Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

3 gorges dam "deformed" by floods.

The river basin at the bottom of the 3 gorges dam accounts for nearly half of China’s agricultural output and a failure would kill 100 MILLION people between the immediate deluge and the resulting famine caused by the loss of farmland and crops planted currently. It would cause the complete collapse of Chinese society. The fear is that smaller dams are going to fail upstream in the continued torrential rain and cause a black swan event. The water level currently is at an all time high of 163meters and will top at 185 with more flooding expected to come. 

https://swarajyamag.com/science/china-faces-wrath-of-rain-fears-over-breach-and-deformation-of-controversial-three-gorges-dam

Since the start of Asia’s summer monsoon season on June 1, 2020, excessive rainfall has pushed lakes and rivers to record high levels in China. Flooding within the Yangtze River Basin, in particular, has displaced millions of people.

The Yangtze River is Asia’s longest, winding 6300 kilometers (3,900 miles) through China. Together with its network of tributaries and lakes, the river system has undergone significant development as a means to generate power, store water for drinking and irrigation, and control flooding. Today the watershed is dotted with tens of thousands of reservoirs, and its rivers are spanned by numerous dams.

Gezhouba Dam June 2020

June 30, 2020

During the 2020 summer monsoon, floodwater was being held, or “absorbed,” by 2,297 reservoirs in the region, including the one behind Three Gorges Dam. In an attempt to regulate the flow of floodwater, dam operators can discharge water through spillway gates.

Those gates were open when these images were acquired on June 30, 2020, with the Operational Land Imager (OLI) on Landsat 8. The images are composites of natural color and shortwave infrared to better distinguish the water. Note how the torrent flowing through the spillways changes how the water downstream reflects light, making it appear whiter.

The image at the top of this page shows water moving through the gates of Three Gorges Dam. Spanning a segment of the Yangtze River in central China’s Hubei Province, the dam is 2300 meters long and stands 185 meters high. The second image shows the smaller Gezhouba Dam, located about 26 kilometers (16 miles) southeast from Three Gorges. This dam also appeared to have its spillway gates open.

Yangtze River June 2020

June 30, 2020

When these images were acquired in June, the waterways were trying to handle the first major flooding of the monsoon season. A second wave of severe flooding, referred to by local media as the “No. 2 flood,” hit the region in July. Between and during these flood events, continuous adjustments are made to the amount of reservoir outflow flowing through the gates.

According to the Three Gorges Corporation, the water level in the reservoir reached a record high flood season level of 164.18 meters on July 19. The previous high level reached during the flood season since the dam became fully operational in 2012 was 163.11 meters. The reservoir is designed to hold a maximum water level of 175 meters.

NASA Earth Observatory images by Joshua Stevens, using Landsat data from the U.S. Geological Survey.

Yah I saw a computer generated thing on what could happen, its crazy, it will wipe out cities for miles and miles instantly

We need to help rebuild/repair ASAP, be the bigger country, get our engineers over there, start shipping steel by the tonnes and get something up, I dont think its going to last much longer

after its done, call our debt to them even

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

also, has anyone suggested flex-seal?

Billy Mays did and they had him killed 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

also, has anyone suggested flex-seal?

Phil Swift would be very happy...

Will there still be enough slaves to make LeBrons sneakers for NIKE? 

33 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Yah I saw a computer generated thing on what could happen, its crazy, it will wipe out cities for miles and miles instantly

We need to help rebuild/repair ASAP, be the bigger country, get our engineers over there, start shipping steel by the tonnes and get something up, I dont think its going to last much longer

LOL China isn't going to do that.

• Like 1

Just now, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

thats why we put a "red button" in the new damn lol

I meant allowing us to help. They will have their own people do it.

Also it always made me laugh when people would praise china when they build stuff so fast. 

Meh, if it breaks, it breaks....

3 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Also it always made me laugh when people would praise china when they build stuff so fast. 

I saw a video of a high rise in China that just fell. No demolition, no earthquake, nothing. It just collapsed. 

34 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I saw a video of a high rise in China that just fell. No demolition, no earthquake, nothing. It just collapsed. 

There are a lot of videos of these POS buildings.

9 minutes ago, DonS said:

Beat me to it, .asshat :mad:

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

I meant allowing us to help. They will have their own people do it.

I don't know about that.  I worked for a company which supplied subsystems for an aircraft China was developing.  China had a bunch of engineers but they were all young and inexperienced, fairly fresh out of college.  They were more than willing to have us teach them anything we were willing to, although in the end they actually built the final airplane.  I suspect they would be similar here.

4 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I don't know about that.  I worked for a company which supplied subsystems for an aircraft China was developing.  China had a bunch of engineers but they were all young and inexperienced, fairly fresh out of college.  They were more than willing to have us teach them anything we were willing to, although in the end they actually built the final airplane.  I suspect they would be similar here.

Yeah that's their way which is smart. That's why western companies can't get into the Chinese market. They are more than willing to let us teach them, but at the end of the day they will make sure it's Chinises business being built up and not facebook, amazon etc... 

7 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Considering we get most of our steel from China...

3 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Yeah that's their way which is smart. That's why western companies can't get into the Chinese market. They are more than willing to let us teach them, but at the end of the day they will make sure it's Chinises business being built up and not facebook, amazon etc... 

We need a leader here that puts American companies first. One that wants our citizens to prosper. That's why I'm voting for China Joe!

Oh, schit. I mean I want our businesses to move overseas and foreigners to come here illegally and steal our tax money. That's why I'm voting for China Joe!

• Haha 1

Look...the damn is gonna break..

Chinese leaders realized too many people...have to cull a few...

1st attempt...make a virus..kill lots of elderly...and unhealthy..

That didnt get enough..and they got caught making the virus..

Blow the damn...wipe out lots of excess population...wipe out wuhan and the evidence..

Case closed

1 minute ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Blow the damn...wipe out lots of excess population...wipe out wuhan and the evidence..

Case closed

Shame, that's exactly what happened to all of my guns. I had all my guns, bullets too, at my friend's house in Midland, Mi. The Damn burst, because out governor who ran on fixing our roads in infrastructure ignored the issue and I lost everything. 

The area above the 3 gorges damn is about to get hit by an estimated 3 FEET of rain in the next 24-36 hours. If it fails. It is going to fail this week.

If it does, who will take in all the refugees? 

Chinese built damn.  What's the worse that could happen?    :unsure:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Chinese built damn.  What's the worse that could happen?    :unsure:

You order it from wish and get  Chinese dental dam?

59 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Should have built big finger locks for those gorges instead of dams. 

Finger locks do not generate electricity.

1 hour ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Should have built big finger locks for those gorges instead of dams. 

You shouldn't repeat your pillow talk with Nadler.

1 minute ago, Bert said:

Finger locks do not generate electricity.

yes....but they are finger locking good.  Probably made of cat there though.