Sign in to follow this  
‘Game of Thrones’ prequel ‘House of the Dragon’ gets straight to series order from HBO...

On 8/29/2022 at 10:31 AM, TheNewGirl said:

Speak for yourself, Peenster. 

Name 6 movies you have enjoyed watching within the last 2 years mainly because there were hot guys in it. Because these guys are saying they don’t even want to watch since there aren’t many hot women. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2022 at 5:51 AM, Engorgeous George said:

Do these two "second sons" create the Second Sons we see in Game of Thrones?  Are the Gold Cloaks the genesis of the golden company?

Dragon eggs are apparently indistructable.  Shake them toss them, let them cool and reheat them.  If you did that with any other egg it would not develop.

Conspicuous by its absence thus far, House Lannister.

Not sure about the first, but the Gold Cloaks exist in GoT. They are members of the City Watch.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:22 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

This is getting a very Better Call Saul feel to it. I’ll watch it, but it won’t be by appointment. I’ll probably abandon it once football starts and catch up at some point. 

Something we agree upon outside of politics.    I thought first episode was OK but second was meh.    I was 40 min deep into the 2nd episode and I was thinking "is anything going to actually happen in this episode or is it just going to be never ending scenes of people talking?". . .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Not sure about the first, but the Gold Cloaks exist in GoT. They are members of the City Watch.

The Golden company were mercenaries in GOT. Perhaps the city watch that went with Daemon are the precursors to the golden company

24 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Indeed.  I just thought that these renegade gold cloaks under the renegade brother might be the genesis of something else, just as I found the forced reference that the valarian and the renegade brother were both "second sons" in light of an organization of that name being eventually prominent.

For all I knpw this is nothing, or it may all be well known to folks who have read the books.  I myself have not read the books so just speculating away on my part.

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The Golden company were mercenaries in GOT. Perhaps the city watch that went with Daemon are the precursors to the golden company

that was exactly what I was speculating upon.

2 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

that was exactly what I was speculating upon.

👍

Popped in to do a posty.  The fact I have never seen an episode of Game of Thrones.  Then realized he is the OP.  Ironic.  

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No sh!t, Sherlock. But the Gold Cloaks are a division of the City Watch in GoT and are the ones that wear the golden armor and, wait for it…. gold cloaks! 

The Golden Company is a completely different entity entirely.

4 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

No sh!t, Sherlock. But the Gold Cloaks are a division of the City Watch in GoT and are the ones that wear the golden armor and, wait for it…. gold cloaks! 

Mark this on your calendar - I am agreeing with and saying OM is correct.   

Gold Cloaks were around during GoT.    I believe that the scumbag Meryn Trant (the knight who liked really young girls and had his eyes stabbed out by Arya Stark) was a Gold Cloak.   I am not that up on the minutia of GoT stuff - but I think by the time of the GoT the Gold Cloaks were the elite of the City Watch who protected the royals, but they were City Watch. 

Also correct - the Golden Company is a completely different group/people/place than the Gold Cloaks/City Watch.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Masshole said:

Gold Cloaks were around during GoT.    I believe that the scumbag Meryn Trant (the knight who liked really young girls and had his eyes stabbed out by Arya Stark) was a Gold Cloak.   I am not that up on the minutia of GoT stuff - but I think by the time of the GoT the Gold Cloaks were the elite of the City Watch who protected the royals, but they were City Watch. 

Also correct - the Golden Company is a completely different group/people/place than the Gold Cloaks/City Watch.    

Ok, so I had to go look this up. The Gold Cloaks are members of the City Watch, and the elite version is the King’s Guard-or the White Cloaks.

22 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

It’s gonna be like that Bertha? I guess you don’t know what genesis or precursor means? I’ll splain it nice and slow for ya. Daemons gold cloaks abandoned the city watch. It’s not like they can go back. Maybe they became mercenaries playing off the fact they were members of the gold cloaks? 

• Confused 1

When do the wh0res show up?

20 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It’s gonna be like that Bertha? I guess you don’t know what genesis or precursor means? I’ll splain it nice and slow for ya. Daemons gold cloaks abandoned the city watch. It’s not like they can go back. Maybe they became mercenaries playing off the fact they were members of the gold cloaks? 

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Golden_Company

It was founded by a bastard of Aegon Targaryen, so highly unlikely that any of the Gold Cloaks were under his employ. Apparently, he legitimated all his bastards upon his death, that kicked off several rebellions for throne. So, no… Daemon’s Gold Cloaks have nothing to do with it. 

On 8/29/2022 at 8:51 PM, Engorgeous George said:

Do these two "second sons" create the Second Sons we see in Game of Thrones?  Are the Gold Cloaks the genesis of the golden company?

Dragon eggs are apparently indistructable.  Shake them toss them, let them cool and reheat them.  If you did that with any other egg it would not develop.

