Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Who are you voting for in '08

Slow day at work and I could kill a few hours.

This could change, but right now I'd vote for Obama sooner than any other candidate. I need to learn more about his domestic policies, because I suspect he's going to be further to the left than I'm comfortable with and I want to make sure he's not too liberal. I've been consistently impressed with his opinions on foreign policy and unlike every other candidate who has a shot at winning, Obama actually seems to answer the tough questions and has a grip on what he's talking about. I get the sense that most of these guys (McCain, Giuliani, Hillary, etc.) don't even believe the crap they're saying. I also like the fact that he's a relative newcomer and not continuing the Bush/Clinton legacy or spouting the general Democratic party line. Still a lot of time to change my mind, but right now I'd lean toward him I guess.

No other serious candidate really impresses me at all. Hillary is a panderer, she's not any different than most GOP candidates on Iraq, and a Pres. Hillary guarantees another 4+ years of extreme partisan fighting in Washington. I'd like a clean break from all that. John Edwards doesn't impress me at all - I don't like his policies, I don't like the way he campaigns, and his wife needs to STFU. The field of Republican candidates is really poor. Of the bunch, I guess I'd vote for Romney because I suspect he's a social moderate and he'd be a reasonable counterbalance to what will likely be a Democratic Congress. John McCain has no credibility whatsoever and zero shot at winning. Fred Thompson cracks me up - he is utterly unqualified but some Republicans have convinced themselves he's the reincarnation of Reagan or something. His campaign hasn't even gotten off the ground.

The worst candidate out there IMO is Rudy Giuliani. Aside from just flat out not being qualified to become President, he wasn't even particularly well liked as mayor, he's overstated his involvement in 9/11 emergency response and spent the past 6 years milking it for all the cash he could get, and his foreign policy stance and attitude toward the Constitution and the rule of law is even more ignorant and belligerent than Bush. Rudy is maybe the only candidate who would get me to vote for Hillary Clinton.

My two cents.

i like duncan hunter

but he doesnt have the name recognition nor the fundraising capability. maybe he'll get the nod for VP :overhead:

You think Thompson and Giuliani are unqualified yet would vote for Obama?

Currently, im on the anyone except Hillary bandwagon.

same as 92, 96, 2000 and 2004.

NO ONE! :overhead:

You think Thompson and Giuliani are unqualified yet would vote for Obama?

You've got me on that. I guess it's not really the experience with Fred and Rudy, so much as I think Fred is a media creation and Rudy is sort of crazy and a low character person.

Giuliani :overhead:

Right now I'm leaning towards Giuliani.

While he may be overstating his involvement in 9/11, I think that as Mayor he did a great job in the immediate aftermath. In a crisis I like to have some semblance of confidence in the POTUS.

I was having this discussion w/a buddy of mine the other day and he was saying how Giuliani is a one-trick pony. He's probably correct, but right now his one trick is better than the no tricks that I see in the rest of the field.

Right now I'm leaning towards Giuliani.

While he may be overstating his involvement in 9/11, I think that as Mayor he did a great job in the immediate aftermath. In a crisis I like to have some semblance of confidence in the POTUS.

I was having this discussion w/a buddy of mine the other day and he was saying how Giuliani is a one-trick pony. He's probably correct, but right now his one trick is better than the no tricks that I see in the rest of the field.

What scares me about Giuliani is that like Bush, he's known as an authoritarian bully. That might work on a smaller scale in NYC but I think it'd be bad for the country. I see him extending and even being worse than Bush so far as declaring that he can imprison and torture citizens or maintain huge databases of info on them and pretty much wiping his ass with the U.S. Constitution. His foreign policy is also totally ignorant in the same way as Bush - he conflates all of our enemies with "Islamic terrorism" like it's one huge army we're fighting, I'm sure he'd be angling for war in Iran, and doesn't seem to have learned a thing from GWB's collosal blunder in Iraq.

Bush has been such a bad president, I'm in no hurry to elect a guy who's going to continue the same policies.

You've got me on that. I guess it's not really the experience with Fred and Rudy, so much as I think Fred is a media creation and Rudy is sort of crazy and a low character person.

Could we just elect Fred to be the president's speaker? Id much rather hear him give a speech than Bush.

With a gun to my head I'd have to say Obama right now, but mostly because I'm completely unimpressed with the GOP group and can't see voting for Hillary. Things really need to flesh out a little.

