Sign in to follow this  
ZeroTolerance

14 dead at Batman premeire in Colorado

The man suspected of carrying out the Colorado movie theater shooting, 24-year-old James Holmes from San Diego, was a graduate student in the neuroscience program at the University of Colorado Medical School, a university spokesman told NBC News. He was in the process of withdrawing from school, the university confirmed.

"The University of Colorado Denver Aschutz Medical Campus can confirm that Mr. James Holmes was in the process of withdrawing from the University of Colorado Denver's graduate program in neurosciences," the univesity statement said. "Mr. Holmes enrolled at the university in June 2011."

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/20/12854157-theater-shooting-suspect-was-graduate-student-at-colorado-medical-school?lite

Read a history book, gym rat.

See a shrink, paranoid alarmist guy

Guns are the problem, not the solution. Unfortunately, Pandora's box is already opened. Can't turn back the hands of time. Just got to move forward with the inevitable population extinction.

Catch you all on the flip. :cheers:

Guns are the problem, not the solution.

Maybe bat shit crazy people are the problem.

Saying that guns are the reason 14 are dead in Colorado is like saying that forks are the reason Strike is fat.

Is there something in the Colorado water that makes younger people go batshit crazy???

Lets see....if im in a room with 1000 knives...the odds i get cut with a knife are pretty good. If you remove the knives....my odds of getting cut go down significantly.......odd how that works when you dont have them around.

Now put in one thug with one knife. Your odds go up.

Looks like this became a political thread without my help. :dunno:

In general I think gun control laws don't do much other than take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. Itsatip that nobody sane commits a violent crime with a gun that's registered to his own name. So making it hard for regular citizens to own a handgun isn't going to deter crime.

That said, I do think that it should be harder if not impossible for people with a history of criminal behavior or medical illness to get a gun. I honestly don't know whether that's the case in most states now. And I think people who are involved in straw purchases or who own guns that are stolen or lost and subsequently used in a crime should be held criminally liable. Like, if your gun is in the glove box of your truck or whatever and stolen, the owner doesn't report it and that same gun is later used in a murder, I think that the owner should face a stiff fine and possibly even jail time.

Far as this case goes, I'm not sure whether any of these measures would've stopped it. I don't think gun laws would've prevented it. I definitely don't think a more heavily armed US population would result in less crime. That's retarded.

First off, Automatics (as in full auto) are VERY difficult and extremely expensive to acquire.

Not really...not anymore....errr....there is this stock you can get for your AR...let's you nearly same rate as full auto. Different way that makes it functional....so doesn't fall under guidelines of what is illegal, but does the same thing.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/slide-fire-solutions-ssar-15-rifle-stock-kit.aspx?a=965878&e=Y

Far as this case goes, I'm not sure whether any of these measures would've stopped it. I don't think gun laws would've prevented it. I definitely don't think a more heavily armed US population would result in less crime. That's retarded.

That's such a blanket statement. Lets remove just SOME guns....say hypothetically...all cops and all law enforcement. Should make the violence go down, somewhat, right?

I don't think arming everyone would help. I mean...if you gave a gun to every crip and blood and felon, I think you'd see an increase. It's not a matter of a more heavily armed US....I think it's about a more heavily armed populations of the good guys.

You're a good guy, right MDC? If you were handed a gun, would start murdering people because you simply had a gun? I doubt it. Now hand one to your wife. Your dad. Your brother. Are they going to add to the increase of the "gun problem"? No.

I don't drink. I consider myself responsible in that aspect. If you hand me a bottle of whiskey, am I more likely to cause a drunk driving death?

How do you explain the fact crime decreases in those states that enact CC laws?

I don't drink.

Are you sure? Cause I just said I don't think making it harder for average citizens to get guns will reduce crime, and you went on a big tangent as if I said the exact opposite thing. :wacko:

71 people wounded, 10 killed on scene, 2 died at hospitals later.

UGH.

How awful.

I'd ask which states, and how of the millions of factors that potentially could account for crime, you've managed to isolate CC as the single factor that reduced crime? Then I'd ask why some cities with very harsh gun laws, like New York City for example, have had a reductiong in violent crime over the past ten years or so, and why guys like you never seem to consider data that contradicts your beliefs.

That's what I'd do. ;)

Right. Most of these clowns save the last bullet for themselves. This clown apparently made no attempt to get away at all.

These cowards always pick soft targets with practically zero chance of anybody returning fire. That way they can rack up the body count. If it was likely that many of the intended victims were armed and able to stop the attack after only two or three kills, the whole scenario loses it's luster for these focks. And if the news would stop sensationalizing these tragedies I'm sure there would be less of them.

This focking focked up planet, with glorified violence everywhere you turn. Turn on a TV and see people shooting guns and violence, but god forbid if anyone tried to show a chicks boob. Sex is taboo! We got crap so focking backwards in this retarded society. It's sick.

