Sign in to follow this  
Kopy

Who's your top 5 QB's of all time?

We have the SuperBowl with Manning, and alot of QB greatness talk. Who are you top 5 QB's of all time. And Give me an honorable mention too.

It can turn into a controversial topic when you base it on records, and SuperBowls, era that they played. I was just wondering what names you guys would throw out there.

For me:

1. Dan Marino

2. Peyton Manning

3. Johnny Unitas

4. Joe Montana

5. Tom Brady

Honorable Mention:

Warren Moon

• Like 1

Marino

Manning

Montana

Elway

Unitas

Honorable mentions: Brady (*), Favre (could do amazing things, also could do terrible things)

I don't think I could make a case for one guy being #1 overall. Too many of them had exceptional things happen to make them the top guy. Montana had the advent of the West Coast Offense. Aikman had arguably one of the best offensive lines in front of him in history. Brady lost a little luster with Spygate and no Superbowl wins since. Peyton has always had unbelievable WR's. Marino was a gun-slinger, but only took his team to one Superbowl and he had a very good supporting cast many years.

So, how about a top five without rating them? Montana, Elway, Manning, Unitas and Marino in no particular order. I think in due time we may add Aaron Rodgers to this list.

Put them in order? tough to do.

Here's about how it goes for me:

1: Montana

2 thru 5: Brady, Manning, Marino, Elway

- can't comment on Unitas and older

- a case can probably be made for Steve Young to be in the mix.

T. Brady
P. Manning
J. Elway

J. Montana

D. Marino (He's my Fav of all, but no SB wins has to drop him :(

jeff hostetler

mark rypien

brad johnson

jim mcmahon

trent dilfer

Doug Williams

How do you not mention Otto Graham, How many championships before the superbowl?

• Like 1

In my lifetime / NFL viewership? In no particular order it's Marino, Montana, Elway, Manning and Moon. Honorable mention to Brady (*) and Favre.

How do you not mention Otto Graham?

Because I don't believe television... or even electricity existed when he played. I cannot determine my rankings from newspaper clippings.

The modern era of QB's trump the old school guys. No offense, but Johnny Unitas doesn't come close to sniffing the top 20 QB's ever. It was a different time. Even Bradshaw and Staubach can't come close to the QB's now. The farthest I would go back is Joe Montana.

Top 5

Manning (no not Eli)

Brady

Montana

Favre

Marino/Elway (tie)

Dan fouts

Bradshaw

Elway

Marino

Manning

jeff hostetler

mark rypien

brad johnson

jim mcmahon

trent dilfer

I see a SuperBowl winning pattern here.

The modern era of QB's trump the old school guys. No offense, but Johnny Unitas doesn't come close to sniffing the top 20 QB's ever. It was a different time. Even Bradshaw and Staubach can't come close to the QB's now. The farthest I would go back is Joe Montana.

Top 5

Manning (no not Eli)

Brady

Montana

Favre

Marino/Elway (tie)

I guess I'm curious as to why. Can't come close? Because of the numbers? Difference in accuracy percentages? If that's your measure, fine, but I think that's flawed. The NFL is designed to be easier for offenses now, and there's no arguing that. Reverse your argument, and ask how these would fare in previous eras.

For me . . .

1. Montana (though I waffle :) )

2. Elway

3. Marino

4. Unitas

5. Favre

Honorable Mention - P. Manning

Top 5

Manning (no not Eli)

Brady

Montana

Favre

Marino/Elway (tie)

Are you saying Unitas couldn't be successful in todays game if he had the same training equipment the QB's now have? The guy was throwing TD passes when the NFL was a run only league. Most magazines and scouts consider him one of, possibly even THE, greatest NFL player of all time. Not just for QB's, but the entire league. The guy introduced so much to the NFL. The 2 minute offense was his creation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Unitas and using three WR's was unheard of until he came along. His first season he threw 24 TD passes in an NFL that was ALL rushing at the time and he won the NFL MVP. Keep in mind, he was playing a 12 game season too. He was the in possibly the greatest game ever played, which sparked the rise in the interest of the NFL to the casual fan. In 2004, he was voted by Sporting News as the greatest QB of all time. In 1999, ESPN named him the #32 overall greatest athlete of all time. His record for most consecutive games with a passing TD stood until just a year ago when Brees broke it. He is still tied with Kurt Warner for the most consecutive games with a passer rating over 120 (4).

