Sign in to follow this  
touchdowntwitaker

Jordan Matthews Undervalued

HE was the cats meow last year and the team just had a dismissal year. Are we under valuing him? 3rd year break out as the primary receiver by far. They have a great schedule as well. It think he could return 1,200 and 8+ for a wr ranked in the 30's at WR?

Opinions?

I think he will match last season totals or close to them

I will have no qualms picking him Sunday in either of my drafts coming up. This ADP is use has him ranked 83, which is the 8th round. That sounds pretty high to me.

He will be good depth at worst. I expect a solid flex play most weeks if not WR2.

Not sure on his team he has WR1 potential but you never know.

I think he will match last season totals or close to them

This is probably a fair statement.

he has also had more time to develop chemistry with Bradford, who was surprisingly good late last season.

the only thing that makes him less attractive is that he does not get as many TD's as I'd like to see.

Brown had 10 tds last season with 136 rec.

Matthews had 8 tds last season with 85 rec.

So he avg more tds per rec than Brown did , I don't think thats bad.

Also J Jones had 8 tds on 136 rec .

I'm just saying.

• Like 1

He sucks but as a WR1 on any team he does have value. Currently underrated but let's not go hog wild

I'm just saying.

how many targets did each have? from what I remember Matthews drops 2- 3 balls a game

how many targets did each have? from what I remember Matthews drops 2- 3 balls a game

Jordan Matthews had 5 drops all year with one drop every 25.6 tatgets

He had a drop rate of 3.9% which was one of the better drop rates in the nfl.

Everyone likes to just mimic what other people say about Matthews, drops but it's completely false. I will admit I was pissed last year at his drops, but that was because it happened twice in one game early in the season. Plus one of the drops he got smoked on the play while another was a really tough catch.

Mike Evans dropped like 10% of his targets. No one mocks him for his drops. There are a ton of upper tier receivers who have a worse catch rate and drop rate. Matthews is universally singled out for whatever reason. Teddy Ginn is the only other receiver who has his drops brought up, and he genuinely deserves it.

Jordan Matthews is also not a slot receiver. I think that's a bunch of parroted BS too. The guy had the build for X receiver and should be used as such. He isn't a slippery small target who can get lost going over the middle. So until he is used in the x position and actually fails, I am still buying that he is going to be a good receiver.

but that was because it happened twice in one game early in the season.

, I am still buying that he is going to be a good receiver.

I am not gonna lie I remember that game and that obviously has stuck with me. I have never owned him, as I have missed out on him in drafts last year and year prior (THANK GOD)

This year he was on my DND list along with Nelson, Cobb, Lazy.

So yeah I am repeating what I have heard others say about Matthews...I just dont like him.

I am not gonna lie I remember that game and that obviously has stuck with me. I have never owned him, as I have missed out on him in drafts last year and year prior (THANK GOD)

This year he was on my DND list along with Nelson, Cobb, Lazy.

So yeah I am repeating what I have heard others say about Matthews...I just dont like him.

That's fine if you don't like him. He still hasn't put up the consistent performances to make people believe he is going to be good. I just don't like the drops perception everyone has.

That's fine if you don't like him. He still hasn't put up the consistent performances to make people believe he is going to be good. I just don't like the drops perception everyone has.

like I said, I remember that exact game you are talking about and that has obviously stuck in peoples heads.

His qb situation is a thing as well. Maybe he pulls a maclin: get heavily targeted in a conservative plan and takes advantage.

Depending on who you're drafting with, Marvin Jones may be available at the same time. Give me Marvin easily cuz of talent, big plays/upside and a bigger opportunity where there's going to be more throws.

Michael Floyd? I'll take him over Matthews as well...he falls from time to time since no one feels great about the target distribution in Zona. I'm taking the cheese on Floyd finally putting it together this time if the price is right.

I wouldn't mind drafting matthews in the 7th or 8th depending on who else is available, but I wouldn't love him needing to be my every week wr2...especially in a 10-team where there's no need to put yourself in Sam Bradford-based peril.

