Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

Who was your favorite MLB player growing up?

It's the dog days of summer and baseball. So gearing up for the MLB playoffs lets reminisce of yesteryear.

Who was your favorite baseball player(s) as a kid?

Growing up in North Carolina I had no official allegiance to a team so I was all over the place. Also as an avid baseball card collector back then that drove a lot of who I rooted for and followed.

Mine will probably shock you and I have no idea why I like these players so much. My very first MLB player I can remember rooting for was Dale Murphy, but I was really young. In little league and beyond I followed these two guys for some odd reason.

Mike Greenwell and George Bell

Not quite a who's who list I know. :doublethumbsup:

Ryne Sandberg. Cubs were my first game as a kid.....he hit one out on Jauquin Andujar of the Cards......i was hooked.

Played second base as a kid...and practiced that "Sandberg hop" throw he always did fielding balls going to his right.

greenwell is an intersting follow as a kid? Murphy was a beast.

Don Mattingly by far for more. Loved some Eric Davis and Barry Larkin as well then Jeff Bagwell as Donny's back kept acting up. I never wanted to miss a Griffey at bat when I could watch it.

Don Mattingly

Mattingly, Wade Boggs and Tony Gywnn were the three best pure hitters (non-power) in the game when I was a kid. I remember stealing my neighbors paper off their driveway to get the sports section to find out what they batted in the game the night before as they were always in the batting title races. Good times. :thumbsup:

Will Clark was another guy i suppose....just a beautiful swing.......think he batted about .950 against the Cubs though :doh:

Will Clark was another guy i suppose....just a beautiful swing.......think he batted about .950 against the Cubs though :doh:

Will the Thrill. I liked him too. Everybody said he was a d!ck in real life but I rooted for him. Prettiest swing in baseball, maybe ever.

Why is it left handers have more fluid swings than righties? Somebody needs to find out.

Will the Trill. I liked him too. Everybody said he was a d!ck in real life but I rooted for him. Prettiest swing in baseball, maybe ever.

Why is it left handers have more fluid swings than righties? Somebody needs to find out.

I know right....not sure why that is. Have you ever hit a baseball from both sides (no homo)??

Even batting left handed feels smoother....its weird.

Carleton Fisk...

First the sox screwed him, then somehow the idiots in Chicago played Ron Karkovice over him...

My favorite player growing up was Jim Rice. I also had man crushes on Roger Clemens and Wade Boggs until they sported pin stripes. :mad:

I remember a pair of rookies that Sparky had batting 8th and 9th... Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammell.

I started watching sports full time around 1980, for me it was Jim Rice.

When Rice retired it was Clemens, then Barry Bonds, then Nomah/Pedro

Amazing how many of our childhood heroes turned out to be dooshes or semi-dooshes. Boggs, Clemens, Puckett, Rose.....

Domingo Ayala, best player at any position

Incredible hitting talent, only six-tool player ever scouted.

6 tools? does he play with a knife in his pocket?

6 tools? does he play with a knife in his pocket?

its actually funny schtick. He has a bunch of vid-joes (his pronounciation, not mine) on youtube.

its actually funny schtick. He has a bunch of vid-joes (his pronounciation, not mine) on youtube.

as funny as Giselle?

Hard to pick between Robin Yount and Paul Molitor.

Would probably lean towards Yount as I played more SS growing up.

Had the sweet Larry Bird stache and hair going.

Great years to watch the Brewers with he and Molitor, Cecil Cooper and Jim Gantner. Gorman Thomas...some really fun games in County Stadium. Rollie and Vukovich pitching.

Manny Trillo. The Phils had some great players then, but Trillo was one of the best defensive second baseman I've seen. In Little League, guys argued getting number 14 or 20. But picked up 9 was easy. Till Mr 5 for 1 Von Hayes soiled the number.

Amazing how many of our childhood heroes turned out to be dooshes or semi-dooshes. Boggs, Clemens, Puckett, Rose.....

My mother had an older cousin who was dying of cancer and his life wish was to meet his hero Carleton Fisk, he stopped by the hospital and spent time with him before he died... I think that's why he ended up being a hero for me growing up... His prime was before my time, he'll he wasn't even a redsox when I watched him growing up. Didnt matter

Daryl Strawberry.

:thumbsup:

Plus, I'm from the same town as Donnie Baseball. So Mattingly as well.