Sign in to follow this  
Meglamaniac

Do you have a problem with soldiers taking a photo

5 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I’d need to know why they took the picture before deciding whether I have a problem with it.

How many reasons could there be?

No problem with it.  You already took his life, might as well taake their soul too.

1 hour ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Ex-Marine here and while I think the idea of photographing yourself with a dead body is morbid, I don't necessarily have a problem if someone else does it.  Lots of dudes are young and stupid so you'll get young and stupid things from them.

I would be okay with a rule banning it though too.  There has to be something in the UCMJ addressing this I would think.  I highly doubt that's something that is keeping to the high standards the military expects of it's members.

I asked Marine across the hall and he couldn't think of a reg addressing this specific issue. Ditto for the Army Sargent.

Interesting tough question. While not against, it does seem less then professional imo. Pictures to document are one thing, but taking selfies to glorify the kill, to me, crosses the line I guess. Then you have the cases where it's been done with civilian kills...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-03-22/us-army-says-sorry-for-afghan-corpse-photos/2649670

No, I find it hilarious and amusing. I want to see soldiers using dead enemies as puppets saying funny things. War and combat is hell, bad things happen. These are the guys out there staring it in the face so I can sleep in til noon so they can do whatever the hell they want to celebrate a moment of triumph.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Meglamaniac said:

with an enemy corpse or admitting he/she has done so.

No talking about making the photo public or placing it on social media but rather the act of taking the photo.

I think that when you get into the heat of battle that some bad shitt gets done.  Don't judge soldiers till you did it yourself. I never served. Didn't want to. I have much respect but after hearing the stories my dad told about Vietnam.  I will pass. But I make sure to not judge. They are all my dad to me. Just some kid. Who volunteered and watched his friends die. 

• Thanks 1

Taking pictures of prisoners is a violation of the UCMJ, and I think some element of the geneva convention or something.  Taking pictures of the dead would absolutely get your ass called on to the carpet.

That being said, plenty of people have done both, I have seen it myself. So long as you arent being a doosh about it, portraying it disrespectfully, all good in my book...

1 hour ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

Taking pictures of prisoners is a violation of the UCMJ, and I think some element of the geneva convention or something.  Taking pictures of the dead would absolutely get your ass called on to the carpet.

That being said, plenty of people have done both, I have seen it myself. So long as you arent being a doosh about it, portraying it disrespectfully, all good in my book...

I’m having a hard time envisioning a scenario where this sort of thing could be portrayed respectfully. 

So, there's some guy out there snapping 70's era Polaroids of guys he's just killed that's not being distributed anywhere?

Wow. Kind of hard to believe that's not making the news.

8 hours ago, wiffleball said:

So, there's some guy out there snapping 70's era Polaroids of guys he's just killed that's not being distributed anywhere?

Which war zone were you in?

13 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

I asked Marine across the hall and he couldn't think of a reg addressing this specific issue. Ditto for the Army Sargent.

At least spell sergeant correctly 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, wiffleball said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/05/27/one-bad-thing-that-im-guilty-rep-duncan-hunter-says-he-took-photo-with-enemy-corpse-during-military-service/?utm_term=.80aec8b0d4f4

34 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

Oops my bad

A big reason some of the unwritten rules of war are in place is because we want to set a precedence on how we would want American soldiers to be treated.  I can't imagine the parents of a fallen US soldier would want to someday see a picture of his killer standing over him or peeing on him.

14 minutes ago, The Observer said:

A big reason some of the unwritten rules of war are in place is because we want to set a precedence on how we would want American soldiers to be treated.  I can't imagine the parents of a fallen US soldier would want to someday see a picture of his killer standing over him or peeing on him.

Sure. And it should be against the official rules. But war is barbarity. There is no civilizing it. You turn a bunch of 18-20 year old men in to hard hearted killers... Sh!t happens. And I'm sure as hell not willing to seriously punish it. 

1 minute ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Sure. And it should be against the official rules. But war is barbarity. There is no civilizing it. You turn a bunch of 18-20 year old men in to hard hearted killers... Sh!t happens. And I'm sure as hell not willing to seriously punish it. 

Like I said, if American soldiers want to act like heartless barbarians and it becomes acceptable here, then I don't want to hear the complaints when pictures of dead americans start showing up. There was a time we set the standard for decency. That changed a few years ago, so we may as well go down this road too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Ex-Marine here and while I think the idea of photographing yourself with a dead body is morbid, I don't necessarily have a problem if someone else does it.  Lots of dudes are young and stupid so you'll get young and stupid things from them.

I would be okay with a rule banning it though too.  There has to be something in the UCMJ addressing this I would think.  I highly doubt that's something that is keeping to the high standards the military expects of it's members.

Ex-Army here. How about the troops can do what they like and the stick up-their-ass officers telling them not to can all choke on camel sh*t?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Crazy Earl's speech at Zipperhead's birthday party.

I flipping love that movie and that scene.... 😍

28 minutes ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

I flipping love that movie and that scene.... 😍

Kieron Jecchinis' delivery, his timing, his pauses, his little hand gestures, everything he's doing here is so focking masterfully done. They wrote him up a nice speech and he nailed it.

4 hours ago, Mungwater said:

The kernel will kick his ass for that

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, The Observer said:

Like Mogdishu

4 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Crazy Earl's speech at Zipperhead's birthday party.

I always wondered why the dead gook was in the chair. I would have taken the chair instead of leaning against the wall. It's not like grunts have chairs to sit in often. 

Any of you in favor of it have a problem if it’s the other side posing for pics over dead American soldiers?

14 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

Any of you in favor of it have a problem if it’s the other side posing for pics over dead American soldiers?

I've been pretty clear. The reason we told Mogadishu and darfur Etc to go f*** themselves had to do with Black hawk down f****** n***** skinnies. God damn animals

11 hours ago, The Observer said:

Like I said, if American soldiers want to act like heartless barbarians and it becomes acceptable here, then I don't want to hear the complaints when pictures of dead americans start showing up. There was a time we set the standard for decency. That changed a few years ago, so we may as well go down this road too.

orange man bad of course

8 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I always wondered why the dead gook was in the chair. I would have taken the chair instead of leaning against the wall. It's not like grunts have chairs to sit in often. 

It's a good point. With Earl, he might legitimately buy into his own 'Zipperhead as a guest of honor' psychosis but Animal Mother is sitting right there and you have to figure that he couldn't give two sh*ts and wouldn't put up with it.