Sign in to follow this  
GobbleDog

2023 Bold Predictions

2 hours ago, Mufaletta said:

3. Raiders are 1-10 before figuring out they don't have an NFL QB on their roster.    They throw major cash at Tom Brady to unretire and finish the season as their starter. 

This one doesn't belong in the bold predictions thread.  A bold prediction should at least have some level of plausibility.  There is no way Brady would come back to play out the string for a 1-10 team.  Now, if Mahomes got knocked out for the season and the entire AFC West was sitting at 6-5 the Raiders might have a slim chance of coaxing the GOAT out of retirement for a run at the playoffs if their 5 losses were clearly due to a QB deficiency and their 6 wins were only because the rest of the team was playing at a championship level.

18 hours ago, Showboat said:

This one doesn't belong in the bold predictions thread.  A bold prediction should at least have some level of plausibility.  There is no way Brady would come back to play out the string for a 1-10 team.  Now, if Mahomes got knocked out for the season and the entire AFC West was sitting at 6-5 the Raiders might have a slim chance of coaxing the GOAT out of retirement for a run at the playoffs if their 5 losses were clearly due to a QB deficiency and their 6 wins were only because the rest of the team was playing at a championship level.

Feel free to have a mod move it to the Extra Bold and Spicy prediction thread then.   

• Haha 1

juwan johnson doubles his scoring and receiving from last year with Carr as his qb.  1k yards+ and 14tds. He had 500 yards as 7 last year and LITERALLY DID NOT KNOW HOW TO PLAY THE POSITION.  This is what he had to say about learning how to play TE after being a WR. Imagine him being with a QB that peppers the TE AND knowing how to play the position from going to TEU

"I think going into the tight end position, just to start, I didn't know too much about it," Johnson said. "When I first started, I didn't what a technique was. I didn't know a nine-tech, an eight – I didn't know any of that. I just went into it and was blocking bodies.

"It was pretty tough for me to start off, because I would go into it and people would be like, 'Just block the seven-tech.' I was like, I don't know if that's right, left, if he's inside. I had no idea. That was just more of a self-evaluation, more self-study for me in just investing in what I need to know.

"Tight End U taught me a lot because I was around tight ends that I haven't been around before. I think, personally for me, I haven't learned a lot from guys before other than (former Saint and current Denver Bronco tight end) Adam Trautman, who's helped me out tremendously in my development. But I think other than him, I haven't learned a whole lot from players in terms of, 'Yeah, you should do this,' and, 'This is how we do things, this is how you set.' So for me, it was really good for me to go there and learn a lot."

Chris godwin scores 10 tds from the slot with Baker Mayfield targeting him relentlessly.  

Ridley rides the wave of Lawrence becoming a top 10qb and leads the lead in touchdowns. 

On 8/30/2023 at 8:12 PM, JagFan said:

I’m going to give a college football bold prediction:

Coach Nickname takes Colorado to the CFB playoffs in his first season.  Shedeur wins the Heisman.  And boldest of all…neither Coach Nickname, or Shedeur talks in first person during their Heisman acceptance speeches.

And so it begins

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JagFan said:

And so it begins

Lol nice call. 

42 minutes ago, JagFan said:

And so it begins

Coach Prime keeps receipts…

Mahomes joins Bart Starr and Terry Bradshaw as the only players to win back to back Super Bowl MVP.  He joins the list of Jim Brown, Joe Montana, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers as the only players to win back to back regular season MVP.  And in doing both, becomes the only player ever to do both in consecutive years.

Chubb ends up top RB in all formats and consensus no. 1 fantast pick in 2024.

Garrett Wilson has a monster season and will be a top 3 receiver picked next year.

• Thanks 1

So let’s give it another shot!

if Bosa signs, then, SF will be the top defense.

TUA goes off and is the top scoring quarterback with over 5000 yards and 40+ touchdowns. MIA WINS SB over SF.

