Sign in to follow this  
‘Game of Thrones’ prequel ‘House of the Dragon’ gets straight to series order from HBO...

Anyone know why Cole beat that fruitcake to death at the end of the earlier episode? 

18 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Anyone know why Cole beat that fruitcake to death at the end of the earlier episode? 

I'm guessing he didn't like said fruitcake essentially blackmailing him by saying "I know you're banging the princess and I'm her fiancee's gay lover so keep your mouth shut".   Ser Cristen don't play that sh1t.

Just now, DonS said:

I'm guessing he didn't like said fruitcake essentially blackmailing him by saying "I know you're banging the princess and I'm her fiancee's gay lover so keep your mouth shut".   Ser Cristen don't play that sh1t.

That’s it? Cole has a temper. 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

That’s it? Cole has a temper. 

I think so.  Or maybe he doesn't like phags. :dunno:

43 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Have to draw your own conclusions.

My interpretation is that Cole took a vow to chastity that he took seriously and didn’t appreciate getting the MeToo-ed boy toy treatment by Princess Weinstein. He felt his honor was besmirched and would have happily accepted a death sentence from the queen, to whom he readily confessed. So when Sir StabMyButt came along to blackmail / ally / commiserate with him to keep his mouth shut and keep doing what they’re doing, he snapped.

In other words, no there was no real explanation as it seemed Daemon was up to something then it ended with that. 

Plot wise it was to get Sir Cristian on the side of the queen so the other guy, son of the hand, could be the father of all the princess's kids in the fast forward. 

16 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Have to draw your own conclusions.

My interpretation is that Cole took a vow to chastity that he took seriously and didn’t appreciate getting the MeToo-ed boy toy treatment by Princess Weinstein. He felt his honor was besmirched and would have happily accepted a death sentence from the queen, to whom he readily confessed. So when Sir StabMyButt came along to blackmail / ally / commiserate with him to keep his mouth shut and keep doing what they’re doing, he snapped.

Ok but that’s not the story they could put out there. I wonder how they explained it. I guess we won’t know 

33 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ok but that’s not the story they could put out there. I wonder how they explained it. I guess we won’t know 

It’s not? Well that’s my interpretation but admittedly it’s all a Rhorshacts test and is left vague deliberately.

In the books, different stories, one is basically, a rumor about how the princess tried to seduce Cole but he refused because he was too honorable. The other is a rumor that he wanted to run off to Essos with the princess but she spurned him.

I liked how the show tied in both rumors. 

On 9/19/2022 at 10:40 AM, Bier Meister said:

yeah... having a hard time getting into this one.

It's gotten better for me... started watching the post episode narrative (do not remember them for earlier episodes).

Watched all episodes so far. 

1. I don’t care about a single character in this show

2. not saying it’s a bad show but it falls flat on comparison. Which was to be expected but I thought it would be more compelling. 

3. lots of shout outs to family names to make people go “ohh yeah the Lannisters! Martells! But they have no true roles. 

4. younger girl playing the princess was a better actress than whoever plays her after the time jump. 

5. personally would have been more interested in a sequel spinoff following a few characters from the original show although I’m not sure who they could have afforded at that point. 

6. also for this being set so far before game of thrones, it doesn’t actually feel like an earlier time. 

On 10/10/2022 at 11:18 AM, WhiteWonder said:

2. not saying it’s a bad show but it falls flat on comparison. Which was to be expected but I thought it would be more compelling. 

3. lots of shout outs to family names to make people go “ohh yeah the Lannisters! Martells! But they have no true roles. 

4. younger girl playing the princess was a better actress than whoever plays her after the time jump. 

5. personally would have been more interested in a sequel spinoff following a few characters from the original show although I’m not sure who they could have afforded at that point. 

6. also for this being set so far before game of thrones, it doesn’t actually feel like an earlier time. 

