Sign in to follow this  
naomi

L. Ron Hubbard

Been reading about Scientology at Wiki, it's more crazy than I thought. Some of the tenants are like vague humanistic thoughts many people ponder in passing, just expanded, and specified in respect to Hubbard's sci-fantastical mind. Granted wiki isn't the best source, it atleast outlines some major points of Scientology. After reading all that it just seems likely that when Hubbard said stuff like

If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion.

That's what was behind it all for him. Did he really believe his stuff? In Xenu, in our numerous past lives spanning trillions of years, etc?

Been reading about Scientology at Wiki, it's more crazy than I thought. Some of the tenants are like vague humanistic thoughts many people ponder in passing, just expanded, and specified in respect to Hubbard's sci-fantastical mind. Granted wiki isn't the best source, it atleast outlines some major points of Scientology. After reading all that it just seems likely that when Hubbard said stuff like

That's what was behind it all for him. Did he really believe his stuff? In Xenu, in our numerous past lives spanning trillions of years, etc?

While I'm not a scientology fan or believer, I doubt money was his primary motivation. He was a successful Sci Fi writer separate from and before Scientology.

I agree. Compared to pillars of truth like "Intelligent Design," Scientology is just crazy talk.

While I'm not a scientology fan or believer, I doubt money was his primary motivation. He was a successful Sci Fi writer separate from and before Scientology.

Zen, knew that was coming.

Need to read more but so far understand that all the highest level information is basically cooked out of his imagination. So maybe he believed it all and then said "hey this is a way to make money" after it got going. But I could imagine him being this succesful writer detesting religion in general, and then with seeing the success of his sci-fi novels, present it to people and see if they latched on. Either way, he had to be completely nuts, believing his own stuff or not, simply because it seems to be his own stuff. But then again apparently he considered himself a budha-esque being of sorts, not just your average guy. Something elevated him to a higher level of informed being. Likely something long past in one of his billion lives.

I agree. Compared to pillars of truth like "Intelligent Design," Scientology is just crazy talk.

:highfive:

seriously, as a Scientologist myself, you should all give it a chance before knocking it.

Scientology has brought so much happiness into my life.

F**k L Ron Hubbard and f**k all his clones.

:lol:

That pretty much sums it all up..

All we need now is a Jim Jones type mass suicide pact from them..Take the Euros & Canadians too.. :ninja:

For the life of me, I can't understand why so many celebs and millions of people around the world are becoming Scientologists. I mean, if it's as crazy as it sounds, what the hell is wrong with all these people? Most of the celebs seem somewhat normal in interviews. You'd expect scientology would only attact complete freaks and nut jobs.

How do they take something so ridiculous and insane and make it believable to rational people?

seriously, as a Scientologist myself, you should all give it a chance before knocking it.

Scientology has brought so much happiness into my life.

I'd be willing to try it but that inverse correlation between happiness and money always stops me :lol:

You have to pay to believe in Scientology

You have to pay to join a regular church

what's the diff?

what's the diff?

None. They're all crooked, IMO.

For the life of me, I can't understand why so many celebs and millions of people around the world are becoming Scientologists. I mean, if it's as crazy as it sounds, what the hell is wrong with all these people? Most of the celebs seem somewhat normal in interviews. You'd expect scientology would only attact complete freaks and nut jobs.

How do they take something so ridiculous and insane and make it believable to rational people?

I can answer that.

The basic belief behind Scientology is that human beings are posessed by these bad alien spirits. These bad alien spirits are the reason people do bad things. So, if you're a celeb who has something to feel guilty about (like making tens of millions of dollars for a movie or abandoning your old friends and family b/c you are a big superstar) you can blame the alien spirits...it's not your fault.

Oh and since when are people like Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Kirstie Alley considered rational? :doublethumbsup:

from what i read he was a failure in even low grade pulp sci-fi.

Oh and since when are people like Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Kirstie Alley considered rational? :D

I don't know any Scientologists so just going by the personalities we only see through these people, it's baffling.

From wiki, these are the known celebrity followers: John Travolta, Kelly Preston, Jenna Elfman, Kirstie Alley, Catherine Bell, Leah Remini, Beck Hansen, Josh Pettersen, Chick Corea, Brandy Norwood, Isaac Hayes, Jason Lee, Juliette Lewis, James Packer, Doug E. Fresh, Greta Van Susteren, Judy Norton Taylor, Tom Cruise, Cruise's converted fiancée Katie Holmes, and Zhenteng Li.

According to Hubbard, some of the past traumas may have been deliberately inflicted in the form of "implants" used by extraterrestrial dictatorships such as Helatrobus to brainwash and control people. Scientology doctrine includes a wide variety of beliefs in extraterrestrial civilizations and alien interventions in Earthly events, collectively described by Hubbard as "space opera". Former members of the Church have admitted that the enormous Church of Spiritual Technology symbol at Scientology's Trementina Base is meant to provide a "return point" for Scientologists to help find the base when they travel here in the future from other places in the universe.
:rolleyes:

what's the diff?

I'm not sure what church you "don't go" to, but the ones I have been to, you don't have to pay.

:fry: they are on completely different levels of absurdity and you know it.

I'm not sure what church you "don't go" to, but the ones I have been to, you don't have to pay.

You don't have to, but are expected to.

All the thespians I knew in high school were beyond weird. So why would anyone assume that these famous actors are normal people? I mean think of how odd of a career acting is: all the attention, pretending to be another human being, etc. Marlon Brando, the king of acting, always said that acting is the lowest form of work a person can do. He believed people acted because they needed attention and hated themselves.

Dis-illusioned actors and all the other idiots who belong to that pay-to-see farce are hardly rational.