Chase is the number one wide receiver.

M Thomas is comeback player of the year with 1,300yds &12tds.

I also said MOSTERT could be a top 10 running back!

Removed chub with that devastating injury. He’s not doing anything this year.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Just posted @The Football Guru's Bold Prediction article for 2023. Hope you drafted a lot of Herbert and Ridley.

I like a lot of those.   I can't stand the way the lions used their rbs last year enough to not want any of their backs this year though. 

On 8/22/2023 at 1:26 PM, GobbleDog said:

Raiders & Bucs finish with a combined total of 7 wins. Ya don’t sign Garoppolo and Mayfield unless you’re serious about full tank mode.

Sadly, I think the Bucs felt that Mayfield was a good fit for their offense and believe they can win 11+ games. 😥

I think they have a fairly average team.  If Mayfield is as sucky as I think he is, I think you're in the ball park in that they'll win like 4 games or so.  However, I don't think that Mayfield is the starter all year if the team starts out losing 4 or 5 of their first 6 games.  The back half of their schedule isn't that hard.  Their last 9 games include very winnable games against Tennessee, Indy, Carolina (2x), Atlanta, & Green Bay.  Other games that I think that are close are Jacksonville and New Orleans.  If Trask doesn't suck as bad as I think he is, they still could end up with 7 or 8 wins.

Pittsburgh wins AFC North with Pickett, Pickens, and Harris all being top 10 at their position in fantasy.

Chicago wins the NFC North and the whole division makes the playoffs.

Eagles, Dallas, and Niners are the only teams in their divisions with .500 record.

No one in the NFC South finishes with a .500 record, again.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Pittsburgh wins AFC North with Pickett, Pickens, and Harris all being top 10 at their position in fantasy.

Chicago wins the NFC North and the whole division makes the playoffs.

Eagles, Dallas, and Niners are the only teams in their divisions with .500 record.

No one in the NFC South finishes with a .500 record, again.

Yall mortgaged the future for a super bowl.  You got it so congrats but now you're stuck in suckdom for awhile like the royals have been

28 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Yall mortgaged the future for a super bowl.  You got it so congrats but now you're stuck in suckdom for awhile like the royals have been

That's not exactly what happened.  They had a good team, with a horrible QB (Winston), before they got Brady.  The did go 7-9 the year before with a QB who had 30 Int's.  There have been 28 teams who threw 30 or more INT's in a season and only 3 were better than 1 game under .500 and all 3 were before the Super Bowl era.  The thing is, had they not gotten Brady, they probably take Jordan Love at #15 in the 2020 draft.  Obviously, they don't win the Super Bowl that year, but they would be in a lot better shape than they are right now... with virtually the same team, possibly a little better off and a playoff contender.

Unlike baseball, in the NFL, you can turn things around.  As I said above, I really do believe that for some unknown reason, the Bucs personnel people think Mayfield could be good in this system with this team.  This team still has excellent WR's, two young TE's who are playing quite well, a RB that looks like he could be solid, and another WR in Palmer who looks like he can be a legit player in this league.  The offense has weapons.  Wirfs looks to be a stud LT in the making and if they've done their job with personnel on the OLine, this offense will be as good as the QB makes them.

The DLine is "good", the LB's are "good", the secondary is "good".  No level is elite or great, but they're solid.  I think Baker Mayfield blows chunks, and because of that, this team will lose as long as he's under center.  I also think that Trask, while an upgrade over Mayfield, still isn't very good and the team will likely fall in the 6 to 8 win range pending on how long they force us to suffer with Mayfield.  That said, if I'm wrong, and I highly doubt I am... and management is correct about Mayfield, they actually could win double digit games this year.  This I'd absolutely bet against.

