Sign in to follow this  
Jesus Christ

Mark my words......

will win not only next year's Super Bowl but the following one as well! That's right back to back!

How can that be when people think:

"their D is awful"

"Brady has lost his big game calmness"

"Belichick has lost it"

A lot of people don't think of it this way but the Patriots have quietly been in quasi rebuilding mode the last two years. Cut a lot of veterans, Revamped the D, New scheme on D. Different strategy on Offense with the TE's and while doing this they have gone 27-5 with a SuperBowl appearance. This team is young overall. Not too many guys over 30. I don't think Brady does it alone, I think he still is elite but he'll need help but help will come this off season.

So again, for your next two Super Bowl Champions look no further then your New England Patriots.

will win not only next year's Super Bowl but the following one as well! That's right back to back!

"their D is awful"

"Belichick has lost it"

A lot of people don't think of it this way but the Patriots have quietly been in quasi rebuilding mode the last two years. Cut a lot of veterans, Revamped the D, New scheme on D. Different strategy on Offense with the TE's and while doing this they have gone 27-5 with a SuperBowl appearance. This team is young overall. Not too many guys over 30. I don't think Brady does it alone, I think he still is elite but he'll need help but help will come this off season.

So again, for your next two Super Bowl Champions look no further then your New England Patriots.

How has the D been "revamped?" What is this "new scheme?"

If you believe the D will be improved, that's one thing, but explain why, don't just use generic (and not entirely accurate) statements.

"their D is awful"

"Belichick has lost it"

I think these are the three most acccurate statments in your whole post!

NE will be in the mix again next year.

The question isn't if they'll make the playoffs - b/c they will.

The question is will they be dominant again (as GB was this year) - will they ever return to the juggernaut level they were in 04 and 07?

and the answer really comes down to whatever last/final pieces they add - if it's another Ocho/Haynesworth, then they miss.

If it's another Moss/Dillon/Mayo, then they hit.

And of course the problem is that just being a juggernaut isn't enough - you still have to have a few things bounce your way and if they don't, you're the '07 Pats again or the '11 Packers.

How has the D been "revamped?" What is this "new scheme?"

The defense may, or may not improve next year, but it has been revamped from a couple years ago; lots of first and second year guys, a number of free agents and veteran signings. And the new scheme is a 4-3 base rather than a 3-4 base, but it remains to be seen whether they will stick with that next year. Off the top of my head, Wilfork may be the only defensive guy who played meaningful minutes in both the last Patriot's SBs.

The defense may, or may not improve next year, but it has been revamped from a couple years ago; the new scheme is a 4-3 base rather than a 3-4 base, but it remains to be seen whether they will stick with that next year. .

:thumbsup:

NE's defense was not that good this year, but FINALLY they started making plays - a year or two ago, the NE D was "statistically" better but they never made a play, never forced a Turnover, never got a sack/fumble.

We talk about the change from 3-4 to 4-3 but it's even more than that - it's almost a Nickel/Prevent now with the philosophy being: let them go down the field, but make them do it in as many plays as possible.

With that philosophy, you don't give up the big play and allow for more opportunities to get the turnover.

As hard as it is to watch NE get so close and miss these last few years, it's also amazing that they are so competetive every year - we watch the Red Sox (bridge year), Celtics, and Bruins rebuild and retool and accept that there is a lost season or two - but with the Pats, they still compete.

Blah blah blah, cheaters, yadda yadda yadda. :cry:

As soon as certain posters get done defending rapists and enablers of child molestors this thread is going to get ROCKED!

We talk about the change from 3-4 to 4-3 but it's even more than that - it's almost a Nickel/Prevent now with the philosophy being: let them go down the field, but make them do it in as many plays as possible.

With that philosophy, you don't give up the big play and allow for more opportunities to get the turnover.

