Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Early 2000s things you actually miss

Its not so much things I miss, as things that didnt exist then that do now.

Social media and its constant ridiculous vapors.

Militant PC culture.

Things like that.

Militant PC culture.

Things like that.

So you miss the simplicity and overall calmness of America then? Makes sense. I do too. Back then, the internet for the masses was still new. You could go to chat rooms at night and talk with people or get photos of girls (A/S/L anyone? lol). Getting music off of Napter, KaZaa, or limewire. Having to actually sign in to AOL to search online. Playing RuneScape with the 2D sprites. Watching TRL and actually having music on mtv. Good old days

The US.

Eating food I like.

So you miss the simplicity and overall calmness of America then? Makes sense. I do too. Back then, the internet for the masses was still new. You could go to chat rooms at night and talk with people or get photos of girls (A/S/L anyone? lol). Getting music off of Napter, KaZaa, or limewire. Having to actually sign in to AOL to search online. Playing RuneScape with the 2D sprites. Watching TRL and actually having music on mtv. Good old days

Maybe my perception is off because those were my college and law school early 20s years, but it seems people were happier then. Now everyone is such a miserable butthurt kvnt all the time. It really shocks me every time I go home now how p!ssed and generally unhappy people are.

Lakers vs Spurs every May from 01-04

Florida election results conspiracy theories

Britney Spears

The Email era/Pre Texting era

Dennis Miller show on HBO

Nick at Nite- Classic sitcom marathons. Each show had their own night.

Stacy Keibler on WCW Nitro/WWE Raw

Rusty posting daily "girl fight videos" on the Geek Club.

• Like 1

a balanced federal budget.

Lakers vs Spurs every May from 01-04

Florida election results conspiracy theories

Britney Spears

The Email era/Pre Texting era

Dennis Miller show on HBO

Nick at Nite- Classic sitcom marathons. Each show had their own night.

Stacy Keibler on WCW Nitro/WWE Raw

Rusty posting daily "girl fight videos" on the Geek Club.

Some good stuff on here. Its amazing how fast the world has changed. My nephew (15) doesnt even comprehend how things were when we were kids.

Once, he was in my car, and I told him to call a friend of mine from high school, and was also staying at his parents for the weekend.

He said the number isnt in your phone.

I said I know. Its (901) 756-4xxx.

How do you know that?

Back in the day we didnt have cell phones. There was no storage of numbers. I can still tell you all my high school friends phone numbers 20 years later.

Mind blown.

I also miss nick at night. And music videos on mtv. From about 1991 to 1995, thats all we watched. MTV beach house baby!

Then came road rules and the real word, and it all died.

My thick mane of hair. And the Sopranos.

The tail. I definitely got laid in my early 20s more then any other timeframe in my life, that seems like a while ago :(

The World Trade Center

Never forget. :bandana:

No Facebook

I now understand why my grandparents never bought a computer.

I'm becoming old and grumpy, and I'm not old.

The Geek Club was much more entertaining back then. As the board nobody, I miss those days.

The Geek Club was much more entertaining back then. As the board nobody, I miss those days.

Maybe you can take up the mantle and become a board somebody. Its a very prestigious title. So prestigious that it doesn't even get capitalized

A peacetime Army

Napster was fantastic as a college student in 2000

Trying to remember some if the cartoons / shows I watched with my kids when they were young. Cat Dog comes to mind. :thumbsup:

Maybe my perception is off because those were my college and law school early 20s years, but it seems people were happier then. Now everyone is such a miserable butthurt kvnt all the time. It really shocks me every time I go home now how p!ssed and generally unhappy people are.

The scary thing is this perception doesn't just come from fondly whitewashing the past.

The counselors at the HS I work at have noticed that in the last couple of years there's been a definite crappiness uptick (across all socio-economic groups) in how people deal with each other, operate selfishly, and have corrosive attitudes. Since there's special programs at the school, they have heavy parental contact, and contact w/other stakeholders, not just the students. Their roles really place them in a spot to be a barometer of how people in general are doing. We have elitist parents because of one major program, we have the other end of that spectrum, and various inbetween. This undeniable shift is alarming to them, and unlike me, they're not cynic-leaning with a worldview-borne expectation of a societal trend like this happening. So that in turn takes my attention, it's not confirmation bias for them, they're really seeing this. It takes them aback, whereas in theory I would be like 'it figures.' But I guess deep down it still takes me aback too, if that makes sense.

