Sign in to follow this  
MLCKAA

09/11/2001 Where were you?

At the time, I worked in a 7 story building in downtown Indianapolis. I parked and was walking across the street on the private covered walkway when a co-worker named Glen stopped me and asked if I'd been listening to the news on my drive in. I told him I hadn't and he said that a plane had crashed into a building in NYC. It was about 9:00 EST. I guess at that point it wasn't evident everywhere that something deliberate and sinister was going down. I remember very precisely where I was when I got my first whiff of news about it.

I was sleeping, in East Boston, literally less than a mile from Logan Airport. My uncle called me to tell me to leave the city because we were being attacked. I got out of bed, started driving to his house in New Hampshire and there wasn't a single car in the tunnel, everyone had already left, it was the freakiest thing I had ever seen.

I was out of work, collecting, because the economy was already tanking and 9/11 just sealed our doom.

Sitting at my kitchen table, I had gotten up early because a pest guy was coming to take care of a bee hive in our wall. Wife woke up to the alarm a little later and came out half asleep, saying "a plane flew into the world trade center." Turned on the TV, saw the second plane. Bee guy showed, he hadn't heard. My boss was supposed to fly out for a customer meeting, I called him and said "I guess you aren't coming out." He hadn't heard either.

[gfiafp] rescuing people [/gfiafp]

[gfiafp] rescuing people [/gfiafp]

:lol:

I was in bed, it was around 6 AM Pacific when everything had started happening. My hubby was awake...and I can't remember if it was because he was working nights and had just gotten home, or what...but he woke me up and said a plane crashed into the WTC. This was right after it'd happened...so I got up watched the news, saw plance #2 hit the other tower.

I remember seeing the towers fall, and saying, "OMG...it fell down, look..." and he didn't believe me and kept saying, "No, it's just the smoke from the fire..." and I kept saying, "OMG, OMG...it's gone, it's gone..." and crying. It wsn't until Katie Couric or Matt Lauer said, "The tower has fallen down..." that he believed me.

Very sad day, although, I think it hits me harder now than it did back then. We'd only been married for about 2 months, no kids yet, etc.

At work, posting here at FFT, someone posted a thread titled "holy sh!t, someone just flew a plane into the wtc".....at which time I turned on the radio, some others in nearby offices did as well....it was not long after that that the second plane hit, and I got up....meandered out into the hallway....others did too, and we just kind of gaped at each other, up and down the hall.....unsure what to do or even say.....within a few minutes, everyone congregated in our open area near teh kitchen....no one spoke much, we more or less just looked at each other....

I called my wife, and we stayed on the phone for a long time, not saying much, but it was as close as we could be until I got home...

:lol:

I was in bed, it was around 6 AM Pacific when everything had started happening. My hubby was awake...and I can't remember if it was because he was working nights and had just gotten home, or what...but he woke me up and said a plane crashed into the WTC. This was right after it'd happened...so I got up watched the news, saw plance #2 hit the other tower.

I remember seeing the towers fall, and saying, "OMG...it fell down, look..." and he didn't believe me and kept saying, "No, it's just the smoke from the fire..." and I kept saying, "OMG, OMG...it's gone, it's gone..." and crying. It wsn't until Katie Couric or Matt Lauer said, "The tower has fallen down..." that he believed me.

Very sad day, although, I think it hits me harder now than it did back then. We'd only been married for about 2 months, no kids yet, etc.

I wonder how different things would have been if the towers had not collapsed...

At work near Dulles airport and posting at FFToday because the main sites (like CNN and MSNBC were getting hammered)...

There was a guy at the Pentagon who was in one of my grad school classes who died, I remember we were still peer-reviewing some of his work at the time....it was eerie

You're all freakin old.

I was in 7th grade, this was this class called AA(didn't see the humor back then) we had to take in between 2nd and 3rd period that lasted 15 minutes and we usually did nothing. One of my teachers came in and said "A plane crashed into the WTC" The students were like what is the WTC? Then they turned on the TV and we watched that, then went to 3rd period and watched. Parents kept pulling their kids out of school, and then at around 11 the a-hole principle made everyone turn off their TVs and continue to teach...like that was more important than what was going on.

Is it bad i can't name the airplanes that crashed into them?

getting dressed and ready to go into the office. was watching the coverage on the Today show - then saw the 2nd plane hit.........got to the office and it was crazy. nobody was working, all watching what televisions we had and our computer screens - pasted to the windows of our 28th floor view. the building security force was in full mode - totally surrounding the building and locking down as best they could. we kept hearing reports planes were coming to all cities and we didn't know whether to leave or not. then the towers started falling - it went quiet with a sickening feeling. ended up staying that day - but nobody worked a lick.

The wife and I flew back from Cancun the Sunday of 9/9.. Returning from our honeymoon.

Needless to say we were a little freaked out considering we just got off a plane 2 days before 9/11 happened.

The wife and I flew back from Cancun the Sunday of 9/9.. Returning from our honeymoon.