In the NFL today, there is no telling what he could have done. He had the quick release, ala Kurt Warner and Aaron Rodgers, but could scramble as well as anyone. He played for several years with a torn muscle in his elbow, which eventually led to his retirement. The QB's of his generation didn't have QB coaches, surgeons to repair every little thing that was wrong with them and they didn't have pass blocking offensive lines. Their WR's were typically just downfield blockers and they didn't have the protection offered by the rules of todays game.

I think you could EASILY make a case for him being the #1 overall QB of all time, but you can do that with so many of them, which is why I listed mine in no particular order. If you don't think he could play today, you don't know the history of Johnny Unitas. I think the proper thing to say would be that most QB's today couldn't have survived in an era when there was very little passing, no blockers, no screen plays, no big WR's (keep in mind, the WR's of their day were tiny and it wasn't until the West Coast Offense was prevalent this began to change), no coaches to instruct them on passing and virtually no designed passing plays. Go online and read the stories of him drawing up plays on the dirt fields instructing his WR's on where to go. He said "You go here and I'll have the ball ready for you." I find it hard to believe many of todays QB's could do anything of the sort. A timing play wasn't even a dream yet back then. Downfield passing was totally unheard of, yet he did it. Outside of Fran Tarkenton, how many QB's since then have been a REGULAR blocker for their Running Back? If you don't know about Unitas, read up before throwing out insane comments like "he doesn't belong in the top 20 QB's". When EVERY major outlet in America lists him as no worse than the #2 or #3 greatest of all time, you look like a fool.

• Like 1

Are you saying Unitas couldn't be successful in todays game if he had the same training equipment the QB's now have? The guy was throwing TD passes when the NFL was a run only league. Most magazines and scouts consider him one of, possibly even THE, greatest NFL player of all time. Not just for QB's, but the entire league. The guy introduced so much to the NFL. The 2 minute offense was his creation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Unitas and using three WR's was unheard of until he came along. His first season he threw 24 TD passes in an NFL that was ALL rushing at the time and he won the NFL MVP. Keep in mind, he was playing a 12 game season too. He was the in possibly the greatest game ever played, which sparked the rise in the interest of the NFL to the casual fan. In 2004, he was voted by Sporting News as the greatest QB of all time. In 1999, ESPN named him the #32 overall greatest athlete of all time. His record for most consecutive games with a passing TD stood until just a year ago when Brees broke it. He is still tied with Kurt Warner for the most consecutive games with a passer rating over 120 (4).

In the NFL today, there is no telling what he could have done. He had the quick release, ala Kurt Warner and Aaron Rodgers, but could scramble as well as anyone. He played for several years with a torn muscle in his elbow, which eventually led to his retirement. The QB's of his generation didn't have QB coaches, surgeons to repair every little thing that was wrong with them and they didn't have pass blocking offensive lines. Their WR's were typically just downfield blockers and they didn't have the protection offered by the rules of todays game.

I think you could EASILY make a case for him being the #1 overall QB of all time, but you can do that with so many of them, which is why I listed mine in no particular order. If you don't think he could play today, you don't know the history of Johnny Unitas. I think the proper thing to say would be that most QB's today couldn't have survived in an era when there was very little passing, no blockers, no screen plays, no big WR's (keep in mind, the WR's of their day were tiny and it wasn't until the West Coast Offense was prevalent this began to change), no coaches to instruct them on passing and virtually no designed passing plays. Go online and read the stories of him drawing up plays on the dirt fields instructing his WR's on where to go. He said "You go here and I'll have the ball ready for you." I find it hard to believe many of todays QB's could do anything of the sort. A timing play wasn't even a dream yet back then. Downfield passing was totally unheard of, yet he did it. Outside of Fran Tarkenton, how many QB's since then have been a REGULAR blocker for their Running Back? If you don't know about Unitas, read up before throwing out insane comments like "he doesn't belong in the top 20 QB's". When EVERY major outlet in America lists him as no worse than the #2 or #3 greatest of all time, you look like a fool.

