Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

Memphis Police Killing

26 minutes ago, peenie said:

I’m on my cell phone which doesn’t have the quotes option. I thought it was quite clear that I was posting a quote because of the font and terminology. I wasn’t trying to pass that off as originally stemming from my brain. 

I believe society, at least when I was growing up and previously, placed all people in a hierarchy and there are things that give you more value and less value:

white skin is valued over black skin

male is valued over female

highly educated more value than less educated

having wealth more value than poverty

tall over short

athletic build over fat 

European over non European

African heritage on the bottom 

Default negative traits are assigned to anyone that is black or visibly African (in ancestry) until it is proven that they have positive traits

Default positive traits assigned to whites or visibly European (in ancestry) until it is proven they have negative traits

There is a knowing that black is not valued by default in this country, it is pervasive. Killing or harming or disrespecting a black person does not have the same repercussions as a white person. Everyone, including other blacks treat blacks poorly. Blacks are racist against other blacks. Blacks hate each other and themselves. Unfortunately. 

Wow. What a thoughtful and excellent post. 

15 minutes ago, Strike said:

This would actually make a good thread in it's own right.  Forget the racist stuff.  That's completely uninteresting and something we discuss all the time in many contexts already.  But I'll absolutely admit I value certain things in people that in some ways does elevate them.  I'm not going to clutter up this thread with a tangent but it would be a good thread me thinks.

When you write “forget the racist stuff” you destroy any credibility you think you have on this subject. You’re in a huge state of denial about this. I honestly pity you. 

5 minutes ago, craftsman said:

First amendment? You can't just make up lies and always get away with it. Plenty of people and companies have been sued for slander and lost. 

Yes, people and private companies (like CNN) have been sued for defamation and lost but that is irrelevant to what I said.

A police department that is a public entity could not lock up people for claiming (even falsely) that they engage is systematic racism as that would be a government entity interfering with freedom of speech protected by the First Amendment. And they can't sue any individual for defamation (or if they did, it would not survive any legal challenge).

I was at a Mexican restaurant getting drinks at the bar (wait was 45 mins. for a table). There was a sloppy line but the Mexican bartender wouldn’t pick me even though I had been waiting and it was clearly my turn. She just kept picking around me even though I was directly in front of her with no one in front of me. Luckily, the white man that she chose who was behind me said, “It’s her turn.” 
I didn’t say hey I’m next because I would’ve looked like the angry black woman. 
When you are the recipient of preferential treatment, try your best to be fair. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peenie said:

I was at a Mexican restaurant getting drinks at the bar (wait was 45 mins. for a table). There was a sloppy line but the Mexican bartender wouldn’t pick me even though I had been waiting and it was clearly my turn. She just kept picking around me even though I was directly in front of her with no one in front of me. Luckily, the white man that she chose who was behind me said, “It’s her turn.” 

Clearly racism!!!!!  🤣

18 minutes ago, Strike said:

Clearly racism!!!!!  🤣

It’s those small little things that mean you as a person aren’t as important as the other person. It’s the hello that you don’t get but the white customer gets. It’s the lack of friendliness, it’s having to always wait for the white person to be served first or be more attended. You don’t notice it because it’s not happening to you. It’s having your conversation interrupted without an excuse me. It’s small little micro aggressions that are reminders that you are not valued equally. Just pay attention. The funny thing is you probably are very aware of being treated well but it just feels normal to you. I’ve been shocked at how wonderfully my white male coworkers are treated, especially if you’re big and tall. People say excuse me and let them go first and hold doors. Just open your eyes and see how others are treated in comparison to yourself. The huge injustices come when a white person resists arrest, the police don’t beat him to death, they just try harder to properly arrest him. They don’t let loose because white lives matter.

(Granted, things are so much better due to technology.)

6 minutes ago, squistion said:

More from Jason Whitlock:

The problem is not single mother households but rather father abandoned households. Ugh! I hate him.

