edjr

Top 25 most Overrated Rock Bands of all time

8 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Rusty Already did---I just seconded it

Rusty is a hack and a fraud. No one listens to him anymore

14 minutes ago, edjr said:

Rusty is a hack and a fraud. No one listens to him anymore

The fact that Shark Dance didn't make that list makes me better than all these bands.

:first:

My top 5, in no particular order:

U2
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
The Eagles
Bruce Springsteen

1 minute ago, posty said:

My top 5, in no particular order:

U2
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
The Eagles
Bruce Springsteen

Wait a second! Are you admitting you know what/who something is and you have heard it? :o

• Haha 1

I think Stairway To Heaven drags Led Zep down. It was their only song that got lots of air time and it got played out. They still have lots of great stuff. If you don’t like Immigrant Song you’re probably a chick. 

17 minutes ago, edjr said:

Wait a second! Are you admitting you know what/who something is and you have heard it? :o

LOL

Ummm....

58 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I think Stairway To Heaven drags Led Zep down. It was their only song that got lots of air time and it got played out. They still have lots of great stuff. If you don’t like Immigrant Song you’re probably a chick. 

It's the greatest rock song of all time yet one of only two Zep songs I rarely listen to. The other one is D'yer Maker. 

1 hour ago, edjr said:

Touch of Gay was played on the radio and MTV, more than every single kiss song combined

Well, you're wrong. Obviously, you were just a tyke in the late 70s, so I'll give you a pass.

3 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

Well, you're wrong. Obviously, you were just a tyke in the late 70s, so I'll give you a pass.

Tis true. 

If I had to put together my top 5 in no particular order they would be:

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

Dave Matthews Band

Bob Dylan

Creedence Clearwater Revival (I literally turn the song when I hear one of CCR's come on)

Just my opinion and nothing you say will change my mind. 

Also the writer of the original post is Ethan Reynolds and if you go to the link (https://www.directexpose.com/overrated-bands-all-time/) and click on his name this is what is said about him:

Ethan Reynolds

Ethan grew up in sunny Los Angeles, where he learned the 27 proper uses of the word “chill.” A Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings enthusiast, he’s convinced that he was a wine-loving, harp-playing wood elf in a past life. In this reality based world, however, he is currently an active musician who writes, records, and performs his own music.

2 hours ago, Rusty Syringes said:

It's the greatest rock song of all time yet one of only two Zep songs I rarely listen to. The other one is D'yer Maker

Hearing people try to pronounce this song name makes me laugh. 😆

3 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

If I had to put together my top 5 in no particular order they would be:

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

Dave Matthews Band

Bob Dylan

Creedence Clearwater Revival (I literally turn the song when I hear one of CCR's come on)

Just my opinion and nothing you say will change my mind. 

Also the writer of the original post is Ethan Reynolds and if you go to the link (https://www.directexpose.com/overrated-bands-all-time/) and click on his name this is what is said about him:

Ethan Reynolds

Ethan grew up in sunny Los Angeles, where he learned the 27 proper uses of the word “chill.” A Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings enthusiast, he’s convinced that he was a wine-loving, harp-playing wood elf in a past life. In this reality based world, however, he is currently an active musician who writes, records, and performs his own music.

Yeah, let’s listen to this guy. 

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah, let’s listen to this guy. 

it's just an opinion, fock. it's okay to have your own. try us

1 minute ago, edjr said:

it's just an opinion, fock. it's okay to have your own. try us

Not all opinions are equal. 

8 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

The Doobie Brothers

Foreigner

Don't you want to know what love is?  

9 hours ago, Herbivore said:

My 5

Prince

:o :nono::mad:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cruzer said:

The Doobie Brothers

Foreigner

We used to be friends :(

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Herbivore said:

My 5

Prince

Bon Jovi

Def Leppard

The Band

Green Day

eta..Matchbox 20 could be in there

OOF. I can see the rest, but Prince? Seriously? And who the hell overrates Matchbox 20? 

My top 5:

5. Aerosmith

4. Grateful Dead (and pretty much every other jam band)

3. Radiohead

2. Chicago

1. The Eagles

20 hours ago, Herbivore said:

My 5

Prince

Bon Jovi

Def Leppard

The Band

Green Day

eta..Matchbox 20 could be in there

Anyone that lists prince as overrated doesn't know d!ck about music. 

Period 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fnord said:

OOF. I can see the rest, but Prince? Seriously? And who the hell overrates Matchbox 20? 