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That's not exactly what happened.  They had a good team, with a horrible QB (Winston), before they got Brady.  The did go 7-9 the year before with a QB who had 30 Int's.  There have been 28 teams who threw 30 or more INT's in a season and only 3 were better than 1 game under .500 and all 3 were before the Super Bowl era.  The thing is, had they not gotten Brady, they probably take Jordan Love at #15 in the 2020 draft.  Obviously, they don't win the Super Bowl that year, but they would be in a lot better shape than they are right now... with virtually the same team, possibly a little better off and a playoff contender.

Unlike baseball, in the NFL, you can turn things around.  As I said above, I really do believe that for some unknown reason, the Bucs personnel people think Mayfield could be good in this system with this team.  This team still has excellent WR's, two young TE's who are playing quite well, a RB that looks like he could be solid, and another WR in Palmer who looks like he can be a legit player in this league.  The offense has weapons.  Wirfs looks to be a stud LT in the making and if they've done their job with personnel on the OLine, this offense will be as good as the QB makes them.

The DLine is "good", the LB's are "good", the secondary is "good".  No level is elite or great, but they're solid.  I think Baker Mayfield blows chunks, and because of that, this team will lose as long as he's under center.  I also think that Trask, while an upgrade over Mayfield, still isn't very good and the team will likely fall in the 6 to 8 win range pending on how long they force us to suffer with Mayfield.  That said, if I'm wrong, and I highly doubt I am... and management is correct about Mayfield, they actually could win double digit games this year.  This I'd absolutely bet against.

Thanks for your insight.   an honest opinion from a Tampa Homer.

I dont disagree with the analysis.  though I think baker is slightly better than you are saying.   I think he plays just well enough to not get pulled in favour of Trask but not well enough to get them to the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

Thanks for your insight.   an honest opinion from a Tampa Homer.

I dont disagree with the analysis.  though I think baker is slightly better than you are saying.   I think he plays just well enough to not get pulled in favour of Trask but not well enough to get them to the playoffs.

If he's good enough to not be pulled, then they're probably win about 7 or 8 games.  That's my guess.

24 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

If he's good enough to not be pulled, then they're probably win about 7 or 8 games.  That's my guess.

sounds about right to me.

but if the health of the line and various other players ends up being terrible like last year, it could get a whole lot worse real fast.

the reason I think he does well enough to not get pulled is the WR on that team are good enough to cover up some of the flaws in his game.

On 8/22/2023 at 10:26 AM, GobbleDog said:

It’s that time of year so let’s hear some bold predictions before everyone drafts and boldly predicts all their players will be superstars. A little reasoning would be nice, but hey whatever ya got.

Raiders & Bucs finish with a combined total of 7 wins. Ya don’t sign Garoppolo and Mayfield unless you’re serious about full tank mode.

Nico Collins (Wr 53) finishes top 25. Cooks left town and 3rd year Collins steps up with a massively upgraded team.

Two wins already, who saw that coming!?

59 minutes ago, justforbeer said:

Two wins already, who saw that coming!?

Raiders win didn't surprise me as much... Denver has new coach, new system, and issues on both sides of the ball. 

Bucs winning was surprising because I didn't think they could keep up with Vikings offense. Cousins 3 turnovers made sure they did.

But my prediction stands!

On 8/23/2023 at 1:06 PM, Chickie said:

The Jets will disappoint again, notwithstanding AR. The *curse of Joe Willie* lives on.

Like to take credit for something that was actually quite predictable. Not a lot of rocket science and brain surgery involved in this call. The *Curse of Joe Willie* continues unabated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Puka wins ROY

Tua wins league MVP

Miami wins the Superbowl

Patriots finish last in divison

Jonathan Taylor wins rushing title despite missing 4 games.

There you have it!

On 9/5/2023 at 12:03 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

Sadly, I think the Bucs felt that Mayfield was a good fit for their offense and believe they can win 11+ games. 😥

I think they have a fairly average team.  If Mayfield is as sucky as I think he is, I think you're in the ball park in that they'll win like 4 games or so.  However, I don't think that Mayfield is the starter all year if the team starts out losing 4 or 5 of their first 6 games.  The back half of their schedule isn't that hard.  Their last 9 games include very winnable games against Tennessee, Indy, Carolina (2x), Atlanta, & Green Bay.  Other games that I think that are close are Jacksonville and New Orleans.  If Trask doesn't suck as bad as I think he is, they still could end up with 7 or 8 wins.