:thumbsdown:

:thumbsup:

absofockinglutely

Not really...not anymore....errr....there is this stock you can get for your AR...let's you nearly same rate as full auto. Different way that makes it functional....so doesn't fall under guidelines of what is illegal, but does the same thing.

http://www.sportsman...px?a=965878&e=Y

yes, it's called a slide stock, or bumpfire stock and they do work, but it takes practice. Fun way to get rid of money.

Watching CNN streaming at the office.

Apparently this guy used a AR15, Remington 870 shotgun and had 2-.40 handguns.

Had FULL body armor, a gas mask and used a riot control agent (illegal).

Considering how many people he shot, I'd say the guy was VERY effective and it wasn't just some random thing. Hitting 59 people and killing 12 others is a pretty remarkable count.

He's been training.

It was a midnight showing and he came in through an emergency exit. Probably wasn't seen.

That's what I figured. So would it be fair to assume he had an accomplice who let him in the emergency exit? If so, have they caught this clown?

Like I said, let's save that for another thread.

Fair enough.

LEGALLY!!!!

Oh, ok. I missed that part.

I do know its not hard... one time, we were all in a gun store. My dad was picking up a glock he had ordered or something, and some lady came up to my mom and whisperd "You wanna buy a full auto Uzi?"

I'd ask which states, and how of the millions of factors that potentially could account for crime, you've managed to isolate CC as the single factor that reduced crime? Then I'd ask why some cities with very harsh gun laws, like New York City for example, have had a reductiong in violent crime over the past ten years or so, and why guys like you never seem to consider data that contradicts your beliefs.

That's what I'd do. ;)

Compare number of gun murders/violent crimes per capita with guns in ND, SD WY, MT vs. NY, NJ, DC and Georgia.

The first four have the highest gun ownership per capita. I'm pretty sure their overall population is less than 20% of that vs. the second 4 listed.

Why don't the first four have more murders/violent crimes per capita, ESPECIALLY when they have higher legal gun ownership? Basically, why aren't the people of Montana running around shooting people at the same rate as DC?

That's what I'd do. ;)

The education of the Moron continues. :pointstosky:

I could bring links to other states who have had similar results, but this should be good enough.

As for reduced crime in NYC, see Chicago this year.

Concealed Carry Laws Make Society Safer

When the law allowing licensed Texans to carry concealed weapons was passed in 1995, there was a large protest. Many groups still advocate repealing the law. For instance, the Violence Policy Center, a research organization opposed to concealed carry, released reports in 1998 and 1999 highlighting the number of Texas licensees that were arrested since the law went into effect.

However, according to a study by engineering statistician William Sturdevant:

Licensees were 5.7 times less likely to be arrested for violent offenses than the general public -- 127 per 100,000 versus 730 per 100,000.

The general public is 1.4 times more likely to be arrested for murder than licensees and no licensees have been arrested for negligent manslaughter.

Only 6 of 200,000 licensees have been arrested for murder since the law was introduced and only 2 of those were found guilty.

Not only are the licensees less criminal-prone, carrying guns save lives and prevents crimes. For example, a study by the University of Chicago's John Lott found that had right-to-carry laws prevailed throughout the nation, there would have been 1,600 fewer murders, 4,200 fewer rapes and 60,000 fewer severe assaults.

In the early 1990s Texas's serious crime rate was 38 percent above the national average. Since then serious crime has dropped 50 percent faster than the nation as a whole. In light of Lott's research, it is likely that Texas's concealed carry law has contributed to the declining crime rates.

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=9928

So let's see...

I'm in a room that is darker than a welldiggers asswhole. I'm told this guy waited until shooting in the movie started, so at first, I probably think its movie gunfire. Of course, I'm choking on teargas too.

So I am supposed to pull my trusty piece, figure out what direction the shots are coming from (he was moving supposedly) and fire an accruate shot to kill the guy?

Not very focking likely.

The chances of him dying of lead poisoning and you and others surviving increase substantially when the good guys have guns. Your odds increase ten fold. Your odds decrease when all you can do is throw popcorn and spitballs at him.

Compare number of gun murders/violent crimes per capita with guns in ND, SD WY, MT vs. NY, NJ, DC and Georgia.

The first four have the highest gun ownership per capita. I'm pretty sure their overall population is less than 20% of that vs. the second 4 listed.

Why don't the first four have more murders/violent crimes per capita, ESPECIALLY when they have higher legal gun ownership? Basically, why aren't the people of Montana running around shooting people at the same rate as DC?

A variety of factors I'd imagine...

1. There is nothing even loosely considered a city on those places. Much lower population density = much lower crime rates. Hard to be a mugger when everyone in the county knows you on sight.

2. Demographics. Let's just leave it at that.

The chances of him dying of lead poisoning and you and others surviving increase substantially when the good guys have guns. Your odds increase ten fold. Your odds decrease when all you can do is throw popcorn and spitballs at him.

In an ordinary situation, I can see your point. In what happened last night, no.

Do I really need to point out that NY, NJ and DC are VASTLY MORE POPULATED than South Dakota or Wyoming, and that crime is more common in densely populated urban areas than the wilds of Montana for a whole host of reasons that have nothing to do with gun ownership?

