Sign in to follow this  
Old School

Divorce

I think it gets a bit hairy because the wife, typically, sacrifices her career for taking care of the family. As a result, she hasnt earned or saved as much and her long-term earning potential likely took a hit. So, she wants half and I can appreciate that. Not saying I would like it, but it makes some sense.

That's the theory. But if she's working at dressbarn or Pottery Barn or Beer Barn, that noise.

Maybe about 1% of the women I've ever seen working in that kind of environment are working towards some other larger grander career other than Mrs degree

Just on principle I can't imagine asking for half the value of what something someone else bought on their own appreciates for, simply because we were married. Even if you technically can pursue it, how does it not feel like stealing? I wouldn't enjoy profit that was at someone's earnest expense. I would assume most people feel that way, but all the lawyering up paints a different picture. I get that there can be geuinely messy or convoluted scenerios, but if you bought a house before me and I'll I've done is pay for some landscaping, it's yours, but I'll take the 2K back.

Obviously, I agree. Her parents were a big player in the divorce. She said they wanted the money they paid for the wedding (and then some). I pointed out I didnt want a big wedding. That was her thing. She didnt really have a response to that. I think she felt guilty.

I was bitter for a bit, but like I said, decided to take it as a learning experience.

I wouldnt be as happy as I am now if it didnt happen. Im just so so so thankful I never got her pregnant.

I think it gets a bit hairy because the wife, typically, sacrifices her career for taking care of the family. As a result, she hasnt earned or saved as much and her long-term earning potential likely took a hit. So, she wants half and I can appreciate that. Not saying I would like it, but it makes some sense.

Yeah, when there has been true investment by that person (and time is precious), it makes sense.

In my case, there were no kids and she had a job as a teacher. She didnt sacrifice her career

Obviously, I agree. Her parents were a big player in the divorce. She said they wanted the money they paid for the wedding (and then some). I pointed out I didnt want a big wedding. That was her thing. She didnt really have a response to that. I think she felt guilty.

I was bitter for a bit, but like I said, decided to take it as a learning experience.

I wouldnt be as happy as I am now if it didnt happen. Im just so so so thankful I never got her pregnant.

Well that's good (and bad) that it was probably her parents. Not that it's fair but it's a little more understandable. Whatever the cause for the breakdown, they're going to put the weight of it on you. So then if they did sink money into the wedding, it feels kind of justified in their perception to recover it and possibly then some.

If she had access to it, I am not sure. She likely wouldnt spend it uncontrollably, but she would have zero problem spending even more than she already does on unneeded things.

For example, we built our house 9 years ago and wants to drop $20k on changing countertops, fireplace tile, etc. If she knew what I had in my other account, she would push hard to get that done now.

That sucks. How would you react if you found out she had a hidden cash reserve?

Well that's good (and bad) that it was probably her parents. Not that it's fair but it's a little more understandable. Whatever the cause for the breakdown, they're going to put the weight of it on you. So then if they did sink money into the wedding, it feels kind of justified in their perception to recover it and possibly then some.

Unless the $ given for the wedding was a loan, there should be no expectation to recoup any of it.

That sucks. How would you react if you found out she had a hidden cash reserve?

I would be thrilled!

I never got married. I have had multiple long term girlfriend's. Tons of w hores. I always remembered how my parents divorce went and it scared me too much. My parents divorce at 8 derailed my life.

That being said. I assume everyone here got screwed in their divorce. Divorce court and friend of the court are not set up to be on any way friendly to men. At all. Its our punishment

I never got married. I have had multiple long term girlfriend's. Tons of w hores. I always remembered how my parents divorce went and it scared me too much. My parents divorce at 8 derailed my life.

That being said. I assume everyone here got screwed in their divorce. Divorce court and friend of the court are not set up to be on any way friendly to men. At all. Its our punishment

I was upset at our marriage failing, but signed the papers and agreed at the division of our assets. The only difference of opinion revolved around a car recently purchased for her, the majority of which was paid for by me. After some discussion sans lawyers, she paid me half the vehicle's value.

If you don't have kids, it doesn't have to be terrible.

God you guys sure make marriage sound wonderful. I just cant wait.

Ill pass.

It's difficult man. It really is. But you'll know it's true love when you start wearing condoms with the other girls you're banging on the side.

• Like 1

Never been married.

You know it's legal now. For your type

You know it's legal now. For your type

Really? Dude can marry the cat he's focking now? Society really has come a long way!!!

Really? Dude can marry the cat he's focking now? Society really has come a long way!!!

This is going to make Gypsy mad.

Old school...Do you trust your wife?

Not sure I understand this question.

I trust she will not cheat in the secks department.

