kozmiq

Do you believe in God ?

20 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Since there is already a previous ruling in the Cakeshop vs Colorado I think it's safe to assume the Klein's will ultimately win. And yes very cool.

Thank you for finally understanding why then. Only took 3 pages. 

Discrimination is cool because muh Religion. Keep that nonsense.  Just dont claim some moral life superiority. 

By the way on a side note I've just happened to start the 1st post on 3 straight pages. That has to be some sort of record. I get a Turkey or something don't I?

6 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

By the way on a side note I've just happened to start the 1st post on 3 straight pages. That has to be some sort of record. I get a Turkey or something don't I?

Uh, no, in fact you risk incurring God's wrath for not including ~40, ~80, and ~120.  :mad:

12 hours ago, Voltaire said:

This. Although with a tl/dr plodding twisting rant into my atheism, first.

God has a running 0-fer-lifetime record on the prayer answer request line  by me. In fact most all of those prayer requests were registered when I was a kid. Since it was always pointless, I gave up trying and these last 25/30 years or so God is 0-fer-0.

My childhood sucked. I was in a bad situation when I was a kid and I sure could have used some help, but whenever I asked for some, none was ever forthcoming. Still, when you're told your immortal soul is on the line, you don't want to give up trying. You take those warnings seriously, even though help never arrives, it's a long slow stressful process, a big struggle. I was already having to deal with a father who had an untreated GFIAFP-type mental disordered and was seldom employed. Then,  I had this equally useless God that I was supposed to pray to for relief only to be disappointed time and again and again when that relief never came.

It occurs to me that the reason all my prayers went unanswered is that either God doesn't exist or that I'm ultra low priority and not worth helping. I prefer the former explanation. The biggest reason that I don't get disappointed about not winning the lottery is because I don't play the lottery. I see prayer in terms of me use to buying fake lottery tickets but I stopped because I realized I would never win. I can deal with that. But if the religious folks are right and God is real to you,  then let me be crystal clear: God has proven beyond any doubt, that he doesn't give a sh*t about me. I have a (psychological) suitcase full of unheeded needy-child prayer request receipts. Real God or unreal, either way, prayer had been proven to be utterly pointless in my life. I got through my childhood and teenage years without any supernatural relief or help at all and a bunch of mental stress. I went in the Army, went to college, continued to strike out in life, moved to China, found my footing, got married, and got on with my life. No help. When I was a child praying for help, I got rolled over. Then when I prayed for more help, life backed up and rolled up on top of me, burnt rubber into my chest for a few seconds, then sped off. Rinse. Repeat. That's my experience with prayer. Roadkill. Disappointment. So, when I got older, I learned to stop wasting my time praying,  I took charge of my life, did by everything myself without ever praying, in this manner, I found happiness and success and peace of mind along the way. No help requested, no help received.

The last time that it occurred to me that prayer might be useful was fourteen years ago when my wife was pregnant with my eldest daughter. She was required to stay in the hospital out of concerns that her pregnancy was ectopic. Now by this point, I hadn't prayed in many years, maybe now would be a good time. Then, I realized the absurdity or my predicament: the baby was attached very near the mouth of the Fallopian tube. If she was attached in the uterus, great; if in the tube, disaster. But where ever it was that she was attached at, a prayer would not move it a millimeter or three away from danger. And when had prayer ever done me a lick of good? Well, I had a lifetime of experience answering that question. So, I didn't get suckered back into the mental cage again. I did not pray, things turned out fine, and have not considered prayer at all since.

I use to get angry about this half a lifetime's worth of unanswered prayer requests. I was a child, my life sucked, I really could have used some help. Didn't get any. Now that I'm an adult and I don't need any help, I don't send any requests. Again, it's my experience there isn't an entity answering the phone who gives a sh*t. My reasoning for that is that this entity doesn't exist. I absolutely reached out. I tried.

I still do recognize there's still worth in religion even if there's nobody answering the prayer phone. Living your life in accords with these principles keeps your head on straight and out of trouble which is it's own reward. And if it helps prevent you from getting Woke, this evil non-theistic cult religion, great. Even better. But fock prayer. Utterly useless. I am so done with that.

Read this.  It will change your life.  https://www.christianbook.com/when-bad-things-happen-good-people/harold-kushner/9781400034727/pd/034720?event=PRCER1

26 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

A better seat in hell? :dunno:

44 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Discrimination is cool because muh Religion. Keep that nonsense.  Just dont claim some moral life superiority. 

My disgust for the homosexual community has nothing to do with religion. It's a perversion that shouldn't be legal let alone celebrated as a strength.

