Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Last minute thoughts on Andre Ellington?

I want to live this guy as a terrific RB2 with upside worthy of a 2nd round pick, but I have barely seen him play and it is a total leap of faith that he will get and can handle the 250+ touches necessary to put up the kind of #s worthy of that selection.

Any last minute thoughts from Cards fans (all 2 of you) or others in the know on Ellington's prospects this year?

As I San Francisco fan who saw a little of his play, not a lot, I was impressed by 1) his toughness as a smaller back and 2) agility in space. It is one thing to talk about the sheer volume of 'touches' another to focus on the quality and type of touches. If he is catching 4-5 balls with a little bit of space and some of his running is outside with the option to get out of bounds ... he seems like a guy who should be utilized similar to how Kansas City uses Jamaal Charles.

The Cards are 3 deep at WR, so he shouldn't face a stacked box too often.

I want to live this guy as a terrific RB2 with upside worthy of a 2nd round pick, but I have barely seen him play and it is a total leap of faith that he will get and can handle the 250+ touches necessary to put up the kind of #s worthy of that selection.

Any last minute thoughts from Cards fans (all 2 of you) or others in the know on Ellington's prospects this year?

Like the guy a lot in PPR has a number two RB . And all the leagues I am apart of are PPR .

From watching him at Clemson, he excels at reading his blocks, he's not terribly shifty but does get up to speed quickly. He won't move the pile or break a ton of tackles he needs holes to get through the line. He's an very good receiving back in terms of hands and route running.

All that said, if you try to give him the ball 20+ times a game he's going to break down. He needs to be used more in space and in situations where the defense isn't looking run (i.e. having a good passing game to keep defenders off the line of scrimmage).

My fear is zona makes him more of a focal point and this makes him less effective per carry and more likely to be hurt. He needs to stay in the 15 touch per game area to be effective

He's closer to 210 currently than 199 (last year). At 5'9 that's doable, plus it really doesn't matter what we think Arizona appears to be willing to make him their every down RB. Could get 80+ receptions (would have last year if you do the math on opportunities vs actual usage)

Isn't he about the same size as Charles. He can handle the load.

if there's anyone who knows about handling loads, its MDC

• Like 1

if there's anyone who knows about living RMFF in my head, its MDC

No doubt.

Hope you passed on him. already an mri on his previously repaired foot and the season hasn't started. this is why he was a dnd for me. I refuse to use a high pick on undersized backs that haven't proven they can handle a "full load".

XTRA 910 Arizona's Mike Jurecki reports Andre Ellington underwent an MRI on his left foot Thursday.

Per Jurecki, Ellington had been "dealing with some discomfort" over the past week, and aggravated the injury in Thursday's practice. The situation has the makings of a Week 1 nightmare, but there's no point in panicking until the Cardinals reveal Ellington's MRI results. His status will be updated on Friday. Jonathan Dwyer is the next man up at running back for Arizona. Even if Ellington is ultimately cleared for Monday's opener, the situation is a reminder of his fragility. Sep 5 - 1:02 AM

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter

Hope you passed on him. already an mri on his previously repaired foot and the season hasn't started. this is why he was a dnd for me. I refuse to use a high pick on undersized backs that haven't proven they can handle a "full load".

That's certainly a consideration when selecting players, but it doesn't really have anything to do with a foot injury in practice.

That's certainly a consideration when selecting players, but it doesn't really have anything to do with a foot injury in practice.

"Full load" in practice?

Strange. It usually takes until at least week 2 for one of my starters to go down with an injury :wall:

Maybe it requires a "bruise foot" to be the man....

Remember Jaamal Charle's 2013 preseason "bruise foot" injury?

Heard Ellington participated in yesterday's practice. Again, time to BUY if you can get him for cheap.

Nick what i just posted earlier.

Word out he could be out "extended period of time". Not good.

"XTRA 910 Arizona's Mike Jurecki reports Andre Ellington aggravated his left foot in practice Thursday, and is "hearing he could be out an extended period of time."

Unfockingreal. And my #3 RB is Rice :lol:

I have Dwyer as a handcuff but I'm sure he'll at best split carries with Taylor. Lovely start to the season :mad:

Is this Dwyers backfield now if he misses any lengthy time?

Best guess, yes

If Ellington is out for a while, Dwyer's value is probably at least what Mendenhall's was last year, potentially a bit better. Dwyer's never been anything special, but he seemingly was way ahead of Stepfan Taylor for the #2 spot. In the league where I own Ellington, I just dropped Kelce for Dwyer as a precaution. Certainly worth cycling your last bench spot.

Alternately, go pick up John Brown if he's out there, because relying on Dwyer and Taylor might mean the Cardinals would rather throw 50 times a game than run more than 15.

cards beat writer saying he could be out for an extended period of time.

mri results should be back today. mre will becomes apparent then.

this is the same surgically repaired foot, the soreness/swelling is on the outside of it.

• Like 1