Sign in to follow this  
Old School

401k withholdings missing

So, my employer is in some trouble, to say the least.

Always ran the company mortgaged to the hilt, but took it to the extreme a few years ago.

Since the 2014 acquisition of another company, Moody's has continually downgraded the bonds to the current Caa3 rating- basically the bottom of junk bond status.

Senior Secured Notes are due in 2018 to the tune of $520 million.

There's no focking money left.

Now- we've learned the company continues to withhold 401k contributions from our paychecks- but they haven't sent the money into the 401k since the end of October.

That's 3 paychecks for salaried people- 9 paychecks for hourly.

Can't get any focking response from HR or anyone else- they are very rude to any questions.

I'm tempted to call Department of Labor.

Isn't the company required by law to make these deposits within 15 business days after the paycheck is issued?

I know the money is safe once it reaches my 401k, but this in limbo money could disappear once the company declares bankruptcy.

Happy Focking New Year!

So, my employer is in some trouble, to say the least.

Always ran the company mortgaged to the hilt, but took it to the extreme a few years ago.

Since the 2014 acquisition of another company, Moody's has continually downgraded the bonds to the current Caa3 rating- basically the bottom of junk bond status.

Senior Secured Notes are due in 2018 to the tune of $520 million.

There's no focking money left.

Now- we've learned the company continues to withhold 401k contributions from our paychecks- but they haven't sent the money into the 401k since the end of October.

That's 3 paychecks for salaried people- 9 paychecks for hourly.

Can't get any focking response from HR or anyone else- they are very rude to any questions.

I'm tempted to call Department of Labor.

Isn't the company required by law to make these deposits within 15 business days after the paycheck is issued?

I know the money is safe once it reaches my 401k, but this in limbo money could disappear once the company declares bankruptcy.

Happy Focking New Year!

Sorry to hear. Definitely make the call.

This sucks. I would make the call as well. I seems to me you see the handwriting on the wall.

Figure out a way to get it back on the side. The ship is going down, find a new ship.

• Like 1

Publicly traded ? Let us know so we can short the stock. :lock:

Eliminate your withholding until you know they can fix things.

I'm not sure what the law says but we only make our contributions once a month so I don't believe it's 15 days.

All kidding aside, You realize even something as seemingly innocuous as this could land you in some hot water if it was traded upon?

:reported:

All kidding aside, You realize even something as seemingly innocuous as this could land you in some hot water if it was traded upon?

Meh. They'd have to catch me first. :bandana:

http://www.401khelpcenter.com/faq/faq_14.html#.WkPMrpWoupo

How soon does my employer have to deposit my contributions deducted from my pay into my 401k account?

Answer: Government regulations require that participant contributions to a 401k be deposited to the plan on the earliest date that they can be reasonably segregated from the employer's general assets, but in no event may they be deposited later than the 15th business day of the month following the month in which the participant contributions are deducted from their pay. What this DOESN'T mean is that your employer can wait until the 15th business day of the month following the month in which your contribution was deducted just for the convenience of doing so. If they can deposit the funds in one or two days, they must do so.

Check out back and make sure there is no helicopter raring to go

I emailed Fidelity- they called me and seemed shocked.

They referred me to our HR department- which consists of mean vindictive wrenches.

Seriously- it's 50/50 that I get fired for even questioning this one.

They referred me to our HR department- which consists of mean vindictive wrenches.

I know good lawyers

Typically you can sue the hell out of them for something like that including any retaliation for your blowing the whistle. Depends on your jurisdiction but often you can get treble (triple) damages plus attorneys fees etc.

But if theyre that shady to be doing this then it could be tough to recover anything from them.

Personally Id be looking elsewhere pronto.

Do you know any labor lawyers? Sounds like youre going to need one

Do you know any labor lawyers? Sounds like youre going to need one

:wave:

They fire so many salaried people that it is redicilous.

Sept 2015- Moody's noted "CFO resignation re-ignites senior management stability concerns"

For peons like me- the reason for termination is "we are going in a different direction"

A package is offered, with 6 months pay- and you have a week to sign the agreement not to sue- or the 6 month pay is off the table.

It's not lump sum- you just stay on the payroll for 6 months.

Private- run by a tyrant- at least until bankruptcy

Sept 2015- Moody's noted "CFO resignation re-ignites senior management stability concerns"

For peons like me- the reason for termination is "we are going in a different direction"

A package is offered, with 6 months pay- and you have a week to sign the agreement not to sue- or the 6 month pay is off the table.

That sux. Good luck.

Eliminate your withholding until you know they can fix things.

This is probably the correct answer

Guess we know who you work for, now.

Shocked they are doing so bad. Seems like they would make a fortune selling those things. The mark up has to be insane, no?

What kind of employee discount do you get?

Mean or not you deserve straightforward answers. You are an employee, not a bank.

You get a slice?

Hell no. But our labor lawyer partner is a bulldog

• Like 1

Wonder if there is any money in the whistle blowing biz?

There is, some % of the penalties levied on the company. I've been trying to figure out a way to do so in my hospital for a while - too much shady BS.

If they do go bankrupt, then that 401 k money will be the first thing paid back out of the sale of all their assets. All the creditors will be in line after the employee 401 k money is paid back.

If they do go bankrupt, then that 401 k money will be the first thing paid back out of the sale of all their assets. All the creditors will be in line after the employee 401 k money is paid back.

I dont think this is true- I believe there is little chance of getting this money once bankruptcy is declared

Glassdoor has some great reviews. :lol:

The only positive reviews are from current employees- ordered to make up Sh!t to combat all the true reviews

There are some great ones. Its great reading.