13 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

My disgust for the homosexual community has nothing to do with religion. It's a perversion that shouldn't be legal let alone celebrated as a strength.

What is bigotry? Thanks Alex...

1 hour ago, cyclone24 said:

What is bigotry? Thanks Alex...

And that's worse than people who have live babies cut into little pieces and pulled out of their bodies as a form of birth control?

You can't be againt someone for a particular  lifestyle choice now?

I believe in God. It just makes sense to me. We're so far advanced compared to the animal kingdom that it can't just be by chance. Religion is another matter. No single one can have all the answers, but maybe they all get some things right, maybe some more than others, who knows. I was raised Catholic, but that doesn't drive my belief. Actually what convinces me is something that happened to me years ago at a Protestant church. It was nothing spiritual or "supernatural", but the result of it has affected me my whole life since then. It's something I've never told anyone, not even my wife, and I plan to take it to the grave.

I really don't care what anyone thinks or believes about the subject, just don't be doosh about it, no matter what side you're on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I go to mass a few times a year and we send our kids to Catholic school.

I am agnostic and am not sure what I believe.

Gonna be some interesting conversations with your kids if they go all in I suspect. That's a good thing I suppose. 

I grew up a Catholic.   Both parents were old-school masshole Catholics.   Went to church every Sunday, confession, all that stuff.  

Drifted away from it as I got older.   As I got even older and started to think about the issues and ideas, I became an atheist and I do not believe in god.   

My views of organized religion became more cynical over time and are pretty negative now.   I believe that they are both a form of control and a reaction to the desperate desire of almost all of humankind to answer the question "is there anything after we die?"    Telling people that there is something more/better after we die not only answers that desperate question but it also makes for a more malleable and manageable population for the ruling elite.    Done and done.    Everybody is scared that this all we have.    No one knows what happens after.   How will your population react if they realize that the medievel sh!t sandwich of a life that they have is all they will ever have?   They will rise up and throw your a$$es out and take all of your stuff.   Can't have that.   If you can answer the question that they are all crying out and make them easier to rule at the same time = win.  What I have written above could explain almost all organized religions in all of human history.  

On the existential question, that one was harder to figure out but here's where I am at.    There has to be divinity because it is just too impossible that we could be here and doing what we are doing, right?    But when you consider the enormity of the universe and the breadth of time, you are talking about a trillion billion things coming into contact with a trillion billion opportunities and then you actually have the chance of the longest of long shots coming through.    Some lightning, some OK environmental conditions, and trillion other coincidences come together and that creates life.   Over millions of years life slowly builds and there are natural built in rewards for the life that is resourceful and relentlessly reproduces.   Given enough time that then evolves to humans and humans succeed above all because of their ability to think at a higher level.   That is then naturally reinforced and rewarded again and humankind then rapidly evolves to dominate the world and it's thinking ability evolves rapidly too.   And now we are here where we are because of that.    And that thinking would mean that there is probably life in the universe beyond us but not a lot of it as it takes the coincedences of a trillion billion possibilities coming together to make it happen.   

So there is no god, no grand purpose, nothing to live for, right?   Not really.    If you think like me that we are just the result of a colossal cosmic crap shoot and there is nothing but darkness after we go - then the only option is to be as hedonistic as possible for the time you have,  right?    I guess you could go that route.   But my attitude is that if this is all I have then I am not going to waste it being some kind of self-centered doosh bag.    What I am going to try to do is enjoy life as much as I can but if this is all I have - there has to be some meaning.    So raising your family right, contributing to your community, being a good friend,  and doing something with your career where you have some meaning and impact (positively) on others is all you have to leave for your footprint.    So in it's own weird way, atheism if properly applied and understood actually ends up with you believing in living a life that would be in line with the best and most useful teachings of organized religion, without all of the other crap.     

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

No, that’s the woke’s prerogative now. Talk about being 100x worse than the Bible thumpers of the 80s.

14 hours ago, Patented Phil said:

I don’t need my life changed. My life is good as is. I needed my life changed when I was twelve. That never happened. I didn’t commit suicide, I graduated High School and went in the Army. I fixed my problem  all by myself without divine intervention. The opportunity was there for God to help, instead I got put on hold for six years like Comcast customer service does and finally hung up the phone.

Accepting that God doesn’t exist is easier than thinking he does exist and does help people, but didn’t help me.

I am a 48-year-old man in my life has been good for the last 19 years. I did that myself. If something were to happen to me like Jerry or wiffleball or rholio, I wouldn’t pray because I happen to remember what it’s like to be a 10-year-old who cried and prayed and didn’t get any relief in return. 

