Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Blake Snell says he won't play for reduced salary. "won't risk his life"

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-pitcher-snell-wont-risk-life-pay-cut-140340502--mlb.html

Miami (AFP) - Tampa Bay Rays star pitcher Blake Snell says risking his life by playing Major League Baseball during the coronavirus pandemic for reduced pay is "just not worth it."

The 27-year-old left-hander said Wednesday on his Twitch social media channel that he was concerned about the potential long-term health damage if he contracted the deadly virus that prevented MLB from opening in March as planned.

"The risk is way the hell higher and the amount of money I'm making is way lower. Why the hell would I think about doing that?" Snell said.

"It's not worth it. I love baseball and that, but it's just not worth it."

MLB has pitched a reopening plan to the MLB Players Association, but wants players to take a further pay cut from the pro-rated rates agreed upon in April for a season expected to be shortened to about 82 games per club -- if it can be played at all.

That's a step too far for Snell, the 2018 American League Cy Young Award winner as best pitcher with a major league-leading 21 wins.

"For me to take a pay cut, it's not happening, because the risk is through the roof," Snell said.

"It's a shorter season. Less pay. I've got to get my money. I'm not playing unless I get mine. That's just the way it is for me. I'm sorry if you guys think differently.

Snell, who was set to make $7 million for the 2020 campaign, ripped MLB's plan for a 50-50 split of reduced revenues this year, sharing financial losses with players while extra profits went unshared in better times.

"You all got to understand. You're all going to be like, 'Blake play for the love of the game, man. What's wrong with you? Why should that be a thing?'" Snell said on Twitch.

"Bro, I'm risking my life. What do you mean it should not be a thing? It should 100% be a thing. If I'm going to play, I should be getting the money I signed to be getting paid.

"I should not be getting half of what I'm getting paid because the season's cut in half, on top of a 33% cut of the half that's already there -- so I'm really getting, like, 25%.

"On top of that, it's getting taxed. So, imagine how much I'm actually making to play, you know what I'm saying?

"All that money is gone and now I play risking my life. And if I get the 'rona (virus), guess what happens with that? That stays. That's in my body forever. That damage that was done to my body, that's going to be there forever. So now I've got to play with that."

In text messages later to the Tampa Bay Times, Snell said his stance is about safety and health rather than money, calling the pay cut owners want "super frustrating" because players "have way more risk."

"I mean, honestly, it's just scary to risk my life to get COVID-19 as well as not knowing and spreading it to others," Snell told the newspaper.

"I just want everyone to be healthy and get back to our normal lives 'cause I know I miss mine."

so clueless and so out of touch. I hope MLB never comes back

video here

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/14/mlb-blake-snell-refuses-reduced-salary-proposal-tampa-bay-rays/

"bro I'm risking my life" :o   

Ok. Don’t play. I don’t have him on my fantasy team so I don’t care. 

27yo???? scared to play baseball for millions? straight up poosay.

how many 27yo in good health have died from this???

How much do MLB players get paid if season gets sh1t canned? 

The guy is a starting pitcher. He already only plays about 20-30 games a year during a full season. And in a league that has the DH.

So, you cut that in half, he pitches 10-15 times for $3.5 million? But wait...

"On top of that, it's getting taxed. So, imagine how much I'm actually making to play, you know what I'm saying?"

I can see why he wouldn't want to do it if taxes are going to be taken out. Almost nothing left after that.  :dunno:

And he doesn't want to risk his life and those around him for $3.5M, but for $7M, sure, why not.

• Like 1

I'll take his spot. I've got a hell of a change up that hits mid 70's

Of course my changeup is also my fastball. but Mario only needed one pitch.

I support his decision to not play, baseball is the suck and the players are focking babies, let him go get a real job, focking crybaby

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I support his decision to not play, baseball is the suck and the players are focking babies, let him go get a real job, focking crybaby

Yeah. Thank gawd he isn’t important to society...like all the essential people.

I wouldn't agree to it either. Not because of the "risk" but because of the pay cut. The article made a very valid point... The players are supposed to share the loss now, but surpluses every other year don't get shared? Fock that. 

He is a liberal pvssy. Scared of his own focking shadow.

32 minutes ago, not titans said:

I wouldn't agree to it either. Not because of the "risk" but because of the pay cut. The article made a very valid point... The players are supposed to share the loss now, but surpluses every other year don't get shared? Fock that. 

