get into older music. Damn it if they werent right.

Ok well it is really hard to discuss current music seriously when you say uncle cracker is a bright spot

Ok well it is really hard to discuss current music seriously when you say uncle cracker is a bright spot

Don't try. I couldn't name but a handful of artists. I haven't kept up. You'll mostly get a blank stare. :mellow:

I will say that Uncle Kraker's Drift Away really caught my ear as well done. I'm not familiar with anything else he's done but he's 1-fer-1 and batting 1.000 as far as I'm concerned. Knowing what I know, I wouldn't mind seeing what else he's put out.

Yeah Im not going to not pick a great song because that artist is already on my list

I saw everyone using that method in the 70s draft, not sure I would. Now I think it's easy enough to pick 20 different bands, but if I was in that draft and picked Baba O'Reily in the first round and it was round 20, I would have very seriously considered taking "Getting in Tune" by The Who too...just too great a song not to take. That's just me though. I rather have 2 GREAT songs by one group rather than pick a song that isn't nearly as good, just for the sake of variety.

Whatever though start picking, so I can get some more music I have overlooked for my playlists.

Awesome. That makes me a happy TEK.

huh?

I saw everyone using that method in the 70s draft, not sure I would. Now I think it's easy enough to pick 20 different bands, but if I was in that draft and picked Baba O'Reily in the first round and it was round 20, I would have very seriously considered taking "Getting in Tune" by The Who too...just too great a song not to take. That's just me though. I rather have 2 GREAT songs by one group rather than pick a song that isn't nearly as good, just for the sake of variety.

Whatever though start picking, so I can get some more music I have overlooked for my playlists.

Led Zepplin's Immigrant Song wasn't drafted. That's rough.

Its kind of become a very diffused musical marketplace. There is good stuff in whatever genre floats your boat. Its just hard to find. Everything is more split up, smaller.

Pop and the top 40 is a focking wasteland generally. And even much of the good stuff made now is just rehashing of stuff thats been done better in the past.

It used to annoy me when my dad and others would say that todays music is crap compared to the 60s and 70s and 80s. I wrote it off as old cranky man stuff. Then I made an effort to get into older music. Damn it if they werent right.

I started tuning out in the 90's when the boy bands and overly produced former Mouseketeers started dominating the music scene(that's when I started discovering older stuff). It was actually very similar to the 50's and 60's in that a lot of acts were just creations of the industry, didn't write their own music, were discovered through auditions(and back then sometimes didn't even record the actual tracks on the records). Obviously that doesn't apply to every artist of the time but it became way too friggin common place then.

That's why it was on my list of 20 great songs you guys missed. I had Nazareth's Love Hurts too on my first draft list, but it missed the cut when I narrowed it down.

Really can't believe Immigrant Song didn't get picked though, if I was drafting Led Zep songs it's in my top 5.

That's why it was on my list of 20 great songs you guys missed. I had Nazareth's Love Hurts too on my first draft list, but it missed the cut when I narrowed it down.

Really can't believe Immigrant Song didn't get picked though, if I was drafting Led Zep songs it's in my top 5.

Wasn't a single greatful dead song picked

Yes. It's the Zeppelin song where they really went heavy. Zeppelin wasn't a metal band but this song proves they had what it takes had they wanted to go that route.

Wasn't a single greatful dead song picked

I don't like them but it's surprising that the other fourteen of us all don't either.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I was surprised Elvis Costello went 20 rounds and not one pick....Alison, Watching the Detectives, Less Than Zero, Radio Radio...all good 70's songs.

I don't like them but it's surprising that the other fourteen of us all don't either.

I don't like them a bit but if I was doing a draft by popular vote I would have had something

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I was surprised Elvis Costello went 20 rounds and not one pick....Alison, Watching the Detectives, Less Than Zero, Radio Radio...all good 70's songs.

Agreed

Yeah this. Tons of great songs and albums in the 90s but most of it was what the kids were still calling alternative.

Same although I had Friend of the Devil on my list if it went any longer then 20 rounds

I like him. Thought he was more in the 80s. :dunno:

Also on my Zeppelin list was

The Rover

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Out On the Tiles

I almost picked Alison. Went another direction instead.

What did the Deadhead say when he stopped smoking pot?

Also on my Zeppelin list was

The Rover

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Out On the Tiles

Yeah, my next two Zeppelin songs were In My Time of Dying and The Rover.

What if we set it up that an artist can't be drafted twice in the same round and only once per team?

Example (Hypothetically): Nirvana is drafted by Team A with the first overall pick, they cannot be drafted again in Round 1 and never again by Team A.

What if we set it up that an artist can't be drafted twice in the same round and only once per team?

Example (Hypothetically): Nirvana is drafted by Team A with the first overall pick, they cannot be drafted again in Round 1 and never again by Team A.

No. Then the person at the corners get first dibs each round on artists taken the previous round. Or if you want the Beatles and you pick in the middle of the draft, you can't pick until round 15 or so and you're stuck contemplating if Yellow Submarine is worth it or not.

No. Then the person at the corners get first dibs each round on artists taken the previous round. Or if you want the Beatles and you pick in the middle of the draft, you can't pick until round 15 or so and you're stuck contemplating if Yellow Submarine is worth it or not.

Yeah, that's a good point.

It's not broken. Don't fix it.

Through two drafts nobody has ever double dipped artists. That's been the honor system rather than a rule and may not be the case in the 60s.

I have tried several times to get into the dead. It just feels like a band that should be up my alley.

But I just dont get it.