Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Next round of $1200 checks coming soon

In Florida they don't even call it unemployment they call it "re-employment" and I'm not on a W-2 so I'm not eligible. I got the UPA for a few weeks but it stopped when I went back to work at the beginning of the month. I only know a handful of people now collecting government checks, the rest of us have been working again for a few weeks now.

2 hours ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Should be a loan. No income tax refund check until it's all paid back. 

Fock that. Print me off 12 Ben Franklins and call it even.

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I don't know how it would create that much more man hours. People get paid based on their income, well at least in IL. Is unemployment a set amount in some states? I guess not all states are the same, but in IL they already know how much applicants have made and base their unemployment pay based on that amount. Since they already have the amount someone makes, just add a percentage based off of that. If someone gets the maximum their state allows, then add 50-75% on top. If someone lives in a state that hands out less unemployment, like Indiana, tough shlt.

In Michigan the max you can get is 362 a week no matter what you make

Back to the unemployment - my boys (21/18) were collecting and they didn’t bat an eye when they got called back to their bartender/bar back jobs - they were so done being home and not working. 

Unfortunately they are now making very little $$ with outdoor seating in 90+ degree  weather. 

Prior to Covid
On a good Friday/ Saturday night and football Sunday they would make $200 to $300 a night

23 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

In Michigan the max you can get is 362 a week no matter what you make

In IL its over 600 with a dependent. Michigan has Lower unemployment for a reason, so you would get less money than IL residents. 

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I don't know how it would create that much more man hours. People get paid based on their income, well at least in IL. Is unemployment a set amount in some states? I guess not all states are the same, but in IL they already know how much applicants have made and base their unemployment pay based on that amount. Since they already have the amount someone makes, just add a percentage based off of that. If someone gets the maximum their state allows, then add 50-75% on top. If someone lives in a state that hands out less unemployment, like Indiana, tough shlt.

AZ max is 250 a week. 

38 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

Back to the unemployment - my boys (21/18) were collecting and they didn’t bat an eye when they got called back to their bartender/bar back jobs - they were so done being home and not working. 

Unfortunately they are now making very little $$ with outdoor seating in 90+ degree  weather. 

Prior to Covid
On a good Friday/ Saturday night and football Sunday they would make $200 to $300 a night

Neither of my kids have gotten called back to work. Boy is 25, was doing convention a/v setup at resorts, girl 21  worked at a concert venue

9 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Neither of my kids have gotten called back to work. Boy is 25, was doing convention a/v setup at resorts, girl 21  worked at a concert venue

Hopefully they are still collecting unemployment 

12 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

Prior to Covid

I bartend Friday nights right now. It's an outdoor bar (covered with an awning) People cannot sit at the bar,  it is configured in a way, that the bar has 7 tables that can handle 2 to 3 people.  It is me and my sister in law (38DD), she does most of the tables and I do most of the service drinks. typically we would make 300+, so far this year we have made $175 to $250. The servers have not lost a penny and still make $350 per shift. I am not sour at the money, it is just extra money for me. it seems wildly unfair and they should tip the bartenders more than they normally would, that is what I would do. They are mostly young selfish focks.

$2400 ($1200 + $1200)  is lot of money to be missing out on.  Should be $1200 to anyone making $100,000 or less and $600 for everyone else.  Seems more fair.  I make a little over a hundred thou (mostly cuz I work the OT nobody wants) but I can still use $2400.

I only got like 700 last time :cry:  in 2020 I will get 0 😎

3 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

So, maybe I am not quite getting hit as hard with this stuff, but why do people need a $1200 handout at this time?

Lots of less fortunate people have lost their jahbs and haven't been able to WFH for the past 5 months. 

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Lots of less fortunate people have lost their jahbs and haven't been able to WFH for the past 5 months. 

I get that, but isn't that what unemployment is for? Shouldn't we leverage the mechanisms in place to cover people who are out of work instead of making new ones that could (have) pay people more money to not work than to work?

12 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I get that, but isn't that what unemployment is for? Shouldn't we leverage the mechanisms in place to cover people who are out of work instead of making new ones that could (have) pay people more money to not work than to work?

Unemployment is *normally* a bridge to help people from one job to another.  It also only pays a percentage of what one was making.   Why not make that percentage 100% while schools, stores, all things shut down because of the Pandemic?   Once it opens back up, unemployment goes back to its original plan too.

Example, single mother of two elementary school kids who had to quit her job because schools are all virtual at home now.    

It's freaking weird times, schools are at home, etc.  I fully support unemployment being adjusted accordingly.

Where I do agree was that flat $600, that was ridiculous and knee jerk. 