Any thoughts on Otton as a streaming option this week?  Under the radar perhaps based on how they have started?

On 9/19/2023 at 2:08 PM, Chickie said:

Like to take credit for something that was actually quite predictable. Not a lot of rocket science and brain surgery involved in this call. The *Curse of Joe Willie* continues unabated.

This wasn’t bold at all, and didn’t belong in this topic.  But yes, by all means, take credit Captain Obvious!

On 8/31/2023 at 9:59 PM, Showboat said:

On 9/2/2023 at 5:44 PM, cmh6476 said:

Mahomes joins Bart Starr and Terry Bradshaw as the only players to win back to back Super Bowl MVP.  He joins the list of Jim Brown, Joe Montana, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers as the only players to win back to back regular season MVP.  And in doing both, becomes the only player ever to do both in consecutive years.

Chubb ends up top RB in all formats and consensus no. 1 fantast pick in 2024.

Garrett Wilson has a monster season and will be a top 3 receiver picked next year.

well, at least one of these still has a shot

34 minutes ago, Mufaletta said:

well, at least one of these still has a shot

Oof

How are your predictions looking?

Raiders & Bucs finish with a combined total of 7 wins. Ya don’t sign Garoppolo and Mayfield unless you’re serious about full tank mode. - I still say Raiders suck, but Mayfield has impressed. This prediction was trash. :cry:

Nico Collins (Wr 53) finishes top 25. Cooks left town and 3rd year Collins steps up with a massively upgraded team.  Currently ranked 11th :banana:

Justin Herbert will break Manning’s single season passing record of 5,477 yds. After playing with broken ribs, bruised sternum and torn labrum (still passing 4,700+) Herbert is finally healthy. The old dink and dunk OC is gone replaced by high-flying Kellen Moore. On pace for 4,532... Still think he gets 5,000+ and the prediction isn't officially dead. I believe!  B)

George Pickens scores more fantasy points than Dionte Johnson. Though both unreliable due to pathetic Qb. Diontae just isn’t a #1 Wr.  Would've nailed this even without Johnson's injury. Too easy. :banana:

Sam Howell (Qb 29) finishes top 15. Josh-Allen-Lite is flying under everyone’s radar, but won’t be after this year.  Currently ranked 12th. Suck it!  :banana:

Miami Dolphins replicate ’72 Dolphins by going undefeated. 2023 is forever known as Year of the Fish. Undefeated was a stretch, but it's definitely been the Year of the FISH! I'll take it!  :banana:

4-1 with 1 pending. I done good.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 6:39 PM, BufordT said:

This board will be responsible for at least one gem ww pick up this year.  

☹️

On 9/5/2023 at 5:39 PM, Ray_T said:

sounds about right to me.

but if the health of the line and various other players ends up being terrible like last year, it could get a whole lot worse real fast.

the reason I think he does well enough to not get pulled is the WR on that team are good enough to cover up some of the flaws in his game.

W/L wise, the season played out almost exactly how I expected.  Minnesota was the only game wrong.  I did expect them to split with Atlanta and New Orleans, but I figured the home teams would win, not the road.

Had they lost the road games and won the home games like I expected, they'd have started the season 2-4 after the Atlanta game and I think losing at Buffalo and going 2-5 would've sealed the deal on Mayfield.  Even if not, losing at Houston the following week and going 2-6 would have.  But, winning that game where Minnesota shot themselves in the foot and the Saints crapping the bed at home, saved his season.  In the end though, they're an 8/9-win team.  It's what I'd expect from a team that has 11-win talent being lead by a QB with 6-win talent.