Sign in to follow this  
Gepetto

New office employee rants about working 9 to 5

Wood.  She has big pretty eyes, plus she is an emotional wreck so probably easy to get into the sack.  :thumbsup: 

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Wood.  She has big pretty eyes, plus she is an emotional wreck so probably easy to get into the sack.  :thumbsup: 

She doesn't have time for sex. She doesn't have time to cook or workout. She only has time to commute, work, commute, eat, and sleep. And she's on her period. Maybe things will get better and she will have more time.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

She doesn't have time for sex. She doesn't have time to cook or workout. She only has time to commute, work, commute, eat, and sleep. And she's on her period. Maybe things will get better and she will have more time.

She is beginning to realize that she needs an alpha male to take care of her.  For such a guy she would do anything.  And I mean anything.  :thumbsup: 

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

She is beginning to realize that she needs an alpha male to take care of her.  For such a guy she would do anything.  And I mean anything.  :thumbsup: 

Good thing I'm here then.

6 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Better off jerking off than having to endur 10 minutes of that drama.  

I took was looking forward to the responses.  I'm close to bingo

- she's a liberal

- she would be easy to fock

- she needs an alpha male like me to take care of her

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

I took was looking forward to the responses.  I'm close to bingo

- she's a liberal

- she would be easy to fock

- she needs an alpha male like me to take care of her

You two would make a great pair of whiney little beaches.  

She is not wrong.

I have been commuting 90 minutes each way for 20 years. Focking blows. 

• Like 1

I previously have worked where my 8 hour days were more like 11 hour days, and it was awful.

Most days I have a 10 minute commute but on Thursdays when I work on the other side of town I get to work early and leave at 2:30 then complete my day at home. This allows me to avoid traffic and it keeps my commute to ~30 minutes instead of 1-1.5 hours like it would be during rush hour.

I have no problem with her complaining. We should all strive to be working less and enjoying life more.

She needs to move or find a new job though.

12 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

She could regain an hour each day if she simply removed the extraneous "likes" from her speech.

I love it.  

Sarcasm aside, women everywhere should reconsider their makeup routines.  She doesn’t need the makeup and the vast majority of women don’t actually benefit from it.  News flash ladies— you just look like you’re wearing makeup.  Men don’t feel the need to conceal our actual faces.  You shouldn’t either.  Go natural.  I calculated the time my wife spends applying makeup and it’s 4.5 days a year.  And her routine is actually pretty simple.  Some of these women spend the equivalent of WEEKS per year just applying and removing makeup.

I did the 12 hour days, over 2 hours of commuting for many years.  It does suck.  Since 2014 my commute was 30 mins, and since 2020 it's been work from home.  I will never go back to a more than 30 min commute ever again.

Her mistake was putting all this on social media for all the professional haters to go off on her, or sexualize and objectify her.

• Like 1

Just now, MLCKAA said:

I love it.  

Sarcasm aside, women everywhere should reconsider their makeup routines.  She doesn’t need the makeup and the vast majority of women don’t actually benefit from it.  News flash ladies— you just look like you’re wearing makeup.  Men don’t feel the need to conceal our actual faces.  You shouldn’t either.  Go natural.  I calculated the time my wife spends applying makeup and it’s 4.5 days a year.  And her routine is actually pretty simple.  Some of these women spend the equivalent of WEEKS per year just applying and removing makeup.

She spends hours on her nails. And anyone who gets home by 6pm and says they only have time to eat and go to sleep is a focking liar. 

Anyone who complains about working 9-5 is doomed to work 9-5 until they die. 

Being a grown up is not all it is perceived to be by college students, at least not those put through college on mommy and daddy's dime.  Their classmates who had to work their way through know all about this.  

• Like 2

This chick will whine until she finds some idiot to support her while she grows fat (and she  will grow fat) then after 5 years she'll bltch day and night about having to raise the kids 24x7. 

13 hours ago, Gepetto said:

I just interviewed a 23 year old recent college grad for an entry level position that has a generous starting salary with full bennies and PTO. The kid graduated in May and has not worked since.  Instead of asking about the position and growth the first thing he asked was "Will I be getting a fuel stipend for my commute?"  I asked him "How far do you live?" and he says "well if traffic is heavy is can take me 15-20 minutes." Next question was again nothing about the position, but does he get a gym membership?  Then a couple more questions about PTO.   

