Black Flag

Minor Threat

Public Enemy

7 Seconds

… and many, many more. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Wtf , you can’t call a C level 60s band 80s , not on my watch

Your watch is broken, they were also big in the 80's.

plus that's when I "discovered" them, catching up on all their past albums and seeing them live 5 times

They released 4 New Albums during the 80's, 9 singles, at least 3 Big Hits & videos

2 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

The way back machine visits 1985 for this gem. I saw X at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano, CA. 

I saw X on the "More Fun in the New World" tour.

Sidenote:

I interviewed Exene Cervenka in the mid-1990s after her spoken-word performance at a small university in a small town north of Austin.

I was editor of the newspaper there and had written an advance about her performance. I ran it on the back page of the A section, which was about all I could get away with because I'm pretty sure 99.9 percent of our readers wouldn't know who the fock she was.

There was a post-performance meet-and-greet at a nearby coffee shop, and I was walking behind her and Biscuit, the former front man for the Big Boys, and they had a copy of the newspaper with the advance. They were mocking the story placement and that the front-page centerpiece was of the grand-champion steer at an FFA competition.

For the town, this was a way bigger deal than Exene Cervenka, and it irritated me that they were making fun of it.

So I thought about a question to ask her, something I suspected would make her angry.

She was pretty accessible at the meet-and-greet, so I sat with her on a couch and asked one question:

"Do you think X got the credit it deserved for its influence on Grunge music?"

And she went ... the ... fock ... off, angrily talking about record companies, radio and all sorts of things.

Mission accomplished.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Big Guy said:

Your watch is broken, they were also big in the 80's.

plus that's when I "discovered" them, catching up on all their past albums and seeing them live 5 times

They released 4 New Albums during the 80's, 9 singles, at least 3 Big Hits & videos

Wildest Dreams is a great song and one of the best in the 80's, don't remember much else from them in the 80's but that is me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, posty said:

Def Leppard

I never got the whole Def Leppard thing. 

• Like 1

GOOD  GRIEF !  I looked at these posts and now I see why I switched over to Country during the 80s.  This sh!t sucked.

Btw, the Moodies Wildest Dreams was great BUT they were a 60s & 70s band.  With one hit in the 80s.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I never got the whole Def Leppard thing. 

Panty dropper band for sure...  Both the girls and mine...

8 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

GOOD  GRIEF !  I looked at these posts and now I see why I switched over to Country during the 80s.  This sh!t sucked.

Btw, the Moodies Wildest Dreams was great BUT they were a 60s & 70s band.  With one hit in the 80s.

After what is now called classic rock pretty much died when John Bonham choked to death on his own vomit and AC/DC didn't produce a proper follow up to "Back in Black," I took a hard right into punk rock and away from all that electronic gayties music. The likes of Replacements, Husker Du and Soul Asylum nicely filled the mid-1980s and Guns 'n' Roses and Jane's Addiction bridged the gap until the Grunge explosion.

I did like The Cure and The Smiths, though. They put out some great albums.

15 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

That was what my post was saying.

3 minutes ago, posty said:

Panty dropper band for sure...  Both the girls and mine...

I made the huge mistake of joining a girl on stage to do karaoke of "Pour Some Sugar On Me," and I didn't realize until it was too late that trying to sight-read the lyrics I didn't know was a terrible idea.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I saw X on the "More Fun in the New World" tour.

Sidenote:

I interviewed Exene Cervenka in the mid-1990s after her spoken-word performance at a small university in a small town north of Austin.

I was editor of the newspaper there and had written an advance about her performance. I ran it on the back page of the A section, which was about all I could get away with because I'm pretty sure 99.9 percent of our readers wouldn't know who the fock she was.

There was a post-performance meet-and-greet at a nearby coffee shop, and I was walking behind her and Biscuit, the former front man for the Big Boys, and they had a copy of the newspaper with the advance. They were mocking the story placement and that the front-page centerpiece was of the grand-champion steer at an FFA competition.

For the town, this was a way bigger deal than Exene Cervenka, and it irritated me that they were making fun of it.

So I thought about a question to ask her, something I suspected would make her angry.