A little off topic, but I feel like this is going to be all defenses in the very near future. With all of these high scoring offenses and the rules allowing the offense to succeed, teams are going to score points. You don't see very many shutouts anymore. Give up some yards, make a play like a sack and force them to kick the field goal, or get the fumble or interception. Teams are going to move the ball these days. It's a matter of maximizing the number of opportunities you give yourself to force a turnover, which means, as you said, making them drive down the field in as many plays as possible. You'll see a lot of teams built like the Giants; dominant defensive line and just OK guys on the back end.

A little off topic, but I feel like this is going to be all defenses in the very near future. With all of these high scoring offenses and the rules allowing the offense to succeed, teams are going to score points. You don't see very many shutouts anymore. Give up some yards, make a play like a sack and force them to kick the field goal, or get the fumble or interception. Teams are going to move the ball these days. It's a matter of maximizing the number of opportunities you give yourself to force a turnover, which means, as you said, making them drive down the field in as many plays as possible. You'll see a lot of teams built like the Giants; dominant defensive line and just OK guys on the back end.

people believe talking heads a little too often. The defense playing the best at the end of the season won the SB last year, and the one playing the best the year before it did too. Offensive output and scoring has increased, and there certainly less emphasis on the running game...but a defense that can get critical stops is what makes those offenses click. New England's D got hot at the right time, but their window is closing. The fluky Denver win over Pittsburgh spared them a bad matchup, and they got a fluky win themselves over Baltimore. But the Football Gods will continue to smite down the Pats, deny them what they once obtained by ill-gotten gains, and punish the hooded cheater.

that is true, this thread comes from a real insider! :headbanger:

Yeah, where was Jesus when Tim Tebow needed him against New England ?! :dunno:

My guess is, this guy is talking about playing NFL madden football on the xbox on cheat mode. Which would be the only way this makes it true.

My guess is, this guy is talking about playing NFL madden football on the xbox on cheat mode. Which would be the only way this makes it true.

My guess is that the Pats have a better shot at it than the Colts do. :dunno:

My guess is that the Pats have a better shot at it than the Colts do. :dunno:

Depends. :) Is Manning on the team? :) But most likely, yes, I would hope so in the current situation.

The Pats will make the playoffs because their division is awful - not one other team in the NFC East has a franchise QB. The fact that they went 13-3 without beating a single team with a winning record though, indicates to me that they weren't "dominant" last year. They have very little running game and that defense is pretty bad. It's fixable in an offseason, but you've got to wonder how many years Brady has left before he starts to decline. He looked pretty pedestrian against the Ravens and the Giants. NE's window is closing and they no longer seem to have that aura where you're scared to play them.

The Pats will make the playoffs because their division is awful - not one other team in the NFC East has a franchise QB. The fact that they went 13-3 without beating a single team with a winning record though, indicates to me that they weren't "dominant" last year. They have very little running game and that defense is pretty bad. It's fixable in an offseason, but you've got to wonder how many years Brady has left before he starts to decline. He looked pretty pedestrian against the Ravens and the Giants. NE's window is closing and they no longer seem to have that aura where you're scared to play them.

* AFC

Agreed. And even as pedestrian as the Jets, Dolphins and Bills were last year they aren't afraid of the Pats either.

They got revenge and swept the Jets (after the Jets took 2 out 3 last year, including the playoffs), but Buffalo beat them and Miami only lost by 3 at the end of the season in New England.

Heck the Colts even played the Pats within one score.

New England is a good smart team that maximizes what they have but I don't think they are 'elite' in any fashion.

* AFC

Agreed. And even as pedestrian as the Jets, Dolphins and Bills were last year they aren't afraid of the Pats either.

They got revenge and swept the Jets (after the Jets took 2 out 3 last year, including the playoffs), but Buffalo beat them and Miami only lost by 3 at the end of the season in New England.

Heck the Colts even played the Pats within one score.

New England is a good smart team that maximizes what they have but I don't think they are 'elite' in any fashion.

Then no team is elite

Echoing others who say the Pats get into the playoffs next year b/c their division is one of the weakest in the NFL. No opposing QB's worth a damn, as well as no pass rush. The Pats would really struggle in divisions like the NFC North, NFC East (obviously since they can't beat NY), and the AFC North.

