Jump to content
jg8393

Mahomes in the 3rd round?

Recommended Posts

Yeah maybe you are right- I have been doing mocks, and he is gone every time right before my 4th pick. Just my gut feeling from reading the league is everyone wants to wait in Qb’s, but it could be a moot point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when Warner was considered a top 3 overall pick with Faulk and Edge.

If you want Mahomes on your team and you feel like the 3rd round is the best time to take him. Do it.  Its your team. Do what you want with it and don't worry about what others say.

I over payed for Watson in my keep league, but I wanted him and I got him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you wait to draft Mahomes in round three, you won't be drafting Mahomes. What do you think this is? Fantasy football?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it’s done! Draft is over and I DID in fact draft Mahomes in the 3rd.overall pretty happy with the draft in my 12 man-snake draft. Here is how my team ended up, if any of you are considering the same strategy. Thanks to all for the great responses

1.2  Kamara

2.11 AB

3.2 Mahomes

4,11 Sony

5.2 Duke

6.11 DJ Moore

7.2 Ekeler

8.11 V McDonald

9.2 Valdes-Scantling

10.11 Corey Davis

11.2 Brees

12.11 Vikings D

13.2 J Tucker

14.11 Dion Lewis

15.2 Davante Parker

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice draft in a 12 team league.

Kinda shocked that you'd be able to get Drew Brees at 11.2 in a 12 team league with 6 point TD passes!

I think that WR is your weakest position but if you work the waiver wire you should be fine.

Curious: Where was Saints WR Tre'quan Smith drafted, if at all?  He's my super sleeper pick at WR, BTW.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a homer, we all know that.  But I do think there's a chance you're getting the Kurt Warner ala '99 or '01, where he just dominated and placed that much of a gap over all the other QBs he was competing with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:25 PM, kujerry said:

Ok, Well since were talking Mahomes, What about in a start up Dynasty League.  Heard in Dynasty young QB are the because they last so much longer.  Now is it to high to draft him at number 3 overall, all TD's are 6pts

I'd take him for sure in a start up dynasty, even that high.  I saw Andrew Luck go #1 overall in a start up league and people laughed and made fun of the owner on the message boards.  It worked out for him as he won two league titles with Luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Mahomes will have 45-55 td’s barring injury.

He plays 16, he will hit 50 total td’s.  Young, hungry, no defense and offense is the fastest in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jg8393 said:

Well it’s done! Draft is over and I DID in fact draft Mahomes in the 3rd.overall pretty happy with the draft in my 12 man-snake draft. Here is how my team ended up, if any of you are considering the same strategy. Thanks to all for the great responses

1.2  Kamara

2.11 AB

3.2 Mahomes

4,11 Sony

5.2 Duke

6.11 DJ Moore

7.2 Ekeler

8.11 V McDonald

9.2 Valdes-Scantling

10.11 Corey Davis

11.2 Brees

12.11 Vikings D

13.2 J Tucker

14.11 Dion Lewis

15.2 Davante Parker

 

 

 

Drafted at the 1 spot...similar outcome.

  1. Barkley
  2. Ertz
  3. Mahomes
  4. Jeffrey
  5. AJ Green
  6. Guice
  7. DD Westbrook
  8. Goff
  9. Big Ben
  10. G Bernard

J Samuels, T Polard, Pats D, Zuerlein, G Tate & All Day.

Would be fun to watch in comparison this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jg8393 said:

Well it’s done! Draft is over and I DID in fact draft Mahomes in the 3rd.overall pretty happy with the draft in my 12 man-snake draft. Here is how my team ended up, if any of you are considering the same strategy. Thanks to all for the great responses

1.2  Kamara

2.11 AB

3.2 Mahomes

4,11 Sony

5.2 Duke

6.11 DJ Moore

7.2 Ekeler

8.11 V McDonald

9.2 Valdes-Scantling

10.11 Corey Davis

11.2 Brees

12.11 Vikings D

13.2 J Tucker

14.11 Dion Lewis

15.2 Davante Parker

 

 

 

Congrats on getting Mahomie in the 3rd....you got lucky. Your leaguemates are foolish to have let him fall that far.

I, too, think that you will struggle mightily with your WR's. We just don't know how the AB experiment is gonna work out in Oakland, so I would have grabbed Carson or D. Williams there instead (unless Kelce was still around, which he probably wasn't), and then came back with some Lockett/M. Williams/C. Samuel/E Sanders types later on....then Mecole Hardman super late, to pair with Mahomie. That will be an unstoppable combo if/when Hill gets injured or suspended. You did snag Devante Parker late, so you do have a potential value there.

