Sign in to follow this  
edjr

At what age do people usually realize religion is a scam?

I don't say much about my faith here anymore. GC is mostly a place where faith/belief/spiritual experience is ridiculed. I know that. Been here almost 20 years.

Obviously, a lot of people follow Christ in this world and I am one of those. Not sure if I am religious as I don't know what that even means anymore, but I believe finding and being a part of a church is important/vital if you profess Christ. I know there are churches that engage in all sorts of stuff that discredits them, but like someone said, most churches aren't like that. The Bible calls for Christians to meet together and some of that is to encourage others more than to ascertain something for "me".

Bottom line: I know GC is mostly a faith-less bunch. I accept that and I like you guys anyway. But, for some of us, belief has grown stronger and stronger with time- not declined.

You're a good dude, and I honestly believe, if religion makes you happy, that's great. Religion has set a lot of people straight that were going down, bad paths, or were already there.

I am even okay with Scientology, as my uncle wrote the book :D

Just don't be pissed when I walk though the gates and high five the supreme being in font of ya.

I don't say much about my faith here anymore. GC is mostly a place where faith/belief/spiritual experience is ridiculed. I know that. Been here almost 20 years.

Obviously, a lot of people follow Christ in this world and I am one of those. Not sure if I am religious as I don't know what that even means anymore, but I believe finding and being a part of a church is important/vital if you profess Christ. I know there are churches that engage in all sorts of stuff that discredits them, but like someone said, most churches aren't like that. The Bible calls for Christians to meet together and some of that is to encourage others more than to ascertain something for "me".

Bottom line: I know GC is mostly a faith-less bunch. I accept that and I like you guys anyway. But, for some of us, belief has grown stronger and stronger with time- not declined.

:thumbsup:

92% of the worlds population belong to a religious group.

?

25% of Americans list none as the religious affiliation.

So good job Hut living sand eating people who still believe.

Tupac and Biggie arrive at the Pearly Gates. The gates are beautiful. Made of gold and encrusted with diamonds and pearls. St Peter is there to greet them.

Saint Peter says, well hello, how may I help you?

yeah, we be here for eternal life and reward and shiit!

St. Pete says, Just one minute while I check our records. He scampers off.

God! My Lord! There are two rather sketchy looking black men at the Pearly Gates!

God says, St Peter I am ashamed of you. We do not discriminate in heaven. Please, return to your duties and allow these young men into the kingdom of God.

St Peter leaves and then returns dejected.

God says, what is wrong my son?

Well, they're gone!

God: The black men?

St. Pete: The Pearly Gates!!😠

Yeah, Lord know there's never any trouble around religion. :thumbsup:

I mentioned the extremists... so dont try to split hairs. Im talking non extremists, regular people who go to church

My folks made me go as a kid. Mom gave me the choice at 14 whether or not I wanted to continue going. Haven't been back since.

I think religion/church does do a lot of good for a lot of people, as others have pointed out. It just isn't my thing. :dunno:

I don't need to make fun of them to feel better about myself though.

This is a little off topic. But I could never understand how someone could be a piece of crap when they were alive. But once they die, all of a sudden they're a good person. Or just misunderstood.

As far as I'm concerned. If you were a piece of trash when you were alive. Then when you die, you're just a dead piece of trash.

My folks made me go as a kid. Mom gave me the choice at 14 whether or not I wanted to continue going. Haven't been back since.

I think religion/church does do a lot of good for a lot of people, as others have pointed out. It just isn't my thing. :dunno:

I don't need to make fun of them to feel better about myself though.

I don't make fun of the people that go, or that get benefit from it.

I make fun of the religion itself.

I don't make fun of the people that go, or that get benefit from it.

I make fun of the religion itself.

The problem with religion is that predators know people are drawn to those places like a watering hole in Africa. Sechs predators, scammers, charlatans, etc........they all set up shop at these places because they know people WANT to buy what they're selling; hope.

The really focked up part is that these predators can bounce from church to church with impunity because their previous church won't disclose what they were removed for.

• Like 1

I can speak to God or pray anywhere I please. I don't need to be inside a church during a service being told when to stand and sit and kneel and chanting the same hymns with the crowd ....

:thumbsup: I remember a former pastor of ours once saying,"people this building is nothing but that,4 walls and a roof,you are the church,this building is nothing more than a place we choose to congregate."

:thumbsup: I remember a former pastor of ours once saying,"people this building is nothing but that,4 walls and a roof,you are the church,this building is nothing more than a place we choose to congregate."

and tell stories that can't possibly be true.

I went to church and Sunday school every Sunday as a kid, communion, confirmation etc. I seriously dont ever remember a time when I believed any of it.

