Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

I'm sure that report is correct directionally, but BMI is a horrible metric.  It does not factor in muscle, it's simply just height and weight.   

Based on BMI, 72% of adults aged 20 and over in the US were either obese or overweight in 2015-2016 (edit: the article only calls out the % of the population that was obese, but cites the covid hospitalization statistics as either obese OR overweight) - https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity_adult_15_16/obesity_adult_15_16.pdf

3 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

I'm sure that report is correct directionally, but BMI is a horrible metric.  It does not factor in muscle, it's simply just height and weight.   

Based on BMI, 72% of adults aged 20 and over in the US were either obese or overweight in 2015-2016 (edit: the article only calls out the % of the population that was obese, but cites the covid hospitalization statistics as either obese OR overweight) - https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity_adult_15_16/obesity_adult_15_16.pdf

Yeah, I'm sure all those people on ventilators were gym junkies with huge muscles!!!!!!

🤣

1 minute ago, Strike said:

Yeah, I'm sure all those people on ventilators were gym junkies with huge muscles!!!!!!

🤣

:lol: Tim Hack twisting the truth like he always does.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

🤣

Probably not but the greater point is that if you do a BMI calculator, you'd be surprised as what comes up as "overweight."   I'd bet over 50% of the GC is at least "overweight" based on BMI.

Of course the bigger concern is with the ones that are obese, there's not really any disputing that someone defined as "obese" is at least fat.   Based on that article, 50% of the hospitalizations were obese (compared to 42% of the population).

So even I'll admit that at least 50% of hospitalizations were fat, but that does leave up to 50% many of which I'd bet are not as woefully unhealthy as some of you think.

Especially since that's even just hospitalizations, and not deaths.    Although they may not have ever really been at risk of dying, I personally know of a few "healthy" people that were hospitalized from covid.   Including a still wrestling 2x world champion and Olympian.

15 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Probably not but the greater point is that if you do a BMI calculator, you'd be surprised as what comes up as "overweight."   I'd bet over 50% of the GC is at least "overweight" based on BMI.

Of course the bigger concern is with the ones that are obese, there's not really any disputing that someone defined as "obese" is at least fat.   Based on that article, 50% of the hospitalizations were obese (compared to 42% of the population).

America is full of fatties. What's your idiotic point?

27 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

America is full of fatties. What's your idiotic point?

Correct, however I think saying 72% of the country is a fattie is overstated (in before "like covid deaths, badabing!")

It's probably more like 50%...which still leaves up to 50% of people being hospitalized that may not actually be fatties

2 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Correct, however I think saying 72% of the country is a fattie is overstated (in before "like covid deaths, badabing!")

It's probably more like 50%...which still leaves up to 50% of people being hospitalized that may not actually be fatties

It's probably closer to 90%. Everyone is obese. 

2 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

??? They couldn't be more clear.   78% were fatties. 

Among 148,494 adults who received a Covid-19 diagnosis during an emergency department or inpatient visit at 238 U.S. hospitals from March to December, 71,491 were hospitalized. Of those who were admitted, 27.8% were overweight and 50.2% were obese, according to the CDC report. Overweight is defined as having a body mass index of 25 or more, while obesity is defined as having a BMI of 30 or more.

8 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

??? They couldn't be more clear.   78% were fatties. 

Yes I'm saying according to BMI almost everyone is at least "overweight" many of which I wouldn't call fatties.  Obese yes are fatties.

Just now, TimHauck said:

Yes I'm saying according to BMI almost everyone is at least "overweight."  Obese yes are fatties.

I understand, much like every other one of your "facts" in this thread, it's all based on your opinion.   

8 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I understand, much like every other one of your "facts" in this thread, it's all based on your opinion.   

That's not just my opinion, it's the opinion of many that feel that BMI is misleading.   First google result:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-useful-is-the-body-mass-index-bmi-201603309339#:~:text=For example%2C results can be,diabetes

It’s important to recognize that BMI itself is not measuring “health” or a physiological state (such as resting blood pressure) that indicates the presence (or absence) of disease. It is simply a measure of your size. Plenty of people have a high or low BMI and are healthy and, conversely, plenty of folks with a normal BMI are unhealthy. 

And then there is the “obesity paradox.” Some studies have found that despite the fact that the risk of certain diseases increases with rising BMI, people actually tend to live longer, on average, if their BMI is a bit on the higher side.

Should we stop giving so much “weight” to BMI?