Duke Johnson will be productive if they let him have the reins this year, and the Sony/Kamara/Duke combo is a potentially good one. Like I said earlier, I think you probably needed one more high upside RB like a Carson, D Will, Henry, or Montgomery. I also think potential disaster is lurking if Kamara goes down. Someone probably sniped him, but Latavius Murray is a MUST handcuff for Kamara owners imo.

Gonna be a challenge, but you have Mahomie and Kamara leading the way, which will carry you through some weeks. Best of luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want him. Maybe take him in the second. I really think he is really going to go focking nuts . All they did is add more young talent..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 10:47 AM, Frozenbeernuts said:

No way Mahomes makes it that far in 6 pt pass league. I would be all over that

:thumbsup: Truth.

in a 6 point TD league, I dont know that he gets out of round 2.   I guess it depends whether you draft early or late in round 2/3

If you draft late in round 3 you wont get him there.   at least... not in the 6 point TD league.  Mid to Late round 2 is where I expect he will go in most redraft leagues.

There will always be leagues where he goes earlier or later than what you predict.

If you REALLY want this guy and dont want him to slip away, plan to take him in round 2 of your draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

:thumbsup: Truth.

in a 6 point TD league, I dont know that he gets out of round 2.   I guess it depends whether you draft early or late in round 2/3

If you draft late in round 3 you wont get him there.   at least... not in the 6 point TD league.  Mid to Late round 2 is where I expect he will go in most redraft leagues.

There will always be leagues where he goes earlier or later than what you predict.

If you REALLY want this guy and dont want him to slip away, plan to take him in round 2 of your draft.

I have first pick so no Mahomes for me. Though my first pick usually busts or greatly under performs, so maybe Mahomes wouldn't be a bad pick... But I also can't count on Barkley falling to me in the second or Hill in the third or Mahomes in the 9th to save my ass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Marino is God said:

Nice draft in a 12 team league.

Kinda shocked that you'd be able to get Drew Brees at 11.2 in a 12 team league with 6 point TD passes!

I think that WR is your weakest position but if you work the waiver wire you should be fine.

Curious: Where was Saints WR Tre'quan Smith drafted, if at all?  He's my super sleeper pick at WR, BTW.

 

Don’t think Trequan was drafted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, justforbeer said:

Drafted at the 1 spot...similar outcome.

  1. Barkley
  2. Ertz
  3. Mahomes
  4. Jeffrey
  5. AJ Green
  6. Guice
  7. DD Westbrook
  8. Goff
  9. Big Ben
  10. G Bernard

J Samuels, T Polard, Pats D, Zuerlein, G Tate & All Day.

Would be fun to watch in comparison this year.

 

Yeah very interesting. I will keep an eye on the similarities. Good luck brother!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, stonewall said:

Congrats on getting Mahomie in the 3rd....you got lucky. Your leaguemates are foolish to have let him fall that far.

I, too, think that you will struggle mightily with your WR's. We just don't know how the AB experiment is gonna work out in Oakland, so I would have grabbed Carson or D. Williams there instead (unless Kelce was still around, which he probably wasn't), and then came back with some Lockett/M. Williams/C. Samuel/E Sanders types later on....then Mecole Hardman super late, to pair with Mahomie. That will be an unstoppable combo if/when Hill gets injured or suspended. You did snag Devante Parker late, so you do have a potential value there.

Duke Johnson will be productive if they let him have the reins this year, and the Sony/Kamara/Duke combo is a potentially good one. Like I said earlier, I think you probably needed one more high upside RB like a Carson, D Will, Henry, or Montgomery. I also think potential disaster is lurking if Kamara goes down. Someone probably sniped him, but Latavius Murray is a MUST handcuff for Kamara owners imo.

Gonna be a challenge, but you have Mahomie and Kamara leading the way, which will carry you through some weeks. Best of luck.

For sure Wr’s are my weak point, but had to suffer somewhere by picking a QB that early, and I figured receivers are the easiest to find throughout the season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jg8393 said:

For sure Wr’s are my weak point, but had to suffer somewhere by picking a QB that early, and I figured receivers are the easiest to find throughout the season 

Brother, you got Mahomie in the freakin' 3rd....all is well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play in a 12 team super flex league with bonus points for long plays.  mahomes went 8th. Not in the 8th. 8th overall. 

If ya want it ya gotta take it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got Rodgers rnd 5 and I think that’s a better overall deal than Mahomes in rnd 3. There’s no one else I’d pay early for, so after Rodgers I’d be looking at guys like Wentz and Cam rnd 10+. Watson’s injury risk behind that line is too high for me to pay around Rodgers price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 12:11 PM, tanatastic said:

For kicks I went back and checked the TD drop off from the top passing TD seasons. Excluding Brady when he got hurt.

