Sign in to follow this  
Mack 1

Homer Mock Draft - ** DISCUSSION THREAD **

OMG we are going to have to wait for clash? This could take a while. He might fit us in late tonight. Come on clash. Cleveland is the 3rd pick, keep up.

CLASH!!!!!!

:banana: :banana: :dunno:

:banana:

While his upside could be limitless, Russell reminds me of Akili Smith. Some amazin measurables but it just didn't add up to NFL quality. Just saying....

And there goes Peterson...to the Cards. I like this pick with Gold Toof getting up there in age. How much money will the Cards have tied up in RB's now?

If the Browns do go QB, I expect it to be Quinn, not Russel. :dunno:

They might be looking for someone to make plays in the non traditional way like Vick or Young. Lord knows their running attack (bc of o-line) hasn't done a hell of alot in the past few years. Quinn might be stepping into a situation like Carr by getting sacked relentlessly. Therefore the need of a Russel :dunno:

If the Browns do go QB, I expect it to be Quinn, not Russel. :dunno:

I agree.

In today's NFL, you don't have to be a great QB, you just have to avoid the big mistakes and make some plays when it counts the most. That's been proven.

Out of the last 20 or so Super Bowl winners, only three had QBs who'd be considered journeymen or average QBs: Brad Johnson, Dilfer, and Hostetler.

Those three teams had one thing in common: superior defenses. So if a team DOESN'T have a great QB, they'd better have players around him to make up for his lack of talent, but as we all know, Matt Mildew is incapable of doing that.

Which brings me back to the need for a franchise QB, which many feel Russell can be.

Out of the last 20 or so Super Bowl winners, only three had QBs who'd be considered journeymen or average QBs: Brad Johnson, Dilfer, and Hostetler.

Those three teams had one thing in common: superior defenses. So if a team DOESN'T have a great QB, they'd better have players around him to make up for his lack of talent, but as we all know, Matt Mildew is incapable of doing that.

Which brings me back to the need for a franchise QB, which many feel Russell can be.

Chandler

Gannon

Delhomme

McNair

Roethlisburger

Hasselbeck

These are all QBs of the last 10 years that have played in the Super Bowl and I wouldn't necessarily call these the greatest of their time. Most of the time they were efficient and made plays when needed but I'd hardly call these guys HOFers. To be fair, some of them haven't completed their careers but it's obvious that you can get to the Super Bowl if you have the surrounding cast and a Qb who doesn't make the crucial mistake.

...it's obvious that you can get to the Super Bowl if you have the surrounding cast...

That's my whole point, and the Lions haven't had a supporting cast around any of their stars since Bobby Layne.

I'm not sure if peterson is a major need for arizona they did just get edge last year... though he didn't do great. But it does fist with arizona's strategy of picking best of what is there at that slot.

I was hoping for either Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas at 1.4 but obviously that didn't happen. I chose Gaines Adams since he's the highest rated defender on the board, although I would have liked to have traded down and chosen Amobi Okoye, for whom Jon Gruden has mad manlove, along with another high pick to help shore up our needs at LT/WR/DE/CB/LB depth/QB. I thought about choosing Brady Quinn since Gruden likes to stockpile the QB's, but after signing Simms and Garcia to $5mil+ deals each, I couldn't see tying up 1st round money into another QB <_<

WELL.........as expected it came down to a decision between the freakish abilities of jamarcus russell and the power running of adrian peterson and brady quinn.......i choose russell because i think he is the best athlete in this draft outside of calvin johnson,......i feel his overall skill set of being able to make every throw on a football field will translate to success at this level as a franchise qb he can fit the ball into really tight spots and can throw pretty accurately on the run...i think the young man came of age in the college game in november of 2005 in lsu's OT win over my beloved 'Bama...i watched him make tough throw after throw with pressure & guys hanging all over him in the biggest game of his fledgling career at the time.... he'll be a good pro and a franchise qb is something the brown have been lacking for so long in the NFL...reminds me of duante culpepper

in the real life draft i think russell goes certainly in the top 2 picks leaving the browns to draft quinn/thomas or peterson.......i think quinn is a little too high here...i like him overall but feel he is too erratic under pressure from what i have seen of him...especially in the lsu-nd bowl game.... reminds me of david carr...peterson is solid as well but i worry about his injury history......would fit right in line with the browns since they seem to be cursed drafting injury prone players....i'm just not a big fan of careers of upright running backs....i like joe thomas but not enough to see him go at #2....loved the calvin johnson pick at #1

praise or flame away! :thumbsdown:

well, I'm off to a BBQ, and will be checking back in at about 8:30-9:00 PM CA time, so please do not skip me.