Maybe.  There are studies suggesting that BMI alone frequently “misclassifies” metabolic health.  For example, found that:

• More than half of those considered overweight by BMI had a healthy “cardiometabolic profile,” including a normal blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar.
  • About a quarter of people with normal BMI measures had an unhealthy cardiometabolic profile.

Don't need to know the person's BMI. Just gotta look at the fat.

I guarantee the majority of these people also do not go to the doctor and are simply ticking timebombs. Why? #1 they can't afford to, #2 they don't want to know what may be wrong with them. That mentality is really bizarre, especially if you are paying insurance. 

Even after what we have seen in NY Tim still thinks the stats are legit. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They are legit once you consult other sources that will corroborate your own opinion.  :lol:

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It's nothing short of incredible. 

20 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Actually I'm saying this particular stat (BMI) is not legit...

3 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Actually I'm saying this particular stat (BMI) is not legit...

Like I said last spring, the stats are BS. Especially in NY. You can look it up. Yet you still persist. Flat earther. 

6 hours ago, TimHauck said:

From the link:

Molnupiravir, which Merck officials said has been shown to be effective in several strains of SARS-CoV-2, was invented at Drug Innovations at Emory, a not-for-profit biotechnology company wholly owned by Emory University.

Is this where @peenieworks?  She is some sorta biotechnician in Atlanta.  :dunno: 

And information on cuomo's legacy keeps going on and on and on...

Cuomo admin ordered homes for disabled to accept coronavirus patients & never reversed it

NY Republicans said they were unable to get latest information about group home infections. 

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's administration ordered homes for people with developmental disabilities to accept coronavirus patients — and never rescinded the order. 

The April 10 directive, which mirrored the Cuomo administration's controversial order to nursing homes, also told homes for people with developmental disabilities that they could not require hospitalized residents to be tested for coronavirus prior to admission or readmission.

Five hundred fifty-two residents at homes for people with developmental disabilities have died of coronavirus, the New York Office for People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) told Fox News on Monday.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cuomo-administration-homes-developmentally-disabled-coronavirus

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

This Tim guy is exactly like sho. No reality and they spam.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Hand said:

This Tim guy is exactly like sho. No reality and they spam.

He's also like Tim schoshit. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lod001 said:

He's also like Tim schoshit. 

Tim loves to hear himself talk. It’s unbelievable. Sho is out of control with his fascination with sources and facts. 

6 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

CDC says, Mask mandates were associated with an average 1.32% decrease in the growth rates of COVID-19 cases and deaths during the first 100 days after the mask policy was implemented.

1.32% that's it. For as much attention as masks get all they "helped" was 1.32%. It's probably much lower because we know the flu and common cold is being miss diagnosed COVID.

Masks also lead people to engage in risker behavior because they thought they were safe. So yeah I'm betting we'd have less COVID infections if there wasn't a mask policy.

This study shows people who believed masks work. spent more time outside the house potentially being exposed and exposing others. In others words masks are a net negative benifit

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-82574-w

Masks cured the flu..

Also..

Masks slowed the growth of Covid by 1.32%..

What more do you possibly need to hear to understand how badly we've been manipulated?

:dunno:

Democrats are in power now though so, I guess it was worth it.

8 minutes ago, Reality said:

Masks cured the flu..

Also..

Masks slowed the growth of Covid by 1.32%..

What more do you possibly need to hear to understand how badly we've been manipulated?

:dunno:

Democrats are in power now though so, I guess it was worth it.

Masks probably didn't cure the flu

Social distancing, working/going to school from home, washing your hands and people actually staying home when they were sick likely did.

We're still testing for the flu.   Less than 0.1% positive.

3 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Masks probably didn't cure the flu

Social distancing, working/going to school from home, washing your hands and people actually staying home when they were sick likely did.

We're still testing for the flu.   Less than 0.1% positive.

Right, makes perfect sense, no one should ever question it.

29 minutes ago, Reality said:

Right, makes perfect sense, no one should ever question it.

Same thing happened all over the world, including in places that didn’t even have many covid cases

One year into this what have we learned

1. Lockdowns don't work

2. Masks don't work

3. Vaccines don't work

4. People will trade freedom for perceived security.

The only thing that worked was staying home and away from other people. Thanks to the WHO and CDC lying about the effectiveness of mask people didn't stay home and engaged in risky behavior due to a talisman (masks). 

31 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

1. Lockdowns don't work

2. Masks don't work

3. Vaccines don't work

The only thing that worked was staying home and away from other people. Thanks to the WHO and CDC lying about the effectiveness of mask people didn't stay home and engaged in risky behavior due to a talisman (masks). 

