Sign in to follow this  
mobb_deep

Charleston SC Church Shooting

I have zero issue with strict gun control. Similar to Canada. If you really want a gun you can. They hunt in Canada. And you can have one at your home. There are just extensive checks. And there are few handguns in circulation.

With that said, crazy mofos are always going to do crazy stuff. Maybe this racist idiot would have locked the doors and set the place on fire instead.

Either way I just don't really like people much anymore.

If only we spent as much time/money combating domestic terrorism as we did on foreign terrorism.

American lives matter.

If only we spent as much time/money combating domestic terrorism as we did on foreign terrorism.

American lives matter.

Lives that can help political gain matter. More people are murdered each week in Baltimore than were killed in Charleston. Not a peep about them.

• Like 1

The stats on gun deaths vs pools are only comparing children I think. 5 minutes of digging around online and it looks like there are around 3,500 pool drowning a per year vs 11,000 gun homicides in the US.

The stats on gun deaths vs pools are only comparing children I think. 5 minutes of digging around online and it looks like there are around 3,500 pool drowning a per year vs 11,000 gun homicides in the US.

What's that number if you take out suicides?

What's that number if you take out suicides?

That figure doesn't include suicides. All gun related deaths are in the 30,000-35,000 range annually in the US. About 2/3rds are suicide.

That figure doesn't include suicides. All gun related deaths are in the 30,000-35,000 range annually in the US. About 2/3rds are suicide.

Okay, I didn't know it was that high. I figured the 11K was high.

The laws we have on the books are adequate, I think the biggest challenge is the enforcement, but it's extremely difficult to enforce the law.

Maybe smart guns are the answer? Who knows, won't be fixed in our lifetimes.

Okay, I didn't know it was that high. I figured the 11K was high.

The laws we have on the books are adequate, I think the biggest challenge is the enforcement, but it's extremely difficult to enforce the law.

Maybe smart guns are the answer? Who knows, won't be fixed in our lifetimes.

I'm not nec anti-gun but I am anti- bad stats. I found the article on a pro gun site where the guns vs pools meme seems to have come from and it's comparing drowning deaths among children to homicides by guns among children.

The only gun new gun laws I would support are mandatory licenses / background checks, and more serious consequences for straw purchases and purchasing guns for people you have a reason to believe may be unstable or up to no good.

If the dad in this story bought his son the gun that was used in the shooting, the dad is IMO an accessory to murder and should face jail time. Likewise if your gun is stolen / lost and you fail to report it, if that same gun is used in a crime later I think the owner should face jail time.

We make it way, way too easy for people to buy firearms for people who shouldn't have them, or to keep then unsecured or otherwise accessible to the wrong people with no consequences.

In private business, companies look to other companies that do things well and use them as a Benchmark. America is the greatest country in the world, but we aint perfect and should Benchmark our neighbors to the north's gun laws.

Annual homicides by gun:

• Canada had 173 homicides by gun, according to a 2012 report.
  • The U.S. had 9,146 that year.

Total number of civilian guns:

• Canada has 9,950,000.
  • The U.S. has more than 27 times as many: 270,000,000.

Guns per person:

• Canada reports 30.8 firearms per 100 people. The country ranks 13 worldwide for firearms per capita, according to a report published by The Washington Post in September.
  • The U.S. has 88.8. It ranks No. 1.

Waiting period to purchase a gun:

• Canada requires a 60-day waiting period.
  • There is no federally mandated waiting period in the U.S. Residents can receive a gun after a background check.

Largest mass shootings:

• Canada’s largest mass shooting was in 1989, when 25-year-old Marc Lepine killed 14 people at Montreal's École Polytechnique.
  • The U.S. has had 160 mass shooting incidents between 2000 and 2013, CNN reports from a study released by the FBI. The largest U.S. shooting was at Virginia Tech in 2007, when 23-year-old student Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people. In 2012, twenty children and seven adults were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

License and registration requirements:

• To own a gun in Canada, residents must take a safety course and pass both a written and a practical exam. The license expires in five years. Residents have to register restricted firearms, such as handguns and automatic weapons, with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police's Canadian Firearms Program.
  • In the U.S., license and registration laws vary from states to state, often with no such requirements. There is no mandatory course or exam.

Background checks:

• Canada requires a background check that focuses on mental health and addiction. Agents are required to inform an applicant’s spouse or family before granting a license.
  • The U.S. requires a federal background check for all those buying guns from licensed dealers but does not require one in private transactions such as at gun shows.

Law abiding citizens, who are not felons, drug addicts and are not crazy, can legally own guns. But in a common sense way. The US doesn't go far enough and should benchmark Canada.

I agree, the United States should benchmark all other first-world nations on healthcare

I agree, the United States should benchmark all other first-world nations on healthcare

Well, it depends who does it better. That's the thing about benchmarking, the company that does it best is normally benchmarked not the other way around. :)

Does America have the best doctors and hospitals? Do they have the shortest wait times? etc. :dunno:

Not to derail the thread, but I do agree that this half pregnant Healthcare system we have is stupid. Either we go full single payer or we stop this madness and go full private (with certain regulations and safety nets of course). Either way is better than this half ass stuff.

Why is everyone jumping to conclusions about this kid?

Where is the proof?

Where is the proof?

Of what? That he is guilty? Ummmm, there is video and witnesses and dead people and nobody has come to his defense saying he didn't do it, even himself.

You're a weird dude sometimes.

Of what? That he is guilty? Ummmm, there is video and witnesses and dead people and nobody has come to his defense saying he didn't do it, even himself.

You're a weird dude sometimes.

Sometimes? :unsure:

Where is the proof?

I think it is a natural response. Remember the "hands up dont shoot" BS?