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

Unemployment is *normally* a bridge to help people from one job to another.  It also only pays a percentage of what one was making.   Why not make that percentage 100% while schools, stores, all things shut down because of the Pandemic?   Once it opens back up, unemployment goes back to its original plan too.

Example, single mother of two elementary school kids who had to quit her job because schools are all virtual at home now.    

It's freaking weird times, schools are at home, etc.  I fully support unemployment being adjusted accordingly.

Agreed. I am onboard with augmenting the current unemployment numbers and perhaps extend the timeline if this goes too long. However, the blanket checks without any mechanism to take into account prior income and other assistance seems to be too much and too reactionary. 

3 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

So, maybe I am not quite getting hit as hard with this stuff, but why do people need a $1200 handout at this time?

Because they take enough of my $ and piss it away???? That is more than a good enough reason.

It's my FUCKIN $1200 to begin with.

40 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Because they take enough of my $ and piss it away???? That is more than a good enough reason.

It's my FUCKIN $1200 to begin with.

BS. If you are at the Geek Club, you don't qualify for the $1200. You make too much money.

• Like 1

Think I’ll put in new gutters with my check. MAGA 

Anyone who has been getting an extra $600 a week for unemployment  should be exempt from any new handouts.  

Hold up...dems want the 600 a week continued...the Reps want it lowered...

So the dems can act like they are for the working man...then later they can say look at the wasted tax money

9 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Hold up...dems want the 600 a week continued...the Reps want it lowered...

So the dems can act like they are for the working man...then later they can say look at the wasted tax money

only if they lose in Nov. Trump needs to up the payout. That's how you buy votes.

There needs to be a mechanism for employers to report individuals who they have offered jobs to but we're turned down.

On UE and been offered a job but turned it down? No more UE for you. Get back to work, slacker! :angry:

On 7/23/2020 at 3:33 PM, lod001 said:

Beautiful. I'll probably put that $ towards buying an AR-15.

I am going to get this. Michigan laws are so stupid for hunting with a rifle where I live. It has to be a walled cartridge and has to be basically be a pistol round.  So I am going with a 45/70 trapper. 

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/72655-DEFAULT-l.jpg

On 7/23/2020 at 8:12 PM, shorepatrol said:

What college degrees get you those jobs?

5 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

What college degrees get you those jobs?

I think some engineering degrees are actually valuable for that.  Some techs have to basically know how EVERYTHING works and how to fix it, then they sit backstage for several days on-call waiting for something to break, then they have to fix it super fast.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:51 AM, KSB2424 said:

Trickle down economics only works when you give the rich more money.

4 minutes ago, LOD01 said:

All these idiots sitting at home thinking they have struck it rich with that $600 a week are about to find out that the music is gonna stop and they won't have a chair to sit in.

https://www.yahoo.com/money/millions-of-americans-will-stay-jobless-for-six-months-or-more-205047951.html

My Boss said 2 months. I am on 3.  I have prepared for a year. Anything extra the feds give will help but I am not counting on it. 

1 minute ago, LOD01 said:

All these idiots sitting at home thinking they have struck it rich with that $600 a week are about to find out that the music is gonna stop and they won't have a chair to sit in.

https://www.yahoo.com/money/millions-of-americans-will-stay-jobless-for-six-months-or-more-205047951.html

Eviction relief also ends July 25th.  There's gonna be a lot of people thrown out of their homes, apartments and condos very soon unless the government steps in.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:51 AM, edjr said:

I only got like 700 last time :cry:  in 2020 I will get 0 😎

It'll be based on your 2019 tax return, just like last time. You'll get the same thing.

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Hard to find work if your whitey

Gotta go to a non democrat held area for a fair shot at a job. 

7 hours ago, riversco said:

Eviction relief also ends July 25th.  There's gonna be a lot of people thrown out of their homes, apartments and condos very soon unless the government steps in.

:wave: Byeeee. Time to leave.

58 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

:wave: Byeeee. Time to leave.

I wonder if this would be the time to browse apartment complexes for people selling all their stuff via flyers or garage sales. 

On 7/25/2020 at 5:50 PM, Thornton Melon said:

It'll be based on your 2019 tax return, just like last time. You'll get the same thing.

I know this next will be based on 2019, I assumed if there were another payment after April 2021 it would be based on 2020 :dunno:

On 7/25/2020 at 2:50 PM, Thornton Melon said:

The first check hit prior to 2019 filing date so if you hadn't filed yet it was based off 2018 return.   This was the case for me. 

Guess I'll be getting less this 2nd time around since our AGI was higher in 2019.  Oh well, I'll still put the cash towards a PS5. 

The republicans offer is dead on arrival. They need like 6 dems to cross over and not to lose any republicans. Neither will happen. 

Pelosi doesn’t want the economy to get better. It’s pretty obvious.