After that I just said "Thanks for interviewing, instead of waiting to inform him I said I don`t think you are a fit"  Thanks.

I get an email a day later that said "What could I have done better in the interview?"

35 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

I love it.  

26 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

I just interviewed a 23 year old recent college grad for an entry level position that has a generous starting salary with full bennies and PTO. The kid graduated in May and has not worked since.  Instead of asking about the position and growth the first thing he asked was "Will I be getting a fuel stipend for my commute?"  I asked him "How far do you live?" and he says "well if traffic is heavy is can take me 15-20 minutes." Next question was again nothing about the position, but does he get a gym membership?  Then a couple more questions about PTO.   

After that I just said "Thanks for interviewing, instead of waiting to inform him I said I don`t think you are a fit"  Thanks.

I get an email a day later that said "What could I have done better in the interview?"

Interviewing is a skill that takes time to learn for many people. Especially if they do not have parents that work professional jobs.

It was good that he was aware enough to reach back out via email for tips, that is a good sign and hopefully you responded.

I refuse to go to the office to do my job. There is just no reason for it. Did an interview not long ago where the employer wanted me in the office 4 days a week. It would have been a 3 hour round trip commute daily. Just so they could watch me do my job. I have no issues with a 9-5  although I work a 10-6 typically or 11-7. I will NOT commute to a job longer than 30 mins a day. Anything else is stealing time from me unless I get paid for the daily commute. Working from an office is punishment.  I am also not entry level though. 

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

Interviewing is a skill that takes time to learn for many people. Especially if they do not have parents that work professional jobs.

It was good that he was aware enough to reach back out via email for tips, that is a good sign and hopefully you responded.

I agree, I did.  

A polished interview means nothing once the job starts.  I have hired people who were great interviews, yet not so great once the job starts. And vice versa.

For a first time employee out of college I look for more for enthusiasm, interest in responsibilities, growth potential. I don`t expect them to have the perfect interview. 

Also have no issue with questions about PTO and other perks, but save those for the end. As I always cover all of that.

As a middle age Gen Xer that's been working since my paper route at age 11, my initial reaction is 'welcome to the real world; suck it up, buttercup.'

But really, I've spent WAY too many years working long hours, and if the Millennials are successful in changing that paradigm, I'm all for it. I'll hopefully benefit by either working fewer hours, or get promotions for being a rockstar employee that's willing to show up for 9+ hours a day and get my shlt done. Win-win for Fnord.

I hired a women 2 years out of college about a year ago.   She was great, busted her ass, took some lumps, learned a lot and after a few months was a great resource on the team.  She gave her 2 weeks recently, got an awesome job.  Good people are still in demand.

5 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Good people are still in demand.

Higher demand than ever. 

Yeah, being an adult isn't easy.  Just like being a parent.  Lots of sacrifices come with these things. 

There are plenty of jobs out there that don't require 40 hours a week.  Work one of those if you want a better work life balance.  This isn't hard. 

12 minutes ago, Fnord said:

As a middle age Gen Xer that's been working since my paper route at age 11, my initial reaction is 'welcome to the real world; suck it up, buttercup.'

But really, I've spent WAY too many years working long hours, and if the Millennials are successful in changing that paradigm, I'm all for it. I'll hopefully benefit by either working fewer hours, or get promotions for being a rockstar employee that's willing to show up for 9+ hours a day and get my shlt done. Win-win for Fnord.

5 minutes ago, Fnord said:

Higher demand than ever. 

I had the same initial reaction, although being retired I won't personally benefit from it.  My kids would, and maybe my wife.

That being said, this girl needs to learn to take ownership of her situation.  She needs to look for a new place or a new job; crying about it isn't going to fix it.

I compare this girl to my daughter, who just graduated and moved to NYC to start her fashion career.  She lined up a roommate before she went and they found a rent controlled place in Manhattan (Washington Heights at the northern tip, but still on the island).  If she hadn't been able to do that, she wouldn't have gone.  She then found a job in the fashion district which is a 30-40 minute commute on a single train.

