Sign in to follow this  
Strike

Steve Job's widow: ”It’s not right for individuals to accumulate a massive amount of wealth"

Just now, TimmySmith said:

"I am rich and therefore my opinion about rich people matters."  

She also has a number of business interests that can affect the political climate so basically it's not just that her opinion matters but she can turn her opinion in to action that can affect those she chooses to, which will be you and me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

"I am rich and therefore my opinion about rich people matters."  

Don't give a sh1t what this bimbo thinks.

The Soviet Union proved that even if you barred the ability of people to accumulate wealth, it does not matter because elites will simply accumulate POWER instead. 

Or go back several hundred years.  Owning wealth wasn't a thing.  You owned LAND, you owned TITLES (such as Duke, Earl, Count, Lord, etc).  Those things gave you POWER.  The argument back then was that we should destroy the title system and move to a merit system where people earn money and use money to accumulate power, as that was more equitable for everyone involved than the title system.  And now people say the money system is not right.  Well, the options are FAR WORSE.  We would move back to a title system or some other old boy network that is far more inefficient with less liquidity.

Its easy to just come out and say owning too much wealth is bad.  (And as they say, it is easy to be a liberal for that reason).  But they don't really have any better options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strike said:

This is the setting of your average low income chat between two people:

So on a cold morning late last year, we settled onto plush couches in the dimly lit drawing room of the Greenwich Hotel in New York, warmed by a raging fireplace. As she sipped green juice, we spoke about climate change, a shared interest in Buddhism and more.

It’s easy to sit there and say you’d like to have more money.  And I guess that’s what I like about it.  It’s easy.  Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

• Like 1

I agree and it’s the same point I was trying to make in the Mackenzie Bezos thread.

Something is seriously wrong when one person can end up with THAT MUCH money. No I’m not talking millionaires, I mean people with billions and billions of dollars.

Just now, IGotWorms said:

I agree and it’s the same point I was trying to make in the Mackenzie Bezos thread.

Something is seriously wrong when one person can end up with THAT MUCH money. No I’m not talking millionaires, I mean people with billions and billions of dollars.

😂

I think 1 billion is enough, no? do people really need more than that?

So this chick has been around technology for quite many years and understands what social media does and how it affects kids growing up in a world of communicating more on twitter and facebook and whatever else electronic (where communication is significantly less personal and significantly more aggressive and less understandable) with less and less face to face communication going on in this world. And she says this: :doh:

Ms. Powell Jobs, 56, is acting with a sense of urgency these days. She believes that President Trump’s statements and policies have unleashed dark forces that are tearing apart the very fabric of society.

“There’s been a significant breakdown in Americans’ ability to speak to one another and to hear one another,” she said. “That’s become much worse in the last three years, where there’s been full license given to the otherization of our neighbor.”

40 minutes ago, edjr said:

the fact that one person in this country has 1 billion dollars doesnt change your ability to earn or not earn 1 billion dollars

I never understood why people care or think they deserve what other people had

9 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

the fact that one person in this country has 1 billion dollars doesnt change your ability to earn or not earn 1 billion dollars

Depends on your definition of earn.  You think that fortune was made off of just some technology? 

I thought it was a pretty good article.  She seems pretty smart, articulate and level headed.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Depends on your definition of earn.  You think that fortune was made off of just some technology? 

who cares how it was made, she was part of it, good for her, my first mil was made off weed

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

The entire idea of capitalism is that it’s the most effective means of fairly and efficiently distributing wealth.

And I believe that’s true. Certainly in comparison to a centralized system like communism anyways.

But when you end up with most wealth being concentrated in the hands of a few, something has gone wrong. 

34 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

who cares how it was made, she was part of it, good for her, my first mil was made off weed

I care how it was made. If they made something that would be great.  But making money off of money isn’t the same. And shouldn’t be treated differently than money made off of labor. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

The entire idea of capitalism is that it’s the most effective means of fairly and efficiently distributing wealth.

And I believe that’s true. Certainly in comparison to a centralized system like communism anyways.

But when you end up with most wealth being concentrated in the hands of a few, something has gone wrong. 

its not though

Middle Class is 45-137k annually

Upper Class avg 187k annually

thats 62% of the people

so if 150 mil people avg 100k thats 15 trillion

her 27 bil is a drop in the bucket, the thoughts that the rich have such a high % of the money is a fallacy

most of her 27 is in stock, ie not liquid and its not like her annual income.  Not to mention the number of jobs they provide

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I care how it was made. If they made something that would be great.  But making money off of money isn’t the same. And shouldn’t be treated differently than money made off of labor. 

I disagree, investments are the only thing stabilizing the economy and are necessary, otherwise nobody would make them

20 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I disagree, investments are the only thing stabilizing the economy and are necessary, otherwise nobody would make them

Really? The what would they do with their riches? Mattress? Start a business? Build things? 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Really? The what would they do with their riches? Mattress? Start a business? Build things? 

everybody acts like they have stacks of cash just sitting around.  most billionaires do all those things I dont see a problem though.  Although I am of the taxation is theft crowd and the mind your own focking business crowd

42 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

This assumes wealth stays at some stationary level that never increases, and that one person having more of it means they do so at the detriment of someone else. 

Now that she's lived most of her life on her billions only NOW does she come out and say something.  Give me a f@ckn break.  F@ck her.

I told you guys that liberals are keeping theirs, but you're giving up yours.   When she spoke, she wasn't talking about herself.   She was talking about everyone else.

18 hours ago, edjr said:

So you get to 1 Billion then what?  Close your businesses and lay off all your workers?   Take your money out of the stock market and go home? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

So you get to 1 Billion then what?  Close your businesses and lay off all your workers?   Take your money out of the stock market and go home? 

Maybe pay the same tax rate as me? At least? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They do.  Hth.

9 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Have you looked at Biden’s tax plan? You’ll like it. I hate it.

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

They do.  Hth.

Yeah, no, FYI. 

Just now, Gladiators said:

Have you looked at Biden’s tax plan? You’ll like it. I hate it.

He’s talking about income tax. And no, I don’t like it. Mega rich people don’t get pay checks. Working people do, even the really rich ones. 

I don’t think there’s a problem with people accumulating a massive amount of wealth. I think there’s a problem with US businesses leveraging foreign labor and tax shelters and a tax code that allows the very rich to pay a far lower effective rate than people who work for a living. But this is our political ruling class and they’re not going to police themselves.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Strike said:

They do.  Hth.

Wow somebody has not been paying attention. At all.

16 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Wow somebody has not been paying attention. At all.

This from the guy who thinks capitalism is about redistributing a static amount of wealth.  😂

One more thing worth noting:

Unlike many other Silicon Valley billionaires, Powell Jobs has not signed the Giving Pledge, which was launched by Warren Buffett and Bill and Melinda Gates. Signees pledge to give away the majority of their wealth to philanthropy.

https://www.businessinsider.com/laurene-powell-jobs-children-wont-inherit-billions-2020-2

She accumulated how much of that wealth by letting her money grow tax free and paying less when she liberates it from the tax shelter and now she gets to turn around and use it against the actual tax payers. And write  it off. Some system. 

9 minutes ago, Strike said:

This from the guy who thinks capitalism is about redistributing a static amount of wealth.  😂

Not what I said, but par for the course from you.

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Not what I said, but par for the course from you.

Yes it is.  And I gave you the opportunity to clarify and you chose not to.  You still can if you want.  The thread still exists.  But nice try at backtracking.