I learned today that fat people aren't being hospitalized at a greater rate because we are all fat. :dunno:

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I learned today that fat people aren't being hospitalized at a greater rate because we are all fat. :dunno:

I forgot that! Thanks

9 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

1. Lockdowns don't work

2. Masks don't work

3. Vaccines don't work

I’m not pro lockdown but you realize the goal of lockdowns is essentially getting people to “stay home and away from other people,” right?

Most people never really said masks were that critical, just that they help.  I agree I think it’s dumb when people say things like “you’re killing people by not wearing a mask!”  I think the issue is that it’s such a simple thing, if people can’t be bothered to do that then there’s not much hope in doing other things to end this .  Such as taking the vaccine.

All indications are the vaccine works by the way.  If you’re referring to the link posted in the vaccine thread about low antibody levels in old people, basically the same findings came out earlier on about people that had it, and supposedly their antibody levels were low only a few weeks later.  And yet there still have been very few reports of people getting it twice.

10 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Well I admitted “obese” by BMI are fat - that was 50.2% so technically a greater rate

But was simply calling out that there are many people “overweight” by BMI standards that many would not actually consider to be fat.

for example:

6’ tall, 185 lbs

5’9”, 170 lbs

5’6”, 155 lbs

all considered overweight by BMI standards

30 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Well I admitted “obese” by BMI are fat - that was 50.2% so technically a greater rate

But was simply calling out that there are many people “overweight” by BMI standards that many would not actually consider to be fat.

for example:

6’ tall, 185 lbs

5’9”, 170 lbs

5’6”, 155 lbs

all considered overweight by BMI standards

Play semantics all you want. People with 25%+ BMI are admitted at a higher rate.  :dunno:

3 hours ago, TimHauck said:

I’m not pro lockdown but you realize the goal of lockdowns is essentially getting people to “stay home and away from other people,” right?

Most people never really said masks were that critical, just that they help.  I agree I think it’s dumb when people say things like “you’re killing people by not wearing a mask!”  I think the issue is that it’s such a simple thing, if people can’t be bothered to do that then there’s not much hope in doing other things to end this .  Such as taking the vaccine.

All indications are the vaccine works by the way.  If you’re referring to the link posted in the vaccine thread about low antibody levels in old people, basically the same findings came out earlier on about people that had it, and supposedly their antibody levels were low only a few weeks later.  And yet there still have been very few reports of people getting it twice.

You realize the lockdown caused more issues than they fixed.

Dude GTFO of here you and I have pages of arguments about masks. Now that you're proven wrong masks are all of a sudden not that "critical." Move that goal post some more. :rolleyes:

If the indication says it works why do I still have to wear a mask (that we agree doesn't work) and social distance? 

Also don't tell hawkeye few people get it twice. He said he's had it like 5 times.

17 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

You realize the lockdown caused more issues than they fixed.

Dude GTFO of here you and I have pages of arguments about masks. Now that you're proven wrong masks are all of a sudden not that "critical." Move that goal post some more. :rolleyes:

If the indication says it works why do I still have to wear a mask (that we agree doesn't work) and social distance? 

Also don't tell hawkeye few people get it twice. He said he's had it like 5 times.

I've never said masks were "critical," just that they helped.   I was arguing with you when you were claiming they made it worse and I'd stand by that.

They say you should still wear a mask after the vaccine because they're not sure.    I imagine that may change once they have more data and I think mask restrictions will continue to ease as the numbers continue to improve overall.

The hospitals have to use something to measure body fat, healthy weight, whatever. Literally the ONLY thing to accurately measure how much body fat one has is autopsy. 

BMI is outdated and gives a false impression of body fat and health, but they NEED something they can use across the board. You can't leave it up to one doctor to say, "Yeah you're fat....." and another saying, "Naw, not fat." They need a number, a measure, something. 

Sure, those that have a LOT of lean mass will reflect as overweight, BUT...how many people do you know that actually have like 15% body fat and/or are SUPER ripped and lean? Even a 15% BF is low. Anything over 35% for women is dangerous, and men is around 28%. Can you tell BF by looking at someone? No. 

BUT...you can take their height and weight, and use averages, etc. 

MOST of America is at least overweight, basically around the 20 to 30% range. I'd guess that over 1/3 of our population fits in this. 

BMI sucks and it is NOT accurate, but hospitals need to have something, aside from cutting you open and seeing how much adipose or visceral fat you have.