Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

Favorite lesser known bands

They don’t have to be totally obscure, but what’s a band you like that most people have probably never heard of?

For me, one of them is The Weakerthans. A Canadian indie rock group out of Winnipeg doing their stuff in the early to mid aughts, when I was still a relatively young man.

7 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

Jinjer

Gojira

Devin Townsend Project

Gojira and DT.  👍

If you ever get a chance to see Gojira in a small venue then DO IT.  So amazing live. 

• Like 1

Riverside 

(looks like some other band uses the same name)

I'm talking about this Riverside: '

Going to see Between The Buried And Me (BTBAM) on back to back nights as they play their Colors and Colors II albums in their entirety.  One album each night..  The harsh vocals take some getting used to but once you get past it they are pretty damn good.

I am a huge fan of Anthony Hamilton.  True soul music, and his voice is awesome.

This is an early 2000's song of his

2 minutes ago, HTH said:

Luna?

:)

Oh, yeah. Saw them live a couple times in the mid-90s in L.A. and they were great. 

I remember at one show, some woman called out between songs "I Love You, Dean" and Dean Wareham said, deadpan, "Thanks, Mom"

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, squistion said:

Oh, yeah. Saw them live a couple times in the mid-90s in L.A. and they were great. 

I remember at one show, some woman called out between songs "I Love You, Dean" and Dean Wareham said, deadpan, "Thanks, Mom"

I saw them in Philly a few times in the 90s. I don’t love their studio albums but they were an awesome live act.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

@SUXBNME allow me...

Steel focking Panther

Any relation to Seth Rollins?

One of my favorite bands is Fugazi. Never really got their due partly by design: They owned their own label, played only $5 all ages shows and supposedly turned down a few blank check offers to play Lollapalooza. Never made a bad album and went out in peak form. 

41 minutes ago, MDC said:

One of my favorite bands is Fugazi. Never really got their due partly by design: They owned their own label, played only $5 all ages shows and supposedly turned down a few blank check offers to play Lollapalooza. Never made a bad album and went out in peak form. 

Great choice. Legendary punk/post-punk band formed by Ian MacKaye, one of the forefathers of harcore who also fronted Minor Threat before Fugazi.

If Fugazi tickles your fancy, I can recommend about 100 other bands you might like. 

I was thinking about how I could just spam this thread with recommendations since most of what I listen to is lesser known, but a couple artists stood out to me:

The Hold Steady, America's favorite bar band, is probably my favorite rock act of the last 15 years or so.

Joy Division. Hugely influential in punk, post punk, and even edm/dance, since they became New Order after singer Ian Curtis hanged himself.

1 minute ago, Fnord said:

Great choice. Legendary punk/post-punk band formed by Ian MacKaye, one of the forefathers of harcore who also fronted Minor Threat before Fugazi.

If Fugazi tickles your fancy, I can recommend about 100 other bands you might like. 

I was thinking about how I could just spam this thread with recommendations since most of what I listen to is lesser known, but a couple artists stood out to me:

The Hold Steady, America's favorite bar band, is probably my favorite rock act of the last 15 years or so.

Joy Division. Hugely influential in punk, post punk, and even edm/dance, since they became New Order after singer Ian Curtis hanged himself.

I saw New Order with Pet Shop Boys back in 2022, fantastic show.

You're probably well aware of them but I’m also a big fan of Unwound, who aren’t too dissimilar to Fugazi.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MDC said:

I saw New Order with Pet Shop Boys back in 2022, fantastic show.

You're probably well aware of them but I’m also a big fan of Unwound, who aren’t too dissimilar to Fugazi.

I don't think I've listened to them. I checked Spotify for recommendations based on Fugazi; Unwound and Slint were the only ones I'm not familiar with. The rest (Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Black Flag, Descendents, Circle Jerks, Husker Du, Minutemen, Dinosaur Jr, Rites of Spring, Jesus Lizard) range from great to Jesus Lizard. I don't like Jesus Lizard. The Minutemen are ok. The rest kick ass.

9 minutes ago, Fnord said:

I don't think I've listened to them. I checked Spotify for recommendations based on Fugazi; Unwound and Slint were the only ones I'm not familiar with. The rest (Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Black Flag, Descendents, Circle Jerks, Husker Du, Minutemen, Dinosaur Jr, Rites of Spring, Jesus Lizard) range from great to Jesus Lizard. I don't like Jesus Lizard. The Minutemen are ok. The rest kick ass.

Unwound was fantastic. Repetition and New Plastic Ideas are good starter albums if you’re interested.

8 minutes ago, MDC said:

Unwound was fantastic. Repetition and New Plastic Ideas are good starter albums if you’re interested.

I'll check em out. Thanks.

Apparently, it's 10 years old, but just found this one the other day... good stuff.