Grandpa is that you? Just my opinion. Athletes today do have much more of an advantage and resources available to them. Could Unitas play in today's era? Probably. All we have is grainy tv video highlights and old newspaper clippings. Give me Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers, you can have Unitas.

Until I read this thread... Marino is overrated. And the fact that he won nothing means that he will be overshadowed by players of the new world order.

The best QB I've seen with my eyes was Steve Young and he never gets any consideration on these lists.

His game had absolutely no weakness.

• Like 1

The best QB I've seen with my eyes was Steve Young and he never gets any consideration on these lists.

His game had absolutely no weakness.

this!

my top 5, although its not really greatest QB's but my favorite QB's to watch of all time

1) Steve Young

2) Dan Fouts

3) Randall Cunningham

4) Jim Kelly

5) Warren Moon

• Like 1

Best I've ever seen (in no order):

Unitas

Marino

Montana

P. Manning

Favre

HM: Elway, Brady

Those I found most compelling to watch:

Unitas

Namath

R. Cunningham (homer bias)

Fouts

P. Manning

HM: Tarkenton, Favre

• Like 1

jeff hostetler

mark rypien

brad johnson

jim mcmahon

trent dilfer

Best list EVER and it highlights the point that whenever these threads come up its never about actual QB skill. It tends to lean towards SB titles won since, ya know.... the QB is the ONLY guy who plays during the Super Bowl.

A real list which takes ONLY pure QB play into account would be(in no order):

Manning, Marino, Elway, Fouts, Unitas.

We have the SuperBowl with Manning, and alot of QB greatness talk. Who are you top 5 QB's of all time. And Give me an honorable mention too.

It can turn into a controversial topic when you base it on records, and SuperBowls, era that they played. I was just wondering what names you guys would throw out there.

For me:

1. Dan Marino

:lol:

Im fond of debating this topic. Ill get one thing out of the way, Marino isnt on the list and id even rank Drew Brees over him.

My criteria for judgement is 3 sections. Postseason prowess (did they win? Epic comebacks? knack for shining on the biggest stage?), Reg season stats (mvps, records, fantasy monsters), overall look and feel (guys like Marino and Moon who looked and played great despite not winning.).

That said, heres my master list.

1.Montana- Playoff prowess is the factor here, the 4rings are the icing. His stats were good so hes not a bum joe namath type. If Peyton wins this SB, the discussion can heat up, til then its not debateable.

2. Peyton- If he wins next week he creeps into the no.1 discussion. Until then, his playoff suckitude drops him well out of it. 5 mvps and amazing stats vault him to no.2

3. Brady- 3sb albeit shady ones from kicks and tucks and spying, are still on the resume and good reg season stats back them up. Like peyton, his last decade of playoff suckage keeps him out of no.1 discussions.

4. Favre- Controversial I know, but he is the all time leader in every stat there is, including wins. People forget that for years he wasnt very int prone and punched his HOF ticket long ago. Edges out Elway cuz of stats.

5. Elway- Drew Brees is creeping up to this spot right here, and fast. I could even easily put Johnny U here as well but the eras unfortunately keep him out. I wouldnt argue Johnny U here at all tho.

My criteria for judgement is 3 sections. Postseason prowess, Reg season stats, overall look and feel.

This is such an impossible question because it's so hard to compare QB's across eras. Most historians/lists have Johnny Unitas, Otto Graham, and Bart Starr in their top 10 QB's of all time, with Unitas and sometimes Graham in the top 5. I've never seen them play. I can only go by what I've read. It seems almost impossible not to have Unitas in the top 5 (and often top 2 or 3). Graham certainly can make a case for the top 5 as well.