Not that it'll be my pick (Niners), but stranger things have happened. Surprised to only see 5 or 6 picks today. :dunno:

well, I'm off to a BBQ, and will be checking back in at about 8:30-9:00 PM CA time, so please do not skip me.

Not that it'll be my pick (Niners), but stranger things have happened. Surprised to only see 5 or 6 picks today. :dunno:

Where is VA Terp??? His Redskins pick has been "on-the-clock" for 4 hours or so. I wonder if he forgot about the mock draft... :dunno:

I can't believe we only got 5 picks done today. Between the Lions' pick and this Redskins' pick, we really hit a couple of snags early on. Hopefully, tomorrow will go somewhat faster...

Don't like the Thomas pick at 2, you gotta go with the best player - Russel. Lions have so many needs it's true but you can't pass up a potential franchise QB. Let him learn under Kitna, Lions aren't not gonna do anything this season anyway.

I don't like them trading down to get more picks, how many impact players are you gonna get in 2nd, 3rd rounds (especially with Lions history of picks)? How many teams have built a franchise around an OL?

That's my whole point, and the Lions haven't had a supporting cast around any of their stars since Bobby Layne.

So we are agreeing that if the Lions improve the supporting cast, a QB wouldn't be as big of a priority then. :dunno:

Bottomline for me is that they must improve the O-line. Any Qb you bring in just won't cut it until you gain some stability there. Not now, not ever. Thomas could be that 10 year pro bowler that you could put an average QB behind and get above average results with if you find a way to protect him. The Bengals improved their O-line before adding Carson Palmer. He was only sacked 21 times in his 1st year as a starter. Protecting your Qb has got to be a priority before you invest the money in one.

My. 02

How many teams have built a franchise around an OL?

How many teams have won anything without an offensive line that's worth a damn? The teams that give up fewer sacks make the playoffs. In fact, 8 of the top 11 teams at surrending sacks, did just that in 06. It all starts with OL play.

Have we picked yet :thumbsdown: . Damn topic title will be on 2nd page at this rate. Vaterp takes ....BYPASSME with the 6th overall pick. Bypass is a multidiminsional player with an incredible 40 speed. He can throw like vick, run like Peyton, has man titties like Clarrett, and hits others hard in the face like Porter. He has team chemistry like TO and is as motivated as Moss. His only downside is.....HIS COACH VATERP WON'T PLAY HIM :wall:

Don't like the Thomas pick at 2, you gotta go with the best player - Russel. Lions have so many needs it's true but you can't pass up a potential franchise QB. Let him learn under Kitna, Lions aren't not gonna do anything this season anyway.

I don't like them trading down to get more picks, how many impact players are you gonna get in 2nd, 3rd rounds (especially with Lions history of picks)? How many teams have built a franchise around an OL?

how can you not like an offensive lineman and love russell? he was weighing in at tackle weight before the combine, reportedly (and was still fat at the combine). and that doesn't concern you? how old are you? don't you recall rocket-arm ware? yeah, wayne touched his happy spot over that big arm, too.

the lions could probably play russell at lt while he learned the ropes behind kitna. but instead of doing that, just draft thomas and pick up a young qb later who has better metabolism :thumbsdown:

Guess I'll come back in 3 days to check on the Cowboys pick. LOL. Just kidding. Interesting picks so far.

I can definitely see Calvin Johnson at No. 1. I like Joe Thomas at No. 2, but who knows what Millen will do. I can see Cleveland going Brady Quinn at 3 over JaMarcus Russell, but, boy, have to wonder what that would do for Russell. I guess same is said now for Quinn. How far will the drop go? Probably not past Minnesota I'm guessing.