She was pretty accessible at the meet-and-greet, so I sat with her on a couch and asked one question:

"Do you think X got the credit it deserved for its influence on Grunge music?"

And she went ... the ... fock ... off, angrily talking about record companies, radio and all sorts of things.

Mission accomplished.

they probably smashed you in the head with several beer bottles.  it would explained how deranged you are.

23 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

After what is now called classic rock pretty much died when John Bonham choked to death on his own vomit and AC/DC didn't produce a proper follow up to "Back in Black," I took a hard right into punk rock and away from all that electronic gayties music. The likes of Replacements, Husker Du and Soul Asylum nicely filled the mid-1980s and Guns 'n' Roses and Jane's Addiction bridged the gap until the Grunge explosion.

this makes sense.  you are an angry, wretched, hateful person on this forum.  someone like you would loathe energetic fun 80s music and sit in the corner brooding over punk rock until grunge came along.  probably got beat up a lot too.

2 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

they probably smashed you in the head with several beer bottles.  it would explained how deranged you are.

For someone who repeatedly claims he ignores my posts, you're actually at Stalker Level 9 when it comes to following me around like a puppy dog and making lame, unfunny remarks.

🤣

1 minute ago, Pimpadeaux said:

For someone who repeatedly claims he ignores my posts, you're actually at Stalker Level 9 when it comes to following me around like a puppy dog and making lame, unfunny remarks.

🤣

wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah  weenie!  haaha

10 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

this makes sense.  you are an angry, wretched, hateful person on this forum.  someone like you would loathe energetic fun 80s music and sit in the corner brooding over punk rock until grunge came along.  probably got beat up a lot too.

While you were dressed in black leather like Vito from "The Sopranos" and grinding on the back of some dude with Wham! blasting at the dance club, I was in the slam pit for bands such as the Dead Kennedys and Ramones.

Justinbug

(Finger snaps)

Justinbug

(Finger snaps)

Justinbug

(Finger snaps)

Justinbug

(Finger snaps)

He put the boom-boom into your heart (ooh-ooh)
He'll send your soul sky-high
When his lovin' starts
Justinbug into your butt(yeah-yeah)
Goes a bang-bang-bang
Cuz he's a leather-clad slut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A

35 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I never got the whole punk and grunge thing.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bert said:

For me it started with a showing of "The Decline of Western Civilization" at the campus theater. It's a film about the Los Angeles punk scene around that time. It's a collection of live-music snippets and interviews, and I loved the rebellious fock-you spirit, the anti-authority, the outrageous humor and raucous music that was kind of anti-music. 

A buddy and I went to go see The Dead Kennedys at some club near downtown Houston. The Butth0le Surfers opened for them. 

Just standing in the line to get in was total culture shock. This punk couple decided they'd had enough waiting and started to leave. The woman had half her head shaved and several nose piercings, but she had a killer body and was pretty hot to me. Someone said, "Hey, where are y'all going?" And the girl responded, "We're going to go home and fock all night!"

I'd never before heard a girl say such a thing.

A Houston Police Department squad car passed by, and people in line responded by throwing a bunch of beer cans and trash at the car, which sped up and disappeared.

The Dead Kennedys show was total mayhem. Punks were climbing on top of speaker stacks and hurling themselves into the slam pit. I spent a little time in the pit, but it was pretty violent in there. People were being carted off, and almost everyone who emerged from the pit had blood on them.

After that, the only show I saw that had a similar level of violence was Lords of the New Church. I got poked in the eye at that one.

The rest of my pit experiences were more like pickup basketball games, with no one getting hurt.

Last year, I took my wife to an Amyl and the Sniffers show in Austin. We stood on the edge of the pit and passed the leader singer around when she crowd surfed. My wife even bumped and shoved people who came close to her. It was a blast.

Punk is so much about attitude, individuality, acceptance, anti-everything and hilarity. Most of those old punk bands didn't even know how to play their instruments when they formed. It was all about noise and attitude.

As for Grunge, I focking loved Grunge. Such a great mixture of punk, metal and classic rock. 

4 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

The way back machine visits 1985 for this gem. I saw X at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano, CA. 