Manning 55 2013, 2014 39, drop of 16

Manning 2004 49, 2005 28, drop of 21

Marino 1984 48, 1985 30, drop of 18

Brees 2011 46, 2012 43, drop of 3 One of only two players to have consecutive 40+

 

I think it’s very realistic to say Mahomes will drop at least 15tds to 35. 

 

He will be well under 35 even if you give him his per game average for the two games he missed. Rodgers was also a bust even at his 5th round discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you find any of my post about his td total I would like to know what I said.  

I think I predicted 30-33.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got Mahomes very late in the 2nd round and Lamar Jackson near the end of the draft.  Guess who wound up being my starter after week 5?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will stand up and admit that i was wrong about his production this year. Of course, he did miss time with injury and was playing several games with a gimpy ankle prior to that.....but that doesn't explain the last few weeks.

In fact, I have no explanation. It is not that defenses have "figured him out" either. I have watched several games, including yesterday, and he is simply missing simple throws that he made easily last season. He is also missing reads. Missed a wide open Hill on a crossing pattern in the end zone yesterday. Also dinking and dunking much more. I just have no explanation.

That said, I have managed a playoff berth in 3 of 5 leagues with him, and even with options he will be an auto-start for me in the playoffs.....and I will be looking to draft him again next year at what should be a tremendous discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stonewall said:

I will stand up and admit that i was wrong about his production this year. Of course, he did miss time with injury and was playing several games with a gimpy ankle prior to that.....but that doesn't explain the last few weeks.

In fact, I have no explanation. It is not that defenses have "figured him out" either. I have watched several games, including yesterday, and he is simply missing simple throws that he made easily last season. He is also missing reads. Missed a wide open Hill on a crossing pattern in the end zone yesterday. Also dinking and dunking much more. I just have no explanation.

That said, I have managed a playoff berth in 3 of 5 leagues with him, and even with options he will be an auto-start for me in the playoffs.....and I will be looking to draft him again next year at what should be a tremendous discount.

I said last year that he wouldn’t be as good as he was last year. Same is going to happen with Lamar. The trend happens almost every year. New QB takes over, kicks ass for the year, people take him high the following year, his production goes down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

I said last year that he wouldn’t be as good as he was last year. Same is going to happen with Lamar. The trend happens almost every year. New QB takes over, kicks ass for the year, people take him high the following year, his production goes down. 

I think it’s been about ten season now the last time a Qb was the top ff Qb two seasons in a roll, and I think it was Bress who did it last.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, weepaws said:

I think it’s been about ten season now the last time a Qb was the top ff Qb two seasons in a roll, and I think it was Bress who did it last.  

 

I usually stay away from the adp they are going at and draft someone else 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last two seasons I’ve stream qbs, tes, and Kickers and def, until I land a good one. 

This season I landed Ryan when he was on his bye and also injured, and landed Cook from the Saints, and the Steelers def I picked up about five weeks ago.  

I don’t like drafting qbs early. 

As for adp, I use my own, I look at adp to use for a conversation on this site.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Last two seasons I’ve stream qbs, tes, and Kickers and def, until I land a good one. 

This season I landed Ryan when he was on his bye and also injured, and landed Cook from the Saints, and the Steelers def I picked up about five weeks ago.  

I don’t like drafting qbs early. 

As for adp, I use my own, I look at adp to use for a conversation on this site.  

 

I usually don’t draft qbs until 7th at least. My partner wanted Watson in round 5 so we took him. 5th round is earliest I’ll go on a qb 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fifth round for the second best Qb based on ff points is a deal.  

How is that team doing, playoffs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Fifth round for the second best Qb based on ff points is a deal.  

How is that team doing, playoffs? 

Which one? Mine? Or the guy who drafted mahomes? My team is in the championship this weekend. Team that drafted mahomes didn’t make playoffs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on making it to the championship.  

Yeah the team that took Mahomes in my league didn’t make the playoffs, nor had a winning record. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Congrats on making it to the championship.  

Yeah the team that took Mahomes in my league didn’t make the playoffs, nor had a winning record. 

Cool man. I’m sure you’re riding Tannehill or Darnold to a title. 

God Bless. Hey thanks.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

Cool man. I’m sure you’re riding Tannehill or Darnold to a title. 

God Bless. Hey thanks.

I am riding Tannahill as a second qb to the championship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Pinesprings said:

guy in our league took mahomes at 2:4 and finished as #2 seed. Played Russel Wilson about 60 percent of the season. bounced week 1 of playoffs. no winnings

Proof that luck plays such a big role in fantasy football.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

Proof that luck plays such a big role in fantasy football.  

100% 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2019 at 8:50 AM, Jarvis Basnight said:

Proof that luck plays such a big role in fantasy football.  

Only when you lose of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×