Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

Proposed Highway From Europe to the U.S.

OK, I am interested. Love traveling by train, and doing this sounds like a blast to me....

• Like 1

Guessing the stretch through the Ukraine might get a little sketchy.

And eff that......I went to college so I didnt have to drive to far away places.

And Jesus.....the weather through most of that could be really crappy.

a giant sling shot won't work?

Imagine how much gas would cost on that thing? You're in the middle of the Atlantic, where else you going to go.

It'll be like the scene in vacation, "I'm asking you how much you got.."

Imagine how much gas would cost on that thing? You're in the middle of the Atlantic, where else you going to go.

yeah. Just one terrirriss with a bomb and months of repairs.

Fock that

Uh....the proposed road doesn't cross the Atlantic. Russia and Alaska are divided by the Bering Strait, which is approx. 55 miles wide.

On a serious note... I watched something like this a while back on.... Engineering Marvels??? How it's Made??? something like that.

The bridge would be 3 tiered - a road on top, a train in the middle, and gas lines on bottom. One of the biggest challenges was the fierce climate and waters in that region - just placing the structural pillars in the sea is difficult. And I believe people would only be able to travel across in summer months.

Don't remember all the details - interesting - but difficult.

So from New York to London......even if you averaged 70mph, with no stops, driving 24/7.....itsll take you almost 8 full days to get there.

No focking thanks.

Good news is you'll be murdered in Russia long before you hit day 6

Someday it will happen. Probably not anytime soon though. Maybe in a couple decades?

you passing the bar?

Never happen... It is tough enough for a lot of people driving over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and that is only a bit under 4.5 miles... Can't imagine driving 55 miles over water...

Never happen... a machine that flies like a bird and if it fails, you die? no focking way... and don't even get me started on "forks"... I ain't stickin' 4 prongs in my mouth when my knife is doin' the job just fine...

Never happen... It is tough enough for a lot of people driving over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and that is only a bit under 4.5 miles... Can't imagine driving 55 miles over water...

Wouldn't have to be a bridge. How long is the chunnel?

Wouldn't have to be a bridge. How long is the chunnel?

A little over 31 miles...

A little over 31 miles...

There's a lot of seismic activity up that way I believe, so upon further review, a tunnel might not be such a great idea.

On a serious note... I watched something like this a while back on.... Engineering Marvels??? How it's Made??? something like that.

The bridge would be 3 tiered - a road on top, a train in the middle, and gas lines on bottom. One of the biggest challenges was the fierce climate and waters in that region - just placing the structural pillars in the sea is difficult. And I believe people would only be able to travel across in summer months.

Don't remember all the details - interesting - but difficult.

Yeah, there are not details in the plan about this. I wonder if you could take just take a ferry across the Bering Strait when the seas were calm enough.

I didn't read the article, but I always assumed since like 75% of Russia is in Asia it was technically in asia.

Go Fock yourselves you geography snobs

Nothing like a car/train ride that takes up a two-week vacation just on the travel alone. It is just a shame that no one has been able to devise a faster method of carrying people over long distances...

We have a twenty four mile bridge over water here called the Causeway. Used to be the longest bridge in the world until China built one four hundred feet longer. Whenever they have high winds they restrict motorcycles and glass trucks. Whenever they have heavy fog, they reduce the speed limit from sixty to thirty five and do a rolling convoy. When there is severe weather, they shut it down. That's happen a lot with the fog in the mornings.

There is no fawking way this will EVER happen. It has to be policed. There will be accidents. Bad accidents. Where are you going to put a hospital? Gas stations? Who's going to work these jobs out in the middle of nowhere? Where are they going to sleep, rest, eat, fawk? Rest stations? After it's built, who maintains it? Salt water is not friendly. Not going to happen.

• Like 1

We have a twenty four mile bridge over water here called the Causeway. Used to be the longest bridge in the world until China built one four hundred feet longer. Whenever they have high winds they restrict motorcycles and glass trucks. Whenever they have heavy fog, they reduce the speed limit from sixty to thirty five and do a rolling convoy. When there is severe weather, they shut it down. That's happen a lot with the fog in the mornings.

There is no fawking way this will EVER happen. It has to be policed. There will be accidents. Bad accidents. Where are you going to put a hospital? Gas stations? Who's going to work these jobs out in the middle of nowhere? Where are they going to sleep, rest, eat, fawk? Rest stations? After it's built, who maintains it? Salt water is not friendly. Not going to happen.

I don't envision a bridge. I really think some sort of ferry is more practical. Even that would be dangerous in the Bering Sea, but it's much more feasible than building a bridge.

Nothing like a car/train ride that takes up a two-week vacation just on the travel alone. It is just a shame that no one has been able to devise a faster method of carrying people over long distances...

To me, this is not a family vacation. I see it as more of a summer long camping/hunting/fishing type adventure.

Haha...well what do you want fantasy man? Some sort of spacecraft that would take people like they were sitting on a bus?!

Bwahaha.....outta your dang mind.

Crimea....Eastern Ukraine....Alaska.....British Columbia.....

Think of the cost and time of the Big Dig, then multiply it by one bazillion. :thumbsup:

This is the dumbest idea ever. Trillions would be spent to create a road essentially from Vladivostok to Anchorage? Really? If Russia wants to create a highway from its east and west borders, let them go for it.

Some sort of high speed train from NY to London, I might be interested.

That should drill thru the earth...shortest line between two points and stuff

That should drill thru the earth...shortest line between two points and stuff

Highway to Hell