On 8/16/2020 at 8:21 PM, cyclone24 said:

How Christian. 

Actually I came in saying believe in whatever fairy tale you want, just don't make laws based on your delusion. Sorry about asking for proof...again...you want to base your life on something you have zero evidence actually happens? Cool. Weird and odd you think you have mental telepathy conversations with a "god" but you do you. 

Oh..and ill be voting republican like I have every election. 

22 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

What laws are you talking about? Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal. I’m confused. Your posts show your bigotry and complete lack of knowledge of the christian religion.

you are obviously and angry unhappy person, what you believe in does not seem to be working. God is there for you.

For those with faith, no answer is necessary. For those without faith no answer is possible. Thomas Aquinas

You ask for proof but don’t even back up your allegations with facts or examples. The fact you think you are debating is laughable.

2 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I don’t need my life changed. My life is good as is. I needed my life changed when I was twelve. That never happened. I didn’t commit suicide, I graduated High School and went in the Army. I fixed my problem  all by myself without divine intervention. The opportunity was there for God to help, instead I got put on hold for six years like Comcast customer service does and finally hung up the phone.

Accepting that God doesn’t exist is easier than thinking he does exist and does help people, but didn’t help me.

I am a 48-year-old man in my life has been good for the last 19 years. I did that myself. If something were to happen to me like Jerry or wiffleball or rholio, I wouldn’t pray because I happen to remember what it’s like to be a 10-year-old who cried and prayed and didn’t get any relief in return. 

You went through what you did for a reason. You came out a better stronger person. Considering your out come you don’t don’t realize it but your prayers were answered but they weren’t answered in the way you wanted. You don’t pray to have your troubles go away, you pray for the strength and help to deal with them. You don’t pray that you get that dream job, you pray for the opportunity to pursue the job. God and prayer are not magic that relieves all your problem. He is there to help you though these situations. 

5 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

You went through what you did for a reason. You came out a better stronger person. Considering your out come you don’t don’t realize it but your prayers were answered but they weren’t answered in the way you wanted. You don’t pray to have your troubles go away, you pray for the strength and help to deal with them. You don’t pray that you get that dream job, you pray for the opportunity to pursue the job. God and prayer are not magic that relieves all your problem. He is there to help you though these situations. 

What an absolute load of crap. 

So if he powers thru despite asking for help then it was God who didn't actually give what you asked but gave you the strength. 

Does God just say screw em to the kids who commit suicide?

If he kills himself then its...well humans have free will. 

9 hours ago, Masshole said:

I grew up a Catholic.   Both parents were old-school masshole Catholics.   Went to church every Sunday, confession, all that stuff.  

Drifted away from it as I got older.   As I got even older and started to think about the issues and ideas, I became an atheist and I do not believe in god.   

My views of organized religion became more cynical over time and are pretty negative now.   I believe that they are both a form of control and a reaction to the desperate desire of almost all of humankind to answer the question "is there anything after we die?"    Telling people that there is something more/better after we die not only answers that desperate question but it also makes for a more malleable and manageable population for the ruling elite.    Done and done.    Everybody is scared that this all we have.    No one knows what happens after.   How will your population react if they realize that the medievel sh!t sandwich of a life that they have is all they will ever have?   They will rise up and throw your a$$es out and take all of your stuff.   Can't have that.   If you can answer the question that they are all crying out and make them easier to rule at the same time = win.  What I have written above could explain almost all organized religions in all of human history.  

On the existential question, that one was harder to figure out but here's where I am at.    There has to be divinity because it is just too impossible that we could be here and doing what we are doing, right?    But when you consider the enormity of the universe and the breadth of time, you are talking about a trillion billion things coming into contact with a trillion billion opportunities and then you actually have the chance of the longest of long shots coming through.    Some lightning, some OK environmental conditions, and trillion other coincidences come together and that creates life.   Over millions of years life slowly builds and there are natural built in rewards for the life that is resourceful and relentlessly reproduces.   Given enough time that then evolves to humans and humans succeed above all because of their ability to think at a higher level.   That is then naturally reinforced and rewarded again and humankind then rapidly evolves to dominate the world and it's thinking ability evolves rapidly too.   And now we are here where we are because of that.    And that thinking would mean that there is probably life in the universe beyond us but not a lot of it as it takes the coincedences of a trillion billion possibilities coming together to make it happen.   