To your latter point, she was hired as a contractor which seems common in that industry.  Apparently a lot of the creative types don't end up being good workers, so companies do the contract thing before offering employment.  My daughter is an excellent worker and I'm confident she'll get an employment offer.

4 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I had the same initial reaction, although being retired I won't personally benefit from it.  My kids would, and maybe my wife.

That being said, this girl needs to learn to take ownership of her situation.  She needs to look for a new place or a new job; crying about it isn't going to fix it.

I compare this girl to my daughter, who just graduated and moved to NYC to start her fashion career.  She lined up a roommate before she went and they found a rent controlled place in Manhattan (Washington Heights at the northern tip, but still on the island).  If she hadn't been able to do that, she wouldn't have gone.  She then found a job in the fashion district which is a 30-40 minute commute on a single train.

To your latter point, she was hired as a contractor which seems common in that industry.  Apparently a lot of the creative types don't end up being good workers, so companies do the contract thing before offering employment.  My daughter is an excellent worker and I'm confident she'll get an employment offer.

I contract. Have been doing it on and off for years. It is good way to make money. If you work on a contract you typically get a premium that you are not going to get as an employee. She may be better off going that way. 

On the flip side, are there still companies paying people for 40 hours of work that don't have 40 hours worth of work for them to do?  I understand peaks and valleys, but if I'm paying someone to work 40 hours a week it's because the majority of the time I have 40 hours of work for them to do.  

2 minutes ago, Ultra Max Power said:

On the flip side, are there still companies paying people for 40 hours of work that don't have 40 hours worth of work for them to do?  I understand peaks and valleys, but if I'm paying someone to work 40 hours a week it's because the majority of the time I have 40 hours of work for them to do.  

32 hours is now considered full time. 

26 minutes ago, Ultra Max Power said:

Yeah, being an adult isn't easy.  Just like being a parent.  Lots of sacrifices come with these things. 

There are plenty of jobs out there that don't require 40 hours a week.  Work one of those if you want a better work life balance.  This isn't hard. 

And what's with the hating work? It's a natural part of life. Ups and downs are part of all of life. If you are whining constantly about work to that level, you are doomed to whining about everything in life. 

I hit a wall at certain times at a few jobs, but then just moved on. The chick in that video looks new to the actual workforce.  Don't stick your dlck in crazy, whiny, and lazy. 

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt said:

Seriously?  Good god

22 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

And what's with the hating work? It's a natural part of life. Ups and downs are part of all of life. If you are whining constantly about work to that level, you are doomed to whining about everything in life. 

I hit a wall at certain times at a few jobs, but then just moved on. The chick in that video looks new to the actual workforce.  Don't stick your dlck in crazy, whiny, and lazy. 

I do not see a lot of hating work. What I see is a lot of people starting to question the idea of free hours. If I am going to come INTO the office you should pay me for the commute. Even if it is only 20 mins. I was commuting 3 hours a day at one time to do a job I have been easily doing from home for years. Just so I could make a living wage. That is 15 hours a week I was losing from my life. For freeeeeeeee. That is not even counting the gas or the stress of having to fight 94 every day. The cost of going IN to work is what I hear most people complain about. Not the hours or even the job. 

5 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

I do not see a lot of hating work. What I see is a lot of people starting to question the idea of free hours. If I am going to come INTO the office you should pay me for the commute. Even if it is only 20 mins. I was commuting 3 hours a day at one time to do a job I have been easily doing from home for years. Just so I could make a living wage. That is 15 hours a week I was losing from my life. For freeeeeeeee. That is not even counting the gas or the stress of having to fight 94 every day. The cost of going IN to work is what I hear most people complain about. Not the hours or even the job. 

I think this causes too big of a headache for the company.  When I first started at my current job there was a policy to live within 45 minutes of the base due to recall timelines.  It was slowly complained about enough that they finally dropped it. 

If employees start demanding companies pay for their commutes, companies are going to dictate commuting restrictions. 

3 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

I think part of finding a job is about location. If you are new in a field and are trying to establish yourself, pay your dues. Move closer or suck it up. You haven't earned anything yet. Once you establish yourself as a leader, a technical guru, a stellar salesman, etc...then you can demand the "cater to me" approach. Until then, screw it.

• Like 1