Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

47 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

As a businessman he knows there won’t be much of a country to preserve if we don’t get back to business soon.

True...but if he wanted something to quicken the reopening of the economy, it should have been reflected in the guidelines issued yesterday.

44 minutes ago, MDC said:

If he wants to make that case, fine. Seems a little weird to encourage protests against state governors through Twitter. He pretty much owns the fallout now.

To be fair, those governors never miss a chance to take shots at the POTUS.  That's just politics as usual.  

3 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

To be fair, those governors never miss a chance to take shots at the POTUS.  That's just politics as usual.  

That may be true, but when it comes to this sort of petty back and forth Trump is worse than anyone I’ve seen and he supposed to be the adult in the room. 

13 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Walz has never taken a shot at Trump.  :dunno:

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

That may be true, but when it comes to this sort of petty back and forth Trump is worse than anyone I’ve seen and he supposed to be the adult in the room. 

His delivery is just less polished.  The gov of IL has stated very clearly that he doesn't trust the White House in the COVID fight.  And Whitmer publicly lashed out at him early on for his "mind boggling" management of the crisis.  

It's political gamesmanship, and they're all guilty of it. 

Just now, FeelingMN said:

Walz has never taken a shot at Trump.  :dunno:

Maybe not about COVID, but he's been critical of him at other times.  Wasn't he rejecting some of his orders on refugees awhile back or something?

5 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

His delivery is just less polished.  The gov of IL has stated very clearly that he doesn't trust the White House in the COVID fight.  And Whitmer publicly lashed out at him early on for his "mind boggling" management of the crisis.  

It's political gamesmanship, and they're all guilty of it. 

I’m not sure how you can compare that to encouraging people to protest in defiance of shelter orders, other than just being conditioned to make excuses out of a sense of fairness or whatever.

17 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Maybe not about COVID, but he's been critical of him at other times.  Wasn't he rejecting some of his orders on refugees awhile back or something?

Trump issued an EO for states/counties to consent to accept refugees.  Walz consented to allow refugees in Minnesota.  

Didn't reject anything....hasn't been critical of him as far as I can remember.

Trump is just playing politics with this stuff.  Which under normal circumstances is to be expected....but during a pandemic?  Dude is a horrible leader.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’m not sure how you can compare that to encouraging people to protest in defiance of shelter orders, other than just being conditioned to make excuses out of a sense of fairness or whatever.

The MI stay at home order is one of the most ridiculous and restrictive orders in the US.  

Much of it was ill-conceived and nearly impossible to implement.  

Many people here are up in arms about it and rightly so.  

8 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

The MI stay at home order is one of the most ridiculous and restrictive orders in the US.  

Much of it was ill-conceived and nearly impossible to implement.  

Many people here are up in arms about it and rightly so.  

Well then it totally makes sense for Trump to undermine the governor on Twitter and potentially endanger his constituents. :wacko: 

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

Well then it totally makes sense for Trump to undermine the governor on Twitter and potentially endanger his constituents. :wacko: 

Yeah. I’m familiar with your daily anti- Trump schtick, but I just don’t think it belongs here. 

Some of these governors deserve whatever flack they get on this.  

6 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Yeah. I’m familiar with your daily anti- Trump schtick, but I just don’t think it belongs here. 

Some of these governors deserve whatever flack they get on this.  

Do the people who protest shelter in place and all the people they come into contact with deserve it too? Because that’s who is going to get hurt.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MDC said:

Do the people who protest shelter in place and all the people they come into contact with deserve it too? Because that’s who is going to get hurt.

Who are they going to come in contact with?

Just now, Gladiators said:

Who are they going to come in contact with?

Really?

Just did a quick read. Looks like they’re gathering outside. I don’t see anything indicating they’re swarming people who aren’t there to protest, so my question remains. Who are they going to come in contact with?

3 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Just did a quick read. Looks like they’re gathering outside. I don’t see anything indicating they’re swarming people who aren’t there to protest, so my question remains. Who are they going to come in contact with?