So there is no god, no grand purpose, nothing to live for, right?   Not really.    If you think like me that we are just the result of a colossal cosmic crap shoot and there is nothing but darkness after we go - then the only option is to be as hedonistic as possible for the time you have,  right?    I guess you could go that route.   But my attitude is that if this is all I have then I am not going to waste it being some kind of self-centered doosh bag.    What I am going to try to do is enjoy life as much as I can but if this is all I have - there has to be some meaning.    So raising your family right, contributing to your community, being a good friend,  and doing something with your career where you have some meaning and impact (positively) on others is all you have to leave for your footprint.    So in it's own weird way, atheism if properly applied and understood actually ends up with you believing in living a life that would be in line with the best and most useful teachings of organized religion, without all of the other crap.     

Well said and pretty much in line with my view.  I was raised Catholic but wasnt forced to attend church all the time.  

Ive never understood the idea that "there has to be something! How are we so advanced?".   Sure there is something.  Doesnt have to be a God.  The universe is a bazillion years old.  Monkeys are also much more advanced than worms.  Whats the point?

56 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

What an absolute load of crap. 

So if he powers thru despite asking for help then it was God who didn't actually give what you asked but gave you the strength. 

Does God just say screw em to the kids who commit suicide?

If he kills himself then its...well humans have free will. 

Your ideas about God are nothing more the atheist talking points. You are completely ignorant on the topic you are trying to argue.

And no God does not always help you for reason you are not capable to understand.

i am still waiting for the Christian Laws that we’re passed that you don’t agree with.

1 minute ago, Baker Boy said:

Your ideas about God are nothing more the atheist talking points. You are completely ignorant on the topic you are trying to argue.

i am still waiting for the Christian Laws that we’re passed that you don’t agree with.

Not one aspect of what I said is incorrect.  Just lobbing out "ignorant" doesn't make it so.

Its hilarious. If it happens to go the way you prayed? God answered. If it doesn't...well he helped you with strength or answered in another way....if things go really south? Well man has free will. 

I've answered. Preventing equality is the same as a law. 

3 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I hear ya.  Believe me I’m not a holy roller type.  I just had similar experiences and stumbled on that book one day.  It presented a view of God differently than the type that answered a prayer hotline, so I thought I’d suggest it.  If nothing else the book is very interesting, and best of all - it’s short.  Anyhow - kudos to you for overcoming.  Appreciate hearing all that. 👍

8 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Not one aspect of what I said is incorrect.  Just lobbing out "ignorant" doesn't make it so.

Its hilarious. If it happens to go the way you prayed? God answered. If it doesn't...well he helped you with strength or answered in another way....if things go really south? Well man has free will. 

I've answered. Preventing equality is the same as a law. 

No it isn’t, a law applies to everyone, you have picked a point where a very small minority of Christians participate

this may but the most ignorant post I have ever read.

what laws, you said laws!

3 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

No it isn’t a law applies to everyone, this may but the most ignorant post I have ever read.

what laws, you said laws!

You are really trying hard here. Numerous States had specific laws banning gay marriage. So just to slow it down for you that is a specific group that is targeted by a law. Many States just banned or wouldn't recognize it so that's not exactly a law. But nationally for decades whether by law or unrecognized it discriminated. 

Luckily courts said you goofballs were wrong.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:20 AM, kozmiq said:

Obviously, it's not a person but do you think there's something there that listens to your prayers and acts upon them.

Something that decides on good from bad (whatever the heck that is).

And as importantly, a Heaven and Hell (whatever the heck they are).

Do you believe in God ?

No, but I don't discount the possibility that I could be wrong.

Just now, cyclone24 said:

You are really trying hard here. Numerous States had specific laws banning gay marriage. So just to slow it down for you that is a specific group that is targeted by a law. Many States just banned or wouldn't recognize it so that's not exactly a law. But nationally for decades whether by law or unrecognized it discriminated. 

Take a look at how long that was the norm in this country, that was not a Christian thing it was excepted by everyone as the norm. We are talking today.

give it up!

3 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Take a look at how long that was the norm in this country, that was not a Christian thing it was excepted by everyone as the norm. We are talking today.

give it up!

Haha.... Oh sorry gay people that we disallowed equality to you for decades upon decades and ridiculed you to the point of suicides, afraid to tell family,, etc...but you can do it now so why are you complaining? And that was 100% driven by the christian right...the predominant religion in this country. No question.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

So people being against gay marriage or discriminating against them is purely based on religion? That’s just silly and fly’s in the face of common sense. 

My step mom was catholic so when I was with my dad as a kid I had to go to catholic mass. If we could not go to mass we had to watch it on the local catholic station.  I hated it. It was so stupid. I thought nothing could be worse than this. 

