Sign in to follow this  
BeenHereBefore

I have A Problem With That Chic Beating Pete Maravich All Time Points Record

8 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Ha thats always tough. Shot around and played horse a few times with Raef Lafrenz, and one thing he taught me was in horse, it’s not about crazy shots it’s just changing depth. So he milked me just going 15 footer 23 footer, eight footer 12 footer. 

Love the Raef Lafrenz reference.  I remember his game.  Decent journeyman.  Being decent in the NBA means a guy is an extraordinary talent or physical specimen, or combination of both.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Love the Raef Lafrenz reference.  I remember his game.  Decent journeyman.  Being decent in the NBA means a guy is an extraordinary talent or physical specimen, or combination of both.

Raef is a name.  Didnt mind him in my N64 days as a big that could hit a jumper.  Always liked Sabosis too.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Yeah, he was interesting talking to. He was at our gym while his gym at his house was getting built here in Iowa… so we happen to do our shooting at about the same time, so we just got talking
we were talking about just that NBA life and he’s like everyone says you should just play till you can’t play anymore but it’s hard when you gotta get up on that same baseline as everyone else and run even though you know you’re not going to get any minutes at the end of your career and you’re still doing all the travel and away from your family for essentially sitting on the bench. 

3 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Yeah, he was interesting talking to. He was at our gym while his gym at his house was getting built here in Iowa… so we happen to do our shooting at about the same time, so we just got talking
we were talking about just that NBA life and he’s like everyone says you should just play till you can’t play anymore but it’s hard when you gotta get up on that same baseline as everyone else and run even though you know you’re not going to get any minutes at the end of your career and you’re still doing all the travel and away from your family for essentially sitting on the bench. 

I would not mind the pay and the life of an NBA 12th man.  You get paid for working out and you have great seats for the game.  Oh, and collecting the "spillage" from the stars would be all right.  You definately want to ride that train as long as you can bercause in the real world one does not make 7 figures for working out and watching sports.  If it did every guido in Jersey would be a millionaire several times over. 

8 hours ago, BeachGuy23 said:

She call ball no doubt.  Something about her rubs me the wrong way though.

She's a little too white.

Fixed

2 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

Could you take her in a game of whores?

I’d sure try her in a game of whores.

So after watching this game I can say the following:

- Caitlin Clark is a baller.  Her stroke looks pure and she has great range.  She's a good passer and rebounder.   Deserves the hype. 

- Women's bball has improved since the last time I watched a game.  It used to look like the women were shot putting their jump shots.  Very ugly.  Most of them have more traditional form now which is good to see.  Still way too many missed layups. 

Still won't be watching women's bball but it wasn't a bad game to watch.

31 minutes ago, Strike said:

So after watching this game I can say the following:

- Caitlin Clark is a baller.  Her stroke looks pure and she has great range.  She's a good passer and rebounder.   Deserves the hype. 

- Women's bball has improved since the last time I watched a game.  It used to look like the women were shot putting their jump shots.  Very ugly.  Most of them have more traditional form now which is good to see.  Still way too many missed layups. 

Still won't be watching women's bball but it wasn't a bad game to watch.

Yep. I am in the same boat. She is a transformative type player - a Steph Curry type influence on women’s basketball if such a thing can exist. 

I still won’t make it a point to watch a game 😂

But she is very watchable.

Sabrina Ionescu (and many others) came before Caitin Clarke. Sabrina (in college) put up a triple double almost every night. She's the one who took on Steph Curry in a 3 pt contest at the all-star weekend recently.

2 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Sabrina Ionescu (and many others) came before Caitin Clarke. Sabrina (in college) put up a triple double almost every night. She's the one who took on Steph Curry in a 3 pt contest at the all-star weekend recently.

Haven't seen her play and probably won't.  She lost to Steph using a lighter, smaller ball. 

46 minutes ago, Strike said:

Haven't seen her play and probably won't.  She lost to Steph using a lighter, smaller ball. 

I've never watched her either. She did at least shoot from the NBA 3-point line which she didn't have to do.  