2 minutes ago, peenie said:

It’s those small little things that mean you as a person aren’t as important as the other person. It’s the hello that you don’t get but the white customer gets. It’s the lack of friendliness, it’s having to always wait for the white person to be served first or be more attended. You don’t notice it because it’s not happening to you. It’s having your conversation interrupted without an excuse me. It’s small little micro aggressions that are reminders that you are not valued equally. Just pay attention. The funny thing is you probably are very aware of being treated well but it just feels normal to you. I’ve been shocked at how wonderfully my white male coworkers are treated, especially if you’re big and tall. People say excuse me and let them go first and hold doors. Just open your eyes and see how others are treated in comparison to yourself. The huge injustices come when a white person resists arrest, the police don’t beat him to death, they just try harder to properly arrest him. They don’t let loose because white lives matter.

First of all, you have no idea what my experience has been.  I guaranfockingtee you that if you ask your white coworkers if they've ever felt like they were treated as 2nd class citizens they'd have plenty of stories to tell you.  We have ALL had those experiences.  But since you go through life looking for racism, every perceived slight you experience is automatically racism. 

Secondly, you seem to forget that I'M NOT WHITE.  But to racists like you Asians are whitey.   God, you're so racist and don't even know it.

Why has the "systemically racist" system been filled soup-to-nuts with people of various ethnicities who have goodwill on issues of race to include affirmative supporters, but not any shred of racism has been found?  You'd think that after sixty years of effort across generations, all of these dedicated people would have actually found something systemically racist to eradicate.

34 minutes ago, peenie said:

It's happens to white people too. Jeez. 

Why do black people feel they are so special in current day America?

I give the Memphis PD a lot of credit for pretty much immediately abandoning these animals and charging them with murder. I’m also happy there weren’t any violent protests over this.

I watched the videos. The police chief says there’s no evidence the victim was driving erratically. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, but they’d get something on camera. 

Normally I’d say “don’t run away and you won’t get hurt.” But these cops immediately had guns drawn and tased the victim while he was on the ground trying to comply so I can’t blame him for panicking. He had no record so fear for his physical safety was the only reason to run.

This thread went about as expected. Only The Worst Geek is outright defending the beating but a handful of others are doing the expected whataboutism. 

My 2 cents.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, peenie said:

They were playing the percentages and assumed you weren’t going to tip them?

5 minutes ago, craftsman said:

It's happens to white people too. Jeez. 

Why do black people feel they are so special in current day America?

My uncle, former police officer, says this exact thing. He believes people are just as holes. He says the fantasy is that blacks are getting some sort of special mistreatment. 
But they are…you just can’t believe it unless you see it yourself. Our words aren’t enough. 

10 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’m also happy there weren’t any violent protests over this.

I'm shocked, but also glad.

I can't understand the mindset of these protestors. 95% of the time, what they get bent out of shape over is some completely justified incident. But this Memphis situation ... this is FINALLY a legitimate grievance. It's everything they complain about with a bow on top with protestors actually have rare instance with a legitimate reason to be pissed.

I hope this is a sign of things to come, that the movement becomes more civil and mature.

Here are a few recent, particularly egregious examples of what I mean when I say BLM protestors are in desperate need of being told to fock off:

5 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I can't understand the mindset of these protestors. 95% of the time, what they get bent out of shape over is some completely justified incident. But this Memphis situation ... this is FINALLY a legitimate grievance. It's everything they complain about with a bow on top with protestors actually have rare instance with a legitimate reason to be pissed.

I hope this is a sign of things to come, that the movement becomes more civil and mature.

Here are a few recent, particularly egregious examples of what I mean when I say BLM protestors are in desperate need of being told to fock off:

I just think there are some bad guys who are cops. Just like there are in every profession. I don't think there are more cops that are bad guys percentage wise than in other professions. 

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

This example is so egregious that the PD didn’t wait to throw all five cops under the bus. So now they have common ground with the protestors. I hope this leads to more agreement in the future. 

I infer these men will face murder 1, so is the death penalty on the table?

14 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I infer these men will face murder 1, so is the death penalty on the table?

I don’t think they get 1st degree.  I don’t think they intended to kill him, and I don’t think the punches and kick are gonna meet the violent felony necessity to get 1st.  We haven’t even gotten legit autopsy results, have we?  