I went to church and Sunday school every Sunday as a kid, communion, confirmation etc. I seriously dont ever remember a time when I believed any of it.

What bothered me was Sunday School. My friends would be FORCED to go. Why force a kid to go to that bullchit? Not like it was a real school where they were learning about stuff, that you know, actually happened and is real?

What bothered me was Sunday School. My friends would be FORCED to go. Why force a kid to go to that bullchit? Not like it was a real school where they were learning about stuff, that you know, actually happened and is real?

That bothers me a lot. My brother and sister have kids that they take to Sunday school and then post on Facebook how much they loved it. It's like they had no option. It's not like they are getting introduced to any other religions.

But that's how it starts. They have these fun little classes were they can sprinkle religion in and you see your parents liking it so you just don't know any better.

That bothers me a lot. My brother and sister have kids that they take to Sunday school and then post on Facebook how much they loved it. It's like they had no option. It's not like they are getting introduced to any other religions.

But that's how it starts. They have these fun little classes were they can sprinkle religion in and you see your parents liking it so you just don't know any better.

And especially piss me off, when we'd be out playing and he would have to go to sunday school :mad:

And especially piss me off, when we'd be out playing and he would have to go to sunday school :mad:

You ever have some friends that just couldn't even play on Sunday? Had a couple of those.

At what age do people stop caring what other people do that has no affect on them? I could see concern about a cult like Islam, where they preach violence, but modern Christianity doesn't really have an affect on non members. Get over yourselves.

I must not be worldly enough then. My churchs services are no fire and brimstone.. screaming at the pulpit kind of stuff. Its a guy talking about passages in the bible and how they relate to our everyday problems... raising kids... money...frustrations at work...marriage issues...all sorts of topics and how to get theough them.

This is my experience as well.

Most of the people in my church dont beleive in bible inerrancy, so the Bible is more of a reference document than a rule book.

None of the congregation believes that god has control over every aspect of their lives. We are humans and we all make choices for ourselves. In fact, yesterdays sermon was exactly about that.

Its shameful what some of the mega churches and televangelists do in the name of god. No question its a scam.

As for the faith, I dont really have blind faith in anything. I just dont. So, I dont profess to know about an afterlife or any of that.

So I go there, play music, listen to the sermon, play some more music, help the needy, engage with my community and get some positivity in my life after being constantly surrounded by hate, violence, apathy and sadness.

As I said before, its like a going for a nice leisurely walk in the woods after riding the subway of life all week.

Just for clarification, I have no issue with religion, churches, temples etc. I think anything that can bring people together is a positive. Church communities can be wonderful things.

I do have issues with preachy people and converters.

But those who simply share a common belief and have church picnics and basketball games. Good for them. It's all good stuff

i believe most churches are well intentioned, can have a positive impact on their communities, and can provide positive core value to live by.

I start to have issues with "the Church" when members and leaders become self righteous and attempt to insert these beliefs into policy. what is good for some is not necessarily good for all.

You ever have some friends that just couldn't even play on Sunday? Had a couple of those.

Never heard of that. honestly.

That's murder the entire family sort of upbringing right there

At what age do people stop caring what other people do that has no affect on them? I could see concern about a cult like Islam, where they preach violence, but modern Christianity doesn't really have an affect on non members. Get over yourselves.

I'm guessing gay marriage folks and those seeking an abortion disagree with you.

At what age do people stop caring what other people do that has no affect on them?

sure. when that occurs, wonderful.

I could see concern about a cult like Islam, where they preach violence, but modern Christianity doesn't really have an affect on non members. Get over yourselves.

I think you might be underestimating how and when modern Christianity impacts law and policy

I'm guessing gay marriage folks and those seeking an abortion disagree with you.

They're both legal. Point? And it's not just religious people opposed to them. I'm not religious and I think abortion is immoral. And while I DGAF about gay marriage, the slippery slope argument is proving to be true.

• Like 1

Took me about til age 10 or 11 to logically figure out the stories in the Bible are scientifically impossible and thus the whole religion was debunked. I then deduced that since every religion says theirs is the only true one, none of them are real. I’m actually embarrassed that it took me that long.

Be religious all you want if it makes you happy. Unicorns and elves make me happy and they don’t exist so it’s really no big deal.

Most mosques don't preach hate... just like most Christian churches don't but you've decided they do because it fits your narrative. Get over yourself.

That said, religion is full of . Good people can get together and form a community without believing stories that were supposedly passed down by word of mouth for decades before being written down, then translated to benefit the translator, then retranslated to benefit the translator, then re-retranslated to again benefit the translator all the while enabling people to prey on the weaker members of society. It's disgusting. A good person is a good person. If you're only good because you're afraid of hell, you're a focking dirtbag and aren't getting into your heaven anyway.