:doh:

Do I also need to say again that I DON'T THINK LAWS RESTRICTING AVERAGE CITIZENS' RIGHTS TO GUN OWNERSHIP WILL REDUCE CRIME and generally don't support those laws?

:doh:

I could bring links to other states who have had similar results, but this should be good enough.

As for reduced crime in NYC, see Chicago this year.

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=9928

Aside from your article not actually addressing any of my questions, it's also a link to a right-wing think tank.

Do you ever get tired of making an ass out of yourself? Or do you have loads of time now that your family abandoned you and your wife is banging some other guy?

:dunno:

Somewhat off topic but still slightly on topic...I wonder if this will effect weekend ticket sales?

I heard that it broke a midnight showing record, 2 hours before it opened (previously held by Twilight)

Somewhat off topic but still slightly on topic...I wonder if this will effect weekend ticket sales?

I heard that it broke a midnight showing record, 2 hours before it opened (previously held by Twilight)

Or do the survivors get refunds?

Too Soon???

Don't know, but I can guaranfuckingtee you that AR15 sales will go through the roof over the weekend.

Aside from your article not actually addressing any of my questions, it's also a link to a right-wing think tank.

Do you ever get tired of making an ass out of yourself? Or do you have loads of time now that your family abandoned you and your wife is banging some other guy?

:dunno:

Making an ass out of myself?

I brought a link that supports what I claimed earlier. You should try it sometime.....of course, you would have to actually make a claim you can back up, so that's out the window.

CC laws result in lower crime. It's proven time after time. If you want to ignore the fact, go right ahead. You live in ignorance on so many issues why would this one be any different.

This is where you bring up Sharon Angle, Sport. :thumbsup:

Making an ass out of myself?

I brought a link that supports what I claimed earlier. You should try it sometime.....of course, you would have to actually make a claim you can back up, so that's out the window.

CC laws result in lower crime. It's proven time after time. If you want to ignore the fact, go right ahead. You live in ignorance on so many issues why would this one be any different.

This is where you bring up Sharon Angle, Sport. :thumbsup:

You fuckin guys need to take it to another thread, or have a decent conversation.

You fuckin guys need to take it to another thread, or have a decent conversation.

CC laws have been discussed extensively in this thread. I brought a link supporting my position on CC laws.

I'll ignore the moron, having a decent conversation with him is impossible.

No sh!t. Shut the fock up already you broken record hacks.

You guys (and Newbie) are all good posters when you want to be. I don't know why it amuses you to be such focking wanks all the ###### time.

CC laws result in lower crime. It's proven time after time.

Then you shouldn't have a hard time answering my questions:

How do you know that CC laws reduced crime and not one of the millions of other potential factors?

How do you account for places with highly restrictive gun laws that see a reduction in crime?

Any legitimate source will do, preferably one that isn't a right-wing think tank. :thumbsup:

For the record, I think gun violence has a lot more to do with demographics, culture, and many other factors than gun laws. And I don't think more gun laws necessarily reduce violence, since all they do is take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. Neither do I think a more heavily armed population would reduce gun crime.

I'm posting this for the benefit of people who aren't retards who were recently abandoned by their families. :thumbsup:

You guys (and Newbie) are all good posters when you want to be. I don't know why it amuses you to be such focking wanks all the ###### time.

For the record I posted what I thought was a pretty moderate opinion and for that I get flamed. RP ruins every thread he participates in.

In an ordinary situation, I can see your point. In what happened last night, no.

I don't carry and nor do I want to. I'd like to think I could be Rambo in a situation like that but I know the odds of me shooting straight with confidence and hitting the mark in that scenario are slim to none. But I do hope that if I'm ever in a situation like that, there's someone there who could.

For the record I posted what I thought was a pretty moderate opinion and for that I get flamed. RP ruins every thread he participates in.

Flamed.

Ok, last response to you.

I can't let this go without straightening you out.

You posted this:

I definitely don't think a more heavily armed US population would result in less crime. That's retarded.

I responded with this:

Flamed? :rolleyes:

:wave:

Flamed.

Ok, last response to you.

I can't let this go without straightening you out.

You posted this:

I responded with this:

Flamed? :rolleyes:

:wave:

And I answered you: I don't think studies that show a reduction in crime following CC laws shows any causation. In fact I answered you without name-calling. And when you didn't get the flamewar you wanted you start name-calling etc. It's your schtick and everyone here has seen in a million times and knows you're 100% troll. :dunno:

ETA:

Here's exactly where it became a flamewar:

Until then it was a discussion, but that's not what you want. What you're interested in is being a troll.

ETA2: My apologies to the room for taking the bait and inadvertently derailing the conversation - I really didn't intend to do that and I'll bow out now.

I wish BLS wasn't such a good gun owner so he could shoot these dumb-focks.

This was a decent discussion, now it will be 14 pages of ReclinerNewb garbage.