In my liftetime of watching football (goes back to the mid 80's), the best QB's I've ever seen are:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Joe Montana

After that it's tough to pick between Tom Brady, Steve Young, John Elway, Drew Brees, Brett Favre, Dan Marino, Warren Moon, and probably some others I'm missing off the top of my head. Aaron Rodgers is on his way there but with a smaller body of work.

Elway is one of the toughest cases for me because his regular season numbers really weren't that special. He accumulated large totals playing over 16 NFL seasons. But his career QB rating was UNDER 80. He finished his career with a completion % under 57. He turned the ball over A LOT. BUT he had the tremendous playoff comebacks, the two Super Bowl wins, and two great regular seasons to end his career. Not to mention he seemed to "will" his team to the playoffs and often to multiple playoff wins even though he wasn't surrounded by a ton of great talent until later in his career. A lot of people always mention him as a top 5 QB's ever though.

Marino

Manning

Montana

Elway

Unitas

Honorable mentions: Brady (*), Favre (could do amazing things, also could do terrible things)

This except swap Brady* with Montana.

I demand that anyone who puts Marino ahead of Peyton or even Favre to give me a compelling reason why. Favre is a strictly better Marino, since Marinos claim to fame was owning all the records, now Favre does, plus he had the SB. As far as Peyton goes, theres no stretch of imagination where Marino could be considered better, I just cant imagine an argument to be made. Marino had a couple huge years then a ton of mediocre ones. Marino doesnt even have many 30td seasons wich Peyton routinely craps out like they were warmups.

1) Manning - will have all major records - 6 MVPS - 2 maybe more Superbowls - 2 SB with 2 different teams - Cross over slam dunk game over!

2) Montana - Best QB - Best weapons -best team

3) Elway - Best qb - no weapons - no team

4) Moon - I'm almost inclined to put moon at #2 - if you count Canada #s he'd hold all Major Records, and it be tough for Manning to catch him - No Superbowls hurts

5) Unitis - The father of the position - early day manning way ahead of his time

I demand that anyone who puts Marino ahead of Peyton or even Favre to give me a compelling reason why. Favre is a strictly better Marino, since Marinos claim to fame was owning all the records, now Favre does, plus he had the SB. As far as Peyton goes, theres no stretch of imagination where Marino could be considered better, I just cant imagine an argument to be made. Marino had a couple huge years then a ton of mediocre ones. Marino doesnt even have many 30td seasons wich Peyton routinely craps out like they were warmups.

My top 3 guys of Marino, Manning and Unitas (And you can put those guys in whatever order you want and it wouldn't really bother me that much) But those 3 guys I consider the best pure passers ever. I basically consider those 3 robots and unhuman, and for me they define the very position of a QB.

After those guys was when I took everything into consideration, and as much as I liked a whole lotta QB's here, there was just no one I could really justify putting ahead of Montana and Brady.

My honorable mention was Moon. And I would definitly rank him 6th. I think he was just so vastly under rated.

If i was to go further, then that's where I would slot Elway, and then Farve.

Just reading the responses, it looks like we really all have a consensus top 10. It would be just the order that becomes highly debatable. And really boiles down to personal preference.

Because Marino played the position at a very high level and is quite skilled at being a QB.

Just reading the responses, it looks like we really all have a consensus top 10. It would be just the order that becomes highly debatable. And really boiles down to personal preference.

agreed.

If someone wants to argue Marino or Unitas over Manning, Montana, or Brady - who the fock really cares?

Once the guy wearing your laundry is one of the greatest ever, just enjoy it.

Sure, it's fun to debate and play "what if" but in the end, you're a retread if you get all fired up over being "right' here - you're a gawd-damn window-licker if it matters that much to you.

1. Russell Wilson

2. Russell Wilson

3. Russell Wilson

4. Matt Hasselbeck

5. Dave Krieg