Fourth Of July is such a great song. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

I saw them in Philly back in 2005 or 6. Rollins Band opened. Awesome show.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MDC said:

I saw them in Philly back in 2005 or 6. Rollins Band opened. Awesome show.

When I saw them around 1983, Exene spent most of the show just standing on stage and staring at a spotlight. 

1 hour ago, Pimpadeaux said:

For me it started with a showing of "The Decline of Western Civilization" at the campus theater. It's a film about the Los Angeles punk scene around that time. It's a collection of live-music snippets and interviews, and I loved the rebellious fock-you spirit, the anti-authority, the outrageous humor and raucous music that was kind of anti-music. 

A buddy and I went to go see The Dead Kennedys at some club near downtown Houston. The Butth0le Surfers opened for them. 

Just standing in the line to get in was total culture shock. This punk couple decided they'd had enough waiting and started to leave. The woman had half her head shaved and several nose piercings, but she had a killer body and was pretty hot to me. Someone said, "Hey, where are y'all going?" And the girl responded, "We're going to go home and fock all night!"

I'd never before heard a girl say such a thing.

A Houston Police Department squad car passed by, and people in line responded by throwing a bunch of beer cans and trash at the car, which sped up and disappeared.

The Dead Kennedys show was total mayhem. Punks were climbing on top of speaker stacks and hurling themselves into the slam pit. I spent a little time in the pit, but it was pretty violent in there. People were being carted off, and almost everyone who emerged from the pit had blood on them.

After that, the only show I saw that had a similar level of violence was Lords of the New Church. I got poked in the eye at that one.

The rest of my pit experiences were more like pickup basketball games, with no one getting hurt.

Last year, I took my wife to an Amyl and the Sniffers show in Austin. We stood on the edge of the pit and passed the leader singer around when she crowd surfed. My wife even bumped and shoved people who came close to her. It was a blast.

Punk is so much about attitude, individuality, acceptance, anti-everything and hilarity. Most of those old punk bands didn't even know how to play their instruments when they formed. It was all about noise and attitude.

As for Grunge, I focking loved Grunge. Such a great mixture of punk, metal and classic rock. 

Interesting.  I preferred Metallica in the early 80's.  

11 minutes ago, Bert said:

Interesting.  I preferred Metallica in the early 80's.  

I didn't listen to them until after "Justice For All."

I saw the "One" video and was like, "Holy hell, these guys are awesome!"

4 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I didn't listen to them until after "Justice For All."

I saw the "One" video and was like, "Holy hell, these guys are awesome!"

Kill'em All, Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets are still my 3 favorite albums.  Kill'em All simply blew me away the first time I listened to it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bert said:

Kill'em All, Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets are still my 3 favorite albums.  Kill'em All simply blew me away the first time I listened to it.  

Those three albums were never topped by Metallica. It was downhill from there. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TommyGavin said:

Those three albums were never topped by Metallica. It was downhill from there. 

I wouldn't say downhill but those 3 albums were special.  I liked that Hardwired attempted to get back to those albums. 

2 hours ago, Bert said:

I wouldn't say downhill but those 3 albums were special.  I liked that Hardwired attempted to get back to those albums. 

Attempted agreed 

4 hours ago, Bert said:

"Death Magnetic" is my favorite Metallica album. "All Nightmare Long" could have been the soundtrack for the hellish night and aftermath of Hurricane Ike down there in Buttmont. I love that album.

But I also love St. Anger, so what do I know?

6 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

But I also love St. Anger, so what do I know?

Ha. Not much. LOL

19 hours ago, Bert said:

nor did I

The 80's were greatly a pile of chit between.......

Hair Bands ( Poison, Mottley Crue, Cinderella, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Twisted Sister, Bon Jovi, Dokken, Warrant, etc. )

Pop/Dance ( Micheal & Janet Jackson, Madonna, Boy Bands, Whitney Houston, Lionel Ritchie, Prince, Donna Summer, etc. )

Synth-Pop / Eurodance ( ABC, Wham, Culture Club, Human League, Petshop Boys, Haircut 100, Kajagoogoo lol etc. )

RAP / HIP HOP became popular ( thanks for nothing Areosmith )

Good music could barely survive.... I'm glad there was still some good stuff making the Radio & MTV / VH1