Conspicuous by its absence thus far, House Lannister.

No, the Second Sons emerge from the next Targaryen Civil War. House Lannister is longstanding a power in the west but plays almost no role in the political intrigue in this show, just as the Hightowers played almost no role in GoT but are front-and-center here.

On 8/30/2022 at 2:24 AM, edjr said:

The most ridiculous thing of all is the black dudes blonde hair.. Stop it

If it makes you feel better, that family isn't black. This is 2022 and they want to force-install a diverse cast, so feel free to imagine the guy being a white Valyrian. There will be another upcoming reason that casting a black actor for that role helps though, but I won't spoil it.

21 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No. They remain the city watch but they were founded by Daemon and are playing the role of his private army at this point.

21 hours ago, Masshole said:

Meryn Trant wasn't a Gold Cloak, there are thousands of Gold Cloaks. Trant was one of the seven members of the elite Kingsguard, although he got the job not for being an elite swordsman but rather for being a Baelish plant. While the Mad King did indeed have an elite Kingsguard, Robert's was full of mediocre political agents. Robert's two best, Baristan Selmy and (two-handed at the time) Jamie Lannister, were both holdovers from the Mad King's regime.

5 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

No, the Second Sons emerge from the next Targaryen Civil War. House Lannister is longstanding a power in the west but plays almost no role in the political intrigue in this show, just as the Hightowers played almost no role in GoT but are front-and-center here.

If it makes you feel better, that family isn't black. This is 2022 and they want to force-install a diverse cast, so feel free to imagine the guy being a white Valyrian. There will be another upcoming reason that casting a black actor for that role helps though, but I won't spoil it.

No. They remain the city watch but they were founded by Daemon and are playing the role of his private army at this point.

Meryn Trant wasn't a Gold Cloak, there are thousands of Gold Cloaks. Trant was one of the seven members of the elite Kingsguard, although he got the job not for being an elite swordsman but rather for being a Baelish plant. While the Mad King did indeed have an elite Kingsguard, Robert's was full of mediocre political agents. Robert's two best, Baristan Selmy and (two-handed at the time) Jamie Lannister, were both holdovers from the Mad King's regime.

I'm going to love the reactions when somebody remakes Roots with race swapped characters.   

"We need more diversity to reflect the current time!!!"  :lol:

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 2:24 PM, edjr said:

The most ridiculous thing of all is the black dudes blonde hair.. Stop it

Yeah, that’s forced but the actor is good. 

10 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah, that’s forced but the actor is good. 

blactor

19 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I appreciate the insight.  Thank you.

4 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

they have to put lena headey in this, so when is the time travel?

I thought for sure the King was going to marry his daughter. Very Lannisteresque 

Second episode was OK.  I mean it's watchable  I agree some of the pan out shots of the cities were just silly looking.   and anytime someone rides a dragon, that looks dumb too.  But whatever.  

Just finished better Call Saul so need something new

When do the cries of RACISM begin since the king turned down the little black girl's marriage offer?   

Both Chuck E. Cheese and a Sesame Street character have recently gotten in hot water for similar rebuffs. :nono:

1 hour ago, Engorgeous George said:

Show need morescreen time devoted to nipples..

Thankfully my wife and I have been watching True Blood, so I'm getting my onscreen nipple fix via that show. :banana:

1 minute ago, DonS said:

When do the cries of RACISM begin since the king turned down the little black girl's marriage offer?   

Both Chuck E. Cheese and a Sesame Street character have recently gotten in hot water for similar rebuffs. :nono:

Gutter was pissed about that. He’s like “she’s 12 man, what are you thinking”. 

• Haha 2

There's a theory I've read (and I don't know) that Daemon Targaryen is the Night King. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

There's a theory I've read (and I don't know) that Daemon Targaryen is the Night King. 

🧐 That would be fun. Although that would go against established GoT lore, but it hasn’t been established in the book series yet (I don’t think) so I guess it would be possible. I like it, though.

8 hours ago, OldMaid said:

🧐 That would be fun. Although that would go against established GoT lore, but it hasn’t been established in the book series yet (I don’t think) so I guess it would be possible. I like it, though.

Fat old lady gross. 

9 hours ago, TheNewGirl said:

It's ridiculous. He's affiliated with Fire not Ice and he died 150 years before the Night King, far away from the North. Although his death was very public, the one thing they can hang their hats on is that his body was never recovered.

8 hours ago, Voltaire said:

It's ridiculous. He's affiliated with Fire not Ice and he died 150 years before the Night King, far away from the North. Although his death was very public, the one thing they can hang their hats on is that his body was never recovered.

I still think it's possible, the Night King had Viserion after he was killed and from what I remember, only Targaryens can ride/tame/whatever dragons. If he had anything to do with hiding the three eggs that Daenerys later on receives, then it's possible. 