The previous year, I think I remember hearing, she did make more 3's in a 3-pt contest than anyone else ever, including Steph, but of course that was the WNBA 3-pt distance and women's size ball.

Just now, Gepetto said:

I've never watched her either. She did at least shoot from the NBA 3-point line which she didn't have to do.

Not really an apples to apples competition if she uses a different ball or distance. 

3 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

Fixed

Racist always gonna racist it seems.

Not even close to what I was thinking.

Did you post that from you Klan meeting boyo?

1 hour ago, jonnyutah said:

Lets say in ten years a male is about to pass CC. You wont hear squat. 

Maybe a schmohawk Senior at some rinky dink school will break it.... but just about any male player of real talent is going to go pro ASAP.  

On 3/2/2024 at 7:28 PM, thegeneral said:

If they let this broad throw up 40 shots a game she’d average 50 😂

She also averages about 15 3 pt attempts a game which weren't even around when Maravich played

29 minutes ago, nobody said:

She also averages about 15 3 pt attempts a game which weren't even around when Maravich played

Pete was a beast and rock star (although I am only watching grainy YouTube vids).

This chick can shoot and has game for sure. Best female player I have watched, only one really. 

Congrats Caitlin…. You have definitely brought viewers to the arena and on television…

It is a joy to watch her and can’t wait until she plays in the WNBA…

Clark and Paige can definitely take over a game…

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, posty said:

Congrats Caitlin…. You have definitely brought viewers to the arena and on television…

It is a joy to watch her and can’t wait until she plays in the WNBA…

Clark and Paige can definitely take over a game…

She is entertaining, but the WNBA product is not engulfing.  There will be an initial boost, but in the end it will not make the league as the WNBA as a product is not that good.  If she ends up in the finals, the networks will over-hype it.  It will get some viewers, but after that, no one will care again. 

15 hours ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Racist always gonna racist it seems.

Not even close to what I was thinking.

Did you post that from you Klan meeting boyo?

I know for fact if she were black you would NOT DARE to have an issue with her or it WOULD be considered racist.  Unfortunately, the blacks cry racism even when not warranted. 

Oh, how does it feel to have an opinion labeled racist just cause?   Dikbag

51 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I know for fact if she were black you would NOT DARE to have an issue with her or it WOULD be considered racist.  Unfortunately, the blacks cry racism even when not warranted. 

Oh, how does it feel to have an opinion labeled racist just cause?   Dikbag

The only one who mentioned race was YOU.  Stupid freaking racist moron.

Don't try to project your "see the world through the lens of race" on me imbecile.

I'm way way too smart to judge people by the color of their skin.

You on the other hand have proved yourself to be a moronic, low IQ imbecile.  So naturally you're a racist too.

Begone insect. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BeachGuy23 said:

The only one who mentioned race was YOU.  Stupid freaking racist moron.

Don't try to project your "see the world through the lens of race" on me imbecile.

I'm way way too smart to judge people by the color of their skin.

You on the other hand have proved yourself to be a moronic, low IQ imbecile.  So naturally you're a racist too.

Begone insect. 

Truth stings.  dikbag.

1 minute ago, Alias Detective said:

Truth stings.  Insect.

Your truth stings insect.  Got nothing to do with me.

You're not even bright enough to come up with your own insults.

"hur dur me know what you thinking hur dur"

Douche. 

The problem with comparing eras in basketball is the evolution of officiating, the FT rate and the 3 point shot.  I think Clark has over 500 made 3 point FGs.

I enjoy watching basketball, mostly HS and NCAA, but it’s a fundamentally flawed sport.  It’s impossible to officiate objectively and that will always doom its credibility.

• Like 1

WTF is comparing her to Pistol Pete?  She's clearly not close to the player he was for all the reason already mentioned here.

She's a great player in women's basketball.

End of story.  Sure we can be impressed but we don't need to compare her to men who play the same sport.

It's silly. 

