Sign in to follow this  
phins1921

What round would you draft Josh Gordon?

After seeing what he did the other night I thought I would ask since my draft is coming up. Which round is he worth taking a shot on? Is 4th Rd to early?

depends who is available but 4th seems awfully high for a Browns WR who is missing four games.

He was still there for me at the end of round 9 amazingly...but that was 2 weeks ago at our draft.

With joshy g..reward outweighs risk. Grab him especially in keeper leagues.

Just to remind everyone....the last time Gordon came back from suspension he did not put up good numbers at all. I know people forget this...I did until someone pointed this out. What people remember is the first suspension he came back from...he tore it up and helped a bunch of fantasy teams win their league I am sure. I am not saying he is garbage but people should realize game speed and conditioning take time to adjust too. A few practices is not gonna do it. Go back and review his stats that season he came back...he didnt do as well as you guys think.

My approach in the draft last week was, let him be someone elses risk/reward. Plenty of other great WRs that are reliable. 4th or 5th round pick? thats crazy...and if he screws up again thats a waste. I rather roll the dice on someone that cant disappoint as much... just my 2 cents

Missing 4 games = maybe 8th roundish or later? I would take him when you are at the point you aren't seeing any guys who excite you. Josh excites me but the 4 game suspension really hampers this. I don't think he has a super low floor or anything.

If Bell is missing three games and people are still taking him in the 1st, I see no reason why Gordon is a reach in the 4th/5th. Assuming you believe he'll put up WR1 numbers of course...

• Like 1

If Bell is missing three games and people are still taking him in the 1st, I see no reason why Gordon is a reach in the 4th/5th. Assuming you believe he'll put up WR1 numbers of course...

I think the difference there is Bell has Big Ben, a ton of work, better fitness, no Bryant, 3 game susp and is in a decreasing market of true workhorse backs.

Gordon has RG3, Pryor and Coleman now in the mix, unknown fitness, 4 games susp. plays for Browns and a swollen WR market.

I'd probably pull the trigger on Gordon from Rd 5/6 on, depending on your league and who has gone already.YMMV.

• Like 1

Contract year...last chance to play in the NFL, possibly matured at 25...Rg3 reunion..hue Jackson offense...I'm all in!

• Like 1

Yea, I don't know anyone who has Gordon as a WR1 type expectation. If he was playing all season I can see taking him in the 4th. Gotta bump him down due to losing 25% of his season due to susp. Gonna be interesting to see how RG3 plays and spreads the ball around this year. Some real nice targets in CLE.

Late for me , I see him as a Wr 4.

Not that he won't put up much better number , but I don't like his Qb don't like that he is missing four games and don't like that I've seen this before and he seems to always fine a away to blow it .

Gonna be hard to nab him now. He is flying up the draft boards.

Oh yea I agree you won't get him late .

In the two high stakes drafts I have done so far, he has gone in the 12th (pre-reinstatement) and the 6th (post-reinstatement).

If you really want him you might want to grab him in the 4th, depending on what spot you are in. You may get away with waiting until the 5th round. Depends on how badly you want him.

Contract year...last chance to play in the NFL, possibly matured at 25...Rg3 reunion..hue Jackson offense...I'm all in!

Me too. I think he does better then everyone expects

Also, I was the one who got him in the 6th. I was drafting from the 11 spot and didn't think he was going to last 21 picks back to me. A reach? Maybe at the time, but I'm glad I pulled the trigger when I did.

• Like 1

Drafted him today in the 7th as my 4th WR. I have to start three with the ability to start four. I think he is perfect as the first guy on your bench.

• Like 2

Perfect spot Mr Burns good job.

I had him last time when he came back and did nothing, and I also had him when he was awesome. Not sure he is worth it at current cost 7/8 but if he went later I would take him.

Been playing around doing some mock drafts today , no that's about where I see him going around the 6th and 7th round .

• Like 1

After seeing what he did the other night I thought I would ask since my draft is coming up. Which round is he worth taking a shot on? Is 4th Rd to early?

