Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

Given the circumstances it looks like we are doing a pretty phenomenal job with testing from where we started. That is also getting better everyday. A lot of credit should go to the local and state governments plus healthcare and first responders. I work for a company that employs 150k healthcare folks, I have seen some incredible accomplishments in the last 2 months from implementing curbside testing to temporary hospitals etc. Truly impressive stuff. 

It's taboo to give Trump credit but, he obviously deserves credit as well. I understand some people have an issue with that but, they aren't the type of people who have ever had to do, they play Monday morning QB with 20\20 hindsight and only offer criticism based solely on their political leanings. It's disappointing but, these are the times we live in.

When you start parsing data that only benefits your argument, people tune you out. Rightfully so. We've tested a massive amount of people, way more than any other country. For the most part, we test people with actual symptoms, mass testing people who are showing no signs was never the goal. It's also not realistic, I'm not sure how we've gotten to this point but, it's been a theme while Trump has been in office. People are compelled to invent narratives where none exist to score political points.

13 minutes ago, Reality said:

Given the circumstances it looks like we are doing a pretty phenomenal job with testing from where we started. That is also getting better everyday. A lot of credit should go to the local and state governments plus healthcare and first responders. I work for a company that employs 150k healthcare folks, I have seen some incredible accomplishments in the last 2 months from implementing curbside testing to temporary hospitals etc. Truly impressive stuff. 

It's taboo to give Trump credit but, he obviously deserves credit as well. I understand some people have an issue with that but, they aren't the type of people who have ever had to do, they play Monday morning QB with 20\20 hindsight and only offer criticism based solely on their political leanings. It's disappointing but, these are the times we live in.

When you start parsing data that only benefits your argument, people tune you out. Rightfully so. We've tested a massive amount of people, way more than any other country. For the most part, we test people with actual symptoms, mass testing people who are showing no signs was never the goal. It's also not realistic, I'm not sure how we've gotten to this point but, it's been a theme while Trump has been in office. People are compelled to invent narratives where none exist to score political points.

"From where we started" is the key term.  Imagine if you took the testing progress and moved it all forward 6 weeks.  An entirely different situation.  Economy would be opened by now. God knows how many less deaths. Half?  Such a shame Trump refused to take it seriously until late March. 

6 minutes ago, The Observer said:

"From where we started" is the key term.  Imagine if you took the testing progress and moved it all forward 6 weeks.  An entirely different situation.  Economy would be opened by now. God knows how many less deaths. Half?  Such a shame Trump refused to take it seriously until late March. 

Just stop 

22 minutes ago, Reality said:

Straight form someone in the know. I’ll take that to the bank! 

8 minutes ago, The Observer said:

I know. That the flu and virus type things  obama ignored killed any hope of making progress in this area. Seems Trump is making strides where Hussein failed miserably. Glad you see it too.  :thumbsup:

Fauci said where we are at as far as developing a vaccine is unprecedented.  MAIA. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Fauci said where we are at as far as developing a vaccine is unprecedented.  MAIA. 

Trump's fault. :mad:

3 hours ago, The Observer said:

There's a reason they compare things per capita. It levels the playing field.

Then why dont you ever refer to deaths per capita?  You know, to level the playing field?

20 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Funny how you jump on Trump for this but you never say anything about the Democratic leaders biotch and moaning and name calling when he stopped in bound flights from Europe.  If the Dems would have had their way we would have 10 times the number of deaths here right now.  This is a fun game you like to play. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Fireballer said:

Then why dont you ever refer to deaths per capita?  You know, to level the playing field?

He is never going to do that and he still believes the stats China is telling the DNC and CNN. 

1 minute ago, Bert said:

Funny how you jump on Trump for this but you never say anything about the Democratic leaders biotch and moaning and name calling when he stopped in bound flights from Europe.  If the Dems would have had their way we would have 10 times the number of deaths here right now.  This is a fun game you like to play. 

Newbie is a guy who will blame a republican president for anything and everything that he doesn't like in the country and even things he secretly likes.  But when a democrat is in office, he thinks they are only hindered by some other republicans and that is why things are bad. 

33 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Tough day today kid.  Rest up and give it another go tomorrow. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bert said:

Trump is president. Not a Democrat  He was getting all the Intel. He was told by the CDC how serious this was. Peter Navarro told him how disastrous this could be. All in January.  He ignored all of it and tried covering it all up to the American people. If you want to blame a Democrat, you're going to have to wait till one is president. If Trump doesn't want the responsibility, he can resign. 

19 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Trump is president. Not a Democrat  He was getting all the Intel. He was told by the CDC how serious this was. Peter Navarro told him how disastrous this could be. All in January.  He ignored all of it and tried covering it all up to the American people. If you want to blame a Democrat, you're going to have to wait till one is president. If Trump doesn't want the responsibility, he can resign. 

How did he ignore it if he stopped flights? Do you ever listen to yourself? 

5 hours ago, The Observer said:

No, we're doing terribly. Richest country in the world with some of the best scientific minds on the planet and we aren't even in the top 30 as far as testing. Inexcusable. 

Do you have any clue what it takes to produce them ? Process them ? 

How about anything?

20 minutes ago, The Observer said:

So who are the "orange man bad" equivalent leaders in the countries with higher per capita death rates? Somebody certainly worse than Trump.