Just from the pics I've seen it looks like large groups of people gathering together to protest.  Seems like a dumb idea during a pandemic.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Just from the pics I've seen it looks like large groups of people gathering together to protest.  Seems like a dumb idea during a pandemic.

Probably is. Not sure who they are potentially harming other than themselves though.

10 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I’m assuming some % of those people are still going to grocery stores and gas stations. I’m assuming some % of them are still working outside the house. 

:dunno: 

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

Probably is. Not sure who they are potentially harming other than themselves though.

It pretty much defeats the whole purpose of sheltering in place.  If any of them is infected then they could be spreading it to more in that group then they go home and spread it to their family.

What I found funny were the people protesting while wearing masks.  It looks contradicting but I know why the people are protesting.  Michigan's restrictions are a bit ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’m assuming some % of those people are still going to grocery stores and gas stations. I’m assuming some % of them are still working outside the house. 

And that’s why everyone has to take responsibility for their own safety when going out. No one has any idea who has been where and who has touched what.

I am not a proponent of preventing people, no matter how dumb it might be, from protesting.

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

And that’s why everyone has to take responsibility for their own safety when going out. No one has any idea who has been where and who has touched what.

I am not a proponent of preventing people, no matter how dumb it might be, from protesting.

I don’t think they’re arresting these morons. I also don’t think the POTUS should be encouraging them against the advice of his own medical advisors.

Just now, MDC said:

I don’t think they’re arresting these morons. I also don’t think the POTUS should be encouraging them against the advice of his own medical advisors.

I think he should, but needs to add a disclaimer that everyone needs to do it safely...stay 6 feet apart, wear a mask, wash hands before/after.

Get ready for a wave of drug overdoses this month and next as bored junkies get their stimulus checks.

45 minutes ago, MDC said:

Those who got out of their cars and gathered in groups were not smart.  But the majority of people in MI protested from their cars. 

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/04/15/most-protesting-michigan-governors-social-distance-order-stay-in-their-cars/

28 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It pretty much defeats the whole purpose of sheltering in place.  If any of them is infected then they could be spreading it to more in that group then they go home and spread it to their family.

What I found funny were the people protesting while wearing masks.  It looks contradicting but I know why the people are protesting.  Michigan's restrictions are a bit ridiculous.

Check back with us when you’ve actually experienced stay at home orders. 

5 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Those who got out of their cars and gathered in groups were not smart.  But the majority of people in MI protested from their cars. 

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/04/15/most-protesting-michigan-governors-social-distance-order-stay-in-their-cars/

That’s good, but my point is the POTUS shouldn’t be encouraging this at all. 

7 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Check back with us when you’ve actually experienced stay at home orders. 

What do you think would change if we had that in Iowa?  I'm curious what you think is so different for me right now.

You may want to do some research on what Iowa is doing instead of issuing a stay-at-home order.  I don't think it's much different.  I'm also in the region of the state with the most strict orders.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What do you think would change if we had that in Iowa?  I'm curious what you think is so different for me right now.

If there’s no difference, why did other states implement it to begin with? Sounds to me like the protests are 100% justified.

Just now, MDC said:

That’s good, but my point is the POTUS shouldn’t be encouraging this at all. 

I understand.  But he’s not actually telling people to go protest in large groups.  Didn’t he just say “Free Michigan, Virginia, etc?

I think that’s more of a rallying cry letting conservatives in those states know he agrees with them and disagrees with their governor. 

The pissing match between him and the dem gov’s is no secret   

He and Cuomo we’re going at it again today as well   

Just now, Gladiators said:

If there’s no difference, why did other states implement it to begin with? Sounds to me like the protests are 100% justified.

It looks as though every state's ordinances are different.  Michigan's are ridiculous and I would be upset as well.

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

You may want to do some research on what Iowa is doing instead of issuing a stay-at-home order.  I don't think it's much different.  I'm also in the region of the state with the most strict orders.

Are houses still being built?  Are stores still open?  Other than restaurants and bars, what businesses were forced to close?

Can you play golf, take your boat out?

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

Are houses still being built?  Are stores still open?  Other than restaurants and bars, what businesses were forced to close?