I was in a pretty decent higher dollar redraft this weekend. Gordon went at the 3.10, even with missing the first 4 games. Personally, I would have never, ever, taken him that high. The owner who did is a guy who has won several league titles and is an incredibly thorough researcher. I read on this site that he was available in the 8th & 9th rounds, however, in drafts where people are competitive and willing to put up some decent money, Gordon is being taken MUCH earlier. The Browns will be playing catch up a lot, so the potential for garbage time points is very high. I call this owner's decision a season-breaker. If he hits on Gordon, and Josh plays like he did a couple seasons ago, this guy could dominate the league. If, however, he comes back and plays at a pedestrian level, this owner has left some points on the table each week. The gamble is high, but is there anyone else with his upside? Gordon isn't just a "good" WR. He's a guy who makes cornerbacks look silly. Super high ceiling with a serious opportunity to finish as a top 5 or 6 WR in fantasy, but also a floor of not playing a single game (if he is suspended again for whatever reason).

^^^^ this!

I will push for him in our auction draft this weekend. If I don't get him, he won't be acquired on the cheap by another owner.

He went in bottom of 5th round in my 12 team 1/2 point PPR league. Ahead of JMATT, Fitz, Desean Jackson, Hurns, John Brown.

Frankly, I think he has higher upside than all of those guys.

Josh Gordon could be a difference maker that could win you some games. He's hungry, looks to be in shape, and RG3 should be an upgrade at QB. The arrow is pointing up.

I snagged him in the 9th round. We can start up to 4 receivers in a .5 PPR league so he's on the bench behind. AB, B. Marshall, Mike Evans, and Cobb! There was a crazy run on RB's so I just kept picking up receivers.

Here's the truth..how many times have people played the "I should of drafted that guy instead game" every year? Gordon at round 3 is where he should be. Ask yourself this..if he was never in trouble to begin with, would it be easy to say based on what we've all seen him on the field that he could annually be a top 5 pick? Fantasy football is a gamble regardless and ESPECIALLY in keeper/dynasty leagues..Josh Gordon most definitely warrants a WR2 with HUGE upside . Even with a 4 game suspension. I've read how many teams that Josh had helped win. I'm all in!

Lol if he was never in trouble of course he could be a top five pick , but he as been in trouble and I'm not to sure if he won't be again and again it's happen before .

Not me I'm waiting for him later in my drafts and if I miss out on him great. .

Not sold on RGthird being anything more than I've seen the past two seasons with the Skins.

But I'm glad to see his ADP going up.

Here's the truth..how many times have people played the "I should of drafted that guy instead game" every year? Gordon at round 3 is where he should be. Ask yourself this..if he was never in trouble to begin with, would it be easy to say based on what we've all seen him on the field that he could annually be a top 5 pick? Fantasy football is a gamble regardless and ESPECIALLY in keeper/dynasty leagues..Josh Gordon most definitely warrants a WR2 with HUGE upside . Even with a 4 game suspension. I've read how many teams that Josh had helped win. I'm all in!

This is really bad logic. Instead of living in a fantasy world and asking yourself "what if he was never in trouble to begin with?" you should be asking yourself "how much will it hurt my team IF/WHEN he gets suspended again?". After round 10, he's worth the opportunity cost. This thing we do isn't about "what if's", its about minimizing risk. I have a hard time drafting Le'Veon Bell in the 2nd missing only 3 games because he's one missed or failed test away from a season-long one. That's a high cost. Gordon goes even beyond that, with another indefinite suspension staring him in the face. Not to mention you're talking about a guy who other than a little preseason action hasn't played any meaningful football in QUITE a while. Add to it a very shaky looking RG3 and i'm not touching Gordon in drafts until late.

• Like 1

Drafting Gordon is less about round than who's already on your roster and who's available. His risk and reward are both very high, so in a start-3 league I'd want two receivers I'm very happy with before even thinking of investing in him. I'd then want to backfill pretty quickly and get someone no worse than a Stefon Diggs/Rishard Matthews cost-and-opportunity player. You need someone both to cover the first 4 weeks and to be usable all year in case Gordon acts a fool again.

If you think you need to grab him before the Maclin/Decker/Moncrief tier is exhausted, I'd suggest: don't. You'd be burning a lot of draft capital for what I think will shake out to be a marginal increase in value over that group once Corey Coleman hits his stride. Cleveland 2016 will not be Josh Gordon And Everybody Else like it was when he put up 1600 yards in 14 games.

Cleveland 2016 will not be Josh Gordon And Everybody Else like it was when he put up 1600 yards in 14 games.

