Cloaca du jour

Annie....I have questions..

So If Annie is a poor orphaned black girl,  and daddy warbucks is a big bald whitey..

Isn't this reinforcing stereotypes..

Why can't he at least have hair

In the last week I've seen commercials for "Black Annie" & a Hispanic "West Side Story"..........WTF? 🤬

just make your own art and live with it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

In the last week I've seen commercials for "Black Annie" & a Hispanic "West Side Story"..........WTF? 🤬

West Side Story was originally hispanic.  :dunno: 

West Side Story is a musical with a book by Arthur Laurents, music by Leonard Bernstein and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim. It was inspired by William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet.

The story is set in the mid 1950s in the Upper West Side of New York City, then a multiracial, blue-collar neighborhood. The musical explores the rivalry between the Jets and the Sharks, two teenage street gangs of different ethnic backgrounds. The members of the Sharks, from Puerto Rico, are taunted by the Jets, a white gang.[1] 

• Like 1

Amd ismt west side story just a modern version of Romeo and Juliet? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

White Jet guy, Hispanic Shark chick.

4 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

corrected

OK.....but the movie that made it huge wasn't THAT hispanic lol

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Amd ismt west side story just a modern version of Romeo and Juliet? 

100%

6 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

corrected

And Annie wasn't black, that's correct.

5 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Most of the hispanics in the original were whites painted brown

Rita Moreno?

Anyway, back to Annie, I agree that it is interesting that they have a rich white dood adopting the poor black orphan.

Also from the commercials, she doesn't seem to be that great of a singer.

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Rita Moreno?

I just watched the 60 minutes on it.

Hell...many of her roles she had to wear darkening make up..

I think it’s condescending to black people. I doubt very many black folk GAF. Most probably laugh at this. 

32 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Anyway, back to Annie, I agree that it is interesting that they have a rich white dood adopting the poor black orphan.

Also from the commercials, she doesn't seem to be that great of a singer.

Pretty sure singing wasn't the primary skill they were looking for during casting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I think it’s condescending to black people.

I've always thought that about Black History Month.  Might have made sense when blacks were integrating in the 50's/60's. But now? 

"We almost forgot that blacks derived from slaves, yet a black man invented peanut butter! Thanks for the reassurance. Now if they'd only name another road after Dr King, everything would be gibblets!"

5 hours ago, Big Guy said:

corrected

You mean Natalie Wood wasn't Really born Puerto Rican? 

....because she died a wet back. 

9 hours ago, Big Guy said:

Not so fast.....let them appropriate.....

Then, when the crying comes about others "appropriating" maybe we have yet another example of the hypocrisy.

These people are little more than toddlers, let them have at it

14 hours ago, Big Guy said:

corrected

Are you insane? Like, you clearly never watched the movie. It was about whites and Puerto Ricans fighting in NY, from the very first scene. It's one of my most favorite movies. It's like you saying Roots wasn't about black people. 

• Haha 1

Best movie ever!!! 

3 minutes ago, peenie said:

Are you insane? Like, you clearly never watched the movie. It was about whites and Puerto Ricans fighting in NY, from the very first scene. It's one of my most favorite movies. It's like you saying Roots wasn't about black people. 

I meant by comparison to the ad I saw......which was very hispanic

whatever though......before you know it they'll come out with an all black "Wizard of Oz" or some chit

1 minute ago, Big Guy said:

I meant by comparison to the ad I saw......which was very hispanic

whatever though......before you know it they'll come out with an all black "Wizard of Oz" or some chit

Man, it's the same amount of Hispanic as before. However, this time they decided to actually cast people that were Hispanic. 

I hope your joking...it's called The Wiz.

Just now, peenie said:

Man, it's the same amount of Hispanic as before. However, this time they decided to actually cast people that were Hispanic. 

I am......and was making a point

just tired of Hollywood ruining the classics through inclusiveness 

2 minutes ago, peenie said:

Don't know about the first part, but I remember the Wiz being my go to place for CDs in the 90s.  Can't remember any black people there. 

1 minute ago, Big Guy said:

I am......and was making a point

just tired of Hollywood ruining the classics through inclusiveness 

The Wiz was the bomb dot com. It doesn't ruin nor take away, it only adds. 

Just as West Side Story does not take away from Romeo and Juliet. 

• Haha 1

I know that whole part about not having any pupils really creeped me the hell out. Even her dog. That's just creepy.

2 hours ago, peenie said:

It's like you saying Roots wasn't about black people

now that you mentioned Roots.......do think it would a good idea to do a remake with an all white cast?

I don't

6 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

I assume the next version will be Trannie. :dunno:

annie the trannie!

as for black annie...sometimes the woketards don't think everything through. the remake should of had a rich black lesbian woman adopting a poor dumb whitey boy who's parents were evil white supremacists.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

now that you mentioned Roots.......do think it would a good idea to do a remake with an all white cast?

I don't

Absolutely! As long as they’re acting like slaves and according to the script, it shouldn’t matter their color. I mean, say a school in an all white area wants to do an August Wilson play (Fences) shouldn’t they be allowed? 

I think as long as they’re sticking to the script a person’s color shouldn’t bar them from acting. 

Othello was played by white actors wearing makeup until more recently. 

See: Hamilton and plays where men play women’s roles (Shakespeare or Kabuki)

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

Jaws is being remade with a blacktip shark from the gulf

actually they got the shark right the first time...great white (the villian)...but brody (the hero) needs to be replaced by a black social worker...not a cop. hooper also would be a black doctor. quint can be the same... racist old white guy that gets eaten.

You know what? You all really need to look at yourselves. Do you know how ridiculous you sound? You're like the Archie Bunker character. I can tell none of you have traveled outside of the United States. You seem so small minded and ignorant: Little closed minded fools.

I grew up in an all black neighborhood most of my life. What choice did we have but to play characters that were white? I often played a lady in waiting in the Royal English Court, I've been Mary the Virgin Mother of Jesus, I've been in multiple plays in my life and what role would I ever get the chance to play if being white was the most important characteristic? We borrow from each other. Trust and believe, the weight falls heavier on the side of whites playing real life people of color moreso than blacks playing white characters. Don't mess with me or I'm going to fill this thread with all of Hollywood's misrepresentations. Either we're going to accept that acting is a skill or it's a genetic trait. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, peenie said:

You know what? You all really need to look at yourselves. Do you know how ridiculous you sound? You're like the Archie Bunker character. I can tell none of you have traveled outside of the United States. You seem so small minded and ignorant: Little closed minded fools.

I grew up in an all black neighborhood most of my life. What choice did we have but to play characters that were white? I often played a lady in waiting in the Royal English Court, I've been Mary the Virgin Mother of Jesus, I've been in multiple plays in my life and what role would I ever get the chance to play if being white was the most important characteristic? We borrow from each other. Trust and believe, the weight falls heavier on the side of whites playing real life people of color moreso than blacks playing white characters. Don't mess with me or I'm going to fill this thread with all of Hollywood's misrepresentations. Either we're going to accept that acting is a skill or it's a genetic trait. 

I’ve lived overseas for many years, where have you been Carmen San Diego?