I trust she will spend every dime we make, and much much more, and continue to pile up debt with the attitude of- dont worry about it.

I trust she will continue to argue about everything we try to talk about.

Not sure I understand this question.

I trust she will not cheat in the secks department.

I trust she will spend every dime we make, and much much more, and continue to pile up debt with the attitude of- dont worry about it.

I trust she will continue to argue about everything we try to talk about.

Because if you do trust her, there's no reason you can't keep that thirty-five thousand...If you want to keep all that money, give it to your wife. The IRS allows a one-time only gift to your spouse for up to sixty thousand dollars...tax-free...you do need someone to set up the tax-free gift for you, and it'll cost you, a lawyer for example...I suppose I could set it up for you. That would save you some money. You get the forms, I'll prepare them for you, nearly free of charge. I just ask for three beers a piece for me and my fellow Geeks.

Because if you do trust her, there's no reason you can't keep that thirty-five thousand...If you want to keep all that money, give it to your wife. The IRS allows a one-time only gift to your spouse for up to sixty thousand dollars...tax-free...you do need someone to set up the tax-free gift for you, and it'll cost you, a lawyer for example...I suppose I could set it up for you. That would save you some money. You get the forms, I'll prepare them for you, nearly free of charge. I just ask for three beers a piece for me and my fellow Geeks.

Ah yes! I forgot about that perfectly legal agreement!

Ah yes! I forgot about that perfectly legal agreement!

Andy Dufresne seemed pretty confident in it.

Unless the $ given for the wedding was a loan, there should be no expectation to recoup any of it.

Personally I agree, but that context made me get (not respect) where they were coming from.

Ill pass.

Don’t let all these Debbie downers ruin a good divorce thread. It’s the best part of marriage.

Is the GF the reason for the divorce?

I was unhappy before i met my gf. I settled when I married. I was content at the time. When i finally told all my friends we were splitting, they were like yeah, you two didn't match all that well. I met my gf before I told my ex we were splitting. She isnt the reason since it would have happened eventually anyway, but she moved it along quicker

I trust her not to fock me over.

Damn it do you guys realize how hard it is to work that Shawshank Redemption quote into a post?

• Like 1

I was unhappy before i met my gf. I settled when I married. I was content at the time. When i finally told all my friends we were splitting, they were like yeah, you two didn't match all that well. I met my gf before I told my ex we were splitting. She isnt the reason since it would have happened eventually anyway, but she moved it along quicker

Fair enough

Damn it do you guys realize how hard it is to work that Shawshank Redemption quote into a post?

I dont remember the quote. Probably because I have the memory of an elephant...... that is dead

Ill pass.

Stack money instead, you wont be missing out. I only got married because Im poor. If I was loaded theres zero chance Id be settled down. Real talk, I love my wife to death but if I won a lottery or something Id leave her and just travel and party and bang sluts til I died. Money is all that matters, Love is a distant second.

Im only saying what most men think but dont want to say.

Stack money instead, you wont be missing out. I only got married because Im poor. If I was loaded theres zero chance Id be settled down. Real talk, I love my wife to death but if I won a lottery or something Id leave her and just travel and party and bang sluts til I died. Money is all that matters, Love is a distant second.

Im only saying what most men think but dont want to say.

I have no desire to bang sluts til I die. Ive done a bit of that between marriages and it pales in comparison to the life I have with my wife and kids.

I guess that makes me unlike most men.

I have no desire to bang sluts til I die. Ive done a bit of that between marriages and it pales in comparison to the life I have with my wife and kids.

This. I had a good segment of My life where I was raking in everything. I had the kevorka. It does get boring after a while. Nothing compares to having my family and my little girls. Not even close.

Nah, once you’ve experienced a few women, it’s all pink on the inside. And dating sucks too. I think most guys realize marriage is pretty greta with the right person - the tough part is finding her.

Nah, once youve experienced a few women, its all pink on the inside. And dating sucks too. I think most guys realize marriage is pretty greta with the right person - the tough part is finding her.

Or- admitting you made a huge mistake, and determining when its better for all involved to simply move on.

Doesn't matter. Divorce sucks regardless.

It's especially heartbreaking when you lose that loving feline.

I am going through it. It should end up being uncontested. I haven't ponied up anything yet since we are hammering out the details ourselves

How did your exit go over?

Walk out after a fight and then ask for the divorce?

File/ serve papers and move out at the same time?

You still in the house while hammering out the details?

Divorced 14 years ago. Amicable and not contested. No lawyers.

It helps not to have kids, but try not to be petty as your assets are split and purge all bad feelings toward your ex ASAP.

Thats pretty solid advice.