Sign in to follow this  
AAF suspends operations in first season...

SHOCKING!!  Not really...

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26423928/source-aaf-suspends-operations-1st-season

The Alliance of American Football is suspending operations Tuesday, a source told ESPN's Michael Rothstein, confirming multiple reports.

The league will hold a call with all players and staff at 1 p.m. ET Tuesday afternoon, the source said.

Tom Dundon, who became the AAF's majority owner in February, had said last week that the league was in danger of folding without help from the National Football League Players Association.

Dundon, who also owns the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes, made a $250 million investment in the AAF last month after the league reportedly was in danger of not making payroll.

The eight-team AAF, billed as a development league, kicked off the weekend following the Super Bowl. The league is seven games into its 10-game regular season.

ProFootballTalk was first to report that the league would suspend operations.

How can smart people be so dumb?  Investing 250 million dollars into that last month?  What an idiot.  

That's like Brewster's Millions kinda shiot.

Not to worry! The XXFL is coming!  🤑

I think there is only so much market for sports in general and for football in particular.  Its a factor of saturation

Didn't they learn anything from the declining NFL viewership.  :lol:

I'll pay 25 cents for an Atlanta Legends jersey.

Sports just don't capture the same percentage of viewers as they used to. There are too many other avenues of entertainment.

The tragedy of life is often not in our failure, but rather in our complacency; not in our doing too much, but rather in our doing too little; not in our living above our ability, but rather in our living below our capacities.

there are aspects to the lingerie bowl hopefully the NFL adopts.

2 minutes ago, taco breath said:

there are aspects to the lingerie bowl hopefully the NFL adopts.

You get off seeing a 300+ pound guy wearing lingerie?

Just now, posty said:

You get off seeing a 300+ pound guy wearing lingerie?

i like em chubby. :dunno:

8 minutes ago, taco breath said:

i like em chubby. :dunno:

Does Philadelphia have a team in the Lingerie league? If they're looking for bigger gals I know of one. 

19 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Does Philadelphia have a team in the Lingerie league? If they're looking for bigger gals I know of one. 

That is no way to talk about your wife.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

That is no way to talk about your wife.

No, she's just fine. And I don't live in Filthadelpia. Reading, give it a shot. 

I would say that that is a bummer since I was interested in the AZ franchise the first week or two.  But then I realized that I hadn't seen a game since.  Have they been televised recently?  :dunno:

7 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

Didn't they learn anything from the declining NFL viewership.  :lol:

They probably had this idea to grab onto the football money train when NFL ratings were soaring. As suddenly as ratings were looking like an unending upward trend, ratings dipped. At that point the wheels were probably already in motion for this league. 

I actually thought the AAF might could work, because they weren’t trying to be an alternative to the NFL rather a supplement to them.....a minor league of you will.  

Heard the players had to book and pay their own way home after the league folded

The NFL already has a minor league. It's call the NCAA and they don't pay a dime for it. Why the hell would they spend millions on another minor league.

1974 - Orlando Blazers ... 1 season

1983 - Orlando Renegades ... 3 seasons

1991 - Orlando Thunder ... 1 season

2001 - Orlando Rage ... 1 season

2009 - Orlando Tuskers ... 1 season

2019 - Orlando Apollos ... 1/2 season

Never saw it coming.

30 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

2019 - Orlando Apollos ... 1/2 season

Never saw it coming.

I probably should have waited on that tattoo :mad:

22 hours ago, Old School said:

Heard the players had to book and pay their own way home after the league folded

Just read this. Plus on the hook for medical expenses as well and kicked out of the temporary housing. Yes they all got paid pretty well for 8 weeks but you know they spent that on gold chains and cars day 1.

On 4/3/2019 at 4:00 PM, Cdub100 said:

The NFL already has a minor league. It's call the NCAA and they don't pay a dime for it. Why the hell would they spend millions on another minor league.

A new source of revenue and an alternative for those who choose to get paid to play football rather than play for free in College! This league could become more popular than the NCAA in a few short years.