My top 5:

5. Aerosmith

4. Grateful Dead (and pretty much every other jam band)

3. Radiohead

2. Chicago

1. The Eagles

Good list, and I agree that Prince is a great musician.  My only nit on your list is Chicago; IMO they were fairly unique in combining big band with rock instruments and having commercial success.  Their 70s music is great IMO, but like I said earlier about other bands, the 80s killed their sound.  But, it isn’t my list so :music_guitarred:

14 hours ago, Fnord said:

14 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Anyone that lists prince as overrated doesn't know d!ck about music. 

Period 

These posts kind of help prove my point.  Prince is about the only one here who got any push back.  He is a great musician, who noone here I expect listens to.  Purple Rain, 1999 sure good albums..and then what Raspberry Beret?  all the stupid symbol albums.  

6 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

These posts kind of help prove my point.  Prince is about the only one here who got any push back.  He is a great musician, who noone here I expect listens to.  Purple Rain, 1999 sure good albums..and then what Raspberry Beret?  all the stupid symbol albums.  

What?   Your post doesn't make a lot of sense.

Prince was a fantastic guitarist not just good...fantastic...a hugely accomplished song writer.   Not to mention the commercial success of Purple Rain etc. 

He also was a Jehova's witness who even in his most popular days would go door to door in Minneapolis.

He wrote songs for others that were also very successful.

To say he was over rated is utter hogwash. 

Edited by supermike80

15 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Prince was a fantastic guitarist not just good...fantastic...a hugely accomplished song writer.   Not to mention the commercial success of Purple Rain etc. 

He also was a Jehova's witness who even in his most popular days would go door to door in Minneapolis.

Prince is top 10 of all time. Easy. Maybe top 5.

I like Prince. Always have. But let’s not pretend he largely went ignored for about 20 years after his peak. 

32 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

Shut up already. Damn. :banana:

42 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

this post doesnt make a lot of sense.  I didnt say he was good, I said he was a great musician.  and then said Purple Rain and 1999 were good albums, but there is no etc to that.  

23 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I like Prince. Always have. But let’s not pretend he largely went ignored for about 20 years after his peak. 

and, I too like Prince.  this is spot on HT.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

He tried to screw over his label and get out if his contract, he released 3 sh1t albums (in a hurry) to fulfill his obligation to said record label and not make them anymore money and he didn't really tour.  When he finally got out of the contract, he had turned into a crazy jehovah witness and it was too late.

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

He tried to screw over his label and get out if his contract, he released 3 sh1t albums (in a hurry) to fulfill his obligation to said record label and not make them anymore money and he didn't really tour.  When he finally got out of the contract, he had turned into a crazy jehovah witness and it was too late.

The Beatles stopped making music in the early 70’s. We’re never  ignored. At some point after twenty years it became really cool to like Prince. His talent was always evident and his music prior to those shite albums you reference were still great. I’m just wondering where these people were that whole time? Same jackoffs that subjected us to grunge , horrible auto tune pop and whatever hip hop is. 

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The Beatles stopped making music in the early 70’s. We’re never  ignored. At some point after twenty years it became really cool to like Prince. His talent was always evident and his music prior to those shite albums you reference were still great. I’m just wondering where these people were that whole time? Same jackoffs that subjected us to grunge , horrible auto tune pop and whatever hip hop is. 

Oh, for sure. I am guilty to a certain degree. Prince was it for me in the 80s and into the 90s. he was great, loved him, love everything he did. but it all went wrong with he changed into a symbol :wacko:   (cuckoo for cocoa puffs) can't say that didn't really end him for a lot of people. The he happened to be touring out around here in 2015 out of the blue (for 3 days) and luckily I got tix for Christmas.

Maybe had he told people why he was turning into a symbol, he would have faired better. But for legal reasons, I am sure he couldn't say he was trying to bone the record company and stop them from making money off of his original name.

14 minutes ago, edjr said:

Oh, for sure. I am guilty to a certain degree. Prince was it for me in the 80s and into the 90s. he was great, loved him, love everything he did. but it all went wrong with he changed into a symbol :wacko:   (cuckoo for cocoa puffs) can't say that didn't really end him for a lot of people. The he happened to be touring out around here in 2015 out of the blue (for 3 days) and luckily I got tix for Christmas.

Maybe had he told people why he was turning into a symbol, he would have faired better. But for legal reasons, I am sure he couldn't say he was trying to bone the record company and stop them from making money off of his original name.

I feel grunge is the reason music sucks today and Rock and pop suffered as a result. Grunge should have stopped with Nervermind and maybe a few others. But Rolling Stone and the rest of the music industry shoved it down our throats for too long, and when they realized it was never going to have mass appeal they grabbed on to whatever was out there, not aware of how bad that crap was, and shoved that down our throats. And that crap sold because it’s all there was at that point. Classic rock and pop had reached mass consumption and nothing took its place because grunge was hogging all the airtime. The gap didn’t last long, but it was enough. Hootie was big for gods sake. Really big.