The last 3 episodes have been set 6 years or so apart from each other, with the roles and characters having changed in that time.  Not sure how they expect us to latch onto any of these characters.  No dragons at all last episode.  Starting to fall flat, just get to the dragon battles already because you foked up all these characters no one cares about.  

• Like 1

feel flat 15 mins in to episode 1. I forced myself to watch and hated myself for it. 

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

feel flat 15 mins in to episode 1. I forced myself to watch and hated myself for it. 

What else is there, that hobbit show might even be worse?  Most expensive series ever and the hobbits, trolls and that half elf guy look like cartoon characters.  

25 minutes ago, Horseman said:

What else is there, that hobbit show might even be worse?  Most expensive series ever and the hobbits, trolls and that half elf guy look like cartoon characters.  

LOTR was dreadful.

Me and the lady have been watching Justified. We just started season 6

2 hours ago, Horseman said:

The last 3 episodes have been set 6 years or so apart from each other, with the roles and characters having changed in that time.  Not sure how they expect us to latch onto any of these characters.  No dragons at all last episode.  Starting to fall flat, just get to the dragon battles already because you foked up all these characters no one cares about.  

even before the time jump, I really didn't care about any of the characters or their stories. I suppose the most interesting character by default is the brother Dameon? I am always bad with names in these shows, it takes me a while and I will usually make up nicknames for people. Did the same with GOT but at least there I eventually remembered the names and I instantly had favorite characters after episode 1. Jon, for example was my favorite character from the jump without having any idea about his actual role in everything and not even knowing the show was based off of books at that time, when it aired. 

it was never going to come close to the original, but as someone who had no idea there were books and would normally not have been into a deep fantasy show like GOT, to get hooked from episode 1 is saying something. I feel like a majority of fans were not really into it until a little bit before the red wedding stuff.  

2 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

even before the time jump, I really didn't care about any of the characters or their stories. I suppose the most interesting character by default is the brother Dameon? I am always bad with names in these shows, it takes me a while and I will usually make up nicknames for people. Did the same with GOT but at least there I eventually remembered the names and I instantly had favorite characters after episode 1. Jon, for example was my favorite character from the jump without having any idea about his actual role in everything and not even knowing the show was based off of books at that time, when it aired. 

it was never going to come close to the original, but as someone who had no idea there were books and would normally not have been into a deep fantasy show like GOT, to get hooked from episode 1 is saying something. I feel like a majority of fans were not really into it until a little bit before the red wedding stuff.  

I  thought Rhaenyra would be a good protagonist and Daemon a good antagonist to her.  But jump forward and now they are married with children so WTF?

18 minutes ago, Horseman said:

I  thought Rhaenyra would be a good protagonist and Daemon a good antagonist to her.  But jump forward and now they are married with children so WTF?

I expected more conflict between the noble/level headed but maybe not cutthroat enough King and the fierce/unpredictable daemon. 
you can tell the daughter gravitates to daemon early on. It never becomes the issue it should have for the king. You think it could be trending that way with her father having married her friend and now she’s married to his brother / her uncle. 

I like all the twists and turns but I do think it moves too quickly and we could have used an extra episode here and there to get to know people better. The time jumps are pretty much over now, this cast of characters from the last episode are who we'll be rolling with going forward.

My biggest gripe with the latest time jump was they replaced that completely punchable eldest son (Aegon?) with an older version that looks nothing like him.

I don’t like the new Rhyneara. It seems some characters are being changed every single week, while other characters remain weirdly the same. If it weren’t for the after show explanation I would have had no idea the King thought he was talking to his daughter instead of his wife. 

What is subtly cool is how it demonstrates how the things that seem so important really dont matter all that much and how the pursuit of power is just waste.

I also think it is cool that if you go back to like I think it was season 2 or 3 in GOT there was an episode where that little sh!t joffrey was walking his new wife through the castle and spoke directly about the people in THIS series, noting the bones of Rhyneara etc....cool tie in

On 10/10/2022 at 2:18 PM, WhiteWonder said:

Solid synopsis Peenie.   I feel exactly the same as you on these points.   