We're also talking about complete fantasy/fiction where a Three Eyed Raven eventually takes over a young boy after he's pushed out of a window. It's totally possible that Daemon becomes the Night King in some way, IMO. 

Also, they can kinda do what they want. 

The Night King is an original creation of the television adaptation, thus far having no counterpart in the novels upon which the show is based.

In Season 6: 

The Night King appears in a vision being observed by Bran and the Three-eyed Raven, where they witness him as a human being forcibly transformed into the first White Walker by the Children of the Forest by impaling him with a dragonglass dagger. Bran subsequently confronts Leaf about creating the White Walkers. She explains that they were at war with the First Men and had no choice.

9 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

I still think it's possible, the Night King had Viserion after he was killed and from what I remember, only Targaryens can ride/tame/whatever dragons. If he had anything to do with hiding the three eggs that Daenerys later on receives, then it's possible. 

We're also talking about complete fantasy/fiction where a Three Eyed Raven eventually takes over a young boy after he's pushed out of a window. It's totally possible that Daemon becomes the Night King in some way, IMO. 

Also, they can kinda do what they want. 

The only problem with that is the creation of the Knight King took place way before Daemon’s timeline, I think. But you’re right, since it only happened in the tv version they could possibly retcon it if they want. 

55 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

The only problem with that is the creation of the Knight King took place way before Daemon’s timeline, I think. But you’re right, since it only happened in the tv version they could possibly retcon it if they want. 

That's right! They did show the creation of the Night King in HBO's GoT version and that unnamed human was neither Daemon nor any Targaryen. It also far, far, far preceded the Targaryens coming to Westeros. 

It’s getting worse. I barely remembered to watch it today. 

At the beginning, where the Blackwood boy courts Rhaenyra and slays the taunting bully from Bracken, those rival houses go on to be the major players in next Targaryen Civil War. Bloodraven or the Three-eyed Crow from the first TV series is a Targaryen/Blackwood so, almost certainly, that boy is Bloodraven's maternal grandfather or great grandfather. Meanwhile, although this particular bully is taken out of the gene pool, the Brackens are still around and the Targaryen/Brackens lose and retreat overseas and it's them who form the Golden Company.

The bit about "the blood of the First Men runs deep in his family" is rather important. The first time Targaryens mix with the First Men family, you get Bloodraven and the next, in TV show canon at any rate, it would be Jon Snow, so it's always a rather formidable mix. That's the prevailing theory on Jon Snow's parentage with book readers too, although I personally am in the minority thinking it's untrue and that Rhaegar and Lynana Stark's baby is more likely a character who doesn't appear in the show, named Aegon. Waiting for the Santa Claus looking guy to clarify the situation is taking forever.

Anyway, I'm liking the Hightowers a lot more in the TV show than I did in the books. Alicent especially, she's everything you want a queen to be IMO, but her father as well. Otto gives good advice overall except (arguably) when he's being personally self-serving. Since House of the Dragon has followed GRRM's story much closer that Game of Thrones did, and GRRM has had more imput thus far, I'm treating it as mostly canon except with minor differences. They aged Rhanyra up and Alicent down to make them the same age. The TV show made them close and best of friends at the start, I don't know if that was the case or not... could be... but there was a significant age difference, Alicent early 20s, Rhaenyra  8 when the show started. GoT was criticized by the usual whiners for having too many white cast members so HoD made the Velaryons black. 

Daemon's wife is getting treated the same way Cheers treated Norm's wife, and Cliff's mom. The Bronze B*tch must be glad he's never home, the guy couldn't be a more terrible husband nor a more mindblowing a$$hole.

On thing GRRM complained about early on about GoT was the way they handled King Robert's hunt. GoT didn't have the money for an elaborate hunting festival so they just had Robert and three others walking through the woods with spears. So, now we have a better understanding of what George thought a king's hunting party should look like. Presumably, King Robert would have been more proactive in the hunting part of the excursion than Viscerys was. they did good with the jousting and dragon CGI as well, this show is clearly not cutting corners for lack of funding as early GoT did..

7 minutes ago, Horseman said:

I think you might be overthinking it a wee bit. 

You wouldn't beleive how deep down the various rabbit holes I've been. I'm out of practice and rusty now, five years ago though, I was deep to my eyeballs in this. Focking GRRM may be doing me a favor by taking forever to write his books.

• Haha 1

Watched 3rd episode last night.. I sadly think I am throwing in the towel. :(

29 minutes ago, edjr said:

Watched 3rd episode last night.. I sadly think I am throwing in the towel. :(

I won’t because I can catch it anytime I want. There is way too much boring dialogue. Where did they get the directors from, Lifetime channel? GOT had great dialogue, it was what made it great. Not zombies and dragons.