I was a little intrigued when the Thompson talk first started, but so far I've just heard more of the same out of him. They had a soundbite from him this morning on GMA at a NotaCampaignYetButMaybeSomeTimeInTheFuture stop where he said "Some people think if we just pull out of Iraq all our problems will be solved... " It's fine to disagree with whether or not we should pull out of Iraq, but no one thinks "all our problems will be solved" by doing so. It's simply a "lesser of two evils" position for most people I think. I know this statement is completely typical of things that are said from both sides of the aisle, but I want to vote for a candidate who doesn't need to resort to this kind of silly rhetoric to make his case.

Ron Paul - if not Ron....

Obama - if not Obama....

Rudy - if not Rudy....

well, basically, anybody but Clinton.

MDC: If Hillary Clinton and Fred Thompson are the 2 candidates, who gets your vote?

Bullet to the head?

MDC: If Hillary Clinton and Fred Thompson are the 2 candidates, who gets your vote?

That's tough. I'd have to know more about Fred Thompson's foreign policy. I doubt he'll get the nomination.

Bullet to the head?

Not an option, edjr.

The deal is: you get to choose between Fred and Hillary; there are no third party candidates; you can't renounce your US citizenship; you can't leave the country, you can't kill yourself or commit a felony; and you have to vote.

Who gets the pick, and why?

P.S. MDC seems to be inclined to vote for Fred...

I was trying to decide whether my choice would be Hillary or a 3rd party. I'd "throw my vote away" on the libertarians or greens if I was convinced Fred isn't a big threat. If Fred turns out to be another GWB fantasyland neocon, I'd probably hold my nose and vote for Billary.

I don't think the American people are going to elect Hillary or Obama and it has nothing to do with their politics.

Id consider this an intelligent democratic posting MDC. Congrats.... usually (us republicans included) its just a bunch of crap. Its nice you see you admit you dont know everything about every condidate because I think im in the same boat still (along with most people). I agree the republican lot stinks... the guys I like the most really dont have much a shot. I think Guliani sorta sucks too, way overrated because of 9/11. On the flip side, I think democrats have a problem as well. Hillary and Obama are the frontrunners... and unfortuantely I have a hard time seeing either of them win. Mostly because I have a hard time seeing a woman or a black guy win. Not trying to be racist/sexist, I think thats irrelevant.... but a lot of people might not be sold on it. I agree with most of what Fred Thompson says.... but Im still waiting for him to sell me. I dont know, is it just me or does it seem theres no republican candidate that is what most reps want.... and theres no democratic candidate taht most dems want. Kinda lame.

Not an option, edjr.

The deal is: you get to choose between Fred and Hillary; there are no third party candidates; you can't renounce your US citizenship; you can't leave the country, you can't kill yourself or commit a felony; and you have to vote.

Who gets the pick, and why?

Well.. if these are the options, they are much better than the options in 04. I don't know much about Fred Thompson, what is he for?

I really don't know enough about Obama, but the appeal of a 'clean break' is compelling on its own.

Agree with what you've said about Hillary and others.

What do you not like about Edwards? He seems to be the best of the Dem bunch.

Nobody...does anyone really think that these people give a crap about joe blow....just a clue for you.....they don't!

And sadly, I think the race is over quite frankly.

It ain't about quality or ideas anymore, it's about cash, organization & appearance.

On the Dem side, Hillary's got a ton of both of the first two. She's basically buying votes.

On the Repub side, I've predicated all along that Fred Thompson will get it. Too many people are longing for the (largely overrated) fantasy days of Ronal Reagan. They're sick of seeing some half-wit mangle the english language in front of the whole world. Nobody 'looks' or sounds more presidential than Fred Thompson.

If Fred doesn't get it, it's because he blew it big time.

Then, when it comes down to Fred vs. Clinton, too many people (including me) can't stand Hillary, so Fred gets the gig.

Ron Paul ® - Texas

Why?

*Get out of Iraq

-Was opposed to it BEFORE we went in (1 of four R's that voted against it in 2002)

*HUNT DOWN OSAMA BIN LADEN

*Drastically cut the tax burden on the American People

*Change America's Foreign Policy to non-intervention, but keep trade lines open with all nations

*Cut Welfare State

*END Illegal Immigration

*NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS

*Immigration Policy Reform

*Allow younger citizens the option to get out of Social Security and defer retirment to privatizations (untaxed 401k's, etc)

*Free Market Economy

*Abolish the Patriot Act, Military Commissions Act

*Repeal Roe vs Wade, although allow State Government to decide if it's legal or not, not Federal Government

*End Entitlement System

*Run Government based on the Constitution

These are things he's been saying for over 30 years, very much like Ronald Reagan did.

He and Ronald Reagan were good friends, long before he was President, and Ron Paul was one of 4 Congressman to endorse Ronald Reagan in 1976 for the 1980 Election.