Think how much time and resources have been wasted on religion that could be spent in better ways. If we took all the money donated to churches over the past 20 years and put it all into cancer research, I believe we'd have a cure.

No but my niece (36C) was married to a Jehova's Witness and they couldn't stand for the National Anthem nor recite the Pledge of Allegiance nor celebrate Christmas.

Most mosques don't preach hate... just like most Christian churches don't but you've decided they do because it fits your narrative. Get over yourself.

That said, religion is full of ######. Good people can get together and form a community without believing stories that were supposedly passed down by word of mouth for decades before being written down, then translated to benefit the translator, then retranslated to benefit the translator, then re-retranslated to again benefit the translator all the while enabling people to prey on the weaker members of society. It's disgusting. A good person is a good person. If you're only good because you're afraid of hell, you're a focking dirtbag and aren't getting into your heaven anyway.

Think how much time and resources have been wasted on religion that could be spent in better ways. If we took all the money donated to churches over the past 20 years and put it all into cancer research, I believe we'd have a cure.

Most? Some of them teach the opposite of what the prophet Muhammad laid down? I didn't know that.

They're both legal. Point? And it's not just religious people opposed to them. I'm not religious and I think abortion is immoral. And while I DGAF about gay marriage, the slippery slope argument is proving to be true.

Lol..legal now after decades and decades of opposition from the RELIGIOUS RIGHT.

Slippery slope of being equal? Yeah..how awful.

Most? Some of them teach the opposite of what the prophet Muhammad laid down? I didn't know that.

Are you suggesting that religious places teach word for word everything in their holy books? Does that only pertain to Islam in your world or is it possible that, just like most Christian churches are not stoning people who get divorced, most mosques are not teaching people to behead infidels?

Be religious all you want if it makes you happy. Unicorns and elves make me happy and they don’t exist so it’s really no big deal.

This is a great point.

Some of the boards biggest religious dopes, laugh at people that used to play Dungeons and Dragons. Apparently, only they can play fantasy.

Bad enough getting forced to go to Sunday School as a kid, but the absolute worst was Vacation Bible School (VBS) during the summer. :mad:

My experience was similar to whoever said they were given the choice at 14 whether to attend church. I think I was 12 or 13 when given the same choice. Never went back.

Bad enough getting forced to go to Sunday School as a kid, but the absolute worst was Vacation Bible School (VBS) during the summer. :mad:

My experience was similar to whoever said they were given the choice at 14 whether to attend church. I think I was 12 or 13 when given the same choice. Never went back.

I'm guessing at, 12, 13 and 14, the only kids that kept going, had no choice.

Are you suggesting that religious places teach word for word everything in their holy books? Does that only pertain to Islam in your world or is it possible that, just like most Christian churches are not stoning people who get divorced, most mosques are not teaching people to behead infidels?

Well, Jesus, who Christianity is all about, never said to stone or harm anyone. So if anyone is teaching that, it's not in his name. Now on the other hand, Muhammad , who Islam is all about, had a bit of a violence thing going on. He demanded it.

I start to have issues with "the Church" when members and leaders become self righteous and attempt to insert these beliefs into policy. what is good for some is not necessarily good for all.

This is a stereotype that I am sure occurs. But people outside the church seem to think it happens a lot. It doesn't. A vast majority of religious don't want laws based on the Bible. (Although the 10 Commandments is pretty much the foundation for our laws.).

Lol..legal now after decades and decades of opposition from the RELIGIOUS RIGHT.

Slippery slope of being equal? Yeah..how awful.

You think the gay marriage issue was fought for decades and decades? I'd say they won that one pretty quick, considering where they started. Even the gay community was surprised about how quickly they achieved that. Mostly because no one cares. Even most religious people.

This is a stereotype that I am sure occurs. But people outside the church seem to think it happens a lot. It doesn't. A vast majority of religious don't want laws based on the Bible. (Although the 10 Commandments is pretty much the foundation for our laws.).

i disagree. abortion, gay marriage, death penalty, suicide, assisted suicide, divorce vs annulment, birth control (privacy, age, etc).... all on the Christian platform

i disagree. abortion, gay marriage, death penalty, suicide, assisted suicide, divorce vs annulment, birth control (privacy, age, etc).... all on the Christian platform

I'll stand by my statement that a vast majority of religious either agree or disagree with these laws on a belief not based in religion. I'll bet you are conflicted on them, and you aren't religious.

You don't have to be religious to be for or against any of those issues. And who wants to make divorce illegal? Or birth control? What exactly has religion prevented from being legal?