There is enough information leaked out to support a general conclusion. As we learn more we can adjust that conclusion, but we appear to have a young man murdering a group of people, hating him for likely being part of it is natural.

Where is the proof?

I'll take his admission of guilt as proof. :dunno:

In private business, companies look to other companies that do things well and use them as a Benchmark. America is the greatest country in the world, but we aint perfect and should Benchmark our neighbors to the north's gun laws.

Law abiding citizens, who are not felons, drug addicts and are not crazy, can legally own guns. But in a common sense way. The US doesn't go far enough and should benchmark Canada.

:thumbsup:

Where is the proof?

He confessed :doh:

you people don't take too kindly to sarcasm, do you? :doh:

Christ on a Cracker

[edjr] Sometimes innocent people confess[/edjr] Not sure if that is where it was going, but it was painfully slow so i nudged it along....

you people don't take too kindly to sarcasm, do you? :doh:

Christ on a Cracker

Ahhh, that explains the slow development of the line, I missed it.,.... :wall:

The bigger picture here...something we need to take out of things that have happened recently.

Go beyond guns/gun control.

Things were real changes are needed

-police tactics (obviously not in this case)

-mental health issues (this should tie into gun control obviously)

-racial issues...what to do. People can claim white guilt/race card crap all they want. Just a deflection from a problem that does still exist in this country. Byond just the guy's mental state, the type of hate that comes out often times is not something that just comes out of nowhere...its not something he was born with. Its a learned behavior. I think its a behavior/thought process that has been dwindling...but there are still a ton of racial issues (and this goes both ways with the hate some have for people of color...or from people of color to white people).

What real change or real conversations will come of it? I doubt anything really.

The problem isn't gun contol, racial tensions. religion-hating or anything else the media and political pundits are drumming up.

This is just another guy who went way off the rails and shot up a place. We can arm chair QB the whole scenario all day long, but if a man is intent on doing evil, he will find a way.

The problem isn't gun contol, racial tensions. religion-hating or anything else the media and political pundits are drumming up.

This is just another guy who went way off the rails and shot up a place. We can arm chair QB the whole scenario all day long, but if a man is intent on doing evil, he will find a way.

I think part of the problem is that the guy's dad bought him the gun, and he will probably suffer no serious consequences anyway.

If you knew you could face serious jail time for purchasing a gun that is subsequently used in a crime, you might think once of twice before giving that gun to your creeper son. :dunno:

I think part of the problem is that the guy's dad bought him the gun, and he will probably suffer no serious consequences anyway.

If you knew you could face serious jail time for purchasing a gun that is subsequently used in a crime, you might think once of twice before giving that gun to your creeper son. :dunno:

Everybody pyscho has their own story.

But, we can only guess what would have happened if his dad hadn't given him that gun. Would he have gotten another one and done the same? Would he have used a molotov cocktail or a pressure cooker bomb instead?

Maybe he would have just gone on to live a life of quiet desperation without ever harming anyone, but I doubt it.

The bigger picture here...something we need to take out of things that have happened recently.

Go beyond guns/gun control.

Things were real changes are needed

-police tactics (obviously not in this case)

-mental health issues (this should tie into gun control obviously)

-racial issues...what to do. People can claim white guilt/race card crap all they want. Just a deflection from a problem that does still exist in this country. Byond just the guy's mental state, the type of hate that comes out often times is not something that just comes out of nowhere...its not something he was born with. Its a learned behavior. I think its a behavior/thought process that has been dwindling...but there are still a ton of racial issues (and this goes both ways with the hate some have for people of color...or from people of color to white people).

What real change or real conversations will come of it? I doubt anything really.

I've said it before in numerous threads that deep rooted and unresolved hatred will lead to destructive behavior

I've said it before in numerous threads that deep rooted and unresolved hatred will lead to destructive behavior

So did Yoda.

Or, Yoda did say so, yes.

Holy Balls, did Fox get rocked by trying to push this:

"We don't know his motivation, it's part of the Liberal's war on Christianity"

"Yes, this DID happen in a Church!"

Um shiitheads, AT the shooting he declared he was there to kill black people....

:doh:

I remember watching this the first time, when it was called Kingsman: The Secret Service.

Everybody pyscho has their own story.

But, we can only guess what would have happened if his dad hadn't given him that gun. Would he have gotten another one and done the same? Would he have used a molotov cocktail or a pressure cooker bomb instead?

Maybe he would have just gone on to live a life of quiet desperation without ever harming anyone, but I doubt it.

Maybe a pressure cooker bomb wouldn't have detonated, or someone would have become aware of his plan in the time it took to build it, or the kid would have become dissuaded and knifed 3 people instead of shooting 9? We don't know.

All we know is from reports that say his dad illegally have him the murder weapon. I think that offense should be punishable by jail time.

His grandfather is saying that he got money for his birthday and bought himself the gun with it.

Roof's uncle told Reuters that he had received a .45-caliber handgun from his father for his birthday in April, but officials have not said how he got the firearm used in the shooting or its make.

Roof, 21, has told police that he "almost didn't go through with it because everyone was so nice to him," sources told NBC News.

And yet he decided he had to "go through with his mission."

Um shiitheads, AT the shooting he declared he was there to kill black people....

But true to Fox's history, they won't apologize or retract the statement.

But true to Fox's history, they won't apologize or retract the statement.

this is the kind of sh*t Brian Williams always steered clear of

You would think this would convince people about Fox, but no, it won't. At least liberals jumped ship on MSNBC when they went the shill route.

Thats just 1 story....im told that means 999 of the reat are good.

How long before someone puts like Biebers face over his....

keep showing his face and telling his story

in four or five days this kid will be the victim