Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

Spinoff: What simple things should vehichle manufacturers do to make things "better".

FLOORING
In the nice models (non-work), they put in carpet in the interior.  People then buy Husky Liners, WeatherTech, etc rubber mats to protect their carpet.  

The work models, come with vinyl/rubber floors already.    Then they people that buy them put in carpet style floor mats. 

If you have carpet (which 99% of all do), you fight to keep the carpet clean and/or dry.   Usually by the end of the first owner, unless they bough WeatherTech's, the floor has stains that simply won't come out. 

Why not just make the floors rubber/vinyl, let people put in carpet style floor mats, then, when the mats get junkie, just toss them out?   No stain or water damage would ever be permanent if they did this. 

They do it backwards.

KEYS

Also, I'd buy another Ford....JUST because of the keypad on the outside of the door.  You NEVER have to take your keys with.  You just lock them in.   My wife has a 2017 Tahoe, and for fvck sakes...its a mess as far as key go.  You have to take key out to lock it. She keeps key in her purse. So, if ever I need to move it or drive it, etc I have to go to her and get the key... it just a pain in ass compared to Ford.

Why does no one else do what Ford does with the keypad? 

2 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

KEYS

Also, I'd buy another Ford....JUST because of the keypad on the outside of the door.  You NEVER have to take your keys with.  You just lock them in.   My wife has a 2017 Tahoe, and for fvck sakes...its a mess as far as key go.  You have to take key out to lock it. She keeps key in her purse. So, if ever I need to move it or drive it, etc... it just a pain in ass compared to Ford.

Why does no one else do what Ford does with the keypad? 

Yeah this isn't a good idea IMO...  Leave them in the car and if people can see them, they will break the windows thinking they have an easy time stealing the car...  Your insurance company must love you...

Just now, posty said:

Yeah this isn't a good idea IMO...  Leave them in the car and if people can see them, they will break the windows thinking they have an easy time stealing the car...  Your insurance company must love you...

I didn't say leave them on the dash or seat. 

1 minute ago, tubby_mcgee said:

I didn't say leave them on the dash or seat. 

That's good, though you never know what others will do...

Get rid of most of the new "diver assist" electronics. 
Trust me, they hurt much more than they help.

• Like 1

Things I see in the near future.

1. Built in turbines and solar panels. Not only for the additional electronics on a vehicle, but estimates are saying that within 10 years, something like 40% of vehicles will be some form of hybrid. Being able to charge as you go just make sense.

2. Along with that, work is already being done to try to incorporate fuel cells into the actual vehicle panels. Makes sense. Once you create energy, you got any places to store it.

3. with both of the above, I seriously think the days of plugging your car into a charging station or at home will be seen as quaint and frankly kind of stupid. I'm sure the next generation of kids will laugh at that.

4. Vehicle-to-vehicle communication. The defense department has been working on this for a long time. Imagine two smart vehicles in an inevitable collision. If they could be trained to coordinate their responses, ( 1  veers south, 1 north ). One could also imagine this with emergency vehicles having the ability 2 countermand or at least slow down if not disable vehicles as they approach intersections. Obviously, lots of hurdles to cross. but I have seen clueless drivers pull out in an intersection directly in front of fire trucks. That much mass moving at speed? It wasn't pretty.

5. Definitely soon to see  heavy duty airbags deployed outside the vehicle much as they deploy inside today. The insurance industry alone will drive this one.

6. Speaking of the insurance industry, I would imagine we start seeing at least optional bio mechanical security. Fairly stupid that we can't use our phones without biometrics, but any numb nuts can still steal a car in less than 90 seconds. Again, insurance industry.

Sheet for and is literally just common sense has more to do with emergency, first responder vehicles.

More and more vehicles have GPS and other address technology. You and I can get on our phones or laptops and pull up neighborhood databases out of sex offenders. But you know what we don't have? And integration of those two databases.

There is absolutely no reason why these databases can't and shouldn't be integrated for both 911 dispatchers and first responders.

I want to give you a real world example. Jaycee dugard was kidnapped at the age of 11 and held for like 15 years. Raped daily, had two children born as a product of rape. She was held in the home of a registered sex offender. One day she hurt her arm and paramedics arrived to see her and her two young daughters. Now, if those paramedics had seen that this was the home of registered sex offender was not supposed to be in the presence of tender age boys, girls? Her captivity could have been cut in half.

That is a real world example. Tell me why the hell we haven't done something like this already.

Disable all cell phones for texting and making calls while in the car...