Focking morons is what they are.

Because they are actors. What better way to sell a crazy religion is there besides having people that are professional BSers??

Screw L.Ron Hubbard, Stan Marsh, his reincarnation, is so much better than him.

SUPER-ADVENTURE CLUB all the way!!! Pediphils #1!!!

This is what I"ve heard from a member who escaped.

There are counsellors called Auditors. After taking a personality test to assess how messed up you are ( and you are always messed up) you are then offered auditing of all your negative experiences for the fee of a few hundred dollars. Scientology is extremley expensive and and restrictive. An auditing machine looks like two tins cans on strings attached to a odometer- it is called an an e-meter.

L. Ron Hubbard believes that an alien lord called xenu has infected all humans with negative energy and this is where all mistakes,accidents, illnes etc... comes from, xenu, alien souls. For instance, it is rumored that Jenna Elfman of the tv show Dharma and Greg stated that she would not autography something to be sold at a charity event for AIDS in africa because teh disaease it simply a product of the mind and it was thier choice to have AIDS. IMO this is completely nuts.

The South Park series of cartoons is actually realy informative on his subject. " TOM CRUISE in the closet " episode explains alot of the actual "church" doctrine. Also websites such as clambake.org provide account of former members of scientology who have been financially ruined as a result if thier involvement, and those who have tried to escape the "religion."

I liked Battlefield Earth

Yeah has far as scifi writing... I liked his stuff.

Battlefield Earth (greata book, TERRIBLE movie)

Final Blackout - It's about what would have happened in Europe if America had pulled out of WWII...

Mission Earth Decadon... I dug it... lots of humor.

I don't know any Scientologists so just going by the personalities we only see through these people, it's baffling.

From wiki, these are the known celebrity followers: John Travolta, Kelly Preston, Jenna Elfman, Kirstie Alley, Catherine Bell, Leah Remini, Beck Hansen, Josh Pettersen, Chick Corea, Brandy Norwood, Isaac Hayes, Jason Lee, Juliette Lewis, James Packer, Doug E. Fresh, Greta Van Susteren, Judy Norton Taylor, Tom Cruise, Cruise's converted fiancée Katie Holmes, and Zhenteng Li.

:banana:

:P

Say it isn't so

:first:

Say it isn't so

I was doing fine on my Scientologist movie/TV boycott until I found out Leah Remini was one of them. Giving up seeing her perfect rack/ass combo on King of Queens is tough.

Yeah has far as scifi writing... I liked his stuff.

Battlefield Earth (greata book, TERRIBLE movie)

Final Blackout - It's about what would have happened in Europe if America had pulled out of WWII...

Mission Earth Decadon... I dug it... lots of humor.

Battlefield Earth is one of my fav books evah! Not so much the book I think, but the situation. I was working a summer job for PA Gas and Water, recreating plans they lost for a water treatment plant. Had lots of down time, that book kept me company all summer. :thumbsdown:

While we may disagree on the "talent" of Robin Williams, there's no denying that post was laugh out loud funny. :wacko:

No reference to the 10% tithe? No collection plates? No pagan babies or missionaries to support? No building funds, raffles, 50/50's, carnivals?

No more money has been squandered, nor lives taken, than have been done so in the name of "God".

No reference to the 10% tithe? No collection plates? No pagan babies or missionaries to support? No building funds, raffles, 50/50's, carnivals?

No more money has been squandered, nor lives taken, than have been done so in the name of "God".

Many churches definintely seem to be buisnesses if they were to be honest of their nature, but according to the bible, redemption doesn't hinge on things you do. “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” And there are those out there that believe it and shirk at man devising his own mandates, including using God to justify acts like the Inquisition.

I was doing fine on my Scientologist movie/TV boycott until I found out Leah Remini was one of them. Giving up seeing her perfect rack/ass combo on King of Queens is tough.

WOW, that is suprising that she is one of them, her character "Carrie" on the show would never even come close to it, i guess she isn't really like that in real life, too bad. BTW, this season, she has slimmed down quite a bit after having her kid, the new great ass/rack is coming back to form :thumbsup: I have been seeing epsiode from the first season, man, she was one grade A piece of ace!!!

No I mean I REALLY liked Battlefield Earth... the movie. I've never read the book

Cults are wonderful. We had one buy a town and try to poison the citizens in the county.

In 1984, followers of Bhagwan Shri Rashneesh sprinkled homegrown salmonella bacteria on supermarket produce, door handles, and restaurant salad bars in Oregon. Nobody died, but 751 people became ill. The poisonings were preparation for attacks meant to keep voters home during a local election in which a cult member was running for a county judgeship. Prosecution of cult leaders led to the dispersement of the organization.

Source: http://www.webmd.com/content/article/61/67268.htm

Cults are wonderful. We had one buy a town and try to poison the citizens in the county.

In 1984, followers of Bhagwan Shri Rashneesh sprinkled homegrown salmonella bacteria on supermarket produce, door handles, and restaurant salad bars in Oregon. Nobody died, but 751 people became ill. The poisonings were preparation for attacks meant to keep voters home during a local election in which a cult member was running for a county judgeship. Prosecution of cult leaders led to the dispersement of the organization.

Osho is sooo gangsta :thumbsup:

I could live without Leah Remini (never really liked her all the way back to Saved By the Bell) but Catherine Bell? That's a tough one.

About 10 years ago, Scientologiists purchased an old Indian school/camp facility near our remote Oklahoma town. unfortunately, they sold it just a few years later. I would have loved to see the uproar here in the Buckle of the Bible Belt related to all the notoriety the organization has generated these days.