Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Brown Shoes

I see guys on ESPN mostly wearing these with suits. Primarily a lighter shade of blue suit. Other than khakis, there's no way I could pull off brown shoes. I don't know why you would.

Typically only wear them with khakis, but have worn them with light grey too. I'm not fashionable. As long as my wife doesn't tell me I look like an idiot, I just go with it.

I prefer a pair of dark brown shoes with khakis and navy pants. Youre right though, black shoes with a suit.

I have a grey suit and a navy blue suit. I wear brown shoes with both. I would say I look stunning in both suits, but my wife (34D) says I only look extremely handsome.

• Like 1

I have a grey suit and a navy blue suit. I wear brown shoes with both. I would say I look stunning in both suits, but my wife (34D) says I only look extremely handsome.

Sadly, you're both wrong.

yeah - I've tried... can't do the brown shoes.

Black belt. Black shoes with any sort of formal or business attire.

You guys are old and not hip.

I wear brown shoes with khakis and blue pants. Grey, black and often olive pants go better with black shoes. Belt always matches the shoes.

All of my suits will have either black shoes or cordovan (maroon) shoes/belt.

I get where your heads are at, as that's what we grew up with.....but fashion pulled a 180 on you all.

Charcoal suit, grey suit, navy suit.......the current style is (often very light) brown shoes go with that.

The only suit that still works with black shoes is a black suit.

Adapt or die.

I get where your heads are at, as that's what we grew up with.....but fashion pulled a 180 on you all.

Charcoal suit, grey suit, navy suit.......the current style is (often very light) brown shoes go with that.

Adapt or die.

Do they go with your man romper too?

Do they go with your man romper too?

Oh brother :rolleyes:

Brown or black shoes are the last thing to wear with a man romper, dumbass

• Like 1

http://www.asuitthatfits.com/offthecuff/brown-shoes-suits/

There’s a certain type of man who’s afraid of brown shoes. I know because I used to be one of them. When it came to dress shoes, I thought I had everything I needed – Chelsea boots, cap-toe Oxfords, perforated brogues – but if you asked me why all of them were black, I’d probably have looked at you uncomfortably.

I thought wearing black shoes was playing it safe – that brown shoes would limit my options. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Yes, when you’re wearing a black suit, you should probably wear black shoes. But the fact is that, this example aside, brown shoes are just as versatile as black. Navy, charcoal gray, light gray, tan and ivory are all enhanced beautifully by a pair of brown shoes. A navy or a vibrant blue suit is actually one of the best brown shoe combinations out there.

Click the link for super handsome guys that are dressed well in brown shoes. :thumbsup:

So where do we stand on oxblood?

Always drink it - best part of the ox. 🍷

• Like 1

The only pair of brown shoes I own is because of a wedding I was in. I don't wear khakis so no point in me buying brown shoes. Once you go black, you never go back.

I am of the opinion that it follows the same rules as brown from the link I posted.

Plus, when people ask about your shoes, it's cool to say "Oxblood"

Interesting. Brown is my default color; I only wear black shoes with black or gray. I don't know if I could pull off brown shoes with gray slacks though; seems wrong. :dunno:

I always wanted some oxblood Dr. Martens but they don't make them in the UK anymore. I've read the quality is garbage now.

Interesting. Brown is my default color; I only wear black shoes with black or gray. I don't know if I could pull off brown shoes with gray slacks though; seems wrong. :dunno:

This. Black shoes shouldn't be worn with a blue suit.

Adapt or die.

:thumbsup:

Wear brown shoes quite a bit.

I have seen a lot of the light brown shoes with blue slacks. The one that is killing me I see all the time in airports is blue slacks, light brown shoes and a black sports coat. WTF?

That's another name for Cordovan? I wear these with navy suits (formal) or khaki (less formal).

That's another name for Cordovan? I wear these with navy suits (formal) or khaki (less formal).

Or burgundy.

Same here...and black with Navy suits never made sense...black and Navy look terrible together.

Heres a man with a sense of style.

There are no rules about black being the only acceptable dress shoe color.

Real shell cordovan is a shoe leather that literally comes from a horses ass.

Its not actually horse hide. Rather, its the flat muscle (shell) that lies beneath the horses hide.

There are other cowhide leather shoes that mimic the cordovan color, but the real stuff is pretty unique.

Same here...and black with Navy suits never made sense...black and Navy look terrible together.

Fashion and style are very subjective. I wear brown, black or cordovan with any color suit.

My final decision on shoes/belts is made once Ive selected the shirt and tie.

brown with Blue? yup. I get it.

Brown with Gray? no focking way... black and gray were born for each other.

Oxblood is much better with grey and navy suits.

The Legend of Ron cordovan?

Damn traders. They have 47 names for condensate but can't handle a shoe color other than black or brown.

Adapt or die.

Velcro in or out? How about socks?

I'm more of a Classics guy. I find that nothing goes better with my Jorts than black wingtips.

Adapt or die.

Yep, but not dark brown nubuck crap we grew up with. Need to find the right light brown/smidge of beige kind of shoe.

Standard Rule of thumb has always been...

Brown shoes - daytime wear

Black shoes - evening wear

brown with Blue? yup. I get it.

Brown with Gray? no focking way... black and gray were born for each other.

Depends on the shirt/tie combo under the suit for gray

Standard Rule of thumb has always been...

Brown shoes - daytime wear

Black shoes - evening wear

Nope. Sorry.