Needless to say we were a little freaked out considering we just got off a plane 2 days before 9/11 happened.

:P

I'd be freaked out as well if me and my wife did that to a plane.

:P

I'd be freaked out as well if me and my wife did that to a plane.

Shirley, you can't be serious.

Surfing perfect, 2 foot over head hurricane surf in Southern NJ. :dunno:

A friend of mine had left the beach to run home and take a sh!t. There was a current pulling us south, and he came back as I was walking back up the beach. He runs up to me and says, " A plane crashed into the WTC!" I'll never forget what I said. "Really? That sucks.....Are you going back out?" I just figured it was some moron in a single engine prop that got to close.

I surfed a little longer that had to go to work. The streets were empty and I listened to the chaos on the radio. Whe I got to my shop and turned the Tv on, the buildings were just falling.

I was at work and posting here with you guys. Man, hard to believe it's been 8 years.

I was at work and posting here with you guys. Man, hard to believe it's been 8 years.

Nice of you to stop in :mad:

I was sitting in my cubicle on the 26th floor of the Enron tower. The end of 2001 really sucked.

They just said the Coast Guard blew up 10 boats in the Potomac.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090911/ap_on_...st_guard_sept11

WASHINGTON – A Coast Guard training exercise in the Potomac River near the Pentagon sparked confusion amid Friday's commemorations of the Sept. 11 anniversary. FBI agents scrambled to the scene and the nearest airport briefly grounded flights.

Coast Guard Chief Keith Moore said no shots were fired as part of the exercise. But live CNN news reports said the Coast Guard had fired 10 rounds at a suspicious boat in the river, and showed vessels circling in the water — near the bridge President Barack Obama's motorcade crossed on the way to a memorial at the Pentagon Friday morning.

Departures from Reagan National Airport were halted as a precaution at 10:08 a.m., then resumed at 10:30 a.m., Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Diane Spitaliere said. The airport borders the Potomac.

Holding a training exercise, with live ammo being fired, on 9/11, in Washington? BRILLIANT! :mad:

I was working. They closed early because of it. I know it sounds mean and heartless, but it didn't impact me what-so-ever on a personal level. I had just gotten out of the military the month before, and I was concerned that I'd get called back into duty, so I was just crossing my fingers, hoping that I got left the hell alone. Maybe that's why I didn't have any personal/emotional reaction to it. My thoughts weren't about people losing their lives, or anything like that, my thoughts were "SON OF A ######, I BETTER NOT GET CALLED BACK IN BECAUSE OF THIS SHIT :mad:"

Now I just think it was the government/terrorists working together to push agendas, which makes me sad for our country, but I still have no emotional ties to that day. I wasn't affected in the least. Well, except for every time I fly I have to go through all the added security B.S. like everyone else.

I was working. They closed early because of it. I know it sounds mean and heartless, but it didn't impact me what-so-ever on a personal level. I had just gotten out of the military the month before, and I was concerned that I'd get called back into duty, so I was just crossing my fingers, hoping that I got left the hell alone. Maybe that's why I didn't have any personal/emotional reaction to it. My thoughts weren't about people losing their lives, or anything like that, my thoughts were "SON OF A ######, I BETTER NOT GET CALLED BACK IN BECAUSE OF THIS SHIT :banana:"

Now I just think it was the government/terrorists working together to push agendas, which makes me sad for our country, but I still have no emotional ties to that day. I wasn't affected in the least. Well, except for every time I fly I have to go through all the added security B.S. like everyone else.

I saw the writing on the wall and in 1998 did not sign on to a new contract......had I stayed in.....I would have been gone for a few years.... :thumbsdown::mad:

Now I just think it was the government/terrorists working together to push agendas, which makes me sad for our country,

Wait. Are you a truther??? :unsure:

Senior year of high school. We had just come in from getting a class picture taken outside (700+ people). An announcement came over the loud speaker, but I couldn't hear what it was because everyone was at their lockers. I thought, "great, what idiot killed himself now?" (because there had been a few deaths that had been announced over the loud speakers).

Went to psych class, and found out what happened. After that was German class, and we went to the library to watch the news. Saw the 2nd tower come down. :unsure:

Was just heading in to work, two blocks from my house, when this girl who worked for me (~ 40D) called and asked if I'd heard what happened. I hadn't so she told me. She was freakin' so I sent her home. Went in to the office until they formally closed it a couple hours later. As a side note, our parent company had a huge presence in the WTC's. We lost about 300 people that day.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/magazines/...tures/45941.htm

Whippin terrorist ass on flight 93.

:thumbsup:

I got a call somewhere around 4 in the am from Mom's telling me to turn on the TV some crazy things were happening in New York. I thought it was a movie initially. She also said my sister was traveling from the east coast that morning and there was a chance she could be on one of the flights. As fate would have it, she was on the flight 93 manifest... :cry:

She was supposed to fly out on a later flight and rescheduled her flight to get home a bit earlier. I wish it had been full.