Have we picked yet :banana: . Damn topic title will be on 2nd page at this rate. Vaterp takes ....BYPASSME with the 6th overall pick. Bypass is a multidiminsional player with an incredible 40 speed. He can throw like vick, run like Peyton, has man titties like Clarrett, and hits others hard in the face like Porter. He has team chemistry like TO and is as motivated as Moss. His only downside is.....HIS COACH VATERP WON'T PLAY HIM :banana:

:lol:

At this rate, we'll be making our Titans' pick sometime around next Tuesday... :cry:

At this rate, we'll be making our Titans' pick sometime around next Tuesday... :banana:

Well there is no reason for fumbleweed to pin the other one. Picks aren't happening fast enough. Gotta love my boy from Oklahoma though - Thanks Fumbleweed.

Fumble - where is Peterson going to end up? Scratch that, where would you like him to end up?

I didn't realize how long this would take and I'm going away from Thursday until Sunday afternoon. I won't have any internet connection so I'll need another Jets representative to step into my place. I'll be able to draft up until Thursday morning, but after that, I can't be here. Just giving the heads up.

I didn't realize how long this would take and I'm going away from Thursday until Sunday afternoon. I won't have any internet connection so I'll need another Jets representative to step into my place. I'll be able to draft up until Thursday morning, but after that, I can't be here. Just giving the heads up.

That's cool, I'll cover for you. Give me a list of three or four players and I can choose from that.

I'll be at Foxwoods Thursday night....I won a free entry into a 20 person tourney yesterday. Hopefully, I won't be here Friday as well, because that will mean I came in the top two and won an entry to the next level tourney on Friday, plus a free dinner and overnight accommodations.

:shocking: :pointstosky: :thumbsup:

Most likely I'll be here on Friday, but there is a chance, right?

That's cool, I'll cover for you. Give me a list of three or four players and I can choose from that.

Ok thanks. I'll give you a list as we approach Thursday if my pick is not yet up.

1 - I don't like the pick of Peterson to the Cards.

2 - As far as the argument of Franchise QBs vs Franchise LTs, well, I'd rather have the franchise LT.

i personally don't see it as an argument of franchise QB vs franchise LT. i see it as which is more likely to become that superstar at his respective position.

it seems to me much more likely that J.Thomas becomes a franchise LT, than J.Russell or B.Quinn becoming superstar QB. They both have the potential of course, but much more questions surround them than do J.Thomas at the next level.

Skins wont TAKE Alan Branch

he work ethic is questionable, while Okoye is 19, a better prospect, and won't get "high" off his money and be a great leader.

:doublethumbsup:

he work ethic is questionable, while Okoye is 19, a better prospect, and won't get "high" off his money and be a great leader.

:thumbsdown:

I know the Skins prolly wont take Branch but this is a mock where I signed up to make the pick.

I would have done all I could to trade down and acquire some other 1st day picks since we dont have any others but trades werent allowed. Okoye at #6 is too much of a reach. Yeah, he is only 19 but most scouts would rate Branch as having the higher ceiling as a player. Also, Okoe is 6'2 287. Yes, he will gain weight but we already have similar style DT's on the roster in Griffin and Colston.

Branch is in the 6'5 330 range and is remarkably athletic for a man his size. I saw him in person at the Michigan-Notre Dame game and he dominated the line of scrimmage. There are some questions about his work ethic and taking plays off and if I were a real NFL Gm with access to personal interviews, talking to coaches, etc. then maybe I change my mind but Im going with the most dominant athlete.

The real decision for me was between Branch and Jamaal Anderson. DE is probably more of a need for the Skins than DT but Im just not sold on Anderson at this point. Something about a guy who has gone from 207 lbs to 288 lbs in 3 years but still benched pressed less than Brady Quinn doesnt quite seem right. More of a concern is the fact that despite his prowess as a pass rusher he has problems disengaging from blocks and can be handled rather easily once stonger tackles get a hold of him.

I went with Branch because we need D-Linemen and I think Branch is the best overall DL in the draft. He is a space eater who will occupy blockers to free our new 32 year old MLB to make plays. He is also a tremendous athlete who can collaspe the pocket and maybe allow Andre Carter and our other DE's to make some plays. Note to Carter: Its okay to make a few plays during an NFL game.

Pass rush is great and all but IMO the key to big time D's is stopping the run. We still need another edge rusher but the last game of the season saw Tiki Barber carving us up to the tune of 234 yards.

Branch is the best run stopper in the draft, has the highest ceiling of any DL in the draft, and is the most dominant athlete at his position.

