Sign in to follow this  
TD Ryan2

Jason Whitlock *columnn of the year*

Boston Sports Radio mentioned Whitlock's commentary this morning.

Bravo to Whitlock. He's nailed it.

Linnk to Article

Posted on Wed, Apr. 11, 2007

Imus isn’t the real bad guy

Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.

By JASON WHITLOCK

Columnist

Thank you, Don Imus. You’ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You’ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You’ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it’s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again.

While we’re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I’m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent’s or Snoop Dogg’s or Young Jeezy’s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain’t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don’t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It’s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

I’m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn’t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should’ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it’s only the beginning. It’s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we’re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers’ wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don’t listen or watch Imus’ show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it’s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they’re suckers for pursuing education and that they’re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I’ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is — a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you’re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There’s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out.

I'm not a big fan of Whitlock but I have always respected his passion about a subject. Also, I have oft found that he brought home good points (whether I wanted to hear them or not). Great job here.

:banana:

Yup. That pretty much sums it up. I wish he & Sharpton could have a nationally televised debate for like 5 hours on the subject.

UNCLE TOM! :ninja:

Just kidding.

Do you think Whitlock has an extra large keyboard? If not, how does he manage to hit fewer than 10 keys at a time? :banana:

What an excellent article. While he never gives Imus a pass, he certainly gets down to the point. Imus is a nothing while the real problems of this world are overlooked.

Two Thumbs Up :banana:

good thing he's not a white guy, otherwise he'd be next up against the wall.

good thing he's not a white guy, otherwise he'd be next up against the wall.

true.

but that goes back to the idea of "police your own".

Whether it's the Catholics, African Americans, Arabs, etc... noone wants others to call them out or "police" them. No matter how much involvement there is from "outsiders", until the group/race/country/etc decides to fix things for themselves, there is no hope.

after I read this column, I thought to myself, "debate over. issue over. THIS is the definitive answer here."

Sums it up pretty darn well.

Black leaders in this country give an out-of-control hip-hop culture a free pass on just about everything. Until they stop doing that, they should just keep quiet and be ashamed of themselves.

This is the best article that I have read on this subject; undoubtedly, it will remain the best. :thumbsup:

Good article. I completely agree with his assessment of Imus's status before these comments. Imus is a used up hack of a jock who no one should care what he says.

While he is correct, it does not follow the "prty line", so it will unfortunately be ignored by those who need it most. :thumbsup:

Good article. I completely agree with his assessment of Imus's status before these comments. Imus is a used up hack of a jock who no one should care what he says.

Whitlock apparently cares about what Imus says about him:

"He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN."

Just not what he says about others.

Absolutely perfect. Well written and spoken from the heart.

It's too bad a white person couldn't get away with putting those words in a newspaper.

Can you imagine the outrage if Bob Ryan had written that? :wall:

you racists just like this article cause its takes the blame away from whitey and puts its on other blacks

Absolutely perfect. Well written and spoken from the heart.

It's too bad a white person couldn't get away with putting those words in a newspaper.

:thumbsup:

I'm not much of a Whitlock fan, but this article is fantastic. :first:

great article!!

too bad the snoop dogg loving bruthas wont be able to read and understand that article :first:

That took a lot of guts to write. I hope someone doesn't put a cap in his ass...

I don’t listen or watch Imus’ show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it’s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they’re suckers for pursuing education and that they’re selling out their race if they do? When Imus does any of that, call me and I’ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is — a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you’re not looking to be made a victim.

That article is blatantly false...racism is real, people. We live in a racist nation.

You are a common sense lacking fool. Reading your posts makes my head hurt.

You are a common sense lacking fool. Reading your posts makes my head hurt.

I like your opinions on TRUTH...but everywhere else...you be clueless.

I agree with that. We black people need to work on that.

Or, here's a crazy thought--black people can find more than one thing unacceptable at a time. Like, geriatric national radio hosts hurling racial slurs as well as black gangsters spewing hate. And sure, its time to let this whole Imus story go. We all can agree to that. But to say "this is detracting from the real problem here" is just plain simple-minded. Like we only have one problem with race!

Free speech is not a one-way street. Any white person can say anything they want. Go ahead, use the n-word willy-nilly! Just be willing to take the free speech the free speech of a foot up your ass from the black guy standing next to you on the street.

