Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

SCOTUS lets Texas abortion law stand

Or technically, refused to hear an emergency petition prior to the law going into effect (they or another court could still ban it down the road).

Supreme Court allows Texas’ 6-week abortion ban to take effect

The court did not act on an emergency petition.

By ALICE MIRANDA OLLSTEIN

09/01/2021 01:06 AM EDT

Updated: 09/01/2021 10:08 AM EDT

The Supreme Court early Wednesday let a Texas state law take effect that allows private citizens to sue to uphold a ban on the procedure after six weeks of pregnancy, potentially creating a new template for states to impose strict restrictions on the procedure.

The court’s decision to not act on an emergency petition from Texas abortion clinics comes as the justices prepare to more broadly reconsider the right to an abortion it established almost 50 years ago. In May, justices agreed to review Mississippi’s ban on the procedure after 15 weeks of pregnancy — a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision that legalized abortion nationwide. Those arguments are expected later this year, with a ruling in 2022.

"This is a de facto overturning of Roe before the Supreme Court has time to hear the Mississippi case," said Planned Parenthood President Alexis McGill Johnson. "And Texas will now go back to being a pre-Roe state, turning the clock back 50 years."

Beyond outlawing abortion as early as six weeks into a pregnancy, the Texas law, signed in May, would deputize citizens to file civil suits against abortion providers or anyone who helps facilitate the procedure after six weeks, such as a person who drives a pregnant person to the clinic. Individuals found to have violated the law would have to pay $10,000 to the person who successfully brings such a suit — a bounty abortion rights advocates warn will encourage harassment, intimidation and vigilantism.

Anti-abortion groups in the state such as Texas Right to Life have in recent weeks set up tip lines for people to anonymously report violators, ahead of the law's implementation. Earlier on Tuesday, the a federal district court issued a temporary restraining order barring the group from filing suits against a small group of individuals and organizations that assist patients in obtaining an abortion. But both sides of the case acknowledge the order is very narrow, and the anti-abortion group said it still plans to solicit tips and bring lawsuits against abortion providers now that courts have given a green light to the law's implementation.

The group’s spokesperson Kimberlyn Schwartz told POLITICO that protesters have flooded their "whistleblower" website with phony tips in recent days, but claimed "they’ve been extremely easy to spot and filter out." Schwartz said soliciting tips is just one of the ways they plan to enforce the state's law, but declined to answer whether they also plan to physically monitor clinics.

“We’ll be on the lookout for illegal abortions that are happening," she said. "We will see how the abortionists behave."

McGill Johnson said Planned Parenthood's clinics in Texas are already noticing an increase in surveillance in the lead up to the law's implementation.

"As our providers are grappling with the logistical challenges of calling all their patients and telling them what they’ll be able to provide and helping them find places to access abortions out of state and secure funds for travel, they’re also getting a lot of incoming," she said. "Sometimes it looks like people sitting in our parking lots taking down license plate numbers, and taking pictures."

The groups challenging Texas' law, including Planned Parenthood, the American Civil Liberties Union, had been hanging their hopes on the federal district court where they were seeking an order temporarily blocking implementation. Over the weekend, the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals intervened to cancel a planned hearing there, and on Monday the groups filed an emergency petition to the Supreme Court, arguing that the law is unconstitutional.

The high court, or a lower federal court, could still issue a stay in the coming days, halting enforcement of the law and allowing abortions after six weeks of pregnancy to resume.

Abortion rights groups plan to keep challenging the law on the merits, though they warn that millions of Texas women will lose access to the procedure as the case proceeds.

“Patients will have to travel out of state — in the middle of a pandemic — to receive constitutionally guaranteed health care,” Nancy Northup, the president and CEO of the Center for Reproductive Rights, said in a statement. “And many will not have the means to do so. It’s cruel, unconscionable, and unlawful.”

A fetal heartbeat usually can be detected around six weeks of pregnancy, when many women still don’t even know they are pregnant.

And while abortion rights advocates have touted the recent ability to dispense abortion pills via telemedicine and by mail as a way for people in conservative states to evade mounting restrictions on the procedure, the state on Tuesday also sent a ban on mail delivery of the pills to the governor's desk.

Should the Supreme Court overturn or significantly curtail Roe next year, more states are expected to enact near total abortion bans similar to Texas’. Six-week bans enacted by at least a dozen states have all been blocked by courts until now. But the citizen enforcement scheme made the Texas law more difficult to challenge in court, and the Supreme Court's decision to side, for now, against the clinics is likely to encourage copycat bills in other states.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/01/supreme-court-texas-abortion-ban-508275?utm_term=OZY&utm_campaign=pdb&utm_content=Wednesday_09.01.21&utm_source=Campaigner&utm_medium=email

Weird law that attempts to skirt the criminal judicial hurdles by making it a civil issue, and I don't like attempts to end-around the legal system in this manner.  In fact it seems to encourage a bunch of conservative Karens to play Brown shirt and snitch on their neighbors. :thumbsdown:  And I philosophically oppose abortion.

Just now, jerryskids said:

Or technically, refused to hear an emergency petition prior to the law going into effect (they or another court could still ban it down the road).

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/01/supreme-court-texas-abortion-ban-508275?utm_term=OZY&utm_campaign=pdb&utm_content=Wednesday_09.01.21&utm_source=Campaigner&utm_medium=email

Weird law that attempts to skirt the criminal judicial hurdles by making it a civil issue, and I don't like attempts to end-around the legal system in this manner.  In fact it seems to encourage a bunch of conservative Karens to play Brown shirt and snitch on their neighbors. :thumbsdown:  And I philosophically oppose abortion.

I haven't read it but can they go to Oklahoma?  Not onboard with this kind of thing, just curious what is or is not allowed.

15 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

The flip side was people encouraging 13 year olds not to tell their parents.  Sort of forces the civil issue, doesn't it.  

12 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The flip side was people encouraging 13 year olds not to tell their parents.  Sort of forces the civil issue, doesn't it.  

No, it doesn't, not as I read this.  Anyone can report your scenario today, if it is against the law. :dunno:  

Beyond outlawing abortion as early as six weeks into a pregnancy, the Texas law, signed in May, would deputize citizens to file civil suits against abortion providers or anyone who helps facilitate the procedure after six weeks, such as a person who drives a pregnant person to the clinic. Individuals found to have violated the law would have to pay $10,000 to the person who successfully brings such a suit — a bounty abortion rights advocates warn will encourage harassment, intimidation and vigilantism.

It's worse than Nazi, it's paid Nazi bounty hunter.  Oops, not Nazi since it is a civil and not criminal law (winkwink).  If you object to cancel culture I don't see how you can support this which is even worse.

Maybe we also need to deputize citizens to sue companies and universities that hire diversity and inclusion departments.  

• Like 1

Wow, this is a serious escalation in the abortion wars.

• Thanks 1

Liberals should always have a free pass at having their own abortions. Them having kids is like creepy joe leaving American's and allies under taliban control. 

Both a death sentence in the end.  Get it over quick.

I used to have a problem with abortions, I no longer do, the more future democrats we can eliminate the better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

I guess I can't disagree with you on that. 

The number of times I've told a 13 year old girl not to tell something to their parents...

I'll never understand this from the R's. They hate freeloaders and freeloaders pump out more losers that cost the govt $. Yet they don't want them to abort the loser who si destined for a life in loserville.  

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

awesome. im for anything that protects killing babies

They're not babies. They're blastocyst. Your GD toenail clippings have more cells than most of these so-called abortions.

• Like 1

Just now, lod001 said:

I'll never understand this from the R's. They hate freeloaders and freeloaders pump out more losers that cost the govt $. Yet they don't want them to abort the loser who si destined for a life in loserville.  

Agreed. Can we just have sort of a national compromise? We allow women to kill off 12 week old lumps of cells and in return, when people get dementia and cancer and what not, they have the right to kill themselves.

Jesus, we collectively give more of a about Molly Tibbetts killer than we do about The Unborn or the dying.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Liberals should always have a free pass at having their own abortions. Them having kids is like creepy joe leaving American's and allies under taliban control. 

Jeesus, youre focking weird.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lod001 said:

This is where I am at.  No I don't endorse abortion in the late stages like some wackos have pushed.  But generally I am for abortion.   Without abortion we have more pressure on thr welfare system and more importantly more children stuck in crappy living conditions with awful parents.  It is a win all around.  I understand religious people come from a different place on this.  I am not religious.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

They're not babies. They're blastocyst. Your GD toenail clippings have more cells than most of these so-called abortions.

cool story bruh. will my toenails turn into a retard like you? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, lod001 said:

retarded logic. lets just judge everyone here now and kill off who we deem losers🙄

• Like 1

We're not going to resolve this. But I think the one thing that is indisputable is how horribly you didn't answer to the economically disadvantaged. This is no different than it was 50 years ago. The rich can send their daughters off to another state to quote" boarding school. Blacks already have some of the worst pre and neonatal mortality rates in the entire world. Not the first world. THE World. In this country for Christ's sake.

We suck compared to literally every other industrialized nation. And then? We suck compared to second world nation. We have so many poor mothers dying ridiculously easily treatable complications yeah, but then we have these morons who believe and televangelist and angels and... God damn.

Other countries don't have don't have billionsre televangelist. Because they're  not stupid. But the South cultivates it around here. And Newt gingrich's claim to fame? Is getting moronic Southern churches to switch from Democrat to Republican. And the rest as they say, is history.

So the same morons who think that Jesus helped them find their car keys are the same ones who think it's perfectly acceptable to shout down a scared terrified and pregnant 15 year old girl at an abortion clinic. - and now, as before, to make it a crime.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herbivore said:

don't think this will last long

Probably not.  Maybe the court wanted to rule on that Mississippi / 15 week criminal ban first?  :dunno: 

40 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

This is where I am at.  No I don't endorse abortion in the late stages like some wackos have pushed.  But generally I am for abortion.   Without abortion we have more pressure on thr welfare system and more importantly more children stuck in crappy living conditions with awful parents.  It is a win all around.  I understand religious people come from a different place on this.  I am not religious.

It bothers me when people equate an objection to abortion with religious (generally Christian) affiliation.  I am not a practicing Christian but I oppose abortion, maybe not across the board but in general. I think we should limit the ease with which people can kill an innocent, unborn child.  Do you have to be a bible thumper to think that?  I don't believe so.  :dunno: 

I still think this law sucks though.  

There's going to be a lot of disappointed little rat fvkks who won't see $10 let alone $10,000.  Most of these young ladies don't have that kind of money. 

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

It bothers me when people equate an objection to abortion with religious (generally Christian) affiliation.  I am not a practicing Christian but I oppose abortion, maybe not across the board but in general. I think we should limit the ease with which people can kill an innocent, unborn child.  Do you have to be a bible thumper to think that?  I don't believe so.  :dunno: 

I still think this law sucks though.  

I wasn't saying you have to be in your words "a bible thumper" to think that.  All I said is I understand many religious people oppose abortion and that is fine.  Yes of course there are many nonreligious people who oppose it as well.  I wasn't insinuating otherwise.  Perhaps it sounded that way.

5 hours ago, Reality said:

I used to have a problem with abortions, I no longer do, the more future democrats we can eliminate the better. 

I'm continually shocked, astonished actually, at the ongoing fake outrage over abortions by the Right. 

The same sector that biitches-cries-complains about welfare, gov't assistance, tax dollars going to waste are the same ones beating the drum to save babies. I'm like really, no like really really? As soon as these fetuses pop out and hit the ground as humans - you couldn't care less about them if you tried. They act as if these abortions were coming from college educated, well-to-do republican households. 

To the crowd that calls inner city kids and kids of color animals, I'd think they'd welcome all the abortions they can get. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I'm continually shocked, astonished actually, at the ongoing fake outrage over abortions by the Right. 

The same sector that biitches-cries-complains about welfare, gov't assistance, tax dollars going to waste are the same ones beating the drum to save babies. I'm like, really, no like really really? As soon as these fetuses pop out and hit the ground as humans - you couldn't care less about them if you tried. They act as if these abortions were coming from college educated, well-to-do republican households. 

To the crowd that calls inner city kids and kids of color animals, I'd think they'd welcome all the abortions they can get. 

Similarly, the Left purports to defend the honor of people of color, yet they also have the soft bigotry of low expectations.  What if we worked on the culture which currently says "hey, you have no control over focking each other bareback, so just keep on keeping on and we'll vacuum that future human right out of your gut" ???  I believe there was a time before Roe v. Wade where this wasn't a humongous problem.  :dunno: 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Similarly, the Left purports to defend the honor of people of color, yet they also have the soft bigotry of low expectations.  What if we worked on the culture which currently says "hey, you have no control over focking each other bareback, so just keep on keeping on and we'll vacuum that future human right out of your gut" ???  I believe there was a time before Roe v. Wade where this wasn't a humongous problem.  :dunno: 

Indigent people have been focking and reproducing for thousands and thousands of years, they will continue to do so until the end of time. I imagine it's always been a problem, just so happens state sponsored solutions are relatively new.

I'd propose this: 

Abortions are legal, state sponsored even (better to pay $500 now then $1m over time in assistance)........... BUT, during your 2nd abortion - your tubes will be tied. 

What do you think, nuts? 

12 hours ago, porkbutt said:

Amen

This one is such a struggle for me.  

No I do not think it is OK to kill folks because you might be inconvenienced.

But then again, the people who would be inclined to aborting a child are the not kind of people we want parenting.

Then again, when you look at the crop of youth we have now its hard to imagine they could do any worse.

37 minutes ago, RLLD said:

But then again, the people who would be inclined to aborting a child are the not kind of people we want parenting.

While I agree with this, there really is very little to no data on who gets abortions and why. PP doesn't want that info out there. 

47 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

While I agree with this, there really is very little to no data on who gets abortions and why. PP doesn't want that info out there. 

I am on record asserting that I think PP is an insidious organization.  It relies on the protection of radical feminists who are themselves just interested in protecting sluts.   The origins of PP, coupled with how they place their facilities and the outcomes are really macabre.

16 hours ago, porkbutt said:

Except paying for them, huh? How about donating 1/2 your salary to help the govt out paying for these welfare babies. 

I got no problem banning abortion as long as YOU people that want it banned, pay for their existence when the mother cannot afford the child. 

There's too many people on this marble as it is. 

18 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Except paying for them, huh? How about donating 1/2 your salary to help the govt out paying for these welfare babies. 

I got no problem banning abortion as long as YOU people that want it banned, pay for their existence when the mother cannot afford the child. 

warped logic. okay you donate 1/2 of yours to pay for all my poor choices. how about personal responsibility???

• Like 1

Personally, I don't understand why abortion can't be legal and just paid for by the person that's getting it.  I mean, if that person is so poor that they can't afford it, then tell to sell their $1,500 iPhone and cancel their $200 monthly cell phone bill.  :dunno:  That extra $4k should get them by, no?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lod001 said:

1 hour ago, porkbutt said:

warped logic. okay you donate 1/2 of yours to pay for all my poor choices. how about personal responsibility???

Agreed.  It is a false narrative to believe that rational abortion opponents think we should end abortions but not change the incentive structure, thus unleashing millions of unwanted welfare babies.  That would make no sense.  I don't know the answer; perhaps it is something as draconian as @Cruzer's tube tying idea.  :dunno: 

11 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Agreed.  It is a false narrative to believe that rational abortion opponents think we should end abortions but not change the incentive structure, thus unleashing millions of unwanted welfare babies.  That would make no sense.  I don't know the answer; perhaps it is something as draconian as @Cruzer's tube tying idea.  :dunno: 

The answer is easy.  Make the person who wants the abortion, to pay for it.

48 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The answer is easy.  Make the person who wants the abortion, to pay for it.

That solves nothing except the moral feeling that your tax dollars pay to end a human life   The cost of the procedure is mice nuts in comparison to the cost of a welfare baby on society 

I was always ok with safe, legal and rare. But libs have turned me into anti-abortion 🤷‍♂️

Can we take a minute to appreciate RBG?  Because her old ass refused to retire we got here.