Sign in to follow this  
RedzoneMonster

Cam Akers..

Don’t you just get the feeling he’s the next elite RB to have, and will be in consideration for the #1 overall pick in 2022?  I do..

Rb1 in five of his last seven games last season that includes the playoff games. 

For me his stock took a move up based on the Rams hiring mr Stafford. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedzoneMonster said:

Don’t you just get the feeling he’s the next elite RB to have, and will be in consideration for the #1 overall pick in 2022?  I do..

:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, RedzoneMonster said:

That's a pretty lofty goal for a guy who had only 2 games with 75+ rushing yards and 3 total TDs in his only regular season to date.

I think he'll be a top 8 RB on volume if he can stay healthy.  I don't think he's especially talented, but the Rams use him as a bell cow and they have an effective rushing attack.  Doesn't hurt that he gets a couple of receptions every game on top of the rushing totals.

I get the feeling that he's gonna be a stud workhorse RB on a high powered offense, and a very solid RB 1, or he's gonna be the next guy that can't seem to make it out of a value killing RBBC. His situation looks great on paper. It looks like he will get every opportunity to be the starter and even play 3 downs. He finished last season pretty strong, and played his best ball in the playoffs against better teams. His team has gotten better at the QB position and the offense should be flying.

Only thing is, he has some injury concerns, but what RB doesn't?

He has a pretty solid back up, in Henderson, who could easily steal some touches.

I'm not sure exactly how much work he's gonna get in the passing game. He should get a fair amount but maybe not huge.

That’s right about where I see Akers rb1 8-12th. 

Better qb and losing Brown and his 5 rushing tds should help. 

Also Akers did only score 2 tds in the regular season, but in two playoffs games he did score two rushing tds.  

7 hours ago, RedzoneMonster said:

No I don’t.  I think he’ll produce more this season if he stays on the field.

But consideration for the over all number one pick in 2022, I can’t see that.  

Yes, once they got their head out of their ass and used him as the main guy he took off and had great games. If they commit to him this season he has major breakout capability.

The guy only had 14 targets in the pass game. Caught 11 for 123 yards. I bet that goes way up this year. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, weepaws said:

That’s right about where I see Akers rb1 8-12th. 

Better qb and losing Brown and his 5 rushing tds should help. 

Also Akers did only score 2 tds in the regular season, but in two playoffs games he did score two rushing tds.  

Yeah. Against Seattle in the first playoff game he had 131 yards rushing with a TD and 2 catches for 45 yards.

90 yards rushing on only 18 carries against GB and a TD.

Hopefully that was more of a sign of things to come for him. 

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, weepaws said:

No I don’t.  I think he’ll produce more this season if he stays on the field.

But consideration for the over all number one pick in 2022, I can’t see that.  

I could see it potentially. It's not that likely at all but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Todd Gurley was the top fantasy RB in that system. I don't know that he's quite that good but he should be able to come close.

Tough comparison, when healthy Gurley and Akers are not even on the league imo, I think Gurley has a lot more over all talent.  

But Akers has the better Qb situation 

He was my #3 RB last year. I had picks 6,7, and 8. Thought for shore he'd fall to me. But a leaguemate took him with the 3rd pick. I was pretty bummed about it.

I'm a definite believer in him also.

4 hours ago, Kopy said:

He was my #3 RB last year. I had picks 6,7, and 8. Thought for shore he'd fall to me. But a leaguemate took him with the 3rd pick. I was pretty bummed about it.

I'm a definite believer in him also.

It’s only May , right now I have him ranked as a rb1, in the 8-12 range, I’m not sold that he’s a good enough talent to ever be the overall number 1 pick , but I think he’ll produce this season as a rb like what we saw towards the end of last season and into the playoffs, but I do like his situation for success better than I did last season, Stafford should help make this offense one of the top units in the league imo, so if I ask you this question, no feet to the fire come December, I promise, where right now do you have him ranked? 