Wouldn't mind him as a 3, but don't love him either. His rookie year was a strong debut. Last year, he was hard to start almost all season, doing little with a pretty decent number of targets. Then he racked up 1/3 of his yards and half of his 8 TDs in weeks 15-17. Given a new coach and a roster overhaul, I'm not convinced we should read those last 3 games as a sign of things to come.

I'm also still a DGB believer, and think he could be the #1 in Philly by year's end. The arrival of DGB and Pederson's focus on his WR1 and TE in KC makes it possible that Matthews ends up being the #3 option in a run-heavy scheme.

Finally, Matthews has been in a kind of ADP dead zone in my drafts this year. By the time we get to the 7th round, I've usually already got my starting receivers and I'd rather wait a another round or two and take Shepard, Diggs, or Snead.

Wouldn't mind him as a 3, but don't love him either. His rookie year was a strong debut. Last year, he was hard to start almost all season, doing little with a pretty decent number of targets. Then he racked up 1/3 of his yards and half of his 8 TDs in weeks 15-17. Given a new coach and a roster overhaul, I'm not convinced we should read those last 3 games as a sign of things to come.

I'm also still a DGB believer, and think he could be the #1 in Philly by year's end. The arrival of DGB and Pederson's focus on his WR1 and TE in KC makes it possible that Matthews ends up being the #3 option in a run-heavy scheme.

Finally, Matthews has been in a kind of ADP dead zone in my drafts this year. By the time we get to the 7th round, I've usually already got my starting receivers and I'd rather wait a another round or two and take Shepard, Diggs, or Snead.

Wow. So a guy who has shown actual ability on the field, Matthews, is projected to be worse than Beckham, who was a hot rookie last year. He was already traded because he can't grasp NFL concepts at receiver. There is absolutely nothing either of these receivers have done that show me DGB is anywhere near the talent Matthews is. Why would a wide receiver needy team trade DGB for basically nothing after only his rookie year? Especially when he had so much hype coming in? DGB is crap. Drop him in dynasty leagues because he will never amount to even 1/2 of what Matthews has already done.

A lot of his problems last year stemmed from being moved out of the slot. I still think he'll have wr2/3 value

Wow. So a guy who has shown actual ability on the field, Matthews, is projected to be worse than Beckham, who was a hot rookie last year. He was already traded because he can't grasp NFL concepts at receiver. There is absolutely nothing either of these receivers have done that show me DGB is anywhere near the talent Matthews is. Why would a wide receiver needy team trade DGB for basically nothing after only his rookie year? Especially when he had so much hype coming in? DGB is crap. Drop him in dynasty leagues because he will never amount to even 1/2 of what Matthews has already done.

I think that's a good way to build a lousy dynasty team. DGB is exactly the kind of high-payout player you hold at the end of your bench in a dynasty. He had some great games last year and has physical talent that could pay massive dividends if he gets his head on straight.

That said, I'm not arguing that DGB is a better player now than Matthews is. What I'm arguing is that if he puts it together in a new environment, he presents a risk to Matthews' presumed #1 receiver status and the default targets that come with it. Because I don't see Matthews as having a huge amount of upside or consistency for his ADP, I'm wary of risks like that in redraft.

Finally, I'm not sure sure the Titans consider themselves needy at receiver anymore after acquiring Rishard Matthews and drafting Tajae Sharpe. Sharpe has probably been one of the highest-risers this preseason. If they see that much in Sharpe, the pick they got back from DGB was probably worth more than trying to finish developing him.

Well with Daniels starting does Matthews value go down..

Yes. I was looking forward to getting him in my keeper league today for cheap. Now if it's more than $1 or $2 I am passing

Turned into a turd in a quick minute.

Yep. You got that right.

First off, it's go be be Wentz starting pretty soon. Haven't watched him play but I'm sure he sucks just like Goff. Meanwhile Dak is NFL ready as a 4th rounder. Great job scouts. Not sure a rookie is worse than Bradford who is pretty awful in his own right. At least a rookie knows to lock on to his main man. Donno, I think this turns JMatt from a value at his adp to a value a round or two below that.

Eagles announced Wentz is starting week 1. I think the result is the same especially early in the season. That is Matthews will have little value early on. The second half of the season he may be ok. It depends on Wentz's growth and who he locks on to.

That Stinks.

Lol will that put a quick end to his value.

Brown scored 10 tds and he had 193 targets

Jones scored 8 tds and he had 203 targets

Matthews scored 8 tds and he had 128 targets.

I was answering the post above that was saying they didn't like Matthews based on his lack of tds.

Drafted him today in rnd 8. Was a bit desperate for wrs after drafting Lacy, McCoy, Rawls and Gio. Thinking the qb can have as good a year as Bradford, which isn't hard since he stinks. 85 1000 7 is not a crazy expectation.

Jordan Matthews had 5 drops all year with one drop every 25.6 tatgets

He had a drop rate of 3.9% which was one of the better drop rates in the nfl.

Everyone likes to just mimic what other people say about Matthews, drops but it's completely false. I will admit I was pissed last year at his drops, but that was because it happened twice in one game early in the season. Plus one of the drops he got smoked on the play while another was a really tough catch.

Mike Evans dropped like 10% of his targets. No one mocks him for his drops. There are a ton of upper tier receivers who have a worse catch rate and drop rate. Matthews is universally singled out for whatever reason. Teddy Ginn is the only other receiver who has his drops brought up, and he genuinely deserves it.

Jordan Matthews is also not a slot receiver. I think that's a bunch of parroted BS too. The guy had the build for X receiver and should be used as such. He isn't a slippery small target who can get lost going over the middle. So until he is used in the x position and actually fails, I am still buying that he is going to be a good receiver.

To be fair, 6 of Evans 11 drops were in one game. A game where he still went 8 for 150. He also had closer to 150 targets, so you're rounding up just a tad...

Everyone in my draft seemed to skirt around him. Then the cost is so low that someone pulls the trigger. Wasn't me. Then people say - good pick - for the price.

He's in that kind of situation. Could be great value or could go pear shaped.

I'm just saying.

Good stuff my man. TDs isn't the problem. I'm hoping he catches more than 85 this year. I hope this rookie can get him the ball. Can he? I drafted him last night so he is now important to me.

HE was the cats meow last year and the team just had a dismissal year. Are we under valuing him? 3rd year break out as the primary receiver by far. They have a great schedule as well. It think he could return 1,200 and 8+ for a wr ranked in the 30's at WR?

Opinions?

I think most people were thinking that the situation wasn't very conducive to a positive outlook. Many feel that Bradford, Daniel, and Wentz... along with a new HC and OC were a few too many question marks.

Now, with Bradford being shipped off, I think the uncertainty of Mathews is even greater. I love the (future), potential he has, but the current situation tells me to stay away until I'm looking for a #4 WR.

I think most people were thinking that the situation wasn't very conducive to a positive outlook. Many feel that Bradford, Daniel, and Wentz... along with a new HC and OC were a few too many question marks.

Now, with Bradford being shipped off, I think the uncertainty of Mathews is even greater. I love the (future), potential he has, but the current situation tells me to stay away until I'm looking for a #4 WR.

you are probably right.

My bet, is he is a WR4-5 for the first 3-5 weeks. He may surprise someone with a big week early. As Wentz gets his feet under him and gets used to the NFL I think Matthews stock will rise as the season progresses. after the first 3-5 weeks he will likely be a WR3-4 and by year end he will be a solid WR3.

Then, Watch out next year....

you are probably right.

My bet, is he is a WR4-5 for the first 3-5 weeks. He may surprise someone with a big week early. As Wentz gets his feet under him and gets used to the NFL I think Matthews stock will rise as the season progresses. after the first 3-5 weeks he will likely be a WR3-4 and by year end he will be a solid WR3.

Then, Watch out next year....

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked to see him as a #3 by seasons end.

Wentz looked great.

Mathew also looked great.

Don't remind me. I abandoned my quest to get him on every team. We do have to remember this was Cleveland.

I am thinking he is this year's Hopkins though. Just tons of targets.

After that performance I have no choice but to promote my 7th round pick into the Flex position.

Congratulations Jordan Mathews and welcome to team GobbleDog!

Haven't watched him play but I'm sure he sucks just like Goff.

Yeah...lol...you were spot on. LOL. Next time...think...thiiiiink first, then post. :)