But they also get fully guaranteed contracts. So the sharing thing is nonsense. Hit 200? You still get all your money, even if you get cut. If they want the NFL model where they share, the owners will ask where do I sign?

That's his right.  If he doesn't think it's worth it, he obviously shouldn't do it.  See ya.

I'd consider it worth it.

11 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

The guy is a starting pitcher. He already only plays about 20-30 games a year during a full season. And in a league that has the DH.

So, you cut that in half, he pitches 10-15 times for $3.5 million? But wait...

"On top of that, it's getting taxed. So, imagine how much I'm actually making to play, you know what I'm saying?"

I can see why he wouldn't want to do it if taxes are going to be taken out. Almost nothing left after that.  :dunno:

And he doesn't want to risk his life and those around him for $3.5M, but for $7M, sure, why not.

1 hour ago, not titans said:

forgetting COVID, I am not sure that the pay cut is worth the risk of injury for a shortened season

3 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

forgetting COVID, I am not sure that the pay cut is worth the risk of injury for a shortened season

I was kind of making fun of him about the taxes part of it, but he doesn't want to take risks due to covid, who am I to say anything about that.

But on the other side of things, it's definitely not worth it for the owners to pay full salary, so, they can take the year off and the nation can focus on getting football up and running.

"I should not be getting half of what I'm getting paid because the season's cut in half,". "plus. I'm getting taxed"

You know, I'm sure the single Mom who saw her hours get cut in half and consequently her pay as well really feels badly for this guy.

Yeah, and God forbid you only get paid for the work you put in. 

And you guys just don't understand! when you get paid  millions of dollars, you pay a lot of taxes!

Eat a diick.

• Like 1

i actually just heard the audio of him talking...

1. he's focking white????

2. obviously the dude is a focking moron. at least sounds like one.

I don’t blame him. Players should be getting additional hazard pay for playing, not a further pay cut. They’re not just exposing themselves, they’re exposing anyone they come into contact with. Nobody needs baseball. 

At this point just cancel the MLB and NBA / NHL seasons. Maybe football gets an abbreviated season that starts late with no live fans. Fine. Every proposal to start up any other league is a total nonstarter at this point.

18 minutes ago, MDC said:

I don’t blame him. Players should be getting additional hazard pay for playing, not a further pay cut. They’re not just exposing themselves, they’re exposing anyone they come into contact with. Nobody needs baseball. 

At this point just cancel the MLB and NBA / NHL seasons. Maybe football gets an abbreviated season that starts late with no live fans. Fine. Every proposal to start up any other league is a total nonstarter at this point.

From one cuck to another. 

18 minutes ago, MDC said:

Hazard pay rofl. 

14 minutes ago, MDC said:

I don’t blame him. Players should be getting additional hazard pay for playing, not a further pay cut. They’re not just exposing themselves, they’re exposing anyone they come into contact with.

Sounds Prima Donna-ish to me.  He'll play if he gets paid for a full season while only playing a half-season, but won't take normal money.  Normal money being, getting paid for games played.  I mean really, it's not a pay cut.  His contract is based on a 162 game season.  If they play 80 and get paid for 80, it's just pro-rated, not a pay cut.  He's not "risking his life".  His age group is pretty safe

37 minutes ago, MDC said:

trollin, you see me trollin'....

37 minutes ago, MDC said:

Hazard pay for playing baseball. Ok. 

52 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

Right? I heard it, I am like that's not blake snell, that's Aroldis Chapman

I guess he won’t be playing or leaving his house until we have a cure. If he’s so worried.  

If I were the Rays, I'd say "fine, stay home, we don't need you.  When we win the World Series, don't ever say "WE" when referring to the 2020 season, expect a ring, or notoriety".

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I guess he won’t be playing or leaving his house until we have a cure. If he’s so worried.  

Exactly.  You know he won't though.  He'll sit out this season (if there is one), and then play in 2021 when absolutely NOTHING will have changed, and collect his full paycheck.  That's why I have no sympathy for his stance.

