The Observer

What concerts do you have coming up?

On 1/29/2024 at 9:49 AM, GobbleDog said:

Wife just went to a STYX / REO Speedwagon concert in Orlando after getting free tickets (obviously).

Apparently STYX now plays without the original lead singer. She said they sucked, and much preferred REO.

Interesting.  I saw Styx in early 2020, just before the Covid plague.  Small venue, a couple thousand maybe, no other acts.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Styx was probably my favorite band in my formative tween years (late 70s to early 80s) and yes, Dennis DeYoung is no longer with them, but the replacement did a great job IMO.

That being said, I love REO (moreso their earlier stuff) and that concert sounds a lot of fun.  :thumbsup: 

On 2/8/2024 at 3:02 PM, jerryskids said:

Thanks. Speaking of Tool, I'm going to see them Saturday with my son and his girlfriend. :headbanger:

So, I gave the concert a 4 out of 5 on Ticketmaster.  Here was my review:

The concert was about 1/2 from Fear Inoculum, 1/2 "classic"songs. I personally love their new album and enjoyed every song from it. My nit is that they could have picked better from the classic side. Songs like Aenima, 46 and 2, Lateralus, Vicarious, Sober could have been in the mix (they did end with Schism).

I took my son and his GF (both mid 20s) as a Christmas gift; she is a Tool fan and it seemed like a good way to bond with them as a couple, while seeing a bucket list band for me.  Thing is, she knows the better-known songs (like the ones I listed), as do I and I would guess most of the attendees.  If you are going to play half of your concert from your new stuff, you should be better about the older stuff.  Then again, going against the grain is a very Tool thing to do.

I had researched the expected playlist and familiarized myself with the songs.  If you go, I suggest the same.

Styx is still great.  And they have three lead singers.  Dennis Deyoung is gone but his replacement is fine, and the other two lead singers are still in the band.

this upcoming KC show looks intriguing...

SESSANTA: Primus, Puscifer, A Perfect Circle

Tuesday, April 30

A 60th Birthday Celebration for Maynard James Keenan. All 3 bands on stage at the same time.

Doors 6:00pm, Show 7:30pm

Buy Tickets 

Kane Brown at Fenway in July. And Kenny Chesney at Gillette in August.

23 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Interesting.  I saw Styx in early 2020, just before the Covid plague.  Small venue, a couple thousand maybe, no other acts.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Styx was probably my favorite band in my formative tween years (late 70s to early 80s) and yes, Dennis DeYoung is no longer with them, but the replacement did a great job IMO.

That being said, I love REO (moreso their earlier stuff) and that concert sounds a lot of fun.  :thumbsup: 

To be fair, she didn't know who Styx was until I played a few songs - which she knew, but still didn't like them.

She did say most people at the concert seemed more excited when Styx entered the stage, than REO. Just not her.

On 2/13/2024 at 2:01 PM, jerryskids said:

So, I gave the concert a 4 out of 5 on Ticketmaster.  Here was my review:

I took my son and his GF (both mid 20s) as a Christmas gift; she is a Tool fan and it seemed like a good way to bond with them as a couple, while seeing a bucket list band for me.  Thing is, she knows the better-known songs (like the ones I listed), as do I and I would guess most of the attendees.  If you are going to play half of your concert from your new stuff, you should be better about the older stuff.  Then again, going against the grain is a very Tool thing to do.

I had researched the expected playlist and familiarized myself with the songs.  If you go, I suggest the same.

I've seen TOOL several times on their last couple of tours. 

I was surprised that this most recent one was still so Fear Innoculum heavy since they had previously toured for the album.  Perhaps this tour is considered the 2nd leg of that tour?  :dunno:

I was pleasantly surprised by the setlist they performed at Aftershock back in Oct.  This would have been more to your liking as it had fewer Fear Innoculum songs. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2023/discovery-park-sacramento-ca-4ba32bca.html

20 minutes ago, DonS said:

I've seen TOOL several times on their last couple of tours. 

I was surprised that this most recent one was still so Fear Innoculum heavy since they had previously toured for the album.  Perhaps this tour is considered the 2nd leg of that tour?  :dunno:

I was pleasantly surprised by the setlist they performed at Aftershock back in Oct.  This would have been more to your liking as it had fewer Fear Innoculum songs. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2023/discovery-park-sacramento-ca-4ba32bca.html

Thanks. To be clear, I like Fear.  The more I listen, the more it is my favorite of their albums. Just listening to Danny Carey evolve/improve over time is great.  Also I learned Invincible from Fear which is great.  They didn't play T7mpest, but a friend turned me on, another great song.

My nit was that their non-fear songs were meh. I mean, Rosetta Stoned is good, but play some hits like from your list (46, Aenima).  They did end with Schism. 

