Sign in to follow this  
sderk

Analysis: Yes, artificial intelligence can be racist

Thank God we have Cortez to help us understand all of this complex racism involved in AI.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/analysis-yes-artificial-intelligence-can-be-racist/ar-BBSFOWw?ocid=ientp

But machine learning has a dark side. If not used properly, it can make decisions that perpetuate the racial biases that exist in society. It’s not because the computers are racist. It’s because they learn by looking at the world as the way it is, not as it ought to be.

Recently, newly elected Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) made this point in a discussion at a Martin Luther King Jr. Day event in New York City.

“Algorithms are still made by human beings, and those algorithms are still pegged to basic human assumptions,” she told writer Ta-Nehisi Coates at the annual MLK Now event. “They’re just automated assumptions. And if you don’t fix the bias, then you are just automating the bias.”

...Here, instead of looking at the lag time, Caliskan looked at how closely the computer thought two terms were related. She found that African-American names in the program were less associated with the word “pleasant” than white names. And female names were more associated with words relating to family than male names.

AI data is built on success and failure. If you were going to create an algorithm to see which 10 year olds were going to be future NBA prospects, what data would you start with. Probably the makeup of the current NBA. Is that racist or is it just data?

As the great philosopher Nigel Tufnel once opined, "What's wrong with being sexy?"

Lol at a machine being racist/sexist. In general white men are the best and we are doing the world a disservice by not ruling as God intended

AI has been known to be racist/sexist for quite some time. Nothing new.

What do you expect from someone in Philly?

Lol at a machine being racist/sexist. In general white men are the best and we are doing the world a disservice by not ruling as God intended

Yes, and after you're gone we'll all look back at when you ruled and how things ran in a timely manner with great fondness.

Yes, and after you're gone we'll all look back at when you ruled and how things ran in a timely manner with great fondness.

We arent going anywhere. We will continue to progress society even though we have the smallest pool of people.

As the great philosopher Nigel Tufnel once opined, "What's wrong with being sexy?"

"You should've seen the original cover. It wasn't a glove, I'll tell ya that."

• Like 1

America has no idea what racism is!

rac·ism

[ˈrāˌsizəm]

NOUN

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Confirms the kind of racial bias I expect to find out there. AI makes decisions based only on data, if those decisions are something you do not like then its evil. ANY utterance or decision that does not directly support the dogma of the SJW is automatically evil, proof against this mentality identifies other evil stuff.....

It's some of the most inane lines of thought since the Germans tried it.

America has no idea what racism is!

rac·ism

[ˈrāˌsizəm]

NOUN

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Just listen to Obama, Jackson and Sharpton. You will hear racism in it's truest from.

Interesting part is if you search Google on "Trump" you get different results than if you search Bing on "Trump".

It's all encompassing as far as politics and race and agenda. This isn't about AI, it's about people who believe it's AI. It's all code is the fact.

Cortez is the biggest idiot on this planet next to MDC.

I was told here by the smart guys that algorithms cannot be biased.

If I recall correctly they were defending Facebook, google Twitter or all 3.

I was told here by the smart guys that algorithms cannot be biased.

If I recall correctly they were defending Facebook, google Twitter or all 3.

Whoever said that still lives in the 1950s. And they aren't smart even in the 1950's.

Not racist but biased. The computer program can't be racist.

Just listen to Obama, Jackson and Sharpton. You will hear racism in it's truest from.

Obama, Sharpton and Jackson have stated that blacks are superior to whites? They've subjugated and oppressed whites? They've prevented them from living in the area of their choice? Stopped them from getting jobs and education? Please show proof.

While I do agree that your logic seems to have merit, data is data, we may not like data and find that is confounds our beliefs, but pretending there is bias does not really help anything.

It can be programed with racial divide in its logic. Yes, it can be racist at the core. If you want to simply say it's not human and therefore can not have racist feelings, emotions, hatred or kindness, it's a program inside of a machine, then fine. But then you are saying there is no such thing as AI. Which is fine and a completely different discussion.

I think the implication in this topic is someone is calling AI racist, meaning it is being programed with racist intentions. Which certain programs behind company's like Google is employing.