:thumbsdown:

I agree that Okoye has the potential to be a phenomenal player; but, personally, I think Branch is a pretty safe pick. He's a legit run-stuffer and he's super-athletic (ran something like a 5.1 at 325 lbs.--which is unreal).

I think the Redskins only have one pick on day one of the draft, so they better make it count.

IMO the Jets made huge strides this year and much of it was because of their Oline. Adding DBrick and Mangold was huge.

I know the Skins prolly wont take Branch but this is a mock where I signed up to make the pick.

I would have done all I could to trade down and acquire some other 1st day picks since we dont have any others but trades werent allowed. Okoye at #6 is too much of a reach. Yeah, he is only 19 but most scouts would rate Branch as having the higher ceiling as a player. Also, Okoe is 6'2 287. Yes, he will gain weight but we already have similar style DT's on the roster in Griffin and Colston.

Branch is in the 6'5 330 range and is remarkably athletic for a man his size. I saw him in person at the Michigan-Notre Dame game and he dominated the line of scrimmage. There are some questions about his work ethic and taking plays off and if I were a real NFL Gm with access to personal interviews, talking to coaches, etc. then maybe I change my mind but Im going with the most dominant athlete.

The real decision for me was between Branch and Jamaal Anderson. DE is probably more of a need for the Skins than DT but Im just not sold on Anderson at this point. Something about a guy who has gone from 207 lbs to 288 lbs in 3 years but still benched pressed less than Brady Quinn doesnt quite seem right. More of a concern is the fact that despite his prowess as a pass rusher he has problems disengaging from blocks and can be handled rather easily once stonger tackles get a hold of him.

I went with Branch because we need D-Linemen and I think Branch is the best overall DL in the draft. He is a space eater who will occupy blockers to free our new 32 year old MLB to make plays. He is also a tremendous athlete who can collaspe the pocket and maybe allow Andre Carter and our other DE's to make some plays. Note to Carter: Its okay to make a few plays during an NFL game.

Pass rush is great and all but IMO the key to big time D's is stopping the run. We still need another edge rusher but the last game of the season saw Tiki Barber carving us up to the tune of 234 yards.

Branch is the best run stopper in the draft, has the highest ceiling of any DL in the draft, and is the most dominant athlete at his position.

good message. I think the DE situation will get better once we have someone eho can pressure the QB from inside.

I'm hoping Petersono drops to us and we trade with Buffalo and still grab Okoye. but solid pick for a mock draft - so I get emotional bout out 1 pick :cheers:

good message. I think the DE situation will get better once we have someone eho can pressure the QB from inside.

I'm hoping Petersono drops to us and we trade with Buffalo and still grab Okoye. but solid pick for a mock draft - so I get emotional bout out 1 pick :rolleyes:

I understand your POV. I like Okoye as a prospect but I just think that if we are gonna go DT we need a BIG NASTY. Someone in the John Henderson, Kris Jenkins mold.

Branch certainly has legitimate red flags. Its never good to have your motor questioned and he reportedly looked out of shape at Michigan's pro day after a solid showing at the combine. But you never know how young guys will respond to being professional athletes and everything that comes with it. I would hope for the best with Branch.

But Im with you, trade down, trade down, trade down is what the Skins should be trying to do. I dont think their wed to any of the prospects that will be their at #6. Might as well trade down and pick up a 2nd or 3rd rounder in the process.

it seems to me that people are getting a little over-whelmed by Okoye's age and story. i think he is a good prospect, but not a great one. people are a little too wrapped up in his potential (which is still so far off will he even be on the same team once in his prime?). yes it is astounding that he played well at his age in D1. Branch seems like a much better DT right now, and in the next 3 years. if his interviews went well enough, i would much rather have him than Okoye purely from a player standpoint, not as a person or potential.

Anybody seen Vikings4ever??? His pick is "on-the-clock"...

I was really hoping that today's picks would go by faster than yesterday, but it's looking like another slooooow day...

:dunno:

Sorry for the delay. :blink:

Vikings seriously lacked a pass rush from the front 4 last year, a major feature of the Cover/Tampa 2. Anderson can get to the QB, and is big enough to be a factor in the run game also. Obviously WR is a need, but after Calvin Johnson, none are worth the 7th pick.

Quinn is also a possibility, but after drafting Tarvaris Jackson in the second last year, I don't think they go QB here.