3 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

So who are the "orange man bad" equivalent leaders in the countries with higher per capita death rates? Somebody certainly worse than Trump.

This is a great point. Perhaps China would be a better place for newbie.

9 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

How did he ignore it if he stopped flights? Do you ever listen to yourself? 

He took one action in 2 months. And did that in a half-assed manner. Meanwhile, he was holding rallies, golfing, and telling Americans it was under control and will go away in April when it warms up.  

7 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

This is a great point. Perhaps China would be a better place for newbie.

They wouldn't want the shmuck...

14 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Do you have any clue what it takes to produce them ? Process them ? 

How about anything?

How do other countries produce them? Just a guess, but maybe it's because we weren't producing them here, so we had to rely on imports. 

He took one action in 2 months. And did that in a half-assed manner. Meanwhile, he was holding rallies, golfing, and telling Americans it was under control and will go away in April when it warms up.  

What did Dr. Fauci say in late January? Do you know? I guess he shouldn’t have listened to him. 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What did Dr. Fauci say in late January? Do you know? I guess he shouldn’t have listened to him. 

I won't vote for Fauci if he runs for president. You happy? 

4 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I've explained to Newbie the fallacy of judging our performance on per capita testing, but this is one of those situations where he turns into NewbieBot and keeps parroting his "data" it in hopes that the repetition makes it accurate.  We have done almost twice the total testing as the #2 country (Russia).  Of course China provides no test data, because they suck.  

The example, in case you didn't see it:  say we have two countries:  "A" has 10 people and tests 5, that's 50%.  "B" has 1 billion people and tests 400M, that's 40%.  Which is doing a better job testing?

Now, I will concede that since we have a relatively large population, we need to keep the pressure on to continually increase availability.  But we went from nothing to the most testing in the world in a short time.  To imply we have been incompetent in it is just dumb.

Honestly, who cares who's doing a better job testing.  We giving out medals for the best testing country?  Country A is closer to returning to normalcy, and given our current state of affairs that is the only goal worth attaining.  The higher the percentage of a populace being tested, the higher the confidence people have that the virus is being contained....that the folks you see walking around aren't infected.....the more likely people will be to resume their normal behaviors.  When that happens in the US, the economy will skyrocket.  Given that that is pretty unlikely...I don't see how we're going to be able to test most of the people in this country.....I think we're stuck in limbo.  People want to resume their normal lives and kickstart the economy....but I think there's quite a bit of fear still.  When folks are scared, they don't go out to eat or go see a ballgame....in short, they're not going to be spending money....which is crippling the economy.

I'm all for opening things up asap.  We absolutely should.  But it would be easier if more people were being tested.  The fact that they aren't is a valid question.  :dunno: 

4 minutes ago, The Observer said:

I won't vote for Fauci if he runs for president. You happy? 

Yeah, run away. Clown. 

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

Bump.

25 minutes ago, Reality said:

Bump.

We have the 12th most in the world. Or, we rank 129th out of 140.   Not sure why you wanted to see that. Did you think we were doing well? 

We have the 12th most in the world. Or, we rank 129th out of 140.   Not sure why you wanted to see that. Did you think we were doing well? 

What are the shortcomings of those 11 countries that are doing worse than us?  It had to be terrible leadership, right?

1 minute ago, Reality said:

Do you believe we actually have a 6% death rate? If you do, there's no point in discussing further. 

Not even worth your time. Amirite? 😂 

16 minutes ago, MDC said:

Not even worth your time. Amirite? 😂 

This is exactly like you PA guys denying that Papa Joe is one of the worst human beings to ever be on this earth. Amirite? 

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

This is exactly like you PA guys denying that Papa Joe is one of the worst human beings to ever be on this earth. Amirite? 

Wut 😂?

2 hours ago, FeelingMN said:

Honestly, who cares who's doing a better job testing.  We giving out medals for the best testing country?  Country A is closer to returning to normalcy, and given our current state of affairs that is the only goal worth attaining.  The higher the percentage of a populace being tested, the higher the confidence people have that the virus is being contained....that the folks you see walking around aren't infected.....the more likely people will be to resume their normal behaviors.  When that happens in the US, the economy will skyrocket.  Given that that is pretty unlikely...I don't see how we're going to be able to test most of the people in this country.....I think we're stuck in limbo.  People want to resume their normal lives and kickstart the economy....but I think there's quite a bit of fear still.  When folks are scared, they don't go out to eat or go see a ballgame....in short, they're not going to be spending money....which is crippling the economy.

I'm all for opening things up asap.  We absolutely should.  But it would be easier if more people were being tested.  The fact that they aren't is a valid question.  :dunno: 

The answer to your first two questions/sentences is... NewbieBot.  He's got some sort of news feed telling him about our per capita testing rank.  Apparently we have worse health care than obscure former soviet states, who'd have thunk?  

It also occurs to me that with our capitalist health care, having set up an incentive for hospitals to get money for COVID diagnoses, that we have by far the most COVID deaths.  Shocking.  China had what, 3?  and two of them were doctors who accidentally jumped out of the window (I'm being facetious of course).  Meanwhile we are giving cash money to any place that calls a cough COVID.  I'm not saying that we are wrong to help financially support this on a certain level, but incentives produce expected results, and to treat those results like gospel is not realistic.

13 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

I can't even anymore.

Y'all have at it. 

I'm about out of gas myself on the thread too. That said, I've read every page to this point.