Appreciate the return   

Lots of “if healthy” caveats.  I’d be surprised if he plays more than 10 games.

If McVay opens up the offense, he’s got real nice upside. Malcolm Brown is gone.

Currently sitting at 2.05 on FFC for 12-team PPR drafts.

You'll be paying for a low-end RB1, whether or not you get one.

Currently on FFC 2.06 non Ppr. 

I have him inside my rb1 rankings , I think that’s what he’ll be worth. 

I like him the problem is he has Henderson there in McVay sometimes likes to ride the hot hand a bit. For where you have to draft him I just don’t have enough good feelings he’s going to dominate touches to where his ADP is

I think his ADP is right on par.  

4 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think his ADP is right on par.  

...for being a bust.  I’m getting definite Laurence Maroney 2007 vibes 

2 hours ago, TimHauck said:

...for being a bust.  I’m getting definite Laurence Maroney 2007 vibes 

That’s ok, and I hope many feel the same way, I would like to see his ADP drop.  

I’m not worried about his opportunity to dominate the touches. He’s far more elusive and explosive than Henderson. My concern is his ability to stay healthy.

1 hour ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I’m not worried about his opportunity to dominate the touches. He’s far more elusive and explosive than Henderson. My concern is his ability to stay healthy.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, LoOnAtIk said:

What's a longer list RB's one might be concerned will stay healthy, or RB's one might worry about opportunities to dominate touches?

22 minutes ago, jrokh said:

What's a longer list RB's one might be concerned will stay healthy, or RB's one might worry about opportunities to dominate touches?

Depends on the person. 

• Like 1

Even with a pretty good fantasy year I think he could finish top 6-8 for rbs. In the future though I think his ceiling would be in the top 5. Maybe,  just maybe he could be rb3 but that'll take a lot of doing on his part.

59 minutes ago, DocNiner said:

Even with a pretty good fantasy year I think he could finish top 6-8 for rbs. In the future though I think his ceiling would be in the top 5. Maybe,  just maybe he could be rb3 but that'll take a lot of doing on his part.

"Top 4-5 easy, but there's no way he gets the extra 5 points he would need to move into the top 3."

lol

3 hours ago, DocNiner said:

I still like him as a low rb1, more in the 8-12 range non ppr. 

But we’ll see what happens. 

I've noticed a lot of love for Darrell Henderson in mock drafts and other discussion sites as well as twitter. Some people think the rams are going to use Akers/Henderson like the Browns use Chubb/Hunt. I would be shocked lol. I simply don't think Henderson is that talented at all. He's a grinder in a small frame, powerful but he does not break many tackles, and he does not have breakaway speed. IMO he's average at best. 

Where Henderson is being drafted I much prefer someone like Phillip Lindsay, who's only competition for touches comes from old DJ and old Mark Ingram. 

On 6/11/2021 at 5:53 PM, AxeElf said:

"Top 4-5 easy, but there's no way he gets the extra 5 points he would need to move into the top 3."

lol

Maybe I'll be a year late on the Akers train but I just don't see it. There's no chance I'd take him as my #1 rb until he actually does something. 

The hype has gotten out of control. I’m worried he’s a flash in the pan. Now maybe I’m wrong and he ends up being an RB1, but you’re hardly getting him on a deal. You have to draft him as an RB1 and then hope he actually lives up to that. Lots of risk for not a lot of reward, IMO 

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

The hype has gotten out of control. I’m worried he’s a flash in the pan. Now maybe I’m wrong and he ends up being an RB1, but you’re hardly getting him on a deal. You have to draft him as an RB1 and then hope he actually lives up to that. Lots of risk for not a lot of reward, IMO 

Yeah that's very well said...

7 hours ago, wolves111 said:

Maybe I'll be a year late on the Akers train but I just don't see it. There's no chance I'd take him as my #1 rb until he actually does something. 

I hope you din't mistake my comment as an endorsement of Akers; I was merely mocking the quoted poster's suggestion that Akers' ceiling was top 5--BUT, he could be in the top 3...