It is surreal, still, to think about. It's not like you ever forget about a loved one passing, but on the day of, all these emotions surface that you deal with for 364 days, but on the anniversary they just come roaring back.

Rest in peace, Christine! And thanks for fighting back! :pointstosky:

i was buried under 100 floors of steel and concrete. I thought for sure I was dead, but GFIAFP saved me.

That makes one more reason to hate GFIAFP.

:thumbsup:

I got a call somewhere around 4 in the am from Mom's telling me to turn on the TV some crazy things were happening in New York. I thought it was a movie initially. She also said my sister was traveling from the east coast that morning and there was a chance she could be on one of the flights. As fate would have it, she was on the flight 93 manifest... :cry:

She was supposed to fly out on a later flight and rescheduled her flight to get home a bit earlier. I wish it had been full.

It is surreal, still, to think about. It's not like you ever forget about a loved one passing, but on the day of, all these emotions surface that you deal with for 364 days, but on the anniversary they just come roaring back.

Rest in peace, Christine! And thanks for fighting back! :pointstosky:

You'd better be fcking serious, because I just got choked up over that little tidbit...and MLCKAA doesn't get weepy over much.

If true, I'm really, really sorry for your loss.

You'd better be fcking serious, because I just got choked up over that little tidbit...and MLCKAA doesn't get weepy over much.

If true, I'm really, really sorry for your loss.

Truth brother! Every word.

http://www.geocities.com/rememberchristine/

And thanks! :dunno:

A FF - related story that I've shared here before:

What I'll remember most about 9/11 is that the day before Easy Ed McCaffrey (or as my brother calls him "Ed McCafferty") broke his leg. CBS didn't open up until I want to say 8:00 a.m. for waiver moves and I was locked in mortal combat with other league members to be the first to pick up (gulp) Eddie Kennison. (Man, that's a :doh: right there)

My coworker Sol comes into my office, his eyes are :dunno: "DID YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENED??"

Me: "Yeah :cheers: Can't believe McCafree broke his friggin' leg."

Sol: :dunno:

...And leaves my office.

I ended up losing Eddie Kennison to drive my coworkers who took the bus home and go donate blood.

:cheers:

I got a call somewhere around 4 in the am from Mom's telling me to turn on the TV some crazy things were happening in New York. I thought it was a movie initially. She also said my sister was traveling from the east coast that morning and there was a chance she could be on one of the flights. As fate would have it, she was on the flight 93 manifest... :dunno:

Rest in peace, Christine! And thanks for fighting back! :dunno:

I never knew that, TAS. I am very sorry for your loss.

I was in college, and remember hearing the phone ring a couple of times and someone leaving messages. When I got up finally the messages were from friends.. "holy sh!t"... "we're being attacked". Turned on the TV not too long before the towers fell. Just unbelievable.

I wrote an article shortly afterwards for my school paper. I wrote about how everyone came together afterwards. How blood banks had lines around the block. Everyone in this country was united, together. It was the most 'united' I can remember the United States being in my lifetime. I remember thinking that out of this terrible event could be this great affect of bringing us all together. And while it did that for awhile, how long before we were all back to bickering, being divided, partisan politics, etc? The legacy of 9/11 should have been better than this.

I was sleeping, in East Boston, literally less than a mile from Logan Airport. My uncle called me to tell me to leave the city because we were being attacked. I got out of bed, started driving to his house in New Hampshire and there wasn't a single car in the tunnel, everyone had already left, it was the freakiest thing I had ever seen.

I was out of work, collecting, because the economy was already tanking and 9/11 just sealed our doom.

I was not too far from you. I was going to high school (sophmore) in Boston (Dorchester). My High school is near the Kennedy Library and about 4 miles across dorchester bay and Boston harbor from Logan.

I was in my 2nd class of the day when an announcement over the loudspeakers explained what happened. They held a mass in the gym about an hour later (Catholic High School) and then sent us home after that.

My first class of the day was social studies. It was the most boring class I had and from the view out the window you could see planes steeply assending immediately after takeoff from Logan. I used to day dream in that class and sometimes stare at the planes as they took off. The first plane that hit the WTC left from Logan before I would have been in that class. the 2nd plane that hit the WTC left at 8:14 Am. My class started at 8:15 Am. I doubt I was looking out the window at the beginning of class because boredom had not set in yet. But that doomed plane passed outside my classroom window while I was oblivious.

I never knew that, TAS. I am very sorry for your loss.

I was in college, and remember hearing the phone ring a couple of times and someone leaving messages. When I got up finally the messages were from friends.. "holy sh!t"... "we're being attacked". Turned on the TV not too long before the towers fell. Just unbelievable.

I wrote an article shortly afterwards for my school paper. I wrote about how everyone came together afterwards. How blood banks had lines around the block. Everyone in this country was united, together. It was the most 'united' I can remember the United States being in my lifetime. I remember thinking that out of this terrible event could be this great affect of bringing us all together. And while it did that for awhile, how long before we were all back to bickering, being divided, partisan politics, etc? The legacy of 9/11 should have been better than this.

:rolleyes: