Sign in to follow this  
fandandy

Carrier to keep 1000 jobs in Indiana

I wasn't talking about Mexico. How much in U.S. taxes would Carrier be paying had those jobs moved to Mexico?

They wouldn't be paying anything, like on all those jobs they did move. Take a 1000+ jobs to Mexico, get tax breaks and a pat on the back from the Governor and President-elect. They couldn't have played this much better . :thumbsup:

They wouldn't be paying anything, like on all those jobs they did move. Take a 1000+ jobs to Mexico, get tax breaks and a pat on the back from the Governor and President-elect. They couldn't have played this much better . :thumbsup:

Yeah, some might call it a win win. The U.S. keeps a good amount of jobs, gets some tax revenue, and some good P.R. for the new administration. The company gets some tax breaks but is still paying taxes and keeps 1000 jobs here. No losers. Only Winners. Trump is WINNING!!!!!

The ineffective left just want to take a victory away from Trump. Nobody took any credit away from Obama for all the jobs he created at Solyndra. How about a little unity?

He picked Carrier. Are they going to do this for every company that decides to outsource?

Are people on the Left really this stupid.

Pay attention, look at Trumps policies after he is POTUS. THat is how he will do it.

Trump, Yes We Can

The Left, No We Can't

Yeah, some might call it a win win. The U.S. keeps a good amount of jobs, gets some tax revenue, and some good P.R. for the new administration. The company gets some tax breaks but is still paying taxes and keeps 1000 jobs here. No losers. Only Winners. Trump is WINNING!!!!!

Go tell the 1300 people whose jobs are going to Mexico there are no losers. That's the part you want to keep ignoring. Trump said there would be "repercussions" for companies that did this. I guess repercussions now mean tax breaks and bribes for not taking as many as they might have. Does it beat the alternative? Sure. But it's still not a great situation or some huge win for America. Are we going to thank every company that only takes a large PART of their workforce out of the country now? What's the precedent here?

Go tell the 1300 people whose jobs are going to Mexico there are no losers. That's the part you want to keep ignoring. Trump said there would be "repercussions" for companies that did this. I guess repercussions now mean tax breaks and bribes for not taking as many as they might have. Does it beat the alternative? Sure. But it's still not a great situation or some huge win for America. Are we going to thank every company that only takes a large PART of their workforce out of the country now? What's the precedent here?

Obummer's fault will be the precedent.

Come on now. Tax breaks have been part of business forever. Hell, I remember when I used to work for a company called Packard Bell. They moved from California to Utah because a suburb of SLC gave them massive tax breaks to move there. Happens all the time, even in the U.S. Communities weigh the benefits of the jobs that will be created, or in this case saved, versus what they have to give in tax breaks. If it's a net positive they make the deal. If not, they let the company walk. But you know all of this. IIRC you're in accounting or something so this logic is something you've seen before. So not sure why you're acting like this isn't common and is a bad thing.

Carrier is cutting half its Indiana workforce and you are congratulating Drumpf for bribing the company to keep the other half temporarily in state.

:doh:

Yes, this move would've been a lot more impressive if they didn't move any jobs to Mexico.

Yes, this move would've been a lot more impressive if they didn't move any jobs to Mexico.

Seriously.

If Trump pushes for eliminating government contracts to firms that offshore or hitting them with huge tariffs as promised I will be singing his praises. Bribing companies to "only" move half their workforce to Mexico is just stupid.

Are people on the Left really this stupid.

Pay attention, look at Trumps policies after he is POTUS. THat is how he will do it.

Trump, Yes We Can

The Left, No We Can't

Well, he said there would be "consequences." For companies that did it. I guess everyone's going to be losers except Carrier. :(

$700,000 annually in tax breaks for 800 jobs. Under $1000 per job. Each job will result in roughly $20-30K in tax revenue.

Is your side really this stupid? :dunno:

Wasn't there also something about Carrier agreeing to invest $20M + over the course of the next ? years?

Does anyone know what that investment looks like or is that number mostly made up of the employee salaries?

Come on now. Tax breaks have been part of business forever. Hell, I remember when I used to work for a company called Packard Bell. They moved from California to Utah because a suburb of SLC gave them massive tax breaks to move there. Happens all the time, even in the U.S. Communities weigh the benefits of the jobs that will be created, or in this case saved, versus what they have to give in tax breaks. If it's a net positive they make the deal. If not, they let the company walk. But you know all of this. IIRC you're in accounting or something so this logic is something you've seen before. So not sure why you're acting like this isn't common and is a bad thing.

Yeah, stuff like this is pretty common, but I thought we were looking to change things? Drain the swamp and all that? This sounds like the same old same. Trump's tough stance on jobs is one of the things I actually liked about him. I hope he follows through on this stuff but I think we need some new tactics besides tax breaks. I don't claim to know what those are, I don't know that tariffs are the answer. I like the idea of being excluded from federal contract consideration and things along those line. There should be great leverage with the American economy and we need to figure out how to better exploit that.

To be clear, I really want him to win on this issue, but I'm not going to fellate him while 1300 jobs are still going to Mexico. :dunno:

Seriously.

If Trump pushes for eliminating government contracts to firms that offshore or hitting them with huge tariffs as promised I will be singing his praises. Bribing companies to "only" move half their workforce to Mexico is just stupid.

I have to think the execs at UT want to stay in good graces with incoming administration, and I'm certain their defense contracts were on thier minds while this mini deal was being brokered for media attention.

Trump/Pence might not have directly said keep jobs here or lose your defense contracts, but they had to know they'd be at risk if they didn't come to the table with something.

Yeah, stuff like this is pretty common, but I thought we were looking to change things? Drain the swamp and all that? This sounds like the same old same. Trump's tough stance on jobs is one of the things I actually liked about him. I hope he follows through on this stuff but I think we need some new tactics besides tax breaks. I don't claim to know what those are, I don't know that tariffs are the answer. I like the idea of being excluded from federal contract consideration and things along those line. There should be great leverage with the American economy and we need to figure out to exploit that.

To be clear, I really want him to win on this issue, but I'm not going to fellate him while 1300 jobs are still going to Mexico. :dunno:

This is one case, and he's not even in office yet. He was able to make this deal because fortunately his running mate is the governor of the state where this deal was made. He can't enact new policies yet. Let's give him a chance and give him credit for at least making a symbolic gesture that is also helping 1000 people keep their jobs.

I have to think the execs at UT want to stay in good graces with incoming administration, and I'm certain their defense contracts were on thier minds while this mini deal was being brokered for media attention.

Trump/Pence might not have directly said keep jobs here or lose your defense contracts, but they had to know they'd be at risk if they didn't come to the table with something.

I'm sure that was part of it too. Still, is this a sustainable long term strategy? Individually strong arm companies into only outsourcing 50% of their workforce with tax cuts and the threat of losing government contracts?

If this is Trump's plan for bringing the manufacturing jobs back that industry is focked.

Maybe I'm confused.

Average pay for Carrier employees: http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=Carrier_Corporation/Salary

Average amount in taxes by someone making 40,000 a year in the state of Indiana: https://smartasset.com/taxes/indiana-tax-calculator#seW0BveeX9

Seems like simple math says this is a +EV. Sure, we'd love to have all jobs stay here. But, that's just not feasible in any aspect of modern day business.

Trump hasn't even been inaugurated yet and everyone only focuses on the "well he didn't do this" angles. Why not express some gratitude that the guy is actually TRYING to better this country. Even if it's a very small impact?

Obama has a beer summit (fail) and its applauded. Trump steps up and saves some jobs that were on their way to an already built factory, and the people had been told their jobs were gone, and he's criticized. Lol

Obummer saved millions of auto industry jobs and the GOP rips him. Donald Drumpf bribes Carrier to only move half its workforce to Mexico and it's cause for celebration.

You can't make this up. Next think you know the Drumpf rubes are going to say Drumpf won't bring manufacturing jobs back or build a border wall.

Obummer saved millions of auto industry jobs and the GOP rips him. Donald Drumpf bribes Carrier to only move half its workforce to Mexico and it's cause for celebration.

You can't make this up. Next think you know the Drumpf rubes are going to say Drumpf won't bring manufacturing jobs back or build a border wall.

No, he didn't. Good talking point though.

Seriously, this ain't sh!t. Trump slobbed the corporate knob just like the rest to gain this little tiny win.

At the end of the day, these companies need us more than we need them. Ship all our jobs over seas huh. Who the h3ll going to buy your $700 iphone? Some poor schmuck in China your paying $5 a day to build it? Fat chance. These companies need the great American consumer more than we need them. Until a politician approaches this issue with this mindset (like Bernie would have done), it's nothing but more of the same.

No, he didn't. Good talking point though.

They just say things.

Seriously, this ain't sh!t. Trump slobbed the corporate knob just like the rest to gain this little tiny win.

At the end of the day, these companies need us more than we need them. Ship all our jobs over seas huh. Who the h3ll going to buy your $700 iphone? Some poor schmuck in China your paying $5 a day to build it? Fat chance. These companies need the great American consumer more than we need them. Until a politician approaches this issue with this mindset (like Bernie would have done), it's nothing but more of the same.

Drumpf is going to hit em with a :5% tariff.

He promised.

At the end of the day, these companies need us more than we need them. Ship all our jobs over seas huh. Who the h3ll going to buy your $700 iphone? Some poor schmuck in China your paying $5 a day to build it? Fat chance.

Apple sold more iPhones in China than in the US.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/electronics/11567022/Apple-sells-more-iPhones-in-China-than-US-for-first-time.html

HTH

More Americans are kissing the workforce goodbye – not because they’re financially secure but because they can’t find a job. A record 95 million people are sitting on the sidelines opting not to work. As a result, the labor participation rate is stuck at 62.7%, a 40-year low.

More Americans are kissing the workforce goodbye – not because they’re financially secure but because they can’t find a job. A record 95 million people are sitting on the sidelines opting not to work. As a result, the labor participation rate is stuck at 62.7%, a 40-year low.

Senile boy forgets to link...thus plagiarizing someone else's words once again.

I.. Just.. Can't...... Anymore..

I knew keeping these jobs in Indiana was a bad thing, I just wasn't sure why, Thank you liberals for showing me the light.

I appreciate it.

:thumbsup:

I.. Just.. Can't...... Anymore..

I knew keeping these jobs in Indiana was a bad thing, I just wasn't sure why, Thank you liberals for showing me the light.

I appreciate it.

:thumbsup:

You all like making things up.

Has anyone said keeping the jobs in Indiana was a bad thing? Anyone at all?

You all like making things up.

Has anyone said keeping the jobs in Indiana was a bad thing? Anyone at all?

You read everything I write. You know it and I know it. You can't help yourself. Sad.

Of course there are going to be jobs during the beginning of November. It's called seasonal work. It's also critical that the jobs report paints a good picture right now so the FED can raise the interest rates.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/analysis-high-pressure-jobs-report-locks-in-rate-increase-1480687813

As for the participation rate

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/02/unemployment-rate-fell-but-a-more-realistic-rate-is-higher.html

Can someone tell me which metric we are supposed to follow to know whether the job market is doing well? Because I have a feeling that when unemployment and the # of people not participating in the workforce goes up during Trump's term we're going to hear a lot about how those figure don't matter at all.

Can someone tell me which metric we are supposed to follow to know whether the job market is doing well? Because I have a feeling that when unemployment and the # of people not participating in the workforce goes up during Trump's term we're going to hear a lot about how those figure don't matter at all.

I expect he will be using the current metric the second he takes office..the one that has unemployment below 5% and we won't hear so much about the 42 million unemployed he was talking about on the campaign trail.

The more facts that come out about this deal, it appears the Indiana just hit the lottery. Going to make upwards of $100M for $7M of incentives when they could have lost millions. What a no-brainer this is. :thumbsup:

Yes. The metric is how many companies contine to offshore work, how frequently Trump criticizes, shames, and punishes companies that move overseas, how many activist owners will still publicly call for disinvestment from manufacturing plants in the US and advocate building them overseas and in how many Wall Street oriented magazines continue to lecture companies that don't move overseas.

Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania (and Ohio) didn't vote for racism. They supported The Black Debbil himself. No, they voted for Trump because Trump promised to change the perspective, business practices, and ethics of these a$$holes. They have a responsibility to their workers, their communities and their country. Corporate managers need to see which way the wind is blowing and needs to go through cultural shift as to how they think about these things. And if they don't. if tehy still want to go through with it, let them see that the President will show up and give a speech in front of the plant they're closing down to give them hell over it.

The more facts that come out about this deal, it appears the Indiana just hit the lottery. Going to make upwards of $100M for $7M of incentives when they could have lost millions. What a no-brainer this is. :thumbsup:

I think we would all be interested in seeing some of these facts you keep mentioning. TIA

Soooooooooooo

Palin went on record and knocked this deal.... interesting

So...obviously it was a good deal then.

Or is this her way of declining any possible spot rumored for her.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-had-investments-in-carrier-corp-s-parent-1480723443

I have not read all of this (not registered...so anyone who is can read it all though...looking for it elsewhere).

At least at some point (2014) Trump owned shares of UTX to the tune of about $250,000.

It looks like it was reported here in May. (How do I make the here blue with the link?)

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/05/19/donald-trump-profited-investment-carriers-parent-company/84593308/

I certainly hope Trump sold those shares now that the company has started making decisions that help Americans and not necessarily their bottom line.