I think so many of you have latched onto this because you identify with Imus and resent the constraints of what you have identified as "political correctness" that you feel prevent you from speaking your mind on sensitive issues in your regular lives. Cry me a river. But I've read this bored. Clearly, nothing is holding you back here. I maintain that many of the "mainstream" are too cowardly to wear your ignorance on your sleeve in your everyday lives and take your lumps as they come like Imus did.

No one is stopping anyone from saying anything. So on one thing-discussing racial issues-your Privileged White Male membership card has an exception clause.

Welcome to the club!

Ive always liked Whitlock, and his days on the Sports reporters, he has been talking about this for a while and I agree completely. :thumbsup:

Or, here's a crazy thought--black people can find more than one thing unacceptable at a time. Like, geriatric national radio hosts hurling racial slurs as well as black gangsters spewing hate. And sure, its time to let this whole Imus story go. We all can agree to that. But to say "this is detracting from the real problem here" is just plain simple-minded. Like we only have one problem with race!

Free speech is not a one-way street. Any white person can say anything they want. Go ahead, use the n-word willy-nilly! Just be willing to take the free speech the free speech of a foot up your ass from the black guy standing next to you on the street.

I think so many of you have latched onto this because you identify with Imus and resent the constraints of what you have identified as "political correctness" that you feel prevent you from speaking your mind on sensitive issues in your regular lives. Cry me a river. But I've read this bored. Clearly, nothing is holding you back here. I maintain that many of the "mainstream" are too cowardly to wear your ignorance on your sleeve in your everyday lives and take your lumps as they come like Imus did.

No one is stopping anyone from saying anything. So on one thing-discussing racial issues-your Privileged White Male membership card has an exception clause.

Welcome to the club!

You miss the point. Nothing Imus said is causing any of the hardships experienced by African Americans, yet they're totally up in arms. Yet, I've not read one African American condemn Jesse Jackson for his words about the Duke Lacrosse players he so quickly condemned last year or for the fact that he hasn't apologized now that they've been proven innocent. At least Imus apologized. And that's the problem.

Can't both of these things be wrong at the same time?

Sure, but the point is that instead of crucifying a guy for making an off color comment that he shouldn't have made, African Americans need to start focusing their energy on the real problems facing their race. What Imus said will have ZERO impact on solving the problems of African Americans, either positively or negatively. So we can run around and have protests and ask for his head or we can acknowledge the real problems and try to solve those. Is firing Imus going to have any positive effect on the state of the African American community? Would less single mothers on welfare? You decide which is more important and worthy of discussion and action. And that's what this column is saying, and I agree with that.

Of course. Then again, I don't know what you mean by "both". If it is Strike's comment about the Duke lacrosse players, I'll stand by his comments. If it is the general gangsta attitude of the black community... still waiting to hear Sharpton et. al.'s response. TIA.

Welcome to the club!

Carrie, with due respect to your unique insight in this case, I think you are missing what Mr. Whitlock is saying. Very few people within the African American community command a bully pulpit the way that Rev. Sharpton and Rev. Jackson do. I believe Mr. Whitlock is merely pointing out that it’s a shame they only use it to identify white vs. black issues. I don't think this article is so much a cry for the white society to have equal bigotry grounds as black society when it comes to African American sociological commentary but rather a desperate plea for black leaders to take a more vocal role in leading there people past the obstacles that most obtrusively block their rise to equality. Now if you are saying that white discrimination against blacks is the number one limiting factor in black cultural and societal advancement then that is another discussion. However, don't mistake Mr. Whitlock’s comments as simply, "black society can't focus on more than one agenda", his point, I believe, is to take a shot across the bow of the established black leaders to get off their lazy and typical high horse and fight the bigger issues of today, poverty and education, {or smoking} with the same vigor they fought segregation and other Jim Crowe laws of the past. Perhaps that isn't a fight designed for Rev.'s Jackson or Sharpton, but if it's not maybe some new leaders should be the voice of outrage.

I don't think anyone, Whitlock included, is saying that what Imus said isn't wrong. The point, though, is that no one should really give a rat's ass about what Imus said. He's no one and he's an idiot.