• Like 3

Why do you have to take the entire bumper off (labor) just to change a 3 dollar light bulb?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Smaller engine compartments, wasted space if you ask me. 

The bigger, the better.
You try working on some of this sh1t that's cramped in there :mad:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, posty said:

Thats BS. The passengers can't use a phone? I cant while I'm in an uber?

Make a focking flying car finally. Jesus we were supposed to have those years ago 

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

Make a focking flying car finally. Jesus we were supposed to have those years ago 

Orville Redenbacher did that years ago at Kitty Hawk, NC
They're called planes, you dumb ass. 

I also heard that they sometimes serve popcorn on these flying cars, too. Bonus:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

People cant drive for sh!t in 2d, let alone adding an altitude element.

Full automation must come before flying. 

• Like 1

Just now, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Full automation in our lifetimes would be a disaster on biblical proportions just waiting to happen. 
The tech isn't even close to being there. 
I'm sure you know this already :) (didn't mean this drunken rant as an opposition to your post)

The only thing newer vehicles with most of the "driver assist" features are doing right now is making the roadways a scarier place to visit. 

The smarter you make the car right now, the dumber you make the driver. FACT

• Like 1

Just now, SUXBNME said:

Full automation in our lifetimes would be a disaster on biblical proportions just waiting to happen. 
I'm sure you know this already :) (didn't mean this drunken rant as an opposition to your post)

The only thing newer vehicles with most of the "driver assist" features are doing right now is making the roadways a scarier place to visit. 

In America that may be true.

Here in Asia? Implement it tomorrow. Flawed as the tech is, it's better than these clowns. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Here in Asia? Implement it tomorrow. Flawed as the tech is, it's better than these clowns. 

:D

Fair enough

8 hours ago, posty said:

What if you’re going on a 10 hour road trip and you aren’t the driver? 

7 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I spy with my little eye...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

FLOORING

Why not just make the floors rubber/vinyl, let people put in carpet style floor mats, then, when the mats get junkie, just toss them out?   No stain or water damage would ever be permanent if they did this. 

Honda Element. You could hose down the insides. They also came in AWD.

Stanley Steamers ran on water. They held land speed records and some of them have run for over a hundred years. 

2 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Is it true that Asian cars come with a feature that permanently engages the left turn signal?

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Does anyone use a sunroof anymore? 

Some of the SUVs are almost entirely sunroof. Love to see the safety ratings on them.

2 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Maybe chat with the driver or simply just think without the need to talk? 

I second the desire to have running cars block cell phone usage. Completely. 

1 minute ago, sderk said:

Maybe chat with the driver or simply just think without the need to talk? 

I second the desire to have running cars block cell phone usage. Completely. 

I drove from Colo to Ohio once before sat radio and stuff. Even really before cells were big.

I think people today would lose their shiit. They just need constant input/distraction.

There's got to be a long term cognitive effect.

13 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

I drove from Colo to Ohio once before sat radio and stuff. Even really before cells were big.

I think people today would lose their shiit. They just need constant input/distraction.

There's got to be a long term cognitive effect.

I don't think most people today know what it is like to go a few hours without some form of entertainment or conversation with someone else.

I think you are right, not only teens, but even most adults would lose their shlt if they had to spend more than a couple hours awake in their own head alone.

It's scary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Might make for an exciting new version of Frogger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

Is it true that Asian cars come with a feature that permanently engages the left turn signal?

False.

Few Asian cars seem to come with turn signals, it seems to me (speaking of Frogger).

6 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

Orville Redenbacher did that years ago at Kitty Hawk, NC
They're called planes, you dumb ass. 

I also heard that they sometimes serve popcorn on these flying cars, too. Bonus:thumbsup:

Exactly. It’s an AIRPLANE. Not a car that flies. Two different things. Planes aren’t exactly designed to drive on the ground like a car is. Just like a car isn’t designed to fly. 

Focus on economy with available power

Collaborate with emerging technologies to enhance traffic management, such as interconnection options to help awareness for issues on the road

How about gull wing doors as standard options on most cars so that we can open them when someone parks too close?

8 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

100% disagree. The technology is here. People are already using it and it is way better than humans driving 

• Thanks 1

Truck nutz that sag as the car gets older. 

16 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Truck nutz that sag as the car gets older. 

:overhead:

11 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Thats BS. The passengers can't use a phone? I cant while I'm in an uber?

Nope...  How can you prove that you are a passenger and actually driving?

All should be disabled...  I know that I am in the huge minority on this, but something really needs to be done...