2 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Why has the "systemically racist" system been filled soup-to-nuts with people of various ethnicities who have goodwill on issues of race to include affirmative supporters, but not any shred of racism has been found?  You'd think that after sixty years of effort across generations, all of these dedicated people would have actually found something systemically racist to eradicate.

Today, the number one problem in the country is the government. They divide us into groups, assign us names and give one group advantages over the other groups. This is the root cause of resentment of others in this country.

Excuse me, he was 6’3” 150 lbs 

9 hours ago, dogcows said:

The real racism? Brian Kemp mobilizing the Georgia national guard because he heard black people would be protesting. No violence happened at all and the NG didn’t even have to come near the protests.

Funny, the recent climate change protests that DID get violent in Georgia involved mostly white people. Kemp didn’t get the NG out to defend against them. Reminds me of a violent riot 2 years ago in DC that involved mostly white people where they also didn’t activate the National Guard ahead of time. 🤔

Kemp heard from who?

How did he know they were going to be only black people protesting?  The protests I have seen have been at least half white and others. Quite a mix of people.

9 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Do you also hate whites in Asians?

I don’t hate anyone.
I have to make efforts to not let only what the media says is beautiful or to only find value in what society says is worthy. 

4 hours ago, Strike said:

Two simple questions Peenie.  Do you consider yourself racist against other blacks?  Do you hate them and yourself? 

4 hours ago, peenie said:

Yes. I think it is programmed in me. 

Fascinating, thanks for admitting this.  :cheers: 

Do you feel that that programming came from personal experience primarily, or external messaging/sources primarily?  

3 hours ago, peenie said:

Sorry that happened. The Mexicans I work with racism toward blacks is pretty much out in the open. They drop N bombs all the time.

Do you know how many times I've felt passed over at the bar?   I've been pulled over by the cops at gun point for no reason, I 100% complied,  like my father taught me and they eventually figured it all out.  It's not always about race people.  When you are constantly looking for it, you will find it though.  

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

I don’t think they get 1st degree.  I don’t think they intended to kill him, and I don’t think the punches and kick are gonna meet the violent felony necessity to get 1st.  We haven’t even gotten legit autopsy results, have we?  

<_< I hope they can get them for murder 1, but you are likely correct...

Looks to me that they thought this poor guy was someone else. 

Last post on racism: 

Notice that Indians (dot) and Asians aren't being killed by police......they are also so-called "Persons of Color" in America.

Take a second and reflect, deep down, why is that?  Why. Is. That. 

5 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Notice that Indians (dot) and Asians aren't being killed by police......they are also so-called "Persons of Color" in America.

True…

Why is it a death sentence if you flee from the police?  I’ve watched COPS and somehow people running away seem to be apprehended without beatings. I just think there is a lot of lack of self love and a lack of love for one another in and for the black community. 

20 minutes ago, peenie said:

Last post on racism: 

That white chick makes a good point at the beginning..

2 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I would guess that many identified as Native Americans are on tribal property so are not killed by police in those jurisdictions. 
Asians may not be viewed as a threat from the get-go, so they don't get into the same situation as blacks do. 

5 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

The police departments we have today are directly descended from slave patrols. The point of which was specifically to target black people… not Asians or Indians/Pakistanis. The only race ever to be considered property solely based on their race: black people. That history might give you an insight into this. Sure, there is a certain level of racism against Asians and south Asians and South Americans. But it’s quite different than the racism against black people.

Just now, craftsman said:

That white chick makes a good point at the beginning..

Yeah, she almost made it home but the word Black came out extra angry and disgusted. 

1 hour ago, peenie said:

True…

Why is it a death sentence if you flee from the police?  I’ve watched COPS and somehow people running away seem to be apprehended without beatings. I just think there is a lot of lack of self love and a lack of love for one another in and for the black community. 

It's not.  Statistically, the likelihood of serious injury or worse from an encounter with the police is almost nil.  The anecdotal exceptions such as a George Floyd are simply that, anecdotal exceptions.  Just like every time you feel slighted because you weren't the first person served at the bar/restaurant automatically translates to "racism against all black people", you translate every anecdotal exception to the statistics with regard to encounters with police to "all black people die when they run from police."  And that's just not true.