:cheers:

• Like 1

I don't think we are going, but Blues Traveler is here in Mesa this weekend. "Four" was in my top 10 favorite albums from the 90s.  We had VIP tix to see them in early 2020 but the Vid hit and canceled it.  This time it is at a cool outdoor amphitheater,  only $30 each and part of a food festival. 

https://www.mesaamphitheater.com/events/mesa-food-festival-blues-traveler-17-february-2024/

We have other plans but thinking of changing...

I just found out Maiden is touring,  but the closest is 6.5 hours away. That’s too far for me. 

Just bought the max 5 tix to widespread motha fockin panic on the mountain at red rocks for Saturday in June.   If I make it to that and phish the sphere this year my life is complete

Bruce Springsteen is truly the boss.

Saw him this past Tuesday.  Friends of ours had 4 tix to his concert here this past November, but he came down with some ulcer problem in September and canceled the rest of the tour.  This was apparently his first performance since coming back.  Their kids were going to go originally but weren't available, so they asked us to go.  I've never been a huge Bruce fan but, meh, what the heck, I hear he puts on a good concert, so let's go.

Ho-leee fock!  He played for just shy of 3 hours non-stop.  By non-stop, I mean that when most songs ended, he yelled "1 2 3 4" before the end and launched into a new song.  Twice the band went off stage, I presume for some union break rules, but Bruce stayed onstage and played by himself.

Dood is 75 going on 35.

He played a lot of older, more obscure stuff, but that was back when he was writing meaningful music, so it was great.  I knew enough of the songs that, combined with the awesomeness of the seats (not that we sat much), it was phenomenal.

In the past two months I've seen Billy Joel (with Stevie Nicks) and Tool.  Joel and Tool are two of my favorite artists ever, and I thoroughly enjoyed the shows.  But from a pure performance perspective, they couldn't hold a candle to Bruce.  

If you are a Bruce fan, particularly his older stuff, and you have the chance to see this performance, do yourself a favor and do it.  :cheers: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, IGotWorms said:

Gonna see blink 182 this summer. Looking forward to it

Right up there with Dr. Ruth. 

I'm seeing Between The Buried And Me on back to back nights in April. 

Near end of May I'll be seeing Billy Joel in a baseball stadium, and then a band called Wheel in a super tiny venue the next night. 

Just saw JACKSON Dean not long ago, Larry Fleet a few weeks ago and we’re going to Brothers Osborne next weekend.

kind of cool but I’m a big Eric church fan and he has a new bar in Nashville that he built and he put all the fan club members name on a brick at his new place and I got lucky enough to get tickets to his new bar where he’s going to do a handful of small concerts there (300 person venue) in May. 

12 hours ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

https://www.jazzandheritage.org/new-orleans-jazz-heritage-festival-2024-lineup/

Foo Fighters and Bonnie Rait for sure. George Thorogud and Earth Wind And Fire also. To much to fit into a tight schedule. 

My wife saw Foo Fighters for free at the big Salesforce conference this past year, she said it was a fun show.

Going to see Weezer, Flaming Lips, and Dinosaur Jr. on Sept 10th. First time for W and the Lips, 7th for D jr. 

Death to All(Death tribute band with former Death members) at the end of May. Doing Scream Bloody Gore in full.

• Like 1

I'm not going to be able to make panic at red rocks work, but I do have:

*4/18 phish at the sphere

*4/30 Maynard 60th bday party (sessanta) with a perfect circle, puscifer and primus

5/7 Portugal. the Man at a tiny, intimate venue in kc

1 hour ago, Herbivore said:

Going to see Weezer, Flaming Lips, and Dinosaur Jr. on Sept 10th. First time for W and the Lips, 7th for D jr. 

Death to All(Death tribute band with former Death members) at the end of May. Doing Scream Bloody Gore in full.

Lips are coming here and I would go to that but I'm going to a lot of stuff all the time and as much as I'm the guy that says yes, sometimes I have I tell myself no :(

On 1/22/2024 at 1:16 PM, Fnord said:

Meh. You're too old and close minded to be able to appreciate it. One needs to have stamina, a sense of humor, and tolerance for other humans that don't think and look exactly like yourself to enjoy events like this. 

Stay angry, Twatadour. It's the one thing you're good at.

Tranny rock. Lol. 

Thinking about Daryl Hall double bill with Elvis Costello. Anyone ever see either? If Hall is only going to do his own stuff I probably won’t. 

Going to The Black Crowes in Dallas tomorrow. Been wanting to see them for a long time.

20 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Going to The Black Crowes in Dallas tomorrow. Been wanting to see them for a long time.

saw them on the Horde Festival and WBCN River Rave, long time ago, but they were great.

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

I'm not going to be able to make panic at red rocks work, but I do have:

*4/18 phish at the sphere

That sounds pretty cool 

2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

That sounds pretty cool 

I got extremely lucky.   Cheapest anything on stubhub right now is over $600 and I just happen to be in Vegas that week and my buddy had connections and got us tickets at face for just over $200 :banana:

• Like 1

:headbanger:

August 3rd - CREED

• Haha 1