Enter my mother. My mom is wonderful person. Really. But she always searched for something higher. We went to baptist churches that were fire and brimstone. The preacher yelling from the pulpit about your soul burning in hell to Pentecostal churches where they did not allow their women to wear shorts and fell out in the spirit and talked in tongues. Which by the way is a focking absurd thing. 

But byyyyy far the best was the time we were going to a Methodist church.  Like I said my mom always searched and it did not really stop with Christianity. So she also would do tarot cards for fun. I mean she literally got a deck at a local flea market and did them for her friends. One day when we went to church(keeping in mind we were  12,10, and 8 at the time) we went to get into the pew and my mother tapped a lady on the shoulder to ask if we could slide in. The lady jumped up like my mom had hit her. Yelled "jump back devil in the name of jeeeeeesus chrriiiiissssssttttt....and "fainted".  My mom looked at us. Said ok boys. Were going home. I never went to another church again. 

Religion is a scam. It is only there to make people feel good about themselves while they are alive and to take money from people.  It gives the weak minded the idea that if they are reallyyyyyyyy good santa er I mean god will reward you after making his list and checking it twice. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So people being against gay marriage or discriminating against them is purely based on religion? That’s just silly and fly’s in the face of common sense. 

Lol... Literally on this page we have people citing the commandments as a basis for laws in this country. Do I really need to cite Bible verses that show Christianity is very against gay marriage? 

You can't claim that The Bible and the commandments are a basis for our laws and norms in this country and then try to dismiss the parts you don't like because they make you sound like jerk offs. Which is the most religious thing ever btw. 

2 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

Haha.... Oh sorry gay people that we disallowed equality to you for decades upon decades and ridiculed you to the point of suicides, afraid to tell family,, etc...but you can do it now so why are you complaining? And that was 100% driven by the christian right...the predominant religion in this country. No question.

Why do you care so much? Something you want to tell us?

7 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I'd prefer that he keep it to himself.

22 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I've had friends deal with this nonsense their whole life, 1 friend kill himself over it....want to believe in a silly ark, talking bushes, and rib stealing....Great.  Can't ignore or shirk religions role in that. 

Also I love deep pounding anal. Wait...what? :)

1 hour ago, cyclone24 said:

I've had friends deal with this nonsense their whole life, 1 friend kill himself over it....want to believe in a silly ark, talking bushes, and rib stealing....Great.  Can't ignore or shirk religions role in that. 

Also I love deep pounding anal. Wait...what? :)

So the concept of religion is causing your friends to kill themselves?  

You seem to have some deep fear of realizing that faith in God helps many people. Just because you lack in some aspects of life, you seem to have the desire to convince others that you have all the knowledge of God and his lack of existence. Even though you have no clue.

Gee, I wonder if any non religious people ever killed themselves. 🤔

4 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

Lol... Literally on this page we have people citing the commandments as a basis for laws in this country. Do I really need to cite Bible verses that show Christianity is very against gay marriage? 

You can't claim that The Bible and the commandments are a basis for our laws and norms in this country and then try to dismiss the parts you don't like because they make you sound like jerk offs. Which is the most religious thing ever btw. 

All societies have persecuted and discriminated against homosexuality. It’s been universal, with or without religion. Until USA 2020. They are doing great. 

57 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

So the concept of religion is causing your friends to kill themselves?  

You seem to have some deep fear of realizing that faith in God helps many people. Just because you lack in some aspects of life, you seem to have the desire to convince others that you have all the knowledge of God and his lack of existence. Even though you have no clue.

Gee, I wonder if any non religious people ever killed themselves. 🤔

You literally can't be that stupid. Its not religion, it's the teachings that have been ingrained and obviously still are. Religion (clearly) has taught generations that gay marriage, being gay is wrong, sinful, etc to where parents disowned or ruined relationships with their kids. As one with common sense that should tell you what a massive stress that is on someone. Then not being able to marry, ever? Just a crap way to treat people. 

11 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

You literally can't be that stupid. Its not religion, it's the teachings that have been ingrained and obviously still are. Religion (clearly) has taught generations that gay marriage, being gay is wrong, sinful, etc to where parents disowned or ruined relationships with their kids. As one with common sense that should tell you what a massive stress that is on someone. Then not being able to marry, ever? Just a crap way to treat people. 

Being gay is wrong. It's quite literally unnatural. If the entire world were gay, we would cease to exist. Yeah I GUESS they shouldn't go to jail for what they do behind closed doors, but they shouldn't be allowed to marry and definitely shouldn't be allowed to adopt.

Also your friend killed themselves because they had mental issue unrelated to religion and would have done it either way.

• Like 1