Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Favorite Saturday morning shows growing up?

Damn, I remember LOVING Saturday morning. Scooby-Doo, SuperFriends, and of course, Bugs Bunny was already a classic. I was always a big Mighty Mouse fan too, but I think that was part of another show?

So many classics: Rocky and Bullwinkle rocked. I always like Sherman and the Professor too.

Grape Ape! - Loved that. And of course, Speed Buggy - Room a Zoom Zoom!!! :lol:

I'm trying to remember the name of the show that always featured a race between all the characters. I think it was all the Hanna Barberra characters. ????

As for live action, these are hard to admit, but bring back good memories;

Land of the Lost. - The Sleestacks scared me. (now, it's uber cheesy, but then? :mad:

Shazam!! - I know, I'm a dork.

And when I was a wee pup: The New Zoo Review. Dunno why, just always liked Froggy.

...pardon me whilst I meander down memory lane. Grinning as I type this thinking of all the morning spent in my jammies manually cranking the clunky dial on the old Zenith and being WAY too close to the screen.

Good times. Good times. :clap:

The Herculoids and Thundarr The Barbarian were personal favorites of mine.

By the way, you might be interested in reading this book. It talks about all of the cartoons we grew up with, but also goes into the politics behind them. It's a very interesting read and goes into the external pressures that the people who made them had to deal with, as well as helps explain why cartoons have seemingly taken such a turn for the worse from what I remember.

Land of the Lost. - The Sleestacks scared me. (now, it's uber cheesy, but then? :shocking:

There was a girl a year or two younger than me in school who we called Chaka for some reason or another.

I think my favorites would have been Super Friends and Pee Wee's Playhouse, even though I was a bit older when that was on. I'm now reliving it on Adult Swim.

:shocking: forgot about them!

Boomerang...it's all coming back to you.

I love that focking channel.

ETA: Johnny Quest...the real ones, not that compooter generated crap.

There was a girl a year or two younger than me in school who we called Chaka for some reason or another.

I think my favorites would have been Super Friends and Pee Wee's Playhouse, even though I was a bit older when that was on. I'm now reliving it on Adult Swim.

Super Friends was great. I also remember watching Spiderman and His Amazing Friends; Iceman and Firestar!!! LOL.

Snorks

Hey Vern, it's Ernest

Pee Wee's Playhouse

The Littles

Smurfs

Tom and Jerry

Bugs Bunny

Schoolhouse Rock

The Jetsons

Bugs Bunny/Road Runner (my favorite)

The Pink Panther

Yogi Bear

Tarzan

Capatin Caveman & The Teen Angels

Yogi's Ark

Fat Albert

Speed Buggy

These days, I wish I was six again. Oh make me a red cape, I wanna be Superman. :lol:

In between the Superfriends, Smurfs, etc....there was always Schoolhouse Rock. Still a great teaching tool. But better than anything else, there was "Time for Timer" Remember this guy? He was a little cartoon with a big tall hat and he do 3 minute little songs....like "My get up and go musta got up and went......I hanker for a hunk a' cheese" and he did the thing about putting fruit juice in the ice trays and making popsicles. Good times, good times. Also the spiderman/superman safety tips. Superman would fly in and yell at the kids cause they had too many plugs in the outlet or whatever. C'mon....you remember

Superfriends (the ones with The Wonder Twins, NOT with Marvin and Wendy)

Herculoids

Space Ghost (the old ones, from the 80s, not the "Coast to Coast shiat")

Jonny Quest

Spiderman and his Amazing Friends

I think that's about it. The rest were just filler.

Underdog wasn't bad either I guess.

In between the Superfriends, Smurfs, etc....there was always Schoolhouse Rock. Still a great teaching tool. But better than anything else, there was "Time for Timer" Remember this guy? He was a little cartoon with a big tall hat and he do 3 minute little songs....like "My get up and go musta got up and went......I hanker for a hunk a' cheese" and he did the thing about putting fruit juice in the ice trays and making popsicles. Good times, good times. Also the spiderman/superman safety tips. Superman would fly in and yell at the kids cause they had too many plugs in the outlet or whatever. C'mon....you remember

:headbanger:

Yep...you and I must have grown up in the same era.