Actually it's a lot closer to that than you might think. Let's look at who Gordon will be competing with targets with:

• Terrell Pryor - a QB converted to WR.
  • Gary Coleman - a rookie WR.
  • Gary Barnidge - a journeyman 30 year old TE who prior to last year had never caught more than 25 passes.

That's not exactly a bunch of world beaters. Josh Gordon's talent has never been a question. With him, it's always been off the field stuff. Come Week 5, you will have a WR1 on your roster.

This is really bad logic. Instead of living in a fantasy world and asking yourself "what if he was never in trouble to begin with?" you should be asking yourself "how much will it hurt my team IF/WHEN he gets suspended again?". After round 10, he's worth the opportunity cost. This thing we do isn't about "what if's", its about minimizing risk. I have a hard time drafting Le'Veon Bell in the 2nd missing only 3 games because he's one missed or failed test away from a season-long one. That's a high cost. Gordon goes even beyond that, with another indefinite suspension staring him in the face. Not to mention you're talking about a guy who other than a little preseason action hasn't played any meaningful football in QUITE a while. Add to it a very shaky looking RG3 and i'm not touching Gordon in drafts until late.

Yep...that thing called pros and cons.My whole premise to this is that even first round players do not hold a " guarantee" for your team. I've had more success drafting players in later rounds based on upside. If I burn an early pick on Gordon ( like I did the year he blew up even with a 2 game suspension) I'm OK with that. Everyone has their own strategy and I refuse to see another team have the "possibility" of cashing in on Gordon.

Well the fact that he hasn't been busted again for Mary Jane is at least a little promising. Wonder how much he goes for in my auction.

The biggest difference is receiver talent. That 2013 team had Davone Bess (pathetic 8.8 yards per reception) and Greg Little (45% catch rate!) as the second and third WR behind Gordon. They were terrible. Coleman is a super freak athlete and Pryor has jets neither of those guys could dream of. Yes, they're inexperienced, but they're still going to contribute meaningfully.

It's also worth noting that the 2013 Cleveland team barely topped 300 RB rushing attempts (I wouldn't run either if all I had was the corpse of Willis McGahee and Chris Ogbonnaya). Game flow or not, Hue Jackson is not going to let that happen, so it's not like Gordon is the lock for double digit weekly targets like he was back then either.

Don't get me wrong--Gordon will probably be pretty good this year. But, you'll have to wait 4 weeks to find out, and he's probably not going to dominate the offense the way you imagine when you hear "Josh Gordon." Buyer beware, or at least be ready.

To get the benefit of RG3 to Gordon, RG3 has to survive 4 games without him. I wouldn't bet on it. 6th round at earliest.

The biggest difference is receiver talent. That 2013 team had Davone Bess (pathetic 8.8 yards per reception) and Greg Little (45% catch rate!) as the second and third WR behind Gordon. They were terrible. Coleman is a super freak athlete and Pryor has jets neither of those guys could dream of. Yes, they're inexperienced, but they're still going to contribute meaningfully.

It's also worth noting that the 2013 Cleveland team barely topped 300 RB rushing attempts (I wouldn't run either if all I had was the corpse of Willis McGahee and Chris Ogbonnaya). Game flow or not, Hue Jackson is not going to let that happen, so it's not like Gordon is the lock for double digit weekly targets like he was back then either.

Don't get me wrong--Gordon will probably be pretty good this year. But, you'll have to wait 4 weeks to find out, and he's probably not going to dominate the offense the way you imagine when you hear "Josh Gordon." Buyer beware, or at least be ready.

Well said, and I agree with all of it. I'm not against taking him, but 3rd round is crazy. Below is the list of guys with ADP of 3rd/4th round almost all of whom I'd rather have over Gordon. And all of whom I'd rather have as a WR to PAIR with Gordon later on. If you want to go early on Gordon I'd look at 7th or 8th because it's pretty unlikely he's going as a WR1/WR2 for anybody else.

13 3.02 Alshon Jeffery CHI

14 3.03 Brandin Cooks NO

15 3.06 T.Y. Hilton IND

16 3.06 Sammy Watkins BUF

17 3.09 Demaryius Thomas DEN

18 3.11 Randall Cobb GB

19 4.01 Kelvin Benjamin CAR

20 4.04 Jarvis Landry MIA

21 4.08 Jeremy Maclin KC

22 4.08 Donte Moncrief IND

23 4.11 Eric Decker NYJ