Obama, Sharpton and Jackson have stated that blacks are superior to whites? They've subjugated and oppressed whites? They've prevented them from living in the area of their choice? Stopped them from getting jobs and education? Please show proof.

Should we start with Affirmative Action?

Do you think all Trump supports do this? They are classification as racist by the Left.

Barack Omama

From Dreams of My Father: 'I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.'

It's been skating by on byte privilege for far too long. :nono:

• Like 1

I am not sure that people quite understand what Artificial Intelligence is. It is not just algorithms. There are also the methods used for "learning".

There can be a bias to it that causes is to treat some groups differently than others. Microsoft had an issue with one of their Twitter bots where it eventually showed gender and racial bias (racist or sexist). There are plenty of other examples.

It's been skating by on byte privilege for far too long. :nono:

I am not sure that people quite understand what Artificial Intelligence is. It is not just algorithms. There are also the methods used for "learning".

There can be a bias to it that causes is to treat some groups differently than others. Microsoft had an issue with one of their Twitter bots where it eventually showed gender and racial bias (racist or sexist). There are plenty of other examples.

I think you are getting closer to it here. But I also think that its not a worthwhile effort to even both with.

Quit bringing logic and level headedness to the GC.

I think you are getting closer to it here. But I also think that its not a worthwhile effort to even both with.

Not bother explaining it or not having Artificial Intelligence? :lol:

Not bother explaining it or not having Artificial Intelligence? :lol:

Not bother explaining it.

If the AI produced results that they agreed with the logic would be hailed as confirmation or "enlightened". Similarly, if you trotted it out in from of say a Taliban fighter and it supported the subjugation of women, they might say that the AI was spot on.....but that does not make it so....I think the value of something is reliant on our respective biases.....

The "learning" methods are just that. Function modules that interpret things according to a structural approach. It's human or intelligent in only the sense that it's created by a human and their intelligence, which is limited and "biased" in the overall picture. Intentional or not. Also it leaves out human factors such as questioning self awareness.

Not bother explaining it.

If the AI produced results that they agreed with the logic would be hailed as confirmation or "enlightened". Similarly, if you trotted it out in from of say a Taliban fighter and it supported the subjugation of women, they might say that the AI was spot on.....but that does not make it so....I think the value of something is reliant on our respective biases.....

It depends. With AI, the "learning" happens very quickly and there typically are no governing mechanisms that we have as people. So, it can go off the rails pretty quickly. AI is for real and it is used more than people realize already.

February is black mythology month. Now that's some artificial intelligence.

• Like 1

February is black mythology month. Now that's some artificial intelligence.

Did you know the wheel wasnt adopted in most of Africa until the 18th century?

It wasn't in America either when the Indians had the run of the place.

• Like 1

Where did you learn that bit of information? Stormfront?

Where did you learn that bit of information? Stormfront?

Nope. Milton Friedman actually. It was just becoming common in the 18th century a large portion of Africa didnt adopt it until the 19th century. Here you might find this interesting:

I wasnt trolling.

I bet there is still 50% of Africa that doesn't know what the wheel is. They are very good at killing though. Do not go into their territory and try to tell them that modern medicine exists or that it's crazy to have their 12 year old male kids jump out of tall trees as a right of passage if they can survive the fall. :nono:

• Like 1

It wasn't in America either when the Indians had the run of the place.

The Indians didnt have the benefit of the western world being only a land bridge away though. We should cut them some slack on that one.

Sharpton and Jackson are definitely not racist. They hope fellow blacks get the shaft so they can try swoop in and steal some of the $ that the wronged black person gets from a winning lawsuit. It's how they live the good life. The day racism disappears is the days those two leeches have to go find a job. They hope that day never arrives.

The Indians didnt have the benefit of the western world being only a land bridge away though. We should cut them some slack on that one.

How about horses then? They ate them into extinction instead of riding them.

• Like 1

It depends. With AI, the "learning" happens very quickly and there typically are no governing mechanisms that we have as people. So, it can go off the rails pretty quickly. AI is for real and it is used more than people realize already.

AI is not real in the ways your average person thinks of it. It's science fiction and you seem to be promoting it as something that is alive and breathing. It is easily understandable and not labeled correctly. AI is a joke and as labeled is easily reproduced with minimal training.