I blocked out Saturday morning cartoons until the early 90s. At that point:

- X-Men

- Spiderman

- Batman: The Animated Series (actually not sure if this ever ran on Saturday's)

It didn't get any better than WWF Wrestling at noon on Saturdays.

On ABC, I was fond of Land of the Lost(90's version) and Winnie the Pooh.

Was that the one that Todd Pettengail(sp?) hosted?

I used to watch AWA wrestling in the early 80's, about 6 ot 7 years old. Hulk Hogan started there along with Jessy the Body and a few others. I still remember when Larry Zybysco hit Nick Bocwinkle with nun chucks and won the Heavyweight Championship. "Rock N' Roll" Buck Zumhoff was my favorite wrestler.

ETA: I also watched Superfriends. I hated the smurfs.

Schoolhouse Rock

I fockin loved this. Imagine that, educational cartoons that kids waited to see, what a concept. My kids got me the video of the "top 25 schoolhouse rocks" for Christmas last year, we still watch it occasionally. Trying to keep the old school going. :cheers:

I've tried to tell my kids that there was a time when there weren't umpteen cartoon/kid channels on 24/7, and that times like Saturday mornings were special. Deaf ears. :(

Also, the lack of Bullwinkle and Underdog in this thread makes it ROONED. <_<

6 AM - Captain Bob

7 AM - Barbapapa

8 AM - Superfriends

After that it was a hodge podge of things such as Looney Toons, Thundarr, The Herculoids, Richie Rich, Smurfs, Pac-Man, Spider Man and Friends, Popeye et al.

I never remember things like Transformers, Mighty Mouse, Casper, GI Joe, Starblazers, Battle of the Planets/G-Force, Force 5 and some others as being anything but weekday cartoons but I could be wrong.

I was going to say the same exact thing.

At my house, it was like Christmas when there was a Saturday Night Main Event, especially if Hulk Hogan was wrasslin. Those were the days..... wrasslin now sucks.

Dungeons & Dragons

saved by the bell

wasn't there a game show like double dare on saturday mornings?

bozo the clown was my weekday wakerupper :unsure:

(rocky & bullwinkle and underdog were favorite shorts on bozo)

Kroft Super Stars :(

Hanna-Barbera~ (The Really-Rottens) :thumbsdown:

Flinstones

Mighty Mouse

Deputy Dog

When I was about five or six, every Sunday morning after Sunday School my best friend and I would watch WWF on USA followed by Kung Fu theatre and proceed to beat the living crap out of each other.

Good times. :rolleyes:

M.A.S.K

Centurians (I think)

Thundercats (I had the lunchbox)

He-Man (Shira baby)

Transformers

Gummy Bears (bouncing here and there and everywhere)

Wuzzles

Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers (the chick chipmunk was hot)

Inspector Gadget (go go gadget)

I win!

Yeah, I remember that guy! He was cool.

and yup, how could I forget: "CAPTAIN CAAAAAAVE MAAAAAAN!!!"

- One that hasn't been mentioned: HONG KONG FOOEY!!

- funny, funny shiot. :rolleyes:

Every episode of Space Ghost was the same.

Space Ghost gets captured and they take away his power bands. The kids come to rescue him and get captured as well. They monkey comes to save them and suddenly the three of them remember they can turn invisible. They escape, return Space Ghost's power bands, and he clobbers the bad guys.

Same with Thundercats

Not until they are completely focked does Lion-o think "hey, I've got this kick-ass sword, maybe that will help"

H.R. PUFNSTUF. :dunno:

Nike just came out with a shoe called H.R PUFNSTUF's

My cat was named Chaka when I was a kid. That was my favorite show too. :)

My second favorite show was KIDS INCORPORATED :dunno:

Anyone remember the show "Ultra Man" it was some Jap godzilla like show.

During the week i used to get up extra early just to watch Battle of the Planets.

After school it was Woody Woodpecker & The Transformers, Voltron (both kinds) etc

Saturdays were the best though:

Bugs & Daffy

Dungeons & Dragons (Sheila :D)

Kung Fu Theatre

old Godzilla movies

Kroft Supershow

Spiderman & his Amazing Friends (I wanted to be Iceman to be with Firestar :D)

All while eating like 6 bowls of Honey Nut Cheerios. Those were the days.

Actually, who am I kidding. Those are still the days. I always flip on the Cartoon Network first thing when i get home. :dunno: