Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

How involved should we get in Haiti?

They’re asking for US assistance.

I know a certain segment will say screw em, but that’s probably short sighted. Our power derives from our leadership (much neglected the past several years).

But obviously there can be too much involvement as well.

What say you?

After 24 hours of wild gun battles with suspects in the assassination of Haiti’s president, the nation’s authorities announced the arrests of 20 people and called on the United States to send troops to help protect crucial infrastructure.

Haiti’s remarkable request for military assistance from the United States, a former colonial overlord that has repeatedly intervened in the nation’s affairs, is a measure of how deeply shaken the nation has been by days of chaos and intrigue. As new developments unfolded at a dizzying pace on Friday, the mystery over who was ultimately behind the assassination only deepened.

On the streets, vigilantes prowled for suspects, and the police killed at least three people in gunfights. The vast majority of those arrested have turned out to be from Colombia — former military men said to have turned mercenaries — as questions arose about why it had been so easy for attackers to burst into President Jovenel Moïse’s home and kill him, seemingly with no shots fired from security staff.

And in a brewing political crisis, suspicion has prompted what may shape up to be a standoff between rival governments.

This place is as screwed up as Afghanistan.  We should send some humanitarian aide but understand any money spent beyond that is wasted.  Maybe the Sierra Club will step up and do something to help these people.

12 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

They’re asking for US assistance.

I know a certain segment will say screw em, but that’s probably short sighted. Our power derives from our leadership (much neglected the past several years).

But obviously there can be too much involvement as well.

What say you?

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses

1 hour ago, frank said:

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses

I thought it was from some watery tart throwing a sword at you :unsure:

Didn’t they say the US was trying to invade them when we offered to help after an earthquake or hurricane devastated the region

Western liberals ruined Haiti 200 years ago and walked away.  They should fix Haiti first before trying to achieve "Social Justice" anywhere else. 

I’d answer but worms feels the need to make everything about OMB

he also thinks Biden is a leader so let that bumbling moron figure it out

msybe send kamala in 6 months to the DR

31 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Weird, a few weeks ago people here were praising them for their low covid death rate.

Did the covid alarm go off in the Cuckcave? 

• Haha 1

I'm confused as to why Haiti isn't some POC paradise. Do they have a right-wing proud boy racism problem too?

Fock'em.

The US government is too racist, self serving, and colonially oppressive to do anything but cause more problems.  The best we can offer is a delegation of black transgender activists, as many mostly peaceful BLM protestors as want to volunteer to help, being led and organized by big city politicians with defunded police governing experience.

Good Luck, Haiti.

I’d send humanitarian aid not troops. Isn’t this the sort of thing NATO should be doing? 

We sent 800 million to Columbia in 2020. 

1 hour ago, MDC said:

I’d send humanitarian aid not troops. Isn’t this the sort of thing NATO should be doing? 

I’m not sure it falls within the jurisdiction of NATO. They’re basically supposed to be in and around former eastern bloc countries.

UN should be involved though

3 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I’d answer but worms feels the need to make everything about OMB

he also thinks Biden is a leader so let that bumbling moron figure it out

msybe send kamala in 6 months to the DR

Whatever Biden^ does or doesn't do works for me. There are no good answers, the place will remain an abysmal failure whatever policy he comes up with, and that's less an appraisal of the competency of the Biden* regime response than the reality on the ground in Haiti, where even the best laid plans will go nowhere. The place is unfixable and not worth the effort.

2 hours ago, MDC said:

Haiti is in the North Atlantic? 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Haiti is in the North Atlantic? 

Is Bosnia? Serbia? Kosovo?

But yeah, it’s mostly to guard against a renewed Russian threat. Which is why your boy was determined to undermine it, strange how that works

Since reparations are in fashion I propose massive reparations against Democrats and the Democrat voters and allies Of Democrats to fund a Haiti Reconstruction.  I look forward to their complaints that it wasn’t them that it was Liberals 200 years ago that intervened.

15 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

But yeah, it’s mostly to guard against a renewed Russian threat. Which is why your boy was determined to undermine it, strange how that works

Yeah, they’re close, Haiti and the eastern bloc. 

• Confused 1

Still waiting for someone to explain to me why Haiti isn't a paradise. It's run by black people. It should be perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

And by undermine you mean expect other countries to pay their far share of course 

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

That was one demand he used to try and drive wedges and undermine the alliance. There were many others as well

Why was he trying to undermine them? 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Why was he trying to undermine them? 

Russia & Putin

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

Russia & Putin

Ha! And how was getting them to pay their fair  share, that they agreed to do, and did, supposed to help Putin? How did arming Ukraine help Putin? Russia !!! 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ha! And how was getting them to pay their fair  share, that they agreed to do, and did, supposed to help Putin? How did arming Ukraine help Putin? Russia !!! 

You should review the links I provided. The actions were intended to drive a wedge between the US and NATO, which was obviously for the benefit of Putin and Russia. I suppose it could’ve just happened to benefit Putin’s agenda but I can see no other purpose. As for the Ukraine, lol, don’t you remember he refused to give assistance unless the Ukrainian leader ceded to blackmail and lied about a US political adversary?

But here’s the one thing I will say, Obama didn’t do sh1t about the Crimea annexation and that allowed most of this stuff to happen. That and the “red line” comment were probably two of his biggest fockups.

6 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Weird, a few weeks ago people here were praising them for their low covid death rate.

Seek help, you have real issues.

Risk American lives for this? No thanks. Send some supplies, sure. Places like this are completely focked for all eternity.

29 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

So to be clear you are against bringing troops home pro being the world police and pro us paying for it got it. I’m glad your New York Times opinion pieces agree with you

trump 😡😡😡😡😡Russia 

yah the guy whose put more sanctions on Russia than any president. Got it 

here is my stance. America first America only fock the rest of them. All of them. If another American does in a meaningless war fock that

10 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Why would get involved in Haiti and not Chicago? Honest question.

This is the best question. And that is just a subset of the problems we have here.

It's kind of like if you have a loved one, say your child,  who is sick and will be damaged or die without medical attentiion, and you instead choose to take your money and time to help some other kid in the Congo who is in the same situation rather than helping your own kid. 

• Like 1