He also has more Campaign Funds than John McCain and easily has the largest internet support of any candidate, Republican or Democrat.

Here's an exerpt of what he says today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfIhFhelm8

This is an interview of his principles in 1988.

10 Term Congressman from Texas

His Voting Record is impeccable

He has never voted to raise taxes.

He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.

He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.

He has never voted to raise congressional pay.

He has never taken a government-paid junket.

He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.

He voted against regulating the Internet.

He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.

He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

i've no idea yet, the field doesn't look promising from either side. i do know for sure it will not be mccain or hillary - other than that i'm willing to give all a fair shake.

What do you not like about Edwards?

I don't really dislike Edwards but I can't think of any reasons to vote for him. He's running on a really dull populist platform that seems kind of dated to me. I think his wife seems like a great lady but I think she's hurting his campaign. Edwards is already fighting the pretty boy image, using his wife as an attack dog doesn't help.

Edwards is just sort of boring. :blink:

Ron Paul ® - Texas

Why?

*Get out of Iraq

-Was opposed to it BEFORE we went in (1 of four R's that voted against it in 2002)

*Drastically cut the tax burden on the American People

*Change America's Foreign Policy to non-intervention, but keep trade lines open with all nations

*Cut Welfare State

*END Illegal Immigration

*NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS

*Immigration Policy Reform

*Allow younger citizens the option to get out of Social Security and defer retirment to privatizations (untaxed 401k's, etc)

*Free Market Economy

*Abolish the Patriot Act, Military Commissions Act

*Repeal Roe vs Wade, although allow State Government to decide if it's legal or not, not Federal Government

*End Entitlement System

*Run Government based on the Constitution

These are things he's been saying for over 30 years, very much like Ronald Reagan did.

He and Ronald Reagan were good friends, long before he was President, and Ron Paul was one of 4 Congressman to endorse Ronald Reagan in 1976 for the 1980 Election.

He also has more Campaign Funds than John McCain and easily has the largest internet support of any candidate, Republican or Democrat.

Here's an exerpt of what he says today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfIhFhelm8

This is an interview of his principles in 1988.

10 Term Congressman from Texas

His Voting Record is impeccable

He has never voted to raise taxes.

He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.

He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.

He has never voted to raise congressional pay.

He has never taken a government-paid junket.

He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.

He voted against regulating the Internet.

He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.

He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

:blink:

I dont know, is it just me or does it seem theres no republican candidate that is what most reps want.... and theres no democratic candidate taht most dems want. Kinda lame.

DING DING DING!!! And that my friend is the problem with American politics today.

In their zeal for more votes all of the candidates try to appeal to the widest possible audience. However, the audience is extremely fractured in the sense that there are various competing interests among the potential voters.

This used to be a bigger problem for the Dems, as there was a wider spectrum of views to be found among those who identify themselves as Dems. The Reps used to have a more unified electorate, at least, as far as the big ticket issues were concerned. That has all changed over the past few years.

The problem is made all the more worse by the fact that those people at the extremes (left or right) are usually the loudest, even though they are also usually the minority. The candidates then allow their quest for votes to be drastically influenced by the vocal minorities, which then makes the rest of the voters feel left out in the cold.

In the end, the candidates end up with a Franken-message, which makes nobody happy.

first obama then i decided hillary now i'm back to obama

I kinda like Obama, but I just cannot see your typical Joe Shmoe voting for a black guy. Just can't see it. Not yet.

Same with Hillary (woman). Not yet. I can't stand the woman personally.

I like Thompson, but want to learn more about him. Romney is ok, a little fake, but what president isn't? He sure speaks and presents himself well, which would be a welcomed change. Ditto for Thompson. McCain, Guliani, Edwards....meh.

I am intrigued by Paul.

If voting today, it would come down to Thompson or Paul.

first obama then i decided hillary now i'm back to obama

That's quite a shocker. Color me surprised!

You mean, if you were a good role model for your children and registered to vote?

I plan to register.

I will be voting next year.

HTH.

Thanks for being concerned over my children's well being. Perhaps you should stop smoking so much pot and you can be a good role model too!!! (Pot DOES have an effect on your sperm quality, you know).

I kinda like Obama, but I just cannot see your typical Joe Shmoe voting for a black guy. Just can't see it. Not yet.

Same with Hillary (woman). Not yet. I can't stand the woman personally.

I have a little more respect for the average American. I don't think race or gender is the deciding factor for your typical Joe Schmoe, but rather the candidate's stance on the issues. Hillary will not have the excuse that she lost because she's a woman, but rather because her politics suck, and because she is personally repulsive to many Americans like you and I.