57 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Sounds Prima Donna-ish to me.  He'll play if he gets paid for a full season while only playing a half-season, but won't take normal money.  Normal money being, getting paid for games played.  I mean really, it's not a pay cut.  His contract is based on a 162 game season.  If they play 80 and get paid for 80, it's just pro-rated, not a pay cut.  He's not "risking his life".  His age group is pretty safe

This guy isn’t risking his life, probably. I don’t blame MLB players for not wanting to either expose their loved one to covid or live in a bubble for months. Especially if they’re expected to take a pay cut to do it. For what? MLB is totally inessential.

i just don’t see any of these proposals happening. 

I wish they would just shut up and not play. 

57 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I wish they would just shut up and not play. 

Preach.  If you don't want to play, don't play.  No one gives a shìt.

1 hour ago, MDC said:

This guy isn’t risking his life, probably. I don’t blame MLB players for not wanting to either expose their loved one to covid or live in a bubble for months. Especially if they’re expected to take a pay cut to do it. For what? MLB is totally inessential.

i just don’t see any of these proposals happening. 

It's not a paycut though, that's my point.  Like I said, their contracts are based on a 162 game schedule.  If they play an abbreviated season, they can't get paid the full amount.  They'll get paid their normal rate, it's just that they're going to get paid for half their normal work.  Also, I don't see it as anything noble as he pretty much said that he'd play if he got paid for a full season.  So essentially, he'll put his family and friends at risk if they're getting paid for 162 games, but not 81.  It's greedy and selfish, not conscientious/cautious or noble.  Simply, he's full of crap.

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It's not a paycut though, that's my point.  Like I said, their contracts are based on a 162 game schedule.  If they play an abbreviated season, they can't get paid the full amount.  They'll get paid their normal rate, it's just that they're going to get paid for half their normal work.  Also, I don't see it as anything noble as he pretty much said that he'd play if he got paid for a full season.  So essentially, he'll put his family and friends at risk if they're getting paid for 162 games, but not 81.  It's greedy and selfish, not conscientious/cautious or noble.  Simply, he's full of crap.

My understanding is the MLBA already agreed to prorated salaries but the owners want a 50-50 revenue split instead:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/scott-boras-criticizes-mlb-over-revenue-sharing-proposal-for-2020-season/amp/

Snell sounds like a diick but other players would have valid reasons for not playing. Mike Trout’s wife is expecting, back in April he was asking whether he’d have to quarantine from his family during the season. Any player with a compromised family member would have the same issues.

I think it’s a nonstarter. If MLB, NBA or NHL start up, what happens when a single player gets sick? You’d basically have to the league down. I think that’s an even worse look than not reopening this year. Karl Anthony Towns mom doesn’t of Covid. Is the NBA going to ask him to play?

NFL should wait and see. By the time the environment is right and any other league has a plan in place they’ll be infringing on their next seasons. Just shut it down already.

54 minutes ago, MDC said:

My understanding is the MLBA already agreed to prorated salaries but the owners want a 50-50 revenue split instead:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/scott-boras-criticizes-mlb-over-revenue-sharing-proposal-for-2020-season/amp/

Snell sounds like a diick but other players would have valid reasons for not playing. Mike Trout’s wife is expecting, back in April he was asking whether he’d have to quarantine from his family during the season. Any player with a compromised family member would have the same issues.

I think it’s a nonstarter. If MLB, NBA or NHL start up, what happens when a single player gets sick? You’d basically have to the league down. I think that’s an even worse look than not reopening this year. Karl Anthony Towns mom doesn’t of Covid. Is the NBA going to ask him to play?

NFL should wait and see. By the time the environment is right and any other league has a plan in place they’ll be infringing on their next seasons. Just shut it down already.

I don't have a problem with them not playing if they say, "I'd rather not play this year because I don't think it's safe.  If my teammates are ok with it, then I think they should go out and play, I hope they stay safe."  Don't say, I'm not playing for half the money, but if they pay be the full number, I will.

4 hours ago, porkbutt said:

Fvck. I heard that too. Is that guy trying to build a resume for a role in the next Airplane movie?

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't have a problem with them not playing if they say, "I'd rather not play this year because I don't think it's safe.  If my teammates are ok with it, then I think they should go out and play, I hope they stay safe."  Don't say, I'm not playing for half the money, but if they pay be the full number, I will.

No argument here. The way he said it was definitely dooshy.

Just now, MDC said:

No argument here. The way he said it was definitely dooshy.

Yup, that's all I'm saying.

• Like 1

Def his right to not play. 

And def everyone else's right to say Fock'm - including me.