14 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

WTF is comparing her to Pistol Pete?  She's clearly not close to the player he was for all the reason already mentioned here.

She's a great player in women's basketball.

End of story.  Sure we can be impressed but we don't need to compare her to men who play the same sport.

It's silly. 

Tell that to the guy calling the game on Saturday who mentioned her breaking Maravich's record no less than 50 times in 2 hours.

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

Tell that to the guy calling the game on Saturday who mentioned her breaking Maravich's record no less than 50 times in 2 hours.

So what?

Does it hurt your feelz that much?  Are you related to Pistol Pete, is that why it bothered you so much?

Good god some people are so soft these days...SMH

Just now, BeachGuy23 said:

So what?

Does it hurt your feelz that much?  Are you related to Pistol Pete, is that why it bothered you so much?

Good god some people are so soft these days...SMH

ROFLMAO Boyo, you asked who was comparing her to Pistol Pete. 

1 minute ago, Strike said:

ROFLMAO Boyo, you asked who was comparing her to Pistol Pete. 

Oh and you picked one guy announcing her game.  And you also noticed it.

WGAF?

If you DGAF then I misstated your reaction and apologize for doing so. 

Just now, BeachGuy23 said:

Oh and you picked one guy announcing her game.  And you also noticed it.

WGAF?

If you DGAF then I misstated your reaction and apologize for doing so. 

Whatever you say Boyo

Just now, Strike said:

Whatever you say Boyo

What more do you want?  I said I apologize if I misinterpreted your post.

Dang trying to be reasonable and still get the feelz.

SAD

23 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

Well, completely different sport. There are so far fewer really good women’s players that you can get away with having one player take almost as many shots as her entire roster and get away with it. 

I agree with a lot where she shouldn't be compared to Maravich... but this argument doesn't work for me.  When Maravich played in the 60's, the men's game wasn't at a stage much different than the current stage of women's baseball, some could argue that the Women's game today is better than the 60's era Men's game.  Thanks to the UConn 90's era (which a lot of people said was bad for women's college basketball), the women's game is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was 30 years ago.  In 1967 there were only 24 teams in the NCAA Tournament.  Maravich's LSU teams, never played in an NCAA Tournament game while he was there.

22 hours ago, thegeneral said:

This is a weird thing to focus on. 

I've heard this argument before, and I think it has merit.  Not sure his reasoning, but of the one's I've heard... their point was not that it was easier for the ladies to shoot the ball, but because the rim is the same size as the men's game, there's more margin of error for the ladies when they shoot.  That's a fair argument in my opinion.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I've heard this argument before, and I think it has merit.  Not sure his reasoning, but of the one's I've heard... their point was not that it was easier for the ladies to shoot the ball, but because the rim is the same size as the men's game, there's more margin of error for the ladies when they shoot.  That's a fair argument in my opinion.

How could it NOT be a valid argument?  I also didn't mention it but the ball is like 4 ounces lighter.   I bet that chick that competed against Steph doesn't shoot nearly as well from distance with a heavier ball. 

1 minute ago, Strike said:

How could it NOT be a valid argument?  I also didn't mention it but the ball is like 4 ounces lighter.   I bet that chick that competed against Steph doesn't shoot nearly as well from distance with a heavier ball. 

Yeah, I think most people when they hear this argument, don't think from that point of view.  They look at it as women are being criticized for having smaller hands.  From a ratio perspective, the women's ball should be even smaller than what it is now.

22 hours ago, thegeneral said:

This is a weird thing to focus on. 

not really, for example in HS/College I could dunk a woman's ball, I couldn't with a mens

I would compare it to using wood bats vs metal in baseball, not cause of the material but they are much lighter and have a better surface ratio

I've been seeing this argued on social media nonstop the last couple weeks.  Here are some things to keep in mind.

Pete played in a segregated league against inferior competition.

Pete attempted almost twice as many shots per game.  He had more attempts in 3 years than Clark has had in 4.

If you were to take away Clark's threes and match the attempted shots to Pete, she would have scored more points.  Even if it was only her last three years.