Maybe you can take up the mantle and become a board somebody. Its a very prestigious title. So prestigious that it doesn't even get capitalized

Nah, I'm cool with being the board nobody.

Militant PC culture.

Things like that.

The pre-social media/pre-smartphone/camera phone era.

Back when you decided if you liked or did not like someone based on how they looked and acted in person, how you connected with them, maybe a little gossip you heard. Now people just run through the other person's dating profile or social media feeds and then apply stereotypes and biases, so that they have a preconceived notion of who they think you are even if it is all based on manufactured moments. There are definitely some shallow advantages to that, but it really can put a damper on authentic relationships and even kill them before they start.

Also back in the day, hanging out with a group, be it dinner or a bbq or a party or the beach, and everyone is present. Talking to each other. Cracking jokes, talking ######, waxing poetic. Sharing a common experience and bonding. Imprinting those memories in the brain. Nowadays most people are either constantly distracted by texts and notifications and snaps and games or constantly trying to capture the perfectly rigged moment to post to social media and share with people in the hopes of scoring attention and likes. It is difficult to to experience the same shared sense of time and place when half the group is mentally somewhere else. This leads to less meaningful, memorable, or authentic experiences.

One of the reasons I love concerts and the outdoors. They still have the power to capture the eyes and ears and mind and heart with their beauty and energy and inspiration and simplicity. Sure there are still plenty of jackoffs that still can't put down the smartphone, but for many it is an opportunity to let go, just be.

tldr: I like run on sentences and hate smartphones.

The pre-social media/pre-smartphone/camera phone era.

Back when you decided if you liked or did not like someone based on how they looked and acted in person, how you connected with them, maybe a little gossip you heard. Now people just run through the other person's dating profile or social media feeds and then apply stereotypes and biases, so that they have a preconceived notion of who they think you are even if it is all based on manufactured moments. There are definitely some shallow advantages to that, but it really can put a damper on authentic relationships and even kill them before they start.

Also back in the day, hanging out with a group, be it dinner or a bbq or a party or the beach, and everyone is present. Talking to each other. Cracking jokes, talking ######, waxing poetic. Sharing a common experience and bonding. Imprinting those memories in the brain. Nowadays most people are either constantly distracted by texts and notifications and snaps and games or constantly trying to capture the perfectly rigged moment to post to social media and share with people in the hopes of scoring attention and likes. It is difficult to to experience the same shared sense of time and place when half the group is mentally somewhere else. This leads to less meaningful, memorable, or authentic experiences.

One of the reasons I love concerts and the outdoors. They still have the power to capture the eyes and ears and mind and heart with their beauty and energy and inspiration and simplicity. Sure there are still plenty of jackoffs that still can't put down the smartphone, but for many it is an opportunity to let go, just be.

tldr: I like run on sentences and hate smartphones.

Actually concerts now are laregly ruined by hundreds of people holding up these cellphones to record the concert so they can post it on social media

The scary thing is this perception doesn't just come from fondly whitewashing the past.

The counselors at the HS I work at have noticed that in the last couple of years there's been a definite crappiness uptick (across all socio-economic groups) in how people deal with each other, operate selfishly, and have corrosive attitudes. Since there's special programs at the school, they have heavy parental contact, and contact w/other stakeholders, not just the students. Their roles really place them in a spot to be a barometer of how people in general are doing. We have elitist parents because of one major program, we have the other end of that spectrum, and various inbetween. This undeniable shift is alarming to them, and unlike me, they're not cynic-leaning with a worldview-borne expectation of a societal trend like this happening. So that in turn takes my attention, it's not confirmation bias for them, they're really seeing this. It takes them aback, whereas in theory I would be like 'it figures.' But I guess deep down it still takes me aback too, if that makes sense.

What?

Actually concerts now are laregly ruined by hundreds of people holding up these cellphones to record the concert so they can post it on social media

They learned from their parents. I spent ten years behind a camera recording behind a lense everything my daughter did. They're doing it now.

I miss my freedom. Being on the road and working in the field. Exploring my state going parish to parish meeting new people and feeling alive.