Then no team is elite

In today's NFL I don't believe you find 'elite' teams like say the 90's Cowboys but you can find elite units.

IMO:

San Frans D is elite.

Houston's running game is elite.

Green Bay's and New Orlean's offenses and passing game in particular are elite.

New England has elite TE's, a very solid offensive line, great qb and decent running game but until they get someone that can stretch the field I don't believe they are a top 6 NFL team today.

IMO: Green Bay, New Orleans, Baltimore, Pitt, San Fran, NYG, and maybe a few others are better all around teams.

What about Welker. Can they do it without him?

He'll be back. They'll franchise him if they have to.

I bet they'll bring in a WR to help him too. Branch is old and Ocho is clearly done in New England. I would love it if they signed Brandon Lloyd!

They'll make the playoffs with a high seed, mainly because the AFC is weak, and their division is even more so.

But I don't see another title unless they add some pieces on defense, and a real running game would help too.

They'll make the playoffs with a high seed, mainly because the AFC is weak, and their division is even more so.

But I don't see another title unless they add some pieces on defense, and a real running game would help too.

They need playmakers on defense. And another WR wouldn't hurt. Ideally this WR would start with Welker and bump Branch to the #3 spot.

I think they have some decent runners and a good run blocking o-line, the problem is they rarely try to establish the run and get away from it immediately if it isn't working (and even sometimes when it is working).

a real running game would help too.

I am cautiously optimistic about Stevan Ridley. He finished up the regular season last year with and 11carry 65 yard game, 13 carry 64 yard game, and 15 carry 84 yard game. Not mind blowing numbers, but something to build on. I think it says something that by the end of the season Ridley (a rookie) was basically the primary RB over Belichick's binky Benjarvus Green Ellis. It wouldnt shock me to see BJGE move on to another team this offseason. It wouldnt surprise me to see him resigned, but i am expecting for Ridley to be the lead guy next season either way. Ridley averaged over 5 yards per carry for the entire season, vs 3.7 for BJGE. Granted Ridley's "entire season" was only 87 carries, but like i said, its something to build on.

In today's NFL I don't believe you find 'elite' teams like say the 90's Cowboys but you can find elite units.

New England has elite TE's, a very solid offensive line, great qb and decent running game but until they get someone that can stretch the field I don't believe they are a top 6 NFL team today.

IMO: Green Bay, New Orleans, Baltimore, Pitt, San Fran, NYG, and maybe a few others are better all around teams.

I agree with most of this, was pretty surprised that NE went as far as they did without any real deep threat. That said, those teams are suspect as far as being better than the Pats, and no other potential team is in the mix. GB and NO, fine. But Pitt, SF, and NYG, even at best. And Balt, no way. People on this site have been dying to see the end of the Pats run, but its not here yet.

I am cautiously optimistic about Stevan Ridley. He finished up the regular season last year with and 11carry 65 yard game, 13 carry 64 yard game, and 15 carry 84 yard game. Not mind blowing numbers, but something to build on. I think it says something that by the end of the season Ridley (a rookie) was basically the primary RB over Belichick's binky Benjarvus Green Ellis. It wouldnt shock me to see BJGE move on to another team this offseason. It wouldnt surprise me to see him resigned, but i am expecting for Ridley to be the lead guy next season either way. Ridley averaged over 5 yards per carry for the entire season, vs 3.7 for BJGE. Granted Ridley's "entire season" was only 87 carries, but like i said, its something to build on.

Agreed. If Ridley can protect the ball then I think he is easily NE's top runner next year.

I would love it if they signed Brandon Lloyd!

With Daniels around I think this is a given. Recent talk of restructuring 85's contract make sense too. BB is going to counteract DEF focus on his TEs next year by planting a bunch of wes welker type clones on the field and using the ends to screen. Everybody still gets stats cause the running game remains anyone's guess on a weekly basis. Stack and feed the current passing plan using the TEs as decoys. It's what I'd do.

Recent talk of restructuring 85's contract make sense too.

Does putting through a shredder then burning the pieces count as 'restructuring'?