Which seems silly to me.  If they think Akers COULD be in the top 3, then they think top 3 is his ceiling, not top 5, and if they can imagine him being top 5, how hard is it to imagine him having 2 more TDs than that and being top 3?

I don't personally think Akers will be a credible RB1 (other than in 14-16 team leagues maybe)--as evidenced by my May comments in the thread.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:45 PM, AxeElf said:

That's a pretty lofty goal for a guy who had only 2 games with 75+ rushing yards and 3 total TDs in his only regular season to date.

On 5/18/2021 at 8:04 PM, AxeElf said:

Currently sitting at 2.05 on FFC for 12-team PPR drafts.

You'll be paying for a low-end RB1, whether or not you get one.

I think Akers last seven games which include two playoff games showed that he can produce as a low rb 1.  

And now a boost at Qb and M Brown is gone I still see him being worthy of a low rb1, but I’ll a high rb2 pick would be even better.  

As for Lindsay Vs Henderson debate.  

Based on body of work Lindsay he’s had two 1000 plus seasons and as a good avg per att.  

But I would rather take Henderson because he’s going to be a back up like Lindsay but on a much better team that should be a lot more productive.  

Even if Lindsay plays and a lot if DJ hurt it’s hard to see him being productive.  

Texans players are not on my dnd list, cause I don’t have one , but I’ll pass.  

6 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think Akers last seven games which include two playoff games showed that he can produce as a low rb 1.  

And now a boost at Qb and M Brown is gone I still see him being worthy of a low rb1, but I’ll a high rb2 pick would be even better.  

As for Lindsay Vs Henderson debate.  

Based on body of work Lindsay he’s had two 1000 plus seasons and as a good avg per att.  

But I would rather take Henderson because he’s going to be a back up like Lindsay but on a much better team that should be a lot more productive.  

Even if Lindsay plays and a lot if DJ hurt it’s hard to see him being productive.  

Texans players are not on my dnd list, cause I don’t have one , but I’ll pass.  

I don't like drafting backups unless they have stand-alone value such as Kareem Hunt. I'd rather swing and miss with someone that has the potential to be a starter without an injury to someone else.

I would love to be able to just draft back ups with stand  alone value, I just don’t play in any 8 team leagues.  

If one is in a 10 plus team league that’s at least 50 plus Rbs, that’s a lot of Rbs being drafted without stand  alone value.  

I think it’s great you would rather have Lindsay I hope a few feel the same in my 14 team league, like I said I’m not drafting any player from the Texans this season.  

So please don’t let it offend you when I say take Henderson over Lindsay, if an injury was to occur to Akers you have a rb5 or 6 that’s playing on a team that will help make him productive. If an injury doesn’t happen to Akers, and I hope it doesn’t , then you took a very late pick on Henderson and didn’t lose anything, unless you play in a 8 team league of course . 

Happy to help 😴

Thanks. 

24 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I would love to be able to just draft back ups with stand  alone value, I just don’t play in any 8 team leagues.  

If one is in a 10 plus team league that’s at least 50 plus Rbs, that’s a lot of Rbs being drafted without stand  alone value.  

I think it’s great you would rather have Lindsay I hope a few feel the same in my 14 team league, like I said I’m not drafting any player from the Texans this season.  

So please don’t let it offend you when I say take Henderson over Lindsay, if an injury was to occur to Akers you have a rb5 or 6 that’s playing on a team that will help make him productive. If an injury doesn’t happen to Akers, and I hope it doesn’t , then you took a very late pick on Henderson and didn’t lose anything, unless you play in a 8 team league of course . 

Happy to help 😴

Thanks. 

They’re both going around round 10-11 in the average 12 team mock.

The injury narrative is dumb, anyone can get injured. The player with standalone value will also see an increase in value if an injury occurs. 

Kareem Hunt has standalone value but his value sky rockets if Chubb gets hurt right? That’s why I try to avoid the injury narrative.