Can you play golf, take your boat out?

Are you trying to compare my state to your state specifically?  Not every stay under a stay-at-home order is being handled the same way.  I've already said the Michigan's ordinance is ridiculous and I don't agree with it.

Regardless, it wouldn't really affect me personally for what I do on a day to day basis.  I would still have to work.  I have been staying home other than to get groceries.  The only thing I've gone out to do is go fishing and I believe I would still be able to fish from my kayak in Michigan under their orders.

10 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I understand.  But he’s not actually telling people to go protest in large groups.  Didn’t he just say “Free Michigan, Virginia, etc?

I think that’s more of a rallying cry letting conservatives in those states know he agrees with them and disagrees with their governor. 

The pissing match between him and the dem gov’s is no secret   

He and Cuomo we’re going at it again today as well   

I really don’t care about the pissing matches on Twitter. It’s petty but it is what it is.

I think telling people to Liberate Michigan etc. in support of these protests is completely irresponsible.

I like how the airhead governor of Michigan was saying that the protestors had swastikas. Uh, they were directed at you dumbass.  But she knows that, just playing the deplorable card. 

14 minutes ago, MDC said:

I really don’t care about the pissing matches on Twitter. It’s petty but it is what it is.

I think telling people to Liberate Michigan etc. in support of these protests is completely irresponsible.

I think you might be reacting mainly to whatever slanted footage you’re seeing nationally.  

I see the MI stuff firsthand, so I view things much differently.  

She’d have made a much bigger impact on COVID if she had taken drastic action in Detroit early on.  Hell, she still might be able to, but she won’t.  

She’d rather put the clamps on everyone else in the state instead.

This governor has gone too far.    

13 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I think you might be reacting mainly to whatever slanted footage you’re seeing nationally.  

I see the MI stuff firsthand, so I view things much differently.  

She’d have made a much bigger impact on COVID if she had taken drastic action in Detroit early on.  Hell, she still might be able to, but she won’t.  

She’d rather put the clamps on everyone else in the state instead.

This governor has gone too far.    

The only coverage I read was the article I posted and something on Politico. Is there something different about shelter in place in VA, MN and MI that made Trump single them out? That part wasn’t in his tweets. Neither was anything about social distancing while liberating those states.

My guess is he’s just lashing out at the governors. That’s on brand for Trump and usually not a big deal, just seems to me the POTUS shouldn’t be encouraging folks to behave in a reckless way during a pandemic.

I know his supporters won’t see it that way. I’m happy to agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Is there something different about shelter in place in VA, MN and MI that made Trump single them out? That part wasn’t in his tweets  

I can’t speak for the other 2 but MI’s orders are among the most restrictive in the country and fall just short of martial law.  

But the main reason for singling these 3 states out is that they’re swing states and 2 of the 3 governors are political rivals.   

He’s playing to his base while they’re trying to hold onto theirs.  

Meanwhile, all the finger pointing just leads to more division and they’re equally responsible.  

28 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I can’t speak for the other 2 but MI’s orders are among the most restrictive in the country and fall just short of martial law.  

But the main reason for singling these 3 states out is that they’re swing states and 2 of the 3 governors are political rivals.   

He’s playing to his base while they’re trying to hold onto theirs.  

Meanwhile, all the finger pointing just leads to more division and they’re equally responsible.  

We’re basically agreeing that Trump is encouraging people to do something irresponsible and potentially dangerous for political reasons. I think we only disagree in that I think it’s focked up. I don’t care about the back and forth between the POTUS and some governors otherwise.

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

We’re basically agreeing that Trump is encouraging people to do something irresponsible and potentially dangerous for political reasons. I think we only disagree in that I think it’s focked up. I don’t care about the back and forth between the POTUS and some governors otherwise.

I’m really not agreeing to that.  I don’t think tweeting “free Michigan” amounts to encouraging bad behavior.  

People aren’t exactly rioting in the streets over here.  There was one well organized demonstration where a handful acted irresponsibly.  

I really feel like he’s taking a shot at a rival gov that he thinks is inept.  Nothing more.