I don't know if it's me or the show - but I am struggling to keep track of who is who on HOTD much more so than I did with GOT.   

2 hours ago, Masshole said:

Solid synopsis Peenie.   I feel exactly the same as you on these points.   

I don't know if it's me or the show - but I am struggling to keep track of who is who on HOTD much more so than I did with GOT.   

Thanks, oldmaid 

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

Thanks, oldmaid 

Now I feel violated. 

1 hour ago, OldMaid said:

Now I feel violated. 

we can arrange that  ;)

he called me Peenie so I just threw out the first female poster that came to mind. You should be honored :D

Finale was decent.  Now that all the time jumps, kid bloodlines, and whatnot is finished they were able to get down to the core split for the Iron Throne.   It even finally had some focking dragon action. :thumbsup:

Glad to see the whiny Targaryean bastard equivalent of Carl from TWD get chomped by that big focking dragon!

Cautiously optimistic for season two. 

• Haha 1

Occum's razor is failing me.

I'm trying to figure out if peenie is throwing us off by going incognito posting under the alias "White Wonder." Or is it that White Wonder wants to add diversity to this place by pretending to be a black female... hmm... 

On 9/1/2022 at 3:21 PM, supermike80 said:

Second episode was OK.  I mean it's watchable  I agree some of the pan out shots of the cities were just silly looking.   and anytime someone rides a dragon, that looks dumb too.  But whatever.  

Just finished better Call Saul so need something new

Just started Better Call Saul. Super slow start but I like the feel of where it could go.

HOTD was a step above awful

12 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

HOTD was a step above awful

I quit in the middle of the 2nd episode. I quit the new LOTR on amazon like 15 minutes in. 

there doesnt seem to be any tv show that captures the imagination anymore.  there used to always be that one show with a huge thread and everyone talking about it.  no more.  i have no interest in HOTD.

2 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

there doesnt seem to be any tv show that captures the imagination anymore.  there used to always be that one show with a huge thread and everyone talking about it.  no more.  i have no interest in HOTD.

I agree.  We have an unlimited amount of average content but nothing epic.

23 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Agreed. We just started watching The Shield. I watched it on TV back in the day, she never saw it. We watched Justified a couple months ago. Same thing, I had seen it she never did. 

Game of Thrones was the greatest show I have ever seen, until the last 2 seasons. 

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Agreed. We just started watching The Shield. I watched it on TV back in the day, she never saw it. We watched Justified a couple months ago. Same thing, I had seen it she never did. 

Game of Thrones was the greatest show I have ever seen, until the last 2 seasons. 

The last season was actually better on re-watch. Nothing like the first 6, but not as bad as I thought it was. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The last season was actually better on re-watch. Nothing like the first 6, but not as bad as I thought it was. 

I guess I am sour on the final episode or 2, not so much the whole season. I recant 

Just now, edjr said:

I guess I am sour on the final episode or 2, not so much the whole season. I recant 

I think killing Danny after she went mad with power made a lot of women angry. They watched the show because of all the strong females in it. 

9 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I think killing Danny after she went mad with power made a lot of women angry. They watched the show because of all the strong females in it. 

They went all out in HOTD. 

17 minutes ago, edjr said:

They went all out in HOTD. 

Thats. why it sucks. And Daemon ain’t cutting it. 

34 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I held off on the last 2 seasons for a while and avoided spoilers somehow. I knew people were mad but didn't know why, I assumed all the Starks had been killed and Daenerys took over. I was happy she died and Bronn become a lord, the ending is basically what I wanted it to be from the beginning.

2 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I held off on the last 2 seasons for a while and avoided spoilers somehow. I knew people were mad but didn't know why, I assumed all the Starks had been killed and Daenerys took over. 

The huge popularity